Slow-Cooker Recipes

DC in DC

I get it at the Ft. Belvoir commissary, it's from Ashmanco.com, which is a VA Beach company. It looks like they produce a number of sauces, w/ the main ones being VA gentleman sauces (hot, marinades, BBQ, steak), but this is the only one I've tried & it's very good- kind of high in sodium, but mostly natural ingredients. I like Walker's Wood, too, but it's a lot more intense.

It looks like they also produce the Pierce's Pit BBQ sauces, but they don't carry them at the commissary right now, maybe I should put in a request & try them. My sister gave a big thumbs down on my latest rib sauce, Organicville, she said the agave syrup had a funny aftertaste.

I had a bolognese recipe I liked (though didn't love), but it included pancetta and now I need to make a bolognese without pork. Does anyone have a bolognese slow-cooker recipe they like?

We really liked this recipe for pernil-style pork from the Skinnytaste blog. Served it with a tomatillo sauce and it really enhanced it.

Skinny Slow Cooked Pernil (Puerto Rican Pork)
Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes
Servings: 6 • Serving Size: 4 oz Old Points: 4 pts Points+: 4 pts
Calories: 176 • Fat: 7.2 g Protein: 24.4 g Carb: 3.6 g Fiber: 0.2 g

Ingredients:
  • 3 lb pork shoulder blade roast, lean, all fat removed
  • 4-5 cloves garlic, crushed
  • 1 tbsp coarse salt
  • 1/2 tsp oregano
  • 1/2 tbsp cumin
  • 1/4 tsp crushed black pepper
  • 3 oranges, juice of (1/2 cup)
  • 2 limes, juice of

Using a sharp knife, cut slits into the pork and stuff holes with half of the crushed garlic. Combine the remaining ingredients and pour over pork. Place in the ceramic part of the crock pot, cover andrefrigerate, turning pork occasionally so the marinade covers all of pork.

The next day, remove the crock pot and cook on low, 8 hours.

Make rice to serve it with.

After 8 hours, remove pork and shred using two forks. Remove liquid from crock pot and add pork back to crock. Add about 1 cup of the liquid back and adjust salt, pepper and cumin (you will probably need to add more). Let it cook another 15-30 minutes.