Any Bars Let You Play Cards?

kturkey88

I'm not exactly sure if there's a legality issue here but when I went to school in VA, there were definitely college bars that would let us order a few pitchers and play cards at the table.

Are there any bars in DC that would allow this kind of lingering and playing? I'd like to play some low stakes poker with my friends and my apartment isn't ideal. Are there any local places that would let a small group (even if it's just 4 people) sit around a table and play - assuming we would be ordering drinks the whole time?

I'm not exactly sure if there's a legality issue here but when I went to school in VA, there were definitely college bars that would let us order a few pitchers and play cards at the table.

Are there any bars in DC that would allow this kind of lingering and playing? I'd like to play some low stakes poker with my friends and my apartment isn't ideal. Are there any local places that would let a small group (even if it's just 4 people) sit around a table and play - assuming we would be ordering drinks the whole time?

The new Old Dominion Brewery at the convention center will be holding Poker tournaments on Monday nights starting mid-February. I believe that it will be a cashless tournament, but I think I heard something about a big prize for the biggest winners over a period of time (not certain if I really heard this). I believe that there will be two tournaments a night.

I don't know if they would let you play cards at other times, but I would assume so.

I can imagine a number of places that wouldn't mind, and I guess it depends on the atmosphere you're looking for; "pitchers" is telling me low-key dive bar is not a problem, and that is a good thing. In D.C. I've definitely seen card playing at Townhouse Tavern and Fox & Hounds. Adams Mill probably wouldn't care. If there were actually piles of cash changing hands over the table it may be a different story, but if you're doing chips/matchsticks/drink straws and settling up later I can't see how they could mind.

The new Old Dominion Brewery at the convention center will be holding Poker tournaments on Monday nights starting mid-February. I believe that it will be a cashless tournament, but I think I heard something about a big prize for the biggest winners over a period of time (not certain if I really heard this). I believe that there will be two tournaments a night.

I don't know if they would let you play cards at other times, but I would assume so.

Really?! Looks like I know where I will be spending some Monday nights. Anyone else?

I was originally looking for the dive atmosphere more than an organized game night but thanks to everyone for the ideas on both. If anyone's been to some of these organized game nights, I'd be curious to hear how the crowds were at different places...social or serious? Rookies or sharks?

I've played euchre on occassion at Carpool in VA. I can't imagine a bar would mind as long as there was no money/chips on the table and you were ordering plenty of alcohol.
Someone else knows how to play eucre in this city? Robyn and I lived in the midwest for years and are always looking for partners to play over beers, wine or bourbon.

I was originally looking for the dive atmosphere more than an organized game night but thanks to everyone for the ideas on both. If anyone's been to some of these organized game nights, I'd be curious to hear how the crowds were at different places...social or serious? Rookies or sharks?
Ooh, I love me some poker (and I love me some other people's money, I mean chips). If you wind up testing out any of the dives, please post back. I host a weekly game on Sundays and I'm about out of original ideas on some food. Plus, it's about time for someone else to pay. :lol:

FYI,

pretty sure that if any cash changes hands, the bar could loose their liquor certification for having illegal gambling on premesis. gambling + alcohol = bad juju :o , but a "cashless" game :lol: , sure, on a slower night, why not?