Restaurant Week, Summer 2005

monavano

I'd say go to Corduroy before Zola. I think the offerings at Corduroy are more innovative and the presentation more artful.

Seconded. The only thing better at Zola than at Corduroy is the restroom.

Most of my Restaurant Week experiences have been great -- Corduroy, I Ricchi, New Heights, Ceiba, Vidalia, Ten Penh -- and I've only been disappointed twice. 15 ria didn't have many choices available, and the food was good but unexciting -- but they may be different now with the new chef. The one place I really can't recommend is Red Sage -- we really felt we were treated shabbily because we were partaking in RW, and although all the desserts on the menu were included in the promotion, there was only one option for appetizer (Caesar salad) and two for the entree (salmon or chicken breast.) For the life of me I don't understand why restaurants participate if they're going to be stingy and resentful about it.

I've made a reservation at 1789 but my dining companion seems to be souring on Restaurant Week in general so we may try to go some other time during the summer using that coupon.

Looks like Bethesda-Chevy Chase wants in on the RW game. The Washington Business Journal flash today notes that BCC's RW is the week after next July 18-24 and that:

"Participating restaurants include: Brasserie Monte Carlo, Café Europa, La Miche, Clyde's of Chevy Chase, New Orleans Bistro, Mon Ami Gabi, Passage to India, Ri Ra Irish Pub & Restaurant, South Beach Restaurant & Bar, Tragara Ristorante, Caddies on Cordell, Bistro Asiatique, Centro, Divino Lounge & Restaurant, Faryab Restaurant, La Panetteria, Taipei Tokyo, Thyme Square, Trattoria Sorrento and Bacchus Bethesda."

http://www.bizjournals.com/washington/stor...y30.html?f=et87

Nothing makes me jump - suggestions - am I missing something?

Edited to add link to sponsoring group (B-CC Chamber of Commerce):

http://www.bccchamber.org/restaurants/restaurantweek.shtml

(Lunch = $10, Dinner $18 or $25)

Edited by Lydia R

Passage to India!

I've heard some good murmurs about New Orleans Bistro, but I thought that it was at a price point (cheap) that wouldn't much benefit from the Restaurant Week paradigm.

Got reservations at Gaileo, Ten Penh and Cafe Mozu.

Oooooh, sooooo looking forward to it. Hey, does anyone know the dress code at Gaileo for dinner? What should a guy wear? Does he have to wear a jacket and tie or can he get away with a nice button down shirt and slacks with dress shoes?

Looks like Bethesda-Chevy Chase wants in on the RW game. The Washington Business Journal flash today notes that BCC's RW is the week after next July 18-24 and that:

"Participating restaurants include: Brasserie Monte Carlo, Café Europa, La Miche, Clyde's of Chevy Chase, ...

(snip)

I got a note that Clyde's has reopened, with a new upstairs bar...anyone hear anything more about their "new" building?

Regardless, I think this speaks to the level of customer service of this establishment.

Positively or negatively? Given the incidentals (news anchor) I can't tell. Also, if the timing is right it seems this was right when the restaurant was getting the kinks out...

Speaking of which....for any and all who might be interested, I have booked a Restaurant Week DR.com table at Corduroy for Saturday evening, August 6th at 6pm.  Just PM or email me if you would like to join the table.  One need not order off the Restaurant Week menu - entirely up to you.  If you have never been to Corduroy (like me) or have not met other  Rockwellians (like me until recently), this is your chance to try it out.

Thanks to everybody who responded. We have a maxed out table of new and veteran rockwellians set to go. Thank you Rissa for your help!

Need help deciding between Tosca or Taberna del Alabardero for lunch.  Never been to either. What should I expect for a RW lunch?

I haven't been to Taberna for lunch or for RW but can strongly endorse Tosca as a RW option. They offer the entire menu (with a few upcharges) and have approached RW with an enthusiastic attitutude.

Like everyone, I'm trying to decide where to go for RW. I didn't really get to take full advantage during the winter week, so I'm trying to catch up this time round.

I'm going to try and hit up a few with friends, and one for a dinner date, which is where I need some guidance! Here's the list of where I'm going to try and get in, so if anyone has some .02 on where a nice place to take a date would be (preferably one that wouldn't require a jacket/tie and where one might be able to have conversation) that would be grand!

On the list are:

Vidalia

Corduroy

Bistro Bis

Ten Penh

Ceiba

Butterfield 9

Galileo

I'm slowly sorting through past postings on E-Gullet and here to figure out the dress codes, but if anyone can make my life easier, so be it :P

Thanks for any and all .02!

I had an excellent lunch at Vidalia a couple months ago, and they would fit your nice conversation requirement...and you could probably get away with no jacket and tie there, but my impression is Vidalia does tend to attract the more power DC types, so looking spiffy would be a plus.

since i usually only go to one or 2 i am making the most out of this RW. my dinner line up is below:

Monday= Galileo's

Wednesday= Taberna del Alabardero

Friday= Teatro Goldoni

Sunday= Ceiba

looking forward to them all, especially Taberna as we are traveling to Spain in October.

Any comments or suggestions? i have previously been to Galileo's and love it and Ceiba is the last of the trio i have tasted...

I was looking forward to this RW and tried to pick a few places to book, but a little something held me back.

Then, as of last Wednesday, we had around 200 covers on the books for dinner EVERY NIGHT this week, and I will manage seating on three of them.

I had an epiphany.

I am staying the hell away from RW places until it is over. Will give my dinin' dollars to Popeyes if I have to.

Sorry if I offended anyone. RW brings out my outbursts like nothing else.

I was looking forward to this RW and tried to pick a few places to book, but a little something held me back.

Then, as of last Wednesday, we had around 200 covers on the books for dinner EVERY NIGHT this week, and I will manage seating on three of them.

I had an epiphany.

I am staying the hell away from RW places until it is over. Will give my dinin' dollars to Popeyes if I have to.

Sorry if I offended anyone. RW brings out my outbursts like nothing else.

Restaurant Week AKA Baltimore Week :P

I was keen to try 1789 for RW but my dining companion is against RW in general after too many bad experiences. I grudgingly acknowledge he has a point.

Maybe I'll cook!

My husband and I just had that very conversation. (I was pro-adding more RW to our week.)

We've going to Corduroy on Thursday. That's it for now!

I need help w/ a RW decision. I want to make reservations for lunch on Sunday (since that will be my only free meal time) and am debating between Palette, Poste, Tosca, and I Ricchi (and possibly Capitol Grille, as the boyfriend is a big meat and potato fan, and it's accessible to the Hill, where we live. I also don't feel like fighting for parking on a Sunday and spoiling my weekend chill vibe.)

I kind of wanted to try Charlie Palmer's, but alas they are closed on Sundays. So's Galileo.

I am leaning toward Tosca, just because I have never been and am craving good Italian food.

Please help me make a decision so I can get back to work! Thanks!

My vote would be for Palette, it would be an absolute deal on RW - and when I went and paid full price it was still worth it. Recommend the Quail Salad, squash blossoms, and def. the scallop/foie gras dish. For Entrees, the grouper and rabbit. Really great atmosphere BTW. Good Luck choosing!

Edited by vsky

Tosca treated us like crap on RW and we've never been back.

How long ago was this? I got the impression they crapped in their nest the first time they took part, but subsequently realized the mistake and mended their ways. It was good last year.

How long ago was this? I got the impression they crapped in their nest the first time they took part, but subsequently realized the mistake and mended their ways. It was good last year.

I went last summer with a group that would have tried the patience of a saint. They treated us wonderfully.

Thanks for your inputs! I just had a change of plans, and can now do dinner on Sun., so I am going to try Cafe Mozu in the Mandarin Oriental. I would love to do 1789, but they are booked up. However, I am excited to check out this new place!

I hope their black-and-white chocolate martini dessert is on the RW menu...

Although I think it was the first go-round with RW, it could also have been the second. Left us with a monstrosity of a sour taste about that place that even all the good reviews we've heard haven't tempted us to return. They didn't crap in their nest as much as crapped on those of us who visited their nest. F 'em.

We have a cancellation for our donrockwell.com Restaurant Week table at Corduroy this Saturday evening, August 6th at 6pm.  PM or email me if you would like to join us.

Please make sure you can definitely come - given the new cancellation policy and how accomodating Corduory has been for us.   :P

Taken. thanks. Edited by crackers

Did I mention that Mr. BLB isn't a fan of RW?

I make reservations, he wrinkes his nose, I make different reservations and he has to work late.

Go quickly my friends--I just cancelled a table for two on Thursday at 6:30 at Corduroy.

I'm hoping the rumor of an extra week there is true because I made a reservation for next Tuesday night.

Sigh...

Perhaps I'll see if I can get a place at the bar at Dino's tomorrow night....

Jennifer

I understand the upcharge thing. I appreciate having access to a larger range of the menu. But why would you add a charge when the regular price of the item (clearly printed on the menu) plus the upcharge is less then several other items offered without a charge as part of RW?

Le Capesante

Sautéed Scallops wrapped in Bacon served with a Ragu of Cherry Tomatoes, Pattypan Squash, Chiceri Beans and Asparagus in a White Wine Clam Broth

What are chiceri beans? I googled on "chiceri beans" and go no hits (this was after I had typed it "chicheri beans" and gotten a lot of hits about Alejandro Chicheri of the World Food Program and food aid for Haiti...rice, beans, etc. :P ).

I tried to go to Kolumbia (K between 18th & 19th) for RW yesterday for lunch and they turned me away at 2pm.  They said they were too swamped (even though the dining room was half empty and there were 4 people at the bar) and couldn't serve me for at least 30 minutes.  I have to say, I have never been told to come back another time, RW or no RW.  So, I went to Teatro Goldoni and had their $12.50 Chicken Cannelloni with a glass of wine.  Much better service, delicious meal, and noone told me they didn't have time for me - AND THEY WERE SWAMPED at 2pm!

Did you have a reservation?

What are chiceri beans? I googled on "chiceri beans" and go no hits (this was after I had typed it "chicheri beans" and gotten a lot of hits about Alejandro Chicheri of the World Food Program and food aid for Haiti...rice, beans, etc. :P ).

I've not a clue - they were small, fresh tasting green legumes on my plate. They had a texture comparable to edamame.

Then again, I was more focused on the scallop than anything else. Heh. :wub:

Oh yeah, if any eG/DR peeps are going to be at Ten Penh tonight give a holla to say Hi. I'll be there gettin' my chow on. Woo hoo!

Edited by Gastro888

I've put a review of my 1789 visit here: http://www.donrockwell.com/index.php?showt...findpost&p=7300

The bottom line: Over the last year and a half, I've hit 6 places during Restaurant Week and had 6 undeniable winners. I'm convinced that if you take the time to find out both which places have their full menu available and which won't treat you as second class (from this board's discussions), you are going to have a great time.

So taking these six visits into consideration, here's how I'd rate them (mostly on food alone, but if I really got down to it, the ranking would probably be the same for overall experience as well).

1. Ten Penh (I don't know if on a normal day Ten Penh could overtake Corduroy, but something magical happened on the night I was there.)

2. Corduroy (a close second, especially since I can't stop thinking about that lobster salad)

3. Tosca (a tie, may have to let 1789 settle in before making a final decision)

3. 1789

5. DC Coast

6. Ceiba (I always feel bad for the last spot, but Ceiba's no loser)

Edited by The Doctor

1789 (crazeegirl)

Colvin Run Tavern (bilrus)

1789 (JPW)

Poste (mdt)

Poste (laniloa)

David Greggory (gnatharobed)

Cafe Mozu (babka)

Corduroy (bilrus)

Poste (Kanishka)

Corduroy (Capital Icebox)

Colvin Run Tavern (Capital Icebox)