Max's Kosher Cafe, Max Deckelbaum's Amazing Falafel and Shawarma on University Blvd in Wheaton

Holy crap this place is good.  Not sure how I have missed it with all the visits I have made to pho hiep hoa over the past 10 years.  The toppings choices for the sandwiches were outstanding.  I should have gotten medium spicy over full spicy though!

• Like 2

Holy crap this place is good.  Not sure how I have missed it with all the visits I have made to pho hiep hoa over the past 10 years.  The toppings choices for the sandwiches were outstanding.  I should have gotten medium spicy over full spicy though!

That little block is a treasure trove. PHH, Max's, Full Key (which I haven't tried) in the same strip, and La Baguette de Paris makes an inexpensive loaf (it's not great bread, but at least it's cheap.) Around the corner is Ren's Ramen and Ruan Thai.

That depends on what you are shopping for--if you need Kosher, then yes. The time I went the produce looked good and there were other items catering to more than just the Jewish community. I'm not sure how it would rate vs. the market in Rockville (formerly Katz's) But I did run over once when I needed something and was able to find it, just can't recall what it was right now. Murphy's Law I always seem to need to get milk or some other item on a Saturday, so I've not frequented it very often.

That depends on what you are shopping for--if you need Kosher, then yes. The time I went the produce looked good and there were other items catering to more than just the Jewish community. I'm not sure how it would rate vs. the market in Rockville (formerly Katz's) But I did run over once when I needed something and was able to find it, just can't recall what it was right now. Murphy's Law I always seem to need to get milk or some other item on a Saturday, so I've not frequented it very often.

Speaking of the former Katz's - KosherMart, it's been rebranded to Moti's Market, ostensibly to broaden its appeal.

This was all I could find on it: http://digital.washingtonjewishweek.com/i/145840/7

Went recently for the first time and really enjoyed both the felafel and the shawarma. Delicious. And not overly filling or heavy.

Only complaint is I wish the cold stuff (pickles, etc.) was a bit more tempered. I think it would make for an even better sandwich.

Also, imagine this felafel or shawarma on Kapnos' hot, thin delicious flat bread they give you with the dips...mmmmmmmm

Wheaton is the bomb...just saying.

• Like 2

They can falafel me tomorrow.  We're going to brookside first and then it's chow time.

Okay, I don't think I can tell much difference between Max's balls and Amsterdam's balls, possibly because the flavor of the balls are obscured when there's "everything"  else stuffed in a grocery store quality pita.  Also, there were many a bites that I tasted no balls.  So for pure eating enjoyment, I have to say that my experience at Amsterdam was better.  Furthermore, there're no screaming kids or whining kids (those happen to be my own) at Amsterdam.

As for the shwarma plate, there was a paltry amount of meat but lots of everything else.

I did like the matzo ball soup. 

Sad news ... Max's is closing on 7/28/2022.

"We have had the privilege to serve the community since 1994 when we opened Max’s. Our falafel and shawarma turned us into a popular destination and gave us opportunities at FedEx Field and Nat’s Park. With much sadness, we are closing Max’s and our last day of business will be July 28, 2022. 

We want to thank everyone for their patronage over the last 28 years. We have been extremely lucky to have such a long history of serving the community and very grateful for the opportunity. We have worked tirelessly over the past few years to move Max’s. We were given the opportunity to move closer to the community however, due to conditions beyond our control, we are not able to relocate. If the right opportunity arose, we would welcome the idea of reopening. Max, Larry, and Justin Dekelbaum"  

6 hours ago, dracisk said:

Doh! Didn’t see that pras had already broken the sad news.

Just learned on my neighborhood listserv that Max’s is closing later this month. 😭

76413EFE-D66B-4E8D-B049-3E30CE23A06F.jpeg

Terrible news! Best felafel around. I will make sure to stop in before 7/28.

3 hours ago, Pat said:

And I was sad about them leaving the ballpark...Had no idea they were in danger of closing completely.😞

I wonder if the notation on their website mentioning a Nats Park stand update on August 1st is still current. Hmm, that date doesn't seem so random now...

It was bad enough losing both Max Scherzer and Max's Kosher -- who knows what will happen before this year's trade deadline.

https://www.theshalomgroup.com/maxs-cafe-and-catering/venues.html

• Sad 1