Reasonably Priced Enameled Cast Iron Pots - Not Looking To Pay Le Creuset Prices

Pete

Thanks for the feedback.

It was a LeCreuset oven. I was worried about the oval shape fitting on my stoveteop burners, but that was no problem and comments I read seemed to indicate that the oval was easier to handle with a lot of weight and obviously would fit larger(longer) cuts of meat.

I'd appreciate some help here. I see the Le Creuset 7.25qt french oven for $179 on Amazon. I also see the "Mario Batali" 6 qt dutch oven for $99 at Crate and Barrell.

Can someone help me understand the quality/functional difference between the two? The Le Creuset is considered oven safe to 450F while the Batali is advertised as oven safe to 500F. The Le Creuset has a plastic knob where as the Batali has a stainless steel knob. They're both made of enameled cast iron. If it wasn't for my inherent distrust of anything with a celebrity chef's name attached to it, I'd think the Batali was a hands down winner. Is an extra 1.25 quarts worth another $75 or so? Does size really matter...that much?

Le Creuset comes with a lifetime guarantee. The knob on top is not plastic, it is bakelite. I'm not familiar with the Batali model. I have 2 le Creusets, a 5 and an 8 3/4 quart. I've had the 5 quart for over 20 years and it shows very little wear and tear.

If you're unsure, experiment with the unenameled Lodge. A 5 quart will only set you back about $30 at Sears.

Ah, and I see that the Batali is made by Copco.

Le Creuset comes with a lifetime guarantee. The knob on top is not plastic, it is bakelite. I'm not familiar with the Batali model. I have 2 le Creusets, a 5 and an 8 3/4 quart. I've had the 5 quart for over 20 years and it shows very little wear and tear.

If you're unsure, experiment with the unenameled Lodge. A 5 quart will only set you back about $30 at Sears.

Ah, and I see that the Batali is made by Copco.

Thanks for the good data, JG. I found that the Batali (persimmon colour only) was on sale for $59. So I figured, what the heck? Just put it on order. If it sucks, well, there's still time to ask the in-laws for the Le Creuset for Christmas.

Thanks for the good data, JG. I found that the Batali (persimmon colour only) was on sale for $59. So I figured, what the heck? Just put it on order. If it sucks, well, there's still time to ask the in-laws for the Le Creuset for Christmas.

If you have a TJMaxx or HomeGoods store near you check them out as they have some crazy deals on Le Creuset from time to time.

I picked up the Batali pot when it was on sale for about that price awhile back (with free shipping, it was a no-brainer). Been great so far. Who knows whether it will last like Le Creuset, but the heft and quality seem comparable-- the Batali pot looks and feels like it's very well made.

The knob on top is not plastic, it is bakelite.

To be totally pedantic, Bakelite is plastic. It was, in fact, the first plastic made from synthetic polymers (according to Wikipedia).

Unenameled cast-iron dutch ovens have never made any sense to me at all. I actually had one many years ago. No matter how well seasoned I managed to get the thing by frying in it (which did nothing for the lid, of course), and treating it with oil and baking it, once used for braising the seasoning would be completely destroyed and anything braised in it tasted like rust. It was awful. How do you braise successfully in unenameled cast iron?

Le Creuset comes with a lifetime guarantee. I've had the 5 quart for over 20 years and it shows very little wear and tear.

I've had a seven quart round, used frequently for 30 years and other than the white interior being a bit discolored, it's as good as new. Periodically, I soak the pan with a bleach solution to brighten it, and I need to do it again. RE the lifetime guarantee, I've heard that they will send you another handle, if it ever breaks. I haven't had any experience with that, but did get several brand new Calphalon pots when I sent that company 25 year old anodized saucepans that had worn out their coating inside.

I have looked at these products at Sur La Table, and they seem quite nice. Good and heavy and well finished. And $59 seems like a steal. One caveat. Be sure you like the color. Because if it is as good as advertised, you will be living with that color for the rest of your life. My 30 year-old Le Creuset is chocolate brown. It was a gift whose source was not revealed, so was not exchangeable. It's not that bad, but all of the Le Creusets I have since bought for myself are dark blue. I like blue. Not that crazy about brown. I suspect the "persimmon" color Batali pots are on sale because not that many people are drawn to that burnt orange color. I noticed that the Batali pots that are being sold exclusively at Crate and Barrel are red.

Uhm, Zora... If you're still having problems "adjusting" to the color, I'd be glad to take the chocolate brown Le Creuset off your hands.

Be sure you like the color. Because if it is as good as advertised, you will be living with that color for the rest of your life. My 30 year-old Le Creuset is chocolate brown. It was a gift whose source was not revealed, so was not exchangeable. It's not that bad, but all of the Le Creusets I have since bought for myself are dark blue. I like blue. Not that crazy about brown.

Uhm, Zora... If you're still having problems "adjusting" to the color, I'd be glad to take the chocolate brown Le Creuset off your hands.

Oh, darlin'--the only way anyone could take that pot off my hands is if they were cold and dead. It's become a major piece of my culinary history. It may not match any of my other kitchen accoutrements, but it is in regular use and will continue to be. And, for the record, there is no larger meaning. Chocolate is my favorite food, too. The darker the better.

If you have a TJMaxx or HomeGoods store near you check them out as they have some crazy deals on Le Creuset from time to time.
Tuesday Morning's flyer shows Le Creuset on sale--I don't recall seeing a price however. Sale starts tomorrow at 8am (for those who may want to swing by after voting since there's already an excuse for being late to work) Their ad says everything is 50-80% off.

My one enameled piece for the longest time has been a round 26cm Cousances doufeu (~5.5 qt), found on sale at the Le Creuset outlet, but when used for baking Lahey's no-knead bread, I find that it's just a bit too wide and yields a relatively flat round loaf.  So it was time to shop for a slightly smaller-diameter Dutch oven, preferably one with a better enamel than the relatively cheap and chip-prone pieces that flood the celebrity chef-endorsed aisles these days.  Shapewise, I think I've found it: a 4.25 qt cocotte from "Fleur by Fontignac", from a firm now owned by Staub Group.  Fontignac's "Vitriliss" finish appears to be a two-layer enamel instead of Staub's three-layer, and the newer pieces are made with a dark interior enamel a la Staub.  The discontinued Fleur line, however, is described as sporting the slightly preferable cream-colored interior, but there seems to be some uncertainty about this...I see some customer comments that it's actually the dark interior.  Sierra Trading Post says it's made in France - but their descriptions seem to be faulty; Wayfair says it's made in China.  Who's right?

Does anybody have any experience with Fontignac enameled cast iron?  Sierra Trading Post shows the 4.25 qt round on closeout for a paltry $70, "almost gone".

[2016-02-17 ETA: if an eBay listing is to be believed, parent conglomerate Zwilling Henckels is also clearing these out direct from their NY warehouse for twice the price, and lists them as made in France.  From other listings, I infer that the Fleur name had previously been applied to a variant with a fleur-de-lis knob and the cream interior, but was most recently applied to one with a round knob and dark interior.]

The Williams Sonoma outlet in Leesburg also has good deals from time to time.  I was in the right place and the right time and lighting stuck, as I walked by the clearance rack as they were putting a 12 piece set on the rack.  Because it was on the clearance rack, it was 50% off the marked down price, and on top of that we got the 40% employee discount, which brought to to something like $120.  Oh, it was missing the square grill pan, but it did have the round frying pan, so I guess it was an 11 piece set. Bottom line, we love the pots, although they are too heavy for my wife to use.

• Like 2

Do any other companies make enameled cast iron cookware similar to Le Creuset? I don't want to spend $150-$175 for a 6 quart french oven.

For whatever it's worth, I did spring for a large Le Creuset Dutch Oven, and I still have it 15+ years later - it's like new. Now, granted, I haven't used it much, but it has weathered the years, even if it remains untested in terms of "number of times used."

FWIW, Sierra Trading Post currently lists a 5.5 qt Fontignac cocotte on closeout for $99 in red or blue.  Unclear what the lid knob material is, but the specs say oven safe to 485 F.  And to clarify earlier posts, these are made in France.

I should say that the smaller one I purchased last year has been excellent so far, and I just came back from glamping with it for 1 1/2 weeks as my primary pot.  The enameling may not be as glossy on the exterior as Staub's, but for performance and durability on the interior it has been first rate.

https://www.sierratradingpost.com/fontignac-round-cocotte-with-lid-55-qt~p~223gp/

A bit OT but I thought I'd share.

This is a pic from a place in the heart of the Castro that sells dishware and is also a hardware store.

All of the Le Creuset pieces (which are easily identifiable I might add) are in the $25 to $30 range. The white ramekins are not Le Creuset, and so, don't count.

DSC00294-001.JPG.7b51922950fa2da99036e78d9b758734.JPG

DSC00296-001.JPG.630de4a1948b5d2bb5eaa9c5af2f38a0.JPG

DSC00298-001.JPG.f196f411d6558dafd5f8f813ad3c182a.JPG

I was especially surprised by the mortar and pestle. I bought an M&P at Bed, Bath & Beyond for 1/3 of that price in 2000 and had it up until my departure from New York City.

DSC00299-001.JPG.ebcdc761394af0123ded300bfbe9ab24.JPG

DSC00300-001.JPG.20e6a4a6753339d142bc804a93d543d6.JPG

DSC00301-001.JPG.b045cb78f5436c8bc527675bcb230dcd.JPG

DSC00302-001.JPG.08bc7bb89b6949037cc834d3b32cc320.JPG

On 7/12/2005 at 11:40 AM, monavano said:

Lodge enameled cast iron comes from a family on long proven cookware, for far less than Le Creuset (which hasn't impressed me as being hearty and long lasting)

https://secure.lodgemfg.com/storefront/prod...408&menu=enamel

Staub also makes beautiful ovens. Not cheap though.

http://www.staubusa.com/index.asp

I had a Lodge Dutch oven that lasted for years. The only reason I don't have it anymore is it was so heavy, I decided not to move it across country.

On 8/29/2017 at 7:35 PM, DIShGo said:

I had a Lodge Dutch oven that lasted for years.

Mine is almost 10 years old and still looks perfect. I like that the top handle is metal. Got mine on Amazon and love the classic design (more squared edges). A quick search today, however, shows that they've really changed their design to ape the Le Creuset look - I like the old look better. 

Second on the Lodge. They have in the past occasionally put certain models with certain colors on really good online sales.  

I bought a 3-quart shallow casserole in red for about $60.  Also found a green 7-quart round dutch oven for just under $100 at such a sale.

I also have two Daniel Boulod Kitchen (DBK, long since discontinued) oval coquettes  (3 qt and 5 qt) that my wife gave me as a gift, that I have really enjoyed for over 10 years. Like Lodge enameled, it was also made in China, and is not as stout as a Staub or Le Creuset on the enamel.  But the price difference, and given how long they have lasted from heavy use, it's been worth it.

I have found that I have pretty much only been cooking stove top on regular or enameled cast iron over time.  I break out the All-Clad for a very few techniques, like searing scallops.

I still lust after the Staub, though, every time I walk in a Sur La Table.