100% Chance of Snow Blowing

Ilaine

Yep. The one area that had been completely cleaned out at Wegmans yesterday was the sour cream/dip section.

I notice that pretty much everything related to nachos/chili/general tex/mex was running low.

Been in six grocery stores since yesterday at 5PM, interesting contrasts. Hitting HT at 5PM and WF at 8:15AM (no whole chickens at either stop, settled on steaks from WF for the weekend's "nice" dinner. Cue the Bernaise.) I came in just under the crowds -- kind of thing where the lines double in length just while you're standing in them. On Mt. Pleasant St., the Super Savor -- the "big" grocery store -- had shoppers backed all the way up the aisles, while the Mercado Internationale had no lines, a big piece of chuck and a butcher right there to slice three pounds off for me, and my new favorite mid-price vino (Gascon Malbec from Argentia, a WA "Best Buy" at $12.99) courtesy of their brand new liquor license. And, in search of the final ingredient -- Heinz chili sauce for the oyster pan roast -- I walked by the 17th Street Safeway and the 19th Street Townhouse on the way from WF to my office this morning. 17th St. was a mob scene, 19th Street, which had 95% of the stuff that was being bought on 17th Street, was almost empty.

I've visited the commissary at Ft. Belvoir both yesterday & today, at 8:30 a.m.-slightly busy yesterday & definitely busy today. Also, they're in the process of remodelling, so quite a few things are closed off or in different places-meat, bread, ice cream. I was focused & used self checkout both times. Today, I had 2 older ladies, who had clearly never used self checkout before & both of whom had way more than 20 items in their carts in front of me, when they went together to one of 4 self-checkout stands, I zoomed around them & was out of there, before the beleaguered attendant could show them the process (I bet she had to scan every item for them)...

Yep. The one area that had been completely cleaned out at Wegmans yesterday was the sour cream/dip section.

I don't know. The produce section at the Glover Park Whole Foods no longer had a produce section at about 7:30 last night. . .unless you were interested in cucumbers. They had plenty of cucumbers.

Aw man. I legitimately need to go to the store. I've been gone a month, and while I have lots of stuff in the freezer, I need bread and milk and eggs and yogurt... but surely those are exactly the things that will be gone. Rats.

What do you think the odds are that I could find a restaurant that delivers tomorrow?

My local Giant, last night at 9pm, was out of:

• Milk, Eggs, Yogurt
  • Bread of all kinds
  • Meat (a little bit of sad-looking chicken parts left)
  • Deli
  • Vegetables (a couple heads of iceberg was all that was green in the produce section)
  • Most fruit (a few apples and grapes left)
  • Pasta
  • Toilet paper

It was surreal to walk through the store and see so many empty shelves/aisles.

Harris Teeter on Capitol Hill remains pretty well stocked -- I didn't check milk, but eggs, bread, and produce are full. The lines are pretty ridiculous to look at, but at least three hours ago, they moved pretty quickly.

I know the parking situation is out of control, but it's probably getting better, and the streets are still fairly clear.

Mr. MV took the bullet this morning and went to the Safeway at Kingstowne. At around 9am, he had to wait to get a cart, but interestingly, found everything on my list except for a few fresh herbs (go figure).

The lines were 30 deep, but he got into the collective line for the self check-outs, and surprisingly made his way to the registers post haste. He filled our car and a gas container, in case we need to crank up the generator.

I've got a brisket already braised and sliced, but won't eat it until tomorrow, when it's sure to taste even better.

Tonight, my fridge dictated our dinner, which will be crab cakes the size of fists (Phillips lump from Costco), Asian slaw and hand-cut fries. Just like summertime....ahhh.

The Clarendon Whole Foods was packed at 8am this morning. No carts or baskets were available, lines stretched towards the back of the store, and luckily I walked there because the parking lot was a mess.

Say "hi" next time! I was amazed at how the poultry section was raided and empty, as well as, again, the canned tomatoes. Many people were clueless about the lines that ran down the aisles, but I was impressed by the WF staff that were directing traffic at each of the lines. All the produce folks were hurrying to catch up on stocking. Thanks to goldenticket, I have a nice rack of baby backs for later. After the panic.

I couldn't find cilantro at. Whole Foods or MOMS. Aside from that, we are we stocked and should have fun cooking this weekend.

Cilantro is 50 cents a bunch at Best Way (SS) where I bought mine at around 2 PM.

Just came back from the last round. Hit Giant, Best Way, Safeway and half an hour after it was supposed to close, WFM, and got everything I needed and more. There's enough in the house to get me through a couple of weeks, I am sure, though I regret not having access to Atwater's Struan and Quaker Valley's Pink Lady apples.

Having dry-brined for three days, a roasting chicken is going in the oven shortly. Heinz's sweet potatoes on side and last night's braised kale.

I have sour cream [one of three full-fat left, on sale at Giant], scallions, limes, cilantro and fire-roasted tomatoes (Muir Glen sale at WFM) to go with a big pot of pintos I plan on making tomorrow, probably to accompany cornbread.

There's dried fruit to transform leftover roasted chicken into one of Ferran Adria's home-cooking recipes (pine nuts, prunes, apricots, dried sour cherries, cinnamon, zest...).

Snow should have melted by the time I get around to some pork ribs in the freezer that will get a treatment that Cedarbrook's Dave recommends: oven braising in heavy foil, then reduce liquids [apple cider and cider vinegar] on stove top to glaze meat and finish (an Alton Brown method found online). Will do easy oven-polenta and braised cabbage to go with.

Plus there's molasses and plenty of milk to drink w warm gingerbread atop chilled applesauce.

Stopped by Dean & DeLuca in Gtown late this afternoon and it wasn't too crowded. Apparently it was slammed in the a.m. Got some of my favorite goodies: chicken apricot salad, Proscuitto di Parma, Savanah Bee Co. honey, Kusmi Anastasia tea (black tea w/ lemon, bergamot, and orange blossom), and jumbo sea salt carmels. I also found some decent bread at the Dupont Marvelous Market (kalamata olive--as of 11 am there was no bread at the Gtown Marvelous Market). Went to the Van Ness Giant around 7, and lines were normal although many shelves were bare. Tried to make it to Calvert Woodley too, but apparently it closed early.

It really does look and feel like a Snowmaggedon, Snowpocalypse, and a Foodapolooza too.

I failed to buy "interesting" crackers for Mr. BLB. Need to track down a recipe to make some tomorrow.

MKTYE makes great crackers and has posted her recipes on dr.com. Mark Bittman has some really easy recipes.

My baking today is going to be pretzels and biscotti. But first I must clean.

No baking. No cooking. No power!!! Never got around to buying a grill or a generator. Sigh...

We're pretty much guaranteed to have power....ever since we bought a generator ! Seriously, we had prolonged outages until we got it. I think we'll be grilling burgers for lunch.

We have underground power lines here so we generally don't have a problem during storms (unless a transformer above ground somewhere gets hit). When I was a kid, our power went out a lot, and I'm happy not to keep repeating those episodes.

I've got a chicken roasting in the oven and one simmering on the stove for soup. I'm figuring salad, soup and sandwiches for an alliterative snowy dinner.

There is something lovely about driving around in the snow - flakes, swirling with a peaceful hush, and nary another car, except for the plows and diggers (loading snow into the County dump trucks).

For those interested, Whole Foods Clarendon was not open as of 9am, their parking lots were not plowed and actually blocked. Harris Teeter on Glebe Road in Arlington was open and the lot is very nicely plowed as it can get in this wet snow.

No baking. No cooking. No power!!! Never got around to buying a grill or a generator. Sigh...

Miraculously, we have not lost power. Yet. We so rarely have any kind of heavy wind, ice or snow event where we don't lose our power, that this is something special, indeed. Even if we do lose power, we have a wood stove for heat, gas for cooking, a charcoal bbq oven outside, and the water always stays on. The big concern is keeping the contents of the refrigerator and freezer stable if there is a multi-day power outage. Once we were out for six days. I managed to keep things from spoiling by buying dry ice at the local Safeway. The store was recently renovated, however, and I'm not sure they even have dry ice there any more.

Having a freezer full of meals to see us through the kitchen renovation seemed a great idea, until the power went out about 22 hours ago.

Dinner tonight was microwave nachos. Pulled a jar of tomatillo salsa out of the freezer and added it to the grocery bag (along with chips, cheddar, and a box grater) we took along to the hotel. I'm not complaining: finally got a hot shower. Finally warm. Finally have an internet connection.

There's a new Winter Storm Watch for Tuesday afternoon through Wednesday afternoon for an additional 5+" of snow.

I keep pretty well stocked, but it looks like the first food item I am going to run out of is fresh garlic. I do have garlic powder, though. Onions also running low, but I have some dehydrated onions.

Took a run out to Super H today. The roads were snow covered but passable. There might have been 50 people in the store when we got there. Lots of fresh fruits and veggies (didn't check the toilet paper supply), not much milk. There was no line at any of the registers so we were in and out in about 45 minutes which might be a new record for us.

I think we ended up at around 24", no power loss (thank goodness, cause I was lazy & didn't lay in firewood this fall), & my wonderful neighbor came over w/ his snowblower & did our driveway. I baked some poundcakes this afternoon & took one down to them. Dinner tonight was an interesting mix of pork & sauerkraut, over buttered yellow potatoes & a big wok full of fried rice. My DH is out of town (he always misses big snowfalls, wherever we live) & my biggest concern is how soon the children will go back to school ;)

The children are never going back to school.

We got power back late last night.

Ventured out to Trader Joe's around 11:00 this morning to a seriously decimated store--between the power outage and the panicked shopping before the storm, they were bare bones.

Did pick up frozen cilantro.

Will need milk Tuesday or Wednesdau.

I'm going to run out of Parmesan really soon ;)

Shortly after reading this note, I ran out of power. No refrigeration. No lights. No oven. No heat. Day Two: 55 F in the morning w all burners blazing, water boiling non-stop, temperature raised to 60 F!!!

Day Three: Lights went on at 3:52 AM, but not refrigerator, not oven, no heat. No hot water, unless boiled. 50 F currently. More water on the stove.... so much for gingerbread!

Day Three: Lights went on at 3:52 AM, but not refrigerator, not oven, no heat. No hot water, unless boiled. 50 F currently.

There's no reason that the lights would be on and nothing else unless the circuit breakers flipped when the power went out--have you checked the breaker box?

There's no reason that the lights would be on and nothing else unless the circuit breakers flipped when the power went out--have you checked the breaker box?

Yes. Fuse box is inside our own kitchen vs. elsewhere and all switches are on. Not all lights or outlets in apt. are operating, however, so it is likely there are fuses elsewhere. I live in a huge apt. complex w multiple buildings and three different systems used for power, so I was told (second-hand, so I couldn't quiz for logic). Heat (boiler? furnace?) and something else separate from lights. Once oatmeal's consumed, I'll call mgt.; the office is closed.*

Not wishing to stray too far from culinary matters, but yesterday at least, I could walk a mile to reach a Border's that was open until 7 PM. (Whole Foods, nearby, closed at 4 PM.) Found myself one of many there for the same reasons: indoor warmth and working outlets to recharge cellphones! There was a couple who took cab from next town over; they have an electric stove--so no ways to get warm at all!

Trudging back, ran into Pepco crew two blocks away that had been sitting for 5 hours waiting for road crew and tree crew which it needed, respectively to clear side street and remove fallen tree before it could reach the power source for my complex. Tree guys had just arrived, no road crews in sight, though there were plenty downtown. With dark descending, tree guys left. Then Pepco. Fraction of this kind, cold, weary gang returned later to restore some of the power, though I see no signs of activity now.

(BTW: despite all advice to park on curbs vs. street to prepare for storm, the streets were lined w cars. No work could proceed until cars were towed. We could have had full power restored earlier were this not the case.)

*Closed.

Yes. Fuse box is inside our own kitchen vs. elsewhere and all switches are on. Not all lights or outlets in apt. are operating, however, so it is likely there are fuses elsewhere. I live in a huge apt. complex w multiple buildings and three different systems used for power, so I was told (second-hand, so I couldn't quiz for logic). Heat (boiler? furnace?) and something else separate from lights. Once oatmeal's consumed, I'll call mgt.; the office is closed.*

Not wishing to stray too far from culinary matters, but yesterday at least, I could walk a mile to reach a Border's that was open until 7 PM. (Whole Foods, nearby, closed at 4 PM.) Found myself one of many there for the same reasons: indoor warmth and working outlets to recharge cellphones! There was a couple who took cab from next town over; they have an electric stove--so no ways to get warm at all!

Trudging back, ran into Pepco crew two blocks away that had been sitting for 5 hours waiting for road crew and tree crew which it needed, respectively to clear side street and remove fallen tree before it could reach the power source for my complex. Tree guys had just arrived, no road crews in sight, though there were plenty downtown. With dark descending, tree guys left. Then Pepco. Fraction of this kind, cold, weary gang returned later to restore some of the power, though I see no signs of activity now.

(BTW: despite all advice to park on curbs vs. street to prepare for storm, the streets were lined w cars. No work could proceed until cars were towed. We could have had full power restored earlier were this not the case.)

*Closed.

When I read stories like this, it hits home how really lucky we have been to get through this storm without losing our power, though we are better equipped than many to ride out a power outage, having a wood stove to huddle around to stay warm.

When I read stories like this, it hits home how really lucky we have been to get through this storm without losing our power, though we are better equipped than many to ride out a power outage, having a wood stove to huddle around to stay warm.

We feel lucky, too. After I surmised upthread somewhere that chances of our power going out were slim due to having no power failures after shelling out the $$ for a generator, our power and lights flickered in warning of my hubris.

We feel lucky, too. After I surmised upthread somewhere that chances of our power going out were slim due to having no power failures after shelling out the $$ for a generator, our power and lights flickered in warning of my hubris.

During the ice storm a few years ago we lost power for 6 days. When our power went out for a mere 30 seconds on Saturday a feeling of dread came over me as I relived that week in my mind. As Iggy Pop said - "No fun." Rather than the other cute names, I am starting to call all of this snow a craptacular.

Just found out the true story. In light of the large number of outages in my region, Pepco decided to provide Phase I of three levels of power to my neighborhood.

Ran into mgt. in the hallways where the emergency lights are out since the power to the generator is out; we may have even more power (i.e. heat) in a couple of hours, but there is no certainty. And as you know, another bout of snow is on the way.

Imagine being elderly, wheel-chair bound, or otherwise stuck up on the eighth floor.

At least, I am able to get to warmth on foot, and until 7 PM tonight, by bus if need be.

No snow cones for me!

^ So sorry. We have two tree branches dangling from the wires outside, but the wires have not broken (yet) and the power is still on. I imagine they will get to us after all the power is restored everywhere else, or as soon as we report in that the wires have broken. At least they have us in the computer as having reported a problem.

If anyone in NOVA still needs to shop, Harris Teeter at Shirlington is fully stocked, and the parking garage makes life a little easier.

I don't think you're the only one sick of comfort food. At Churchkey last night, everybody was ordering salads...

how can you eat a salad in this weather?

We've been eating salad pretty much every day ;). It's not unusual for us to eat salad in winter, though. It's about the only source of fresh vegetables in the house right now as well.

Given that I'm not getting any real exercise (except for sporadic bursts of shoveling), I need some lettuce and cukes to balance out the mashed potatoes :P.

What I'm dreaming of:

post-6363-126565419925_thumb.jpg

(from my photopoetry series ... and I thought the top one was a lot of snow when I lived in Maine!)

We drank fake Coronas (aka Trader Jose premium lager imported from Mexico) with lime wedges last night for our Super Bowl dinner. Red wine to match the braised beef would have made more sense, but fake Coronas seemed better with football ;).

We've been eating salad pretty much every day ;). It's not unusual for us to eat salad in winter, though. It's about the only source of fresh vegetables in the house right now as well.

Given that I'm not getting any real exercise (except for sporadic bursts of shoveling), I need some lettuce and cukes to balance out the mashed potatoes :P.

Haha, well I get that...but out at a restaurant...when I've just walked in from the cold, and I'm staring down the options of either:

a. short rib chili and cornbread

b. various hot panini

c. flatbreads with hot, melty cheese and various toppings or

d. a cobb salad with cold lettuce, cold bacon, cold hard boiled egg, and cold blue cheese

I would find it near impossible to go for that last option.