100% Chance of Snow Blowing

Ilaine

A foot of snow would be a lot more fun than this ice storm crap.

You just made my evening :lol:

I'm a PNW native and this slushy, icy goop drives me wacky.

Today was a day for hot toddies and keeping your fingers crossed that the power didn't go out. There might be a run on liquor stores in our area :o

Who’d have thunk?

Crews from the District Department of Transportation (DDOT) and Department of Public Works (DPW) began pre-treating roadways with brine (a salt and water mixture) yesterday in anticipation of falling precipitation on Wednesday.

Crews from the District Department of Transportation (DDOT) and Department of Public Works (DPW) began pre-treating roadways with brine (a salt and water mixture) yesterday in anticipation of falling precipitation on Wednesday.

Uh-oh... back to the "to brine or not to brine" argument. I wonder if it will make the gravy too salty? :o

I am not one to stock up before a big snow, so I went through my cupboards to see what was there. First up - macaroni and cheese! with asiago, sharp provolone, a bit of fontina and Parmesan and bread crumb topping. With caramelized shallots. I do regret not getting some dried cherries because I was going to make granola. I doubt the 7-11 across the street has those.

We will see how long I last before I make a gingerbread martini!

What are you cooking/roasting/sauteing/baking/stuffing/braising/bruleeing today?

I want the oven on, and everyone ate all the cookies I baked last week, so I may do another few batches today. I'm tempted to make tea with melted snow since I've still got some baihao oolong. It's supposed to be a tea delicacy, but maybe that's in less polluted areas....

Ambition probably far from reality, but all pretty undemanding:

A second breakfast now: buttermilk pancakes w blueberries (oatmeal consumed before dawn)

Doctor a jar of Mott's natural applesauce w reduced, mulled cider and one fresh apple (mull the cider first; couldn't pick up the jar and apples I wanted from Quaker Valley this morning :angry: )

Lentil soup

Gingerbread, also w buttermilk

Maybe some cranberry sauce and granola

Also picked up some marshmallows at Whole Foods just in case I have enough energy to hit the trail. There's Valrhona cocoa in the cupboard, if a couple of years old...

Today's going to be fun.

For breakfast, scrapple and potato hash with eggs over easy.

For dinner, braised lamb shanks with Moroccan spices.

In between, will probably:

* get a no-knead bread ready for tonight or tomorrow

* bake chocolate chip cookies

* trudge through the snow and see anything is open for lunch on U Street!

Cinnamon-streusel jumbo muffins

Turkey and three-bean chili. "Alarm" factor depending on how cold we get playing in the snow.

Hard Times Cinci-style chili with beef, 3 beans, some tomatoes that need to be used, maybe some bell pepper, Rotel tomatoes and green chilies, a beer. I've got macaroni to serve it over and garnishes of shredded cheeses, sour cream and scallions.

If this chili was a dog, it would be a lovable mutt.

Got some short ribs and a hunk of crosscut beef shank, Malliarded the hell out of 'em, took em out, threw in shallots, onions, celery, various spanish paprikii, then beef broth along with the brew left over after hydrating some dried chanterelles. Now it's in the oven at 250 for the foreseeable future. I'll saute some portobellas and the formerly dried stuff, and then decide whether or not to add it to my braise, or maybe top some toasted sourdough with it.

Cleaning out the fireplace

(thankful I brought a bunch of wood in last night so I don't have to dig it out today)

Shopping online for gifts

(what on earth am I going to get my dad??? and will he mind that he's now not going to get the box until new year's?)

Cleaning for mom's visit

(do I really need to do the floors?)

Baking up a batch of Chex mix, redux

(glad I made it out yesterday for nuts and Cheerios!)

Possibly baking up Aunt Kay's butter cookies

(do I have enough butter? and will they be okay without sprinkles?)

Venturing out for a birthday party at the Red Derby

(pray for me)

Post shoveling: Mexican hot chocolate (we had a box of the sugared chocolate bars for this) spiked with Kahlua.

Lunch: Welsh Mac-n-cheese, essentially Welsh Rarebit over mac.

For dinner: Rack of lamb with oven-roasted spiced potatoes and baby choy.

We'll be doing "yellow snow" later today, which is maple syrup over snow. I may also do a green tea powder version. And, of course, for the adults only, we have all these beautiful, brightly colored liquors to pour over snow.

Holiday baking:

Rosemary shortbread

Lemon Crisp cookies

Chocolate cracks

Dark Chocolate dipped Biscotti.

I love to make soups, stews and chilis when it snows.

Breakfast: 2 poached eggs on toasted Atwater's sunflower bread

Lunch: leftover curried butternut squash and red lentil soup with ginger

Dinner: barley stew with leeks, crimini mushrooms, rosemary and kale

Sadly, this won't quite measure up to the dinner we were planning to have tonight at Marcel's prior to seeing a play at the Kennedy Center.

That won't be happening :angry:

Working on Chicken Parmigiano sandwiches with last night's leftover breaded chicken cutlets for lunch. I'm trying to salvage the Amoroso rolls I had in the freezer, which are suffering from varying degrees of freezer burn :angry:.

Later I'm baking some buttermilk dinner rolls. Dinner will be those, salad, meatloaf, broccoli, and baked potatoes. I am thawing some beef stew meat for tomorrow's dinner. If it's close enough to thawed, I may go ahead and make the stew this afternoon.

Yesterday, I bought a hunk of pork shoulder at Wagshal's. Haven't completely settled on what I'm going to do with it. Probably pozole.

After round 1 of shoveling this morning, I made waffles with Trader Joe's Pumpkin Pancake and Waffle mix (bought a box a few weeks ago after reading about it here and hadn't gotten around to using any)--verdict was-- GOOD! Well, the Niman Ranch bacon and Peet's café au lait helped, too. I'm waiting on delivery of a replacement switch for my espresso machine, so no cappuccino for now.

Meanwhile, there's leftover chicken korma in the refrigerator.

Yesterday, I bought a hunk of pork shoulder at Wagshal's. Haven't completely settled on what I'm going to do with it. Probably pozole.

Ah, great minds. :angry: I have posole on the stove for tomorrow's tree-trimming. If time permits, I'd love to throw some anadama bread in the oven. Azami made rice for breakfast, which we ate under the heated table while feeling nostalgic for the deep winters of northern Japan.

-Oatmeal this morning with maple syrup and blueberries picked and frozen this summer

-Banana chocolate chip muffins that we are enjoying now slathered with Kerrygold salted butter

-Salt dough ornaments for the kids to paint this afternoon

-eyeballing some brie I have and wondering if there is puff pastry in the freezer downstairs

-not sure what dinner will be, pizza perhaps. Should probably throw my dough together if that's the plan.

Intermittent breaks to try to figure out this dead electrical circuit in our house. Fortunately it doesn't affect the kitchen!

Older son is going through an Indian food phase, so I gave him my debit card and sent him to Wegman's last night to stock up. There will definitely be braises.

Younger son, ever competitive, is going to make his own braises from a Georgian cookbook -- Georgia as in former Soviet Union.

I am going to try the Cook's Illustrated version of French onion soup. You start the onions in the oven, it's supposed to be less work-intensive.

And work on rearranging the kitchen in anticipation of new countertops.

After a few too many hot beverages in Shirlington with the neighbors (before the Carlyle Grand closed due to lack of staff and lack of deliveries)...simply slow cooking a Jehovah-Jireh chicken with russet and sweet potatoes plus various dried herbs/seasonings.

Penzey's mulling spices also working their magic on wine via the stove.

(smells like christmas)

(feels like narnia)

(minus the snow queen...perhaps i can audition?)

Post shoveling: Mexican hot chocolate (we had a box of the sugared chocolate bars for this) spiked with Kahlua.

Lunch: Welsh Mac-n-cheese, essentially Welsh Rarebit over mac.

For dinner: Rack of lamb with oven-roasted spiced potatoes and baby choy.

We'll be doing "yellow snow" later today, which is maple syrup over snow. I may also do a green tea powder version. And, of course, for the adults only, we have all these beautiful, brightly colored liquors to pour over snow.

Holiday baking:

Rosemary shortbread

Lemon Crisp cookies

Chocolate cracks

Dark Chocolate dipped Biscotti.

Ooh could you share your rosemary shortbread recipe? It sounds wonderful.

buttermilk waffles

fennel cooked slowly with onion, seasoned with crushed fennel seed, s&p, then tossed with egg noodles, grated Parmesan, and egg [this was seriously ggod]

beef and barley stew, biscuits. or maybe cornbread. naw, biscuits.

mango ice cream

hot chocolate

tomorrow: Welsh rabbit for lunch. or maybe dinner. French toast with fried apples for breakfast.

I had grand plans for making chili and letting it simmer all day long but well, that never happened so instead I had....

hot chocolate with Bailey's, marshmallows and whipped cream (why choose one when I could have both) mid afternoon

twice baked potatoes, one half with cheddar cheese, the other with black truffle oil and caviar

gin, raspberry soda and St. Germain