100% Chance of Snow Blowing

Ilaine

I'm experimenting with tempering chocolate and making a concoction of crushed graham crackers that have been toasted and marshmallows mixed with tempered chocolate. I'm thinking of calling it s'mores. :-)

The Liberty Tavern currently offers a dessert that is very similar. Chocolate custard mixed with graham crackers, topped with bruleed marshmallow. It's so good.

Ooohh, the Costco at Pentagon City was fun this morning. Snow plus Super Bowl weekend ;). I made it out alive.

We were supposed to be having guests Saturday night, so I bought the things I was planning to make, figuring we will have the food if they don't come. Bought some short ribs to use for braised beef, which was to be for Saturday night. I'm also planning to make Texas-style stacked enchiladas at some point over the weekend.

Edited by Pat

I also bought some chicken, because it was on my list. I made the list quite a while ago (much delayed trip), and now I don't remember why it was on the list ;). I expect this means I'll be making some chicken soup over the weekend too.

It's a (totally inexplicable) tradition for my in-laws to come to DC for Superbowl Sunday, so I've been planning on having them here -- that will include ribs, ribs, and more ribs, because I say so.

What I hadn't planned on is having them here Friday and Saturday also. So, I'll be shopping soon...eek.

I'm picking up the last few ingredients for 'Guisado de Puerco con Tomatillos' - a pressure cooker recipe that I made a few weeks back and really liked. I may also do some other pressure cooking - maybe chickpeas to use for hummus, or another risotto experiment. Pancakes and Smith Meadow Farm breakfast sausage one morning, and maybe some banana bread or muffins with all of the over-ripe bananas in the freezer. I was thinking about grilled cheese, but Trader Joe's (Old Town) was out of any suitable bread last night - the milk, bread, toilet paper hordes got an early start ;) .

I am already terrified of what the trip to the grocery store will be like this evening....

My coworker just went to Trader Joe's in the West End at 11:30 ... she said the line was wrapped completely around the perimeter of the store. (Granted, it's a small store, but that's a lot of people shopping at midday on a Thursday.)

I was supposed to be hosting "Thanksgiving: The Sequel" on Saturday night. And it's too late in the game to pull the plug on the turkey defrosting action.

Instead, I plan to continue with roasting the Jehovah-Jireh bird this weekend, but conducting "Thanksgiving: The Delivery" on Sunday. I'll bring just-in-time vittles to everyone for their Super Bowl watching. And if the roads won't permit such travel, I'll just freeze the cooked poultry and figure out a backup to my backup plan.

(crazy holiday tradition i have)

(hosting thanksgiving this time each year)

(up until now, never had a snag!)

My coworker just went to Trader Joe's in the West End at 11:30 ... she said the line was wrapped completely around the perimeter of the store. (Granted, it's a small store, but that's a lot of people shopping at midday on a Thursday.)

Seriously?! ;)

I'm sure all the local grocery stores will be mad houses by the time I get out of the office this evening. Ah well, its what I get for being lazy last night.

It's a (totally inexplicable) tradition for my in-laws to come to DC for Superbowl Sunday, so I've been planning on having them here -- that will include ribs, ribs, and more ribs, because I say so.

You might want to take advantage of Whole Foods' one-day sale (tomorrow, Feb. 5) - Pork Baby Back Ribs will be $4.99/lb (reg. price $8.99/lb).

I've always liked this recipe from Kim O'Donnell's blog/chat (she modified it from a Gourmet recipe). hmmmm....may need to pick up some of those ribs myself for Sunday!

Orange-soy ribs.pdf

You might want to take advantage of Whole Foods one-day sale (tomorrow, Feb. 5) - Pork Baby Back Ribs will be $4.99/lb (reg. price $8.99/lb).

I've always liked this recipe from Kim O'Donnell's blog/chat (she modified it from a Gourmet recipe). hmmmm....may need to pick up some of those ribs myself for Sunday!

Provided I can get there tomorrow, that's a go! ;)

I usually make a dry rub and then do them low and slow in the oven since I have no grill or smoker (or place to put either). I'm intrigued by the orange-soy...now I have options! Thanks!

Dan--I just reviewed the recado recipe and you could add two or three tomatillos to the veg that get roasted--one roma tomato isn't really enough.

Too late! ;) I sort of made it as a pantry raid anyway: canned tomato, garlic, white onion, serrano peppers. Roasted, then blended with allspice, cumin, bay leaf, lime juice, agave syrup, cilantro, tequila, chipotles, Mexican oregano, and salt. It tastes really good, even not on steak. Almost like a funky salsa.

Seriously?! ;)

I'm sure all the local grocery stores will be mad houses by the time I get out of the office this evening. Ah well, its what I get for being lazy last night.

If you're planning to go to the Clarendon Whole Foods - DON'T! Just kidding, but if you do, I recommend either going on foot or going directly to the parking garage across the street, entrance under the Pottery Barn. There is a construction/pipe replacement project going on that has the normal entrance to the parking lot blocked off, so it's a zoo. Inside the store isn't much better, but if you know what you want, you can get in and out without too much trouble.

I hit the grocery store yesterday and no lines at all! That said I still need to pick up a case of beer and then we will order enough pizza to last the weekend.

I went to Giant at 7 this morning and Whole Foods at 8. Couldn't bear to think how busy they would be this afternoon and evening. Though failed to realize you can't buy beer before 9 in DC. Ugh. This weekend is going to be tons of cooking for us. Stout braised short ribs, making fresh pasta and a nice veal ragu of sorts, some chocolate souffles, and the wife wants to make a challah. Should be a lot of fun stuck inside, assuming our power doesn't go out.

If you're planning to go to the Clarendon Whole Foods - DON'T! Just kidding, but if you do, I recommend either going on foot or going directly to the parking garage across the street, entrance under the Pottery Barn. There is a construction/pipe replacement project going on that has the normal entrance to the parking lot blocked off, so it's a zoo. Inside the store isn't much better, but if you know what you want, you can get in and out without too much trouble.

I went at lunch and the parking in the main lot was difficult and the construction a pain. If you go after 5 when parking permit restrictions lift, you can usually find a spot back in the neighborhood across the street (behind the bike store) and walk over. Checking out was a breeze, as usual. No matter how crowded, it never takes me more than a minute or two to reach checkout at this store. It makes the higher prices somewhat worth it. There is nothing worse than getting hung up on a checkout line at Giant or Safeway (though some Giant's now offer the handheld scanner which expedites the whole process considerably).

;) Were farmers markets held this weekend, would you go?

Saturday?

Sunday?

If the farmers live in rural areas, as farmers are wont to do, they may not be able to get in. I know I won't be able to get out for a few days without Mr. lperry's four wheel drive truck. It seems like a lot of risk for what will likely be a small return.

Guess it is time to start thinking about good snow day cooking! What are you planning? I am defrosting some brisket, soaking some black beans and leafing through my Mexican cookbooks.

We've offered to have my daughter's friend snowed in with us, so it will be all comfort foods to accommodate an unadventurous eater. I have the makings for a roast chicken, spaghetti and meatballs, and build-your-own pizzas. We also have a ton of milk and a recent cupboard reorg unearthed multiple canisters of cocoa. I'm going to make yeast-raised waffles for breakfast. The girls can earn their keep by baking a dessert for us all. I'm going to turn them loose with one of Maida Heatter's books.

Trader Joes in Reston was crowded but not impossibly so at 10 am this morning.

My snowpocalypse preparations included a trip to Whole Foods. Among the goodies I bought and have already started eating: chili (really tasty, btw--a little spicy and quite filling), corn bread, black and green Cerignola olives, Asian eggplant (in the prepared food section), & fried chicken.

Despite the utter chaos and rushing around--lots of people crashing grocery carts and cranky kids--the line moved rather efficiently (I only had to wait 35 minutes compared to the wait times of 1-2 hours in the Van Ness Giant that friends and neighbors reported). I also saw lots of people taking pictures of and filming the lines. Snowpocalypse Now.

And lots of booze.

Definite priorities! Made my rounds to Total Wine (Mclean), Red, White and Bleu (Falls Church) and Ace Beverages (Joe Riley!) for my beer, cheeses and wines for the pending doom....

I am already terrified of what the trip to the grocery store will be like this evening....

HT in Lee-Harrison, Arlington was a madhouse! I have never seen the egg section so empty, the La Brea bread section bare, water section bare and paper towels. Weird thing is that toilet paper was still readily available. All the canned tomatoes and canned kidney beans were raided, so I guess I know what people are making this weekend. Am looking forward to a WF trip for last-minute things tomorrow...er today.

I discovered that the Watergate Safeway actually does open at 5AM! I sauntered in at 6:10 to an empty store, almost fully stocked. Frozen pizzas and beef seemed the only things in short supply.

No fair!

I live in DC but work in Alexandria - stopped at the store at 5:45am for just a few things.

Packed and pretty barren.

I walked into the Van Ness Giant just after 6am (after a failed attempt last night to visit the Arlington Harris Teeter and the Clarendon Whole Foods) and it was relatively empty. There was very little in the way of meat but on the whole I was able to get what I needed and get out of there with a minimum of hassle.

I will say, as I departed around 6:30 it was starting to get packed with lines at the checkouts running about 6-8 deep.

No fair!

I live in DC but work in Alexandria - stopped at the store at 5:45am for just a few things.

Packed and pretty barren.

I just breezed through the underground Safeway on Wilson Boulevard in Rosslyn for a few last minute items. The store was reasonably well stocked (in the aisles I visited; I did not undertake an exhaustive survey) and not crowded at all. I walked right to the register and paid my bill and left. I do not think this is a location where folks typically drive up their minivan and load up for a family of 5 as parking is tight, but you may want to consider it today.

My best guy friend, since 8th grade -- he was a groomsman in my wedding, even -- is here on some job interviews (anyone looking for an economist?) and his flights back to the Bay Area have already been canceled. Good thing I stocked the fridge for an army...

On the plus side, my office gave us dispensation to work from home today. Cooking time!

On the list:

Butternut squash soup with fried sage leaves

Chicken-liver paté

Stuffed mushrooms

Dry-rub for baby-back ribs

Chicken chili <--might experiment with new recipes. White chili, etc ... anyone got any good ones?

The Clarendon Whole Foods was packed at 8am this morning. No carts or baskets were available, lines stretched towards the back of the store, and luckily I walked there because the parking lot was a mess. Some looked close to panic while others just smiled at the controlled chaos and waited patiently in line. Actually the express line moved faster than anticipated. I'm sure the upcoming Superbowl is surely driving some of the food rush. I'm not sure what I'm cooking this weekend, but now I've got lots of ingredients as I flip through my cookbooks....

I am about to throw on some black beans to soak as I have a hankering for one of my comfort foods (black beans, spinach & rice) and am making my first attempt at baking bread in almost 20 years! I looked through loads of recipes and settled on the one I used to make almost every Friday back in my senior year of college: James Beard's Challah. I don't expect it to turn out but I'm giving it a shot.

I started my grocery shopping at the HT in Adams Morgan yesterday. The crowd grew as I walked through the aisles. When I discovered they were out of yeast (?) I abandoned my goods and ran down to WF on P St.

The Harris Teeter on the Hill was a madhouse after work yesterday. No parking available at all. I gave up and drove off. When I returned for a second attempt at around 7, the lines were all the way to the back of the store. I gave up again. You'd think there was a war on. All I want is ingredients for a ragu bolognese. I think I'll just hit Eastern Market and get everything there.

Too late! ;) I sort of made it as a pantry raid anyway: canned tomato, garlic, white onion, serrano peppers. Roasted, then blended with allspice, cumin, bay leaf, lime juice, agave syrup, cilantro, tequila, chipotles, Mexican oregano, and salt. It tastes really good, even not on steak. Almost like a funky salsa.

It is a cooked salsa, assuming that you cooked it after blending, which is important. The line between recado and salsa is sort of vague--recado being thicker.

It is a cooked salsa, assuming that you cooked it after blending, which is important. The line between recado and salsa is sort of vague--recado being thicker.

I did cook it after blending... it's very thick. But why is that important? So it adheres better to the meat?

I did cook it after blending... it's very thick. But why is that important? So it adheres better to the meat?

I am guessing it's a matter of reducing the sauce and deepening flavors.

BTW, Dan, have you read this? ;) (I'm assuming Zora simply is being subversive.)

Surprise, surprise, Silver Spring's farmers market is closed tomorrow. Means I'm heading out to supermarkets shortly with book to read in line.

I went to the Giant on Arliss in Takoma Park, & was in and out in 20 minutes with a few last-minute things. The Safeway at Georgia & Piney Branch was a little crazy, but most carts I saw had beer, sodas, snacks, deli, etc. I suspect the Superbowl is superceding the usual snOMG! panic buying.