100% Chance of Snow Blowing

Ilaine

sick.of.snow.

Could really use an easy bread making recipe, not Lahey's no knead bread because (a) I like to knead and (;) I don't have a heavy cast iron pan. Ideally the bread will be free form... Thanks in advance!

P.S. I have whole wheat flour, bread flour, white flour and yeast at my disposal...

Do you have sour cream? I've got a quick fake sourdough baguette recipe I got from a Pillsbury flour bag years ago that you might like. I'd also recommend a while bread from New Joy of Cooking that is not free form, but done in a loaf pan. It can be done completely in a few hours but uses quick rising yeast.

Let me know if you want me to post either.

Do you have sour cream? I've got a quick fake sourdough baguette recipe I got from a Pillsbury flour bag years ago that you might like. I'd also recommend a while bread from New Joy of Cooking that is not free form, but done in a loaf pan. It can be done completely in a few hours but uses quick rising yeast.

Let me know if you want me to post either.

Sigh, I have neither sour cream nor quick rising yeast. Thanks though... I've got Beard on Bread and used it for years when I made bread but don't recall such long first rises...

Sigh, I have neither sour cream nor quick rising yeast. Thanks though... I've got Beard on Bread and used it for years when I made bread but don't recall such long first rises...

His basic white bread takes a little longer than JOC but not that much. I find that the JOC version comes out better for me, but his is generally okay.

And I'm not taking our underground power lines for granted in this storm. We just had our power flicker off briefly. I hope that does not happen again.

ETA: If you have the ingredients, one of my favorite recipes from Beard on Bread is Jane Grigson's Walnut Bread. If you portion them a little smaller, they make great hamburger buns, should you have occasion to be making burgers.

This was my first bread-baking book, too. Favorites (from memory) include the second of two oatmeal breads which involves cooking the oatmeal first; the one w walnuts, milk and either olive or walnut oil; and the cracked-wheat bread that I made w fine-grade bulgur and honey.

Perspective. I hadn't been in a grocery store since last Friday when everything was well-stocked, so I have no basis for comparison. Yesterday afternoon I ventured into a Safeway that is about the only place to shop on this side of Union Station where there was no milk if lots of packages of Lunchables and sliced turkey breast. Left empty-handed.

This is the kind of neighborhood where, I suspect, the store will not run out of AP flour, but I don't know if anything will be open once it seems okay to venture outdoors.

I made another trip to my nearby Safeway yesterday around 4pm. The store and parking lot were not all that crowded. Cool. Lines were minimal. Shocked.

Milk? Nyet.

Eggs? Nyet.

I'm rationing my eggs on hand, but will have enough to bake biscotti. Cooking is soooooooooo last snow storm.

The Cobb salad was good. I made the French dressing as called for in the original Brown Derby recipe. It was pretty good. The only lettuce I have of those called for is romaine (which is usually the only kind I would use in Cobb salad anyway, despite the original recipe), and I used dark green scallion parts instead of chives to sprinkle over the top. I lined everything up all pretty but served the cheese on the side: blue cheese for me and feta for my blue cheese hating husband.

I'm making another round of Italian wedding soup today. Coincidentally, when I saw Barefoot Contessa yesterday*, it was the show where she was making that recipe. I have no chicken sausage but lots of cooked chicken, so I'm going to mince and season that to go in the meatballs with the defrosted ground turkey.

Snow cream is still looking good in the freezer. That will be great with brownies tonight. (I made a 9X13" pan--we're going to be eating brownies for a long time. There are many worse things than an endless pan of fudgy brownies.)

*During the Friday-Saturday storm, we lost a big chunk of our satellite channels. We only recently got Food Network back, only to lose all channels today. Not complaining. I'm leaving the flashing clocks blinking from our brief power outage to remind me how lucky we are to have power.

I keep flipping back and forth between wanting cold-weather-comfort food, and desperately craving something I'd find on a tropical island (sushi and mangoes, anyone?) Yikes.

And when I was downstairs at Harris Teeter earlier, they had just about anything else anyone might want. :-) Eggs, milk, flour, other staples ... Frozen pizza was pretty decimated, but the produce section is fully stocked, and looks darn good.

The snow right now appears actually to be blowing UP, past my windows. Awesome.

(Pat -- if you do lose power, you can trudge on over here. Not only is my guest room comfy, I still have leftover ribs and chicken-liver paté.)

Leleboo... please tell me HT isn't open during this storm! That's crazy. Though it's nice they have been restocked...

No snow cream for me but I did make these pretzels. Had too many... they might not have looked like pretzels but they sure tasted good. I used cinnamon sugar as the topping... took some to neighbors. Not sure how good they'd be cold.

Tonight (if I'm hungry) it's fried rice...

Hope everybody is doing as well as can be expected when snow is flying in all directions. It's really like a hurricane.

Leleboo... please tell me HT isn't open during this storm! That's crazy. Though it's nice they have been restocked...

The one here on the Hill is open! I know at least a small portion of the staff lives nearby, though.

then he probably prefers "...tomato soup, served ice cold!"

when I grow up, I'm going to Bovine University

And the ribs in my fridge: "It's still good! It's still good!"

Safeway at L & 5th open, too. There must have been deliveries last night, and with the forbidding weather this morning, quite a bit to buy in the store including eggs and milk which I didn't anticipate.

Interesting for me were the great quantities of fresh vegetables ;) , though I will say the lack of onions means there are plenty who are cooking real food around here and not just depleting supplies of frozen pizza.

Other signs of cooking: not a single bag of split peas or lentils. Sugar, but no AP flour.

ETA: Three big daikon radishes!!! :P

You are so lucky! No plows here, just one guy at the end of the street w/ a snowblower (he helped us unearth the driveway Mon.) My son went out this afternoon & reshoveled the driveway-my DH has been out of town, he's flying into Richmond this evening & getting a rental to drive up here-yes, I told him he was crazy....

We celebrated the Feast of Leftovers for lunch, and decided that it's now soup time. Warms you up when you come in from the cold, and if we lose power it'll be easy to reheat.

Now that the first soup (potato leek) is simmering, I have a strange urge to make some kind of minestra with farro. One online recipe for zuppa di farro - here redacted from Migliolli - calls for an 8 hour presoak of the farro, as do most of Migliolli's recipes. But for minestra di farro Lucchese, neither Bittman nor Batali mention soaking the grain before use.

Think I can get away with a short- or no-presoak and a slightly longer simmer? Or does farro really resist absorbing moisture that adamantly? (If it doesn't work, I'm just going to remake the soup with tubetti.)

We celebrated the Feast of Leftovers for lunch, and decided that it's now soup time. Warms you up when you come in from the cold, and if we lose power it'll be easy to reheat.

Now that the first soup (potato leek) is simmering, I have a strange urge to make some kind of minestra with farro. One online recipe for zuppa di farro - here redacted from Migliolli - calls for an 8 hour presoak of the farro, as do most of Migliolli's recipes. But for minestra di farro Lucchese, neither Bittman nor Batali mention soaking the grain before use.

Think I can get away with a short- or no-presoak and a slightly longer simmer? Or does farro really resist absorbing moisture that adamantly? (If it doesn't work, I'm just going to remake the soup with tubetti.)

I just looked through many of my Italian cookbooks and many say you can cook without the 8 hour pre-soak. One recipe for Farro Semplice that just rinses the grain then simmers for about 40 minutes. You should be OK without the long soak.

Real imported from Italy farro? No pre-soak. Organic farro purchased in supermarkets there cooked up in much less than an hour as a hulled grain.

Wheat berries often used as a sub here, though you might get spelt (which farro isn't) nowadays, too. Wheat berries, not hulled, generally require pre-soaking.

(North African cauliflower soup w sweet potato on the stove over here. ;) )

Maple Syrup Candy. I boiled up some maple syrup and poured it over packed snow. Ouila. Vermont in a bowl. Or perhaps Maple Syrup Leather is more accurate. Be sure to pack down the snow in a bowl before you pour the boiling hot syrup or it will just melt into crystals rather than form the candy.

Beard's sour cream bread is my Thanksgiving tradition - I get up at 5 to get it started and bring it wherever I go. Makes awesome turkey/cranberry sandwiches the next day.

Try it sometime. You'll make new friends, I promise.

(Pat -- if you do lose power, you can trudge on over here. Not only is my guest room comfy, I still have leftover ribs and chicken-liver paté.)

Thanks for the offer, but I fear hillvalley is right if that situation comes to pass. Talking to a friend earlier who lives about a dozen blocks away, I discovered that she had the same power blip last night that we did. I don't know how widespread it was or what caused it. it was a bit sobering.

I'm about to start on the new batch of Italian wedding soup, but I don't really feel like cooking...Everything else for the meal is leftovers, so chopping veggies and making meatballs is most of the work. And the meatballs cook in the oven so I have an excuse to turn the oven on ;).

;) We all sick of this topic?

Almost afraid to ask because of the Porcupine situation, but anyone else done a what-to-chuck-what-to-keep session?

After 5 days without refrigeration w help in storing some freezer contents in various locations, and a brief respite elsewhere, I ended up losing very little. I could have probably saved even more, but ended up discarding nearly a dozen eggs, a big container of beautiful lard from Cedarbrook, a cut butternut squash, chili paste w soy beans and garlic, homemade fig preserves, anchovies, and from the freezer, less than a pint of stock, chipotle in adobe and some tomato paste.

The diced, roasted beet still smells and looks good. We'll see. Just finished up the last of pasta sauce made from this summer's tomatoes. :P The jars of cornichons and capers seem okay.

Even though there weren't crowds, the smallish farmers market at Silver Spring turned out to be worthwhile for those who came to sell. The one farmer w eggs and chicken sold out of the former in the first 70 minutes, and the latter, well before the end. Around noon, someone from Borders came out to chat and said the Whole Foods (just up the street) was completely out of eggs and when I dropped by Safeway, I noticed quite a bit of empty shelf space, too. So, cabin fever and interrupted delivery service continue to affect our region.

If you see this in time, stay off the roads this morning - it's a continuation of last night. I had two appointments this morning, and canceled them both.

It's not worth it - risking multiple-hour commutes, getting your car dented up, and becoming stuck. Take my word for it and STAY HOME this morning. Life will be waiting for you next week.

• Like 1

If you see this in time, stay off the roads this morning - it's a continuation of last night. I had two appointments this morning, and canceled them both.

It's not worth it - risking multiple-hour commutes, getting your car dented up, and becoming stuck. Take my word for it and STAY HOME this morning. Life will be waiting for you next week.

School has a two hour delay so we will venture out by 9:15...  Montgomery County roads don't seem to be too bad... Fingers crossed!

If you haven't stocked up by now, you may be in for trouble.

While I'm down in Charlottesville, the roads have been fine here but the grocery stores have been insane. Security guards are out and many shelves are out of bread and eggs.

Lowes was supposed to get more salt and snow shovels in stock, but they were out last night.

Hope everyone weathers the storm well or that it is more moderate than is feared.

DDOT and VDOT should both be embarrassed by how poorly they handled the dusting we received last night. 

You got that right. I was lucky last night. If I had left Rockville an hour later than I did, I'd still be trying to get home. 25 miles from Rockville to Fairfax = 2 hours

"Dusting" may be the correct technical term, but if it is then I think they need to change it. At least in my mind it connotes dryness, NOT a possible ice storm. I had no concerns about driving in the evening if we were just going to get a "dusting." That didn't sound ominous. But there's too much emphasis on total inches when what we really needed to know beforehand was whether it would stay dry or turn into ice. And I would not have driven last night knowing I was in for ice.

Still, I was luckier than a lot of people. I moved along the Beltway in PG and Montgomery counties between 8:15 and 10:00 sometimes at 5 mph but sometimes at 30. Almost got run over by an 18-wheeler that was going too fast and changing lanes left and right.

"Dusting" may be the correct technical term, but if it is then I think they need to change it. At least in my mind it connotes dryness, NOT a possible ice storm. I had no concerns about driving in the evening if we were just going to get a "dusting." That didn't sound ominous. But there's too much emphasis on total inches when what we really needed to know beforehand was whether it would stay dry or turn into ice. And I would not have driven last night knowing I was in for ice.

Still, I was luckier than a lot of people. I moved along the Beltway in PG and Montgomery counties between 8:15 and 10:00 sometimes at 5 mph but sometimes at 30. Almost got run over by an 18-wheeler that was going too fast and changing lanes left and right.

6 miles in 2 hours.

It was like driving on an ice rink; 8 inches of snow would have been less of a problem. Road services dropped the ball on this.

• Like 1

It took me almost 3 to drive the 9 miles out of the city to my house in Arlington.  Route 50 was literally at a standstill.

What frustrated me was that when I hopped off 50 onto 10th St. N, there were two plows literally just sitting there idling.  They salted the hill eventually and moved to wait in the traffic to get on 50.  That was at about 9pm.

I normally give the benefit of the doubt to these types of things - but in my mind this was a pretty egregious mistake.  Were they waiting to use all the salt for tonight to prepare for tomorrow?  Seriously?

If you haven't stocked up by now, you may be in for trouble.

While I'm down in Charlottesville, the roads have been fine here but the grocery stores have been insane. Security guards are out and many shelves are out of bread and eggs.

How many egg salad sandwiches do people with absolutely empty pantries and refrigerators plan on eating during a 48-72 hour period?  This isn't rational, nor the siege of Leningrad.

• Like 2

How many egg salad sandwiches do people with absolutely empty pantries and refrigerators plan on eating during a 48-72 hour period?  This isn't rational, nor the siege of Leningrad.  

People sure seem to go to ridiculous lengths.

Hello from Kinston, NC, btw. Guess where I'm having dinner tomorrow night? :)

It's tough this time of year for cancer docs.. We have thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years, and then snow/ice days, plus as any time of the year machine delays. Not to get too technical, but each day missed is a quantifiable decrease in local control of cancer. When patients miss 3 - 5 days, that's when things get hairy and we have to ask people to come on weekends or twice a day. Many places disregard this, but we don't, because it matters a lot to us. We are open early tomorrow to get everyone treated before the snow strikes, but I worry about cancer patients every where else. Please make sure your loved ones are safe, but those that missed many days, please have them ask their oncologists how they plan on making their time up. The phrase "overall treatment time impairment" should get their doctors to perk up.

Best of luck to all this weekend ...

• Like 4

People sure seem to go to ridiculous lengths.

Hello from Kinston, NC, btw. Guess where I'm having dinner tomorrow night? :)

I have unhappy memories of traveling through Kinston on my way from Wilson to my dog's groomer in New Bern during my Babylonian Captivity. I hope you're not having dinner at Parker's barbecue in Wilson. I wouldn't wish that on my dearest foe.

I have unhappy memories of traveling through Kinston on my way from Wilson to my dog's groomer in New Bern during my Babylonian Captivity. I hope you're not having dinner at Parker's barbecue in Wilson. I wouldn't wish that on my dearest foe.

No, but I drove past it earlier.