Soup Recipes

brr

Does this ring a bell for anyone out there: (brown) lentil soup w fine bulgur and a touch of cayenne? Tomato. Swirl in spinach at end.

Turkish style, perhaps, in some vegetarian cookbook or possibly one by Wolfert. I am trying to find a recipe to consult. I thought I got the idea from Deborah Madison, but the soup isn't in *VC4 Everyone*.

Does this ring a bell for anyone out there: (brown) lentil soup w fine bulgur and a touch of cayenne? Tomato. Swirl in spinach at end.

Turkish style, perhaps, in some vegetarian cookbook or possibly one by Wolfert. I am trying to find a recipe to consult. I thought I got the idea from Deborah Madison, but the soup isn't in *VC4 Everyone*.

Not sure if this is exactly it, but there's a very similar recipe (sans bulgur) called Spinach and Lentil Soup in Claudia Roden's A Book of Middle Eastern Food.

Dan

The recipe is in Sundays at Moosewood Restaurant. If you don't have the book and/or can't locate the recipe online, let me know and I'll type it up for you.

ETA: Ah, Google Books. No typing needed .

Bingo! And just after I found a book review online w the recipe, you edit in another link!

Thank you, everyone, for responses! I do have baby chard leaves to use up, another reason this particular soup came to mind. I will definitely look into other versions later.

I am so proud. The other night was my first ham hock soup. My other always used to make stocks and etc, but as a lawyer, well I normally don't have the time. But we had a board meeting downstairs, so I had some stewing time.

I simmered the ham hock in water for about an hour then added cabbage, white beans, potatoes, garlic, onion, parsley, thyme, bay leaf and a little bit of old bay. Shredded the meat and back in. It turned out really well. And Hubby loved it, so I was happy. I adapted a recipe from epicurious, but REALLY adapted it (as I tend to do). So ham hock soup now under the belt.

Let me recommend this French lentil soup w kabocha, prepared for a vegetarian and convalescing spouse since there was just enough for me to lunch on the fifth serving.

Deviated from the recipe only slightly by making a vegetable broth first (w the stuff scooped out of the squash, leek greens, etc.) in which I cooked the lentils; I also substituted a local sunchoke for the fennel that I lacked. The rustic croutons (Struan loaf from Atwater) were a great addition. I also recommend sautéing some of the fresh ginger to make its presence more pronounced. Should be even better tomorrow. Heather, you might like this. Love the scent of the star anise.