Grand Mart

V.H.

The last couple of times I've been at Grand Mart I've seen a cut of meat labeled "hanging tender." I think the price is something like a ridiculously low $1.99/lb. Has anyone purchased it and prepared it? Do you think it's really hanger steak or some other cut that has been mislabeled?

The last couple of times I've been at Grand Mart I've seen a cut of meat labeled "hanging tender."  I think the price is something like a ridiculously low $1.99/lb.  Has anyone purchased it and prepared it?  Do you think it's really hanger steak or some other cut that has been mislabeled?

Haven't a clue, but I'm bravely willing to test it. Which Grand Mart are we talking about?

Haven't a clue, but I'm bravely willing to test it. Which Grand Mart are we talking about?

The one at the corner of Duke Street/Little River Turnpike and N. Beauregard in Alexandria. It's right off of the Little River Turnpike exit of 395 and across from TemptAsian. I saw it as a large cryovac'd piece and I can't remember if they also had smaller pieces that were tray wrapped.

The last couple of times I've been at Grand Mart I've seen a cut of meat labeled "hanging tender." I think the price is something like a ridiculously low $1.99/lb. Has anyone purchased it and prepared it? Do you think it's really hanger steak or some other cut that has been mislabeled?

Hi! I shop at the Grand Mart on Little River Turnpike every weekend (often before/after havung lunch at TemptAsian!), and I've purchased several of the "hanging tender" steaks. They are in fact ridiculously cheap ($1.99 sounds about right) and very tasty. Although I'm not a butcher by trade, nor have I ever ordered hanger steak in a restaurant, I am fairly sure that it is the real thing. It is a very coarse-grained cut, similar to flank steak (aren't they both from the same general part of the cow? the diaphragm or something?) and it has a big piece of tendon/grissle running down the center. And it's really bloody.

At that price, you might as well try some! Marinate it for a few hours in balsamic, olive oil, garlic, and S&P. Then grill it, slice it, and top with blue cheese crumbles, sauteed mushrooms, and cognac cream sauce. A fantastic meal for less than what you'd pay for a few gallons of gas!

BTW - Grand Mart also has Italian Plums (also mentioned in this thread)...

Has anyone ordered their [America Seafood's] fresh fish? Looking for an alternative to Whole Foods in Clarendon and Balducci's in McLean. Among my favs are bluefish and trout.

There were beautiful whole bluefish and sea trout at the Grand Mart in Landmark a few days ago.

The GrandMart in Sterling (Rt 7) has Vita Coco coconut water (no sugar and no preservatives other than ascorbic acid) in 11.2 oz paper boxes at $0.99 each now. They're in the Asian soda section. That store also expanded their seafood section over the past year and has a small wall of live fish tanks.

There were beautiful whole bluefish and sea trout at the Grand Mart in Landmark a few days ago.

I bought a whole bluefish at the Seven Corners store about a month ago for something like $2 a pound. I had them take the head off and butterfly it since they no longer offer filleting as an option. When I get home, I finished filleting, seasoned liberally with finely minced lemongrass, salt, and pepper, and pan fried. So delicious. I thought it was milder in flavor compared with the bluefish fillets I had purchased at Giant in the past. Still a great flavor but with less of the strong taste you get from the darker areas of the fish.

I always like to get a whole flouder (not the fluke, its too big and therefore tougher) from Grand mart, rub with some cooking wine, and steam until its just flaky. Douse a table spoon of soy sauce onto the fish. Heat a wok with 2 table spoon of vegetable oil and dump in a bunch of scallions and ginger, and pour the oil over the fish. Its almost like the restaurant steamed fish. I also got 4 king oyster mushroom for $1.99 yesterday. Good for soup or stir fry.