V.H.

MOM's Organic Market, Regional Organic Chain

The fresh mozzarella ovoline ("egg-sized") that I bought last week from the Frederick location are incredible, and inexpensive at $6.59/lb. Tender to the verge of being spreadable, Gubeen thinks they're as good as the best she's had from any high-dollar NYC cheesemonger.

I'm impressed so far by the produce quality and price - better leeks than I've seen at other local supermarkets, and for some reason their bananas have been holding up better with fewer bruises, even though they bear the same big-grower labels as everyone else's. Less knocking-about in the distribution chain? Who knows. There's also a rather good selection of honey products, although no kiawe (aka Hawaiian white) honey.

I was thrilled with my visit to the Frederick store a few weeks ago. Much easier to get around than the Rockville store and I don't know if the selection was bigger or if it was just laid out better but I plan to head back soon. Probably combined with lunch at Volt and a trip to Common Market.

I'm currently addicted to their crystallized ginger slices. The ingredients list only ginger and sugar, which leads me to believe that these are unsulfured. And at $3.59/lb (Rockville), it's cheaper than even the mostly-sugar-syrup ginger chew candies from the local Asian supermarkets.

Big changes in the works for MOM's Rockville. First, they're scheduled to relocate in April from the current hard-to-spot, hard-to-park Parklawn location, to a few block away in the former Staples space at Randolph Rd and Nebel St., which will be slightly larger, but both parking and access should be far better.

Second, the new location will debut The Naked Lunch, an all-organic lunch/dinner(?) concept.

Waldorf and Merrifield locations due later this year, with Waldorf slated to include several EV charging stations.

From the owner's blog on the MOM's website: "We are moving our Rockville store and central offices in April- to the intersection of Nebel St. and Randolph Rd., less than a mile from our existing store and offices. At this new location, we will have a breakfast/lunch/juice counter [The Naked Lunch]. It is going to be super healthy, super crunchy, and super good." He goes on to say that if the Naked Lunch concept fails, they can use it as an employee lunchroom.

Newsletter states "Save 15% at the old store starting Monday 4/30." New address is:

5566 Randolph Road

Rockville, MD 20852

(301) 816-4944

Grand opening is May 3-6.

Looking forward to the new space too. It's in the old Staples space--the same shopping center as Gold's Gym and Tysons Buffet so there will be plenty of parking. No more schlepping bags up the steps.

Thanks for the tip on the sale. I'll go check it out today.

throwing this out there... there is a groupon today for $20 worth of food for $10 at the new MOM's Rockville location only.

i'm excited about the new location! parking at the old one was more than challenging at times.

I checked out the sale yesterday. It was seriously 15% off everything except produce. The shelves were fairly well stocked but I'm sure it will clear out as the week goes on. When I walked in, an employee gave me a $10 off $20 coupon to use at the new store.

Went to the new, relocated MOM's in Rockville. It's a significant upgrade from the old location. The first difference you'll find is the ample parking. Inside the aisles are much wider . . . I'd even say spacious. Some, but not all, sections seemed larger in terms of having more products than the old store. Just eyeballing things, the produce section is maybe 30% larger, the cheese section is a little larger, the frozen food section is maybe 40% larger, and the nonfood section seemd to be bigger. Alcoholic beverages seemed to have expanded the most. The checkout area is also bigger, and just past it is a recycling center that now also has bins for athletic shoes and used light bulbs.

I was a little disappointed however with my first try of the new organic eats section, The Naked Lunch. We had a roasted veggie and a hummus sandwich for $16+. The sandwiches were kind of small and didn't have much of a filling, so the bread:filling ratio seemed skewed to the bread. The flavor was just OK. A side of pretzels came with the sandwiches, which didn't do much for us since we aren't crazy for pretzels. Here's hoping they can improve their food . . . they've certainly got access to good, high quality ingredients.

MOM's is now open in Merrifield, in the Mosaic District. Garage parking seems very accessible. I cruised through on Sunday, just to get the lay of the land. It's nice to have this so close to where I work and not that far from home, either.

If MOM's has a thread already, I couldn't find it. If it doesn't, shame on us.

Finally, a place that's better than Whole Foods, has more quantity and variety than Whole Foods, and is a better deal than Whole Foods....I wandered into MOM's today and about a hundred bucks worth of impulse buying later, I can report that this place is a welcome addition to whatever seems to be going on in the Mosaic build-out.

Spinach pie, zaatar pie and hummus - check! Add marinated olives and feta/spinach dip. The Middle Eastern in me is sated.

You want produce? How about shredded multicolor carrots and sweet pea shoots? And a cornucopia of mushrooms, greens, and you name it.

Snacks? How about carrot cake super cookies, candy-coated sunflower seeds, kale krunch and honey-wheat pretzel bunnies?

Salmon and tuna in a pouch....Udon noodle salad....and on and on. This place is going to be frequented often by the Kibbee Nayees....

• Like 3

I heard this on radio almost two weeks ago and kept forgetting to post it:  MOM's is now selling their own oysters.

The grocery chain has been leasing ocean bottom acreage off Fleets Island, Va., and plans to sample and sell oysters at the grand opening of its new Washington, D.C., store on New York Avenue NE store on Nov. 14, as well as at its stores in Rockville and Alexandria, Va.

• Like 1

Doesn't "MOM' in the store name stand for "My Organic Market"?  So is the actual name of this place "My Organic Market's Organic Market" or what?

feeling recursive today,

• Like 1

The name is "My Organic Market," and the acronym, MOM, refers to the history of the store.  The founder started it as a mail-order business in his Mom's garage.

That doesn't change my point.  If MOM is an acronym for "My Organic Market", then the name seen on the website and storefronts should be read as "My Organic Market's Organic Market".  If the owner wants to reference his mother, it should be "Mom's Organic Market".

...don't mind me, I'm just being silly.  Actually I quite like the place and shop there a lot.  But I giggle a little every time I see that.

I'm going to guess you are also annoyed by "ATM machine." :)

And "PIN number."  <_< .

Given that there are now locations in VA, MD, PA, and DC, shouldn't the tags and titling be updated?

(The crazy thing is I know just where that PA location is, as it's among my old stomping grounds from many years ago, but I don't think I've actually ever seen any of the ones in this area.)

ETA:  I added a subtitle and changed the tags.  If anyone has an objection, let me know.

I'm going to guess you are also annoyed by "ATM machine." :)

Yes.  But I don't usually say anything about it, because life is too short for pedantry.  Thanks to a particularly influential professor, though, I still cringe when people confuse accuracy with precision, and clear with colorless.

Shrimp Scampi vs Shrimp alla Scampi

Calvin Trillin has likened "shrimp scampi" to "beef pork". That would, of course, be beef pork served with au jus sauce.