Fairfax County Farmers Markets

Smita Nordwall

I noticed the Fairfax County farmers markets were not mentioned in the shopping guide. As a vendor at those markets, I was wondering is there a reason why? Do you not shop at the various markets in Reston, Annanndale, Kinstowne etc? I know the market organizers would love any input we have to offer.
They are now. :o Not an intentional omission, I've just not yet gone through the main farmers' market thread to split out discussions of specific markets. :lol:

You pose some excellent questions to our members who live in that direction. I know that at least the Burke farmers' market was discussed in the main thread, but I don't recall much discussion about the other Fairfax county markets. We currently have 573 members who live in Virgina, which markets do you all go to?

And everyone, please feel free to start dedicated threads about your favorite farmers' markets!

I shop every weekend at the Burke market during the season. I don't think crackpot attends that one or I would have tried some preserves by now. Unfortunately the names of the vendors don't readily spring to mind, but I love the market. I get eggs and meats from the same bison people I've seen at dupont and then whatever is in season from many farmers from VA and WV. I don't hit the bread guy but go to the Swisss Bakery on Old Keene Mill instead. I haven't spoken with them but being a new homeowner I'll probably take advantage of the master gardeners Fairfax County has there each week.

All in all I would highly recommend this market !

I regularly shop at the Sherwood Hall library market in the Mt. Vernon area. It has nice fruit, veggies and flowers; as well as some a few meat and baked goods vendors. But I would LOVE more variety. Cheeses and mushrooms would be a huge hit with me. I find our market welcoming and neighborly...but not exactly inspiring or bountiful.

I shop every weekend at the Burke market during the season. I don't think crackpot attends that one or I would have tried some preserves by now. Unfortunately the names of the vendors don't readily spring to mind, but I love the market. I get eggs and meats from the same bison people I've seen at dupont and then whatever is in season from many farmers from VA and WV. I don't hit the bread guy but go to the Swisss Bakery on Old Keene Mill instead. I haven't spoken with them but being a new homeowner I'll probably take advantage of the master gardeners Fairfax County has there each week.

All in all I would highly recommend this market !

You are right, I am not at the Burke market, yet. Last year, I was at Kingstowne and Mason District in Annandale. Hope to add Mt. Vernon and either Reston or Burke this year. For all of you looking for variety, I'd recommend both Kingstowne and Mason District. There are some great vendors at both. Come by and see us.

Once upon a time, I used to live in Falls Church, then in Arlington...I used to be a reular patron of the Fall Church market...grab a cuppa from the Village Preservation Society folks, and start hitting the stalls...'course, all the good stuff was picked over by 9:00, so it really paid to be there at 8 when it opened.

<sigh> I miss those early Saturday mornings. Now I get up early to a little blonde head two inches from my face aksing, "Dada? Milk? Dada!" (followed by a roundhouse if I'm not awake fast enough). Taking the little blighter to a farmers' market is just askin' for trouble.

Rob