Cookbook Challenge

Heather

My grand intentions have started with a puff, rather than a bang. I did cook some black beans last night in the crockpot, a new technique for me. Dinner tonight was leftover steak, sauteed in butter & pepper (for my son & husband), boiled little yellow potatoes, & sauteed napa cabbage w/ country ham & sauerkraut-oh, & I made some fried rice midday, using leftover pork tenderloin& I used a Krusteaz (this sounds bad)mix to make blueberry muffins, the crumbcake mix is awesome, have my doubts about the blueberry muffins, maybe 'cause they're fatfree. Tomorrow, I'll go grocery shopping & see if I can get some ideas...
Could you share your black bean crock pot 'technique'? I really would love to make use of mine - but I can never seem to get things to come out the way I'd like them to, or the cooking time is too long by the time I get home from work. Any other crock pot successes (or specific crock pot cookbook recommendations) would be appreciated!

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I copied it directly from this blog-what lollya eats-used onion, garlic, & chipotle, & my son said it was still seriously underseasoned-nothing a few shakes of hot sauce couldn't clear up, I think I cooked it for about 5 hours, but could have gone longer if I had added more liquid. I love beans, just beans & rice & hot sauce, w/ a salad, is a real meal, to me (& I could skip the salad).

Would anyone be interested in having an informal cookbook exchange at the next picnic? I rarely get rid of cookbooks, but when I do, I donate them to the library, but sometimes I feel noone will love them as much as I do (that's sad, I know). I have tons of books, that for one reason or another, just don't get that much use, & if someone else could use them, I'd feel better about giving them away..

Great idea!

Im'm in. Cookbook exchange and cooking magazine giveawy. simple rules give one take one.

Would anyone be interested in having an informal cookbook exchange at the next picnic? I rarely get rid of cookbooks, but when I do, I donate them to the library, but sometimes I feel noone will love them as much as I do (that's sad, I know). I have tons of books, that for one reason or another, just don't get that much use, & if someone else could use them, I'd feel better about giving them away..

I was wondering the same thing when I got the cookbook, but amazingly, one of the sources listed in the back of the book for Peruvian products was located on Eldon St. in Herndon, not far from my office, called Mercadito Hisapano (or something similar). The amarillos were frozen, but when thawed, worked fine for this and the majic yellow sauce.

The recipe also calls for Aji Limo, which you can substitute habaneros for. The amaraillos have a pretty unique spicy/sweet taste and I couldn't think of a chile that would be a good sub there.

I don't know if you're still preparing Peruvian dishes, but I just found Amarillo peppers (jarred whole and in paste form) at the Shoppers Food at Potomac Yards. They had a selection of several brands and types of Peruvian peppers, including Panca and, I think, Rocoto.