2007 Spring Picnic - June 3rd - Noon - Ft. Hunt Park

crackers

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm actually going to try to make this, all by my lonesome. I have no idea what I'm bringing, because there is a court order prohibiting me from the preparation of food that others might try to consume.

And given all the discussion of bacon tasting, I'd like to point out that mktye's bacon buns are an entirely reasonable and legitimate bacon delivery vehicle. I'm just sayin'.

there is a court order prohibiting me from the preparation of food that others might try to consume.

This would be the perfect opportunity to repeat the Do's and Don'ts from previous picnics for the benefit of anyone thinking of coming to our fifth picnic who may not be sure what it is all about: [MrPorcupine - see #1] Cucas87 put together an additional FAQ for the last picnic which is worth taking a look at as well.

DO come to the picnic even if you don't cook. Goodies picked up from your favorite bakery/cheese shop/restaurant/wine shop are perfectly fine. An appetite for delicious food and drink is all that is required.

DON'T think you have to make something fancy if you are cooking. Keep in mind that your dish may need to sit out at room temperature for at least an hour or two and that it will be eaten in a picnic setting.

DO consider other non-food options if you don't want to cook anything. One member brought a soccer set to the last picnic and it was a big hit with the kids. Beverages (adult and otherwise) are also greatly appreciated.

DON'T make tons and tons of food. Ten to twelve servings is plenty. Really. There will be a lot of fabulous food to taste and most everyone will only want a bite or two of any one item.

DO try to remember to bring appropriate prep and serving utensils for whatever food you bring.

DON'T feel you need to present your food in your best crystal, silver and/or china. In fact, if you don't plan on staying all afternoon, disposable serving containers are preferable.

DO put your name on any items you are concerned might get lost or left behind (a piece of masking tape with your name written on it with waterproof ink works great for this).

DON'T worry about having to cook dinner that night or possibly even the next day – Think about bringing baggies/plastic wrap for those who want to take home leftovers.

DO show up on time if you want to partake in some of the more popular food/drink items -- such as the Martian Pigslop from Hell.

DON'T even think about not showing up just because you are running late. Come anyway. I suspect we'll be there until they kick us out of the park.

DO bring your families. Children of all ages are very welcome.

DON'T bring your pets. We have hearty appetites and hot grills and we'd hate to make a drunken mistake.

DO come even if your dog ate your lovingly prepared dish in a fit of vengeance because it could not attend the picnic and you have to make a last minute change to what you said you'd be bringing.

DON'T eat a large breakfast beforehand. Once again, there will be a lot of food.

DO refrain from posting any photographs or videos from the picnic on the internet that include a person's face, unless that person has given you permission to post it. This is a private event and we value and respect everybody's privacy.

DON'T worry, be happy!

Please count me in.

I'm not sure what I will bring.

1) Water or something without artificial sweetners, low in calories such as iced tea or fruit-flavored sparkling water.

2) Probably something with vegetables, tartish or...

Classification: A side that could function as a main. Not vegan (most likely), possibly vegetarian, though it might contain a couple of anchovies if not lard.

One thing I loved on picnics as a kid was tomato-soup cake with a buttercream frosting.

It's hard to believe, but we're only 2 weeks away from the picnic -- time to crack open the cookbooks (or do some recon at your favorite take-out joint) and let us know what you're bringing! As you can see, we're a bit light in the beverage (wine and non-alcholic drinks) vegetable dish (side and main dish) and bacon(!) categories, so if you're still deciding what to bring please consider those items, but of course we'll take anything you want to make/bring as long as it's delicious!

Here's the list so far; please take a look at the list below and add your information. If I've missed something or made a mistake, just let me know.

1. Beverages

Wine

Barbara?

Beer

Barbara(?)

Crackers

Heather

Ol_Ironstomach

Tweaked

Home Brew

ferment everything

Non-Alcoholic

Anna Blume: fruit drink/water

cucas87: water

rvanrens: water

Other: Jacques Gastreaux: Martian Pig Slop from Hell

2. Appetizers and Salads

cucas87: mojito salad (vegan but alcoholic)

ferment everything: homemade gouda

Grover: Inari sushi

Heather: potato salad (?)

mhberk: Famous blackened chicken salad

Pat: wheatberry or farro salad

Scott Johnston: deviled eggs

StephenB: deviled eggs

3. Meat and Main Courses (non-vegan/non-vegetarian)

AGM: lamb

bbq4me: ribs

Crackers: bucket of wings

Heather: bacon and onion quiche

Jacques Gastreaux: smoked pork butt

rvanrens: some kind of meat

Thistle: NC style Boston butt

Tweaked: blood sausage

txaggie/cjsaddler: mini ham and cheese biscuit sandwiches

4. Vegetable Dishes

Anna Blume: vegetable dish TBD

jm chen: vegetable side dish TBD

Scott Johnston: vegetable dish TBD

5. Baked Goods and Desserts

Barbara: Michel Richard's dome cake

cucas87: some kind of light dessert

jm chen: coconut turnovers

mktye: assorted baked goods

Pat: cheesecake

RaisaB: TBD (or hohos and little debbies)

Thistle: poundcake

Tweaked: madelines

txaggie/cjsaddler: cookies

6. bacon for the bacon-tasting

JPW

Pat: turkey bacon

My list shows the following people plan to attend the picnic but haven't yet signed up for a particular item. Please let us know what you'd like to bring -- or if I've you've already signed up to bring something, just let me know:

Ilaine

Clayrae

Mr. Porcupine

hm212

legant

Meaghan

melgold

RissaP

Starfish

Zoramargolis

Synaesthesia

Walrus/Tripewriter

Two weeks and counting. See you soon.

I'll bring TONS of soda of many varieties, and the usual rugrats and soccer goals. But I might have to skip out after an hour or two, so someone else will have to provide coolers and ice.

If someone wants something other than the standard coke, pepsi, diet, etc., send a PM and I'll add it to the list.

Two weeks, gang! We could use some more bacon contributions, or we're going to blow through the current supply in about 15 minutes. Please post if you're planning to bring some along, and don't feel compelled to seek out only the esoteric stuff...how about some volunteers for WF's thick cut, and stuff from the local farmers' and Amish markets? Hormel Black Label?

The griddle surface has arrived. 18x24" of heavy seasoned steel. Oh yeahhhhh.

Two weeks, gang! We could use some more bacon contributions, or we're going to blow through the current supply in about 15 minutes. Please post if you're planning to bring some along, and don't feel compelled to seek out only the esoteric stuff...how about some volunteers for WF's thick cut, and stuff from the local farmers' and Amish markets? Hormel Black Label?

I can bring some WF bacon, to go with the turkey bacon.

It seems somebody has figured out what NQD and I are planning to bring, and I've been asked to share a little more detail on our little project. The "lamb" I said we'd bring is more properly described as "a lamb." The caja china will be making a reappearance, and we'll be roasting a 45-50 pound lamb. We're adapting a recipe that is allegedly Moroccan, and probably delicious, but we make no guarantees. This is all highly experimental. Although roasting a lamb is supposedly simple in a caja china, I've done a fair bit of searching online and have not found any reports of people actually doing it. So y'all will be a bunch of guinea pigs for this one.

I heard those do real well in the caja china...

There's a Peruvian web site that sells a knock-off version of the caja china. They have instructions for roasting guinea pig, along with a picture of the little guys after roasting. They look tasty, but unless they can be purchased already dressed, it's not going to happen.

Dear Don,

agm and Not Quick Draw are making a whole roast lamb and you haven't signed up yet?!? Wazzamattawidchou?

Sincerely,

Crackers

If you have never wandered into one of our picnics, please do consider making this your first one. We have formed an official Newbie Welcoming Committee, trained everybody appropriately, and are preparing to make this a memorable experience for all of you. The committee currently consists of the following 80.5 people:

agm +1 (or +2?)

Anna Blume

Barbara

bbq4me +1

bookluvingbabe +1 (tentative)

brettashley

cjsadler

clayrae

crackers +4

Crackpot Gourmet

cucas87

DameEdna

DanielK +2

Demvtr +2

Drone

Escoffier

ferment everything +2

Grover

Gubeen

Heather (+3?) (tentative)

hm212

Ilaine (+3?)

Jacques Gastreaux +1

Joe H (+1?)

jm chen +1

JPW +2

laniloa

legant

mdt

melgold +1

mhberk +1

mktye+1

ol_ironstomach

Pat +1

Raisa +5

RissaP

Rkduggins

Rvanrens +1.5 (+?)

Scott Johntson

SquidsDC

Starfish

StephenB

synaesthesia

thistle +3

Tripewriter

tweaked

txaggie

Walrus

Zoramargolis

I'm glad there's a newbie welcoming committee. I'd like to attend the picnic, but, as an allergic freak, I'm scared I won't be able to eat anything, and I don't want to annoy everyone day of the picnic hounding them about ingredients. So, if anyone is making anything that does NOT contain the following, will you let me know? I'd really appreciate a heads up:

Sesame, soy (including soybean oil- read mayo, dressings, etc), carrots (veg. broth/mirepoix is tricky here), stringbeans, chickpeas, nuts

Also anyone else live in the District and know of a good way to get down to Ft. Hunt?

ETA: Perhaps i should be more direct, and proactive and ask if anyone has room in their car? Much appreciated!

So, if anyone is making anything that does NOT contain the following, will you let me know? I'd really appreciate a heads up: Sesame, soy (including soybean oil- read mayo, dressings, etc), carrots (veg. broth/mirepoix is tricky here), stringbeans, chickpeas, nuts

My mojito salad does not contain any of those ingredients.

You should also try Old Chub from the same brewery (Oskar Blues out of CO); it's an 8.0% Scottish strong ale. You'll never see canned beer the same way again and will be in for an interesting evening if you decide to chug a few!

I dunno about seeing, but my sudoku skills sure went to hell in a handbasket after drinking Old Chub last night! Will be bringing some to the picnic.

And perhaps a couple of antiquities. I stashed a few bottles of Sam Adams Triple Bock back around a dozen years ago, not actually thinking that I'd be patient enough to let them age. Then I accidentally filed them in an oubliette. Time to find out what's inside. Maybe a '95 Thomas Hardy Ale or two, also.

So, if anyone is making anything that does NOT contain the following, will you let me know? I'd really appreciate a heads up:

Sesame, soy (including soybean oil- read mayo, dressings, etc), carrots (veg. broth/mirepoix is tricky here), stringbeans, chickpeas, nuts

My frittata is free & clear

I'm assuming 1) raw bacon is fine

Good question...are people bringing Coleman stoves or some sort of portable griddles for cooking the bacon?

PS I might end up indirect-smoking my bacon since I've gotten zero replies on the cold-smoker.

Good question...are people bringing Coleman stoves or some sort of portable griddles for cooking the bacon?

PS I might end up indirect-smoking my bacon since I've gotten zero replies on the cold-smoker.

I had figured the organizing person was bringing a cooking device or devices, but I hadn't actually thought to ask. My husband has a Coleman camp stove he could bring and set up* (very small), but I'm not really so good at grilling. I was figuring someone else was going to be doing that, but I guess I shouldn't have ass-umed ;) .

*He'll only be there at the beginning and the end.

Two weeks, gang! We could use some more bacon contributions, or we're going to blow through the current supply in about 15 minutes. P

I believe ol_ironstomach is taking care of the bacon grilling logistics. If he needs help I'm sure he will be asking though!

Between bacon sizzling on the griddle, and lamb roasting in the caja china, folks down wind are going to be drooling so much the lower regions of the Potomac River may rise a foot or more.

I'm glad there's a newbie welcoming committee. I'd like to attend the picnic, but, as an allergic freak, I'm scared I won't be able to eat anything, and I don't want to annoy everyone day of the picnic hounding them about ingredients. So, if anyone is making anything that does NOT contain the following, will you let me know? I'd really appreciate a heads up:

As a former allergy-freak, I would be happy to comply. ;) I probably would have in any case.

Also anyone else live in the District and know of a good way to get down to Ft. Hunt?

ETA: Perhaps i should be more direct, and proactive and ask if anyone has room in their car? Much appreciated!

I'm committing as a definite now...and I can easily go through the city and pick you up. (I'm coming from Silver Spring--anyone else need a ride? PM me.)

Also, add me to the list of "allergy freaks"--many of the same items as BrettAshley, but add garlic to that list. ;) The good news is, I'll at least be able to eat the bacon, unless it's a home made cure with garlic of course. I haven't come up with what I'll bring yet, but it will be at least something that both of us can eat!

With a little over a week until the picnic, it's time to start doing some serious planning. If you have come to a decision or tentative decision about what you are bringing, let cucas87 know by post or PM. She will compile a list shortly so you can gauge where there might be a gap.

Donations: Jacques Gastreaux was kind enough to front the $145 fee for the picnic site rental. Once again we are asking for voluntary donations to spread the cost among all of us who will be enjoying ourselves. The donation jar will be at the sign-in table. $2 per mouth should cover it. And please also consider bringing contributions to the canned food collection for the Capital Area Food Bank, being spearheaded by synaesthesia. ;)

Timing: Some people who can't stay the whole time have asked when prime "eating time" is going to be. The food will go out on the tables starting before noon, and reinforcements will arrive all afternoon. Generally, the early birds get more worms, particularly the worms at the bottom of the evil Martian Pigslop from Hell.

We have yet to come close to running out of food. Unfortunately, once again it doesn't look like there will be any jello molds or even anything containing Miracle Whip (and we have the nerve to call this a picnic :P ). I hope people aren't so disappointed by this that they decide not to come.

Equipment: There are no grills at the picnic site. If you have something to grill, bring whatever you need to do that. There is also no running water, except in the nearby bathrooms. I'd suggest bringing a water bottle or two for yourself. Coolers and ice have come in handy if you have those to spare. Folding chairs are always a good idea. There will be picnic tables set up under the pavillion, but if you want to eat under the trees, there are bark chip/pine needles around the site, and not all that much grass. Playpens and strollers are also a good idea if those work for you. Cameras are fine too - just no face shots on the internet without permission. Sunscreen, insect repellant and aspirin are always in style. I have hand disinfectant left from the last picnic that I will bring, and a basic first aid kit.

If you are planning to be there to help set-up, please shoot me a PM so I'll know how many strong backs we will have to move tables and stuff.

<bump>

CAPITAL AREA FOOD BANK CAN DRIVE

Summer seems to be a harder time for most charities since it's not the "giving season." So I'm going to do a collection of canned food at the picnic for the Capital Area Food Bank. Just bring your goods to the picnic and I'll take care of dropping them off at the collection centers.

There's a most-wanted list of items at http://www.capitalareafoodbank.org/support/donatefood.cfm

Also if you would be more interested in donating money, they have a matching grant where $1 will buy three meals. You can donate online at https://www.capitalareafoodbank.org/donation/donate.cfm We will not be taking collections for this at the picnic. The deadline for matching donations is June 10.

Thanks!

We have yet to come close to running out of food. Unfortunately, once again it doesn't look like there will be any jello molds or even anything containing Miracle Whip (and we have the nerve to call this a picnic ;) ). I hope people aren't so disappointed by this that they decide not to come.
However, we did once come close to running out of booze. Thanks be to starfish for the save!

Before we all enjoy the holiday weekend I thought I'd take care of a little business. Below is our current picnic list. It looks like we are going to have a great picnic, and it also looks like we still could use wine, maybe some bread and or crackers, bacon for the bacon tasting, and, um, some chocolate.

If you plan to come to the picnic, please post in this thread by noon next Friday, June 1st that you'll be coming and what you intend to bring. This will allow goldenticket to prepare a label for your food item(s) and it will make it easier for us to set up at the picnic.

Finally, I will be out of town for work next week so if you have last minute questions, feel free to post them here in this thread or PM Crackers or Scott Johnston.

1.Beverages

Wine

Barbara

JPW - Virginia wine

Melgold

Scott Johnston

Starfish

Walrus - red wine

Beer

Barbara

Crackers

Heather

Ol_Ironstomach

Pat

Tweaked

JPW

Home Brew

ferment everything

mdt - keg of mild

Non-Alcoholic

Anna Blume: fruit drink/water

cucas87: water

Danielk: soda

laniloa

rvanrens: water

Scott Johnston: Diet Coke

Other: Jacques Gastreaux: Martian Pig Slop from Hell

2. Appetizers, Salads and Condiments

BrettAshley01: watermelon or fruit salad

Crackpot Gourmet: Bloody Mary gazpacho

cucas87: mojito salad (vegan but alcoholic)

ferment everything: homemade gouda

Grover: Inari sushi

Heather: potato salad (?)

legant: Miracle Whip (for bacon tasting)

mhberk: Famous blackened chicken salad

Pat: wheatberry or farro salad

rkduggins: sage potato salad (vegan)

rkduggins: corn and wild rice salad (contains chicken stock)

Scott Johnston: deviled eggs

SquidsDC: mayonnaise, maple syrup (for bacon tasting)

StephenB: deviled eggs

ZoraMargolis: mulberry, Queen Anne cherry, and crabapple-mint preserves

3. Meat and Main Courses (non-vegan/non-vegetarian)

AGM: a lamb

bbq4me: ribs

Crackers: bucket of wings

Heather: bacon and onion quiche

Ilaine: grandmother's fried chicken or smoked piglet

Jacques Gastreaux: smoked pork butt

rvanrens: some kind of meat

Thistle: NC style Boston butt

Tweaked: blood sausage

txaggie/cjsaddler: mini ham and cheese biscuit sandwiches

4. Vegetable Dishes

Anna Blume: escarole pie with pine nuts

demvtr: vegetable dish TBD

holdtheline: vegetable dish TBD – maybe mushroom duxelles sandwiches

jm chen: vegetable side dish TBD

melgold: pasta frittata with veggies and cheese

Scott Johnston: vegetable dish TBD

ZoraMargolis: fresh fava bean mousse

5. Baked Goods and Desserts

Barbara: Michel Richard's dome cake

BrettAshley01: crackers or pita chips

Crackpot Gourmet: crepes (?)

cucas87: some kind of light dessert

jm chen: coconut turnovers

mktye: assorted baked goods

Pat: cheesecake, berries or fruit, bread (?) brownies (?)

RaisaB: TBD (or hohos and little debbies)

Thistle: poundcake

Tweaked: madelines

txaggie/cjsaddler: cookies

6. bacon-tasting

clayrae

Crackpot Gourmet: buckboard bacon

ferment everything

JPW

legant: scrapple, tomatoes, lettuce, wheat toast

Ol_Ironstomach

Pat: WF and also turkey bacon

sshorter: bacon?

Walrus

If you think you've signed up for the picnic but don't see your name above, please let us know what you'll be bringing by posting in this thread. See you all at the picnic!

looks like we still could use wine, maybe some bread and or crackers, bacon for the bacon tasting, and, um, some chocolate.

Wine and Beer: Please bring a bottle of wine if you expect to be drinking wine, and same for beer. We can't expect a handful of people to supply enough wine for 75 thirsty people for an entire afternoon. Just not gonna happen..not even with starfish coming. [note to self: remember to invite Joe Riley! ;) ] By now you've brought all the plonk to past picnics that you had mouldering in the back of your cabinets, right? and Jake and JPW sure did have fun pouring it out onto the grass, didn't they?!..so no mas!

Bacon: In addition to hoping we get more bacon for sampling, maybe someone(s) can also bring BLT fixins?

If you plan to come to the picnic, please post in this thread by noon next Friday, June 1st that you'll be coming and what you intend to bring. This will allow goldenticket to prepare a label for your food item(s) and it will make it easier for us to set up at the picnic.
If for some reason you can't decide until the last minute if you can come, or what you will bring, or you change your mind, or what you wanted to make was a huge disaster and you need to sulk into Whole Foods for a peach tarte, no worries, we will have blank labels waiting for you!

oh yeah - more cheese! and something fruitish! :P

By my estimation, 901 people have registered as new members in the last year. 901! And only three of you have signed up to join us at the picnic ;) (Rkduggins, synaesthesia and Nutty Buddy being the three intrepid ones.) Not to belabor the point, but if you're lurking out there, on the fence, hesitant, just a tad shy... please join us! We have a welcoming committee of 75 friendly members waiting to stuff you silly with food and drink. :P

By my estimation, 901 people have registered as new members in the last year. 901! And only three of you have signed up to join us at the picnic ;) (Rkduggins, synaesthesia and Nutty Buddy being the three intrepid ones.) Not to belabor the point, but if you're lurking out there, on the fence, hesitant, just a tad shy... please join us! We have a welcoming committee of 75 friendly members waiting to stuff you silly with food and drink. :P

So, new members: What do I have to do to entice you to come? :)

Ok, thank you to squisdc who so graciously offered transportation, and those who identified their offerings as allergen-free (though from the list it seems like i'll be more boozed up than anything, but oh well). I'm in, and put me down for some sort of cracker. May be exceptionally healthy- a la my flaxbread foccacia, which i loooove- or the new southwest flatbreads at TJ's ;) <-- the closest emoticon to embarrassment! But I love that stuff and it's allergen free so..

Or maybe home-made pita chips? And guac.... hmmm...

Anyone roasting a bird?