2007 Spring Picnic - June 3rd - Noon - Ft. Hunt Park

crackers

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

oh yeah - more cheese! and something fruitish! ;)
I was figuring on bringing some berries/fruit if people wanted it with cheesecake, so I'll bring more than I was planning.

Depending on how my timing works, I might bring some kind of bread product to put bacon on. And I'll bring some beer too.

I'm still coming, and still don't know what I'm bringing...

I WILL bring some bacon and I'll work on something to satisfy the chocolate/cheese/fruit/roasted bird requests (not all in one dish!)

(Although I could do mole chicken, that could cover the bird and chocolate...hrm...)

I believe ol_ironstomach is taking care of the bacon grilling logistics.

Yep, the griddle is taken care of (with additional assistance provided by JPW Family Logistics). I gave it a test drive today on the camp stove, and it passed with flying colors. After which I sat down to a plate of bacon 'n sliders for lunch ;)

Shoulda snarfed one of these years ago, actually. I'm digging the grease gutter and can holder.

I'm bringing a trio of homemade wild fruit preserves: mulberry, Queen Anne cherry (picked this morning), and crabapple-mint to go with the lamb. All made from wild berries and fruit foraged in Battery Kemble Park.

Fresh fava bean mousse (assuming I can find fresh favas again late next week).

I'll bring BLT fixins (lettuce, tomatoes and whole wheat toast). WARNING: I will be bringing Miracle Whip.

Bacon: In addition to hoping we get more bacon for sampling, maybe someone(s) can also bring BLT fixins?

I'll bring BLT fixins (lettuce, tomatoes and whole wheat toast). WARNING: I will be bringing Miracle Whip.

I'm a mayo girl with BLT's, so I'll bring the mayo (Hellman's Canola) I'm also a maple syrup/bacon lover, but I'm not sure there are too many others who eat that combo...what else do we still need? I'll be able to review and put my thinking cap on tomorrow, since my weekend has been full with family birthday celebrations. I'm excited to finally get to go to Four Sisters later today!

My TBD vegetable dish is an escarole pie, the principal ingredient local food grown by a vegan. Dish not even vegetarian, though the amount and size of animals to be incorporated are both small.

Brett: Sorry, it contains pine nuts, but I've been able to feed them to the son of a friend with multiple allergies since they're not in the same category as (most ;) ?) tree nuts. Please ascertain whether or not you're able to eat them. I can always bring a little of the filling in a separate container for you to stuff into pita bread.

Fried chicken. Or, rather, several fried chickens. Home fried, of course.

I will probably attempt to duplicate my grand mother's recipe, removing the skin off every piece but the legs, soaking in buttermilk overnight, then dipping in a mixture of evaporated milk and egg, dredging in seasoned flour, and letting the pieces rest in the refrigerator until the flour has dried, then frying in peanut oil the night before, and chilling in the refrigerator overnight.

This is ideal for a picnic because you can fry several chickens in advance and they are easy to transport.

We are also exploring an alternative, bringing the Texas smoker and a little pig -- but not sure where to find a little pig in time. OTOH, would it be too hot for roast pig?

I will probably attempt to duplicate my grand mother's recipe, removing the skin off every piece but the legs, soaking in buttermilk overnight, then dipping in a mixture of evaporated milk and egg, dredging in seasoned flour, and letting the pieces rest in the refrigerator until the flour has dried, then frying in peanut oil the night before, and chilling in the refrigerator overnight.

Now I am exceptionally sorry that I won't be able to be there. Please consider posting the recipe... please?

This is ideal for a picnic because you can fry several chickens in advance and they are easy to transport.

We are also exploring an alternative, bringing the Texas smoker and a little pig -- but not sure where to find a little pig in time. OTOH, would it be too hot for roast pig?

You're killing me. Please, stop. I will be in Chicago on June 3, 2007. I bought my ticket (to attend my goddaughter's graduation) before the picnic date was announced. I am scheduled to return to dc at 7 pm on the 3rd. Are you really going to make me change my ticket or fly stand by? The graduation is on Friday and the big party is on Saturday (yes, I am rationalizing), so I won't be mssing anything. I was deeply committed to my plans until I read this post. Now, the gloves are off, and I will have to reconsider my approach. Damn website!

You're killing me. Please, stop. I will be in Chicago on June 3, 2007. I bought my ticket (to attend my goddaughter's graduation) before the picnic date was announced. I am scheduled to return to dc at 7 pm on the 3rd. Are you really going to make me change my ticket or fly stand by? The graduation is on Friday and the big party is on Saturday (yes, I am rationalizing), so I won't be mssing anything. I was deeply committed to my plans until I read this post. Now, the gloves are off, and I will have to reconsider my approach. Damn website!
Monique, it's just a picnic. The most exciting thing that happened at the last one was when you were injured and had to go to the hospital. ;) There will be others. Yes, I'll miss you; but, I know where you LIVE!!! Enjoy your family while you can. Sermon over. :P

Dammm Girl, and I bought a needle and thread that I wanted to try to use this year.

You will be missed!

Currently we have the following who have let us know they are coming:

agm +1 (or +2?)

Anna Blume

Barbara

bbq4me +1

Black Sheep +2

bookluvingbabe +1 (tentative)

brettashley01

cjsadler

clayrae

crackers +4

CrescentFresh

Crackpot Gourmet

cucas87

DameEdna

DanielK +1

Demvtr +2

Drone

Escoffier

ferment everything +2

Grover

Gubeen

ICD +3

Ilaine (+3?)

Jacques Gastreaux +1

Joe H (+1?)

JPW +1

ladi kai lemoni

laniloa

legant +4

LuvTeddyBears8 (+1?)

mdt

melgold +1

mhberk +1

mktye+1

mushman

Nutty Buddy

ol_ironstomach

Pat +1

Paula

Pete

Raisa +5

Rkduggins

Rvanrens +1.5 (+?)

Scott Johntson +2

sparky.com

SquidsDC

Starfish

StephenB

synaesthesia

thistle +3

Tripewriter

tweaked

txaggie

Walrus

Zoramargolis

I've been checking the weather forecast too, because if it's not super hot, I'm thinking of bringing some brownies too. They're fabulous layered frosted brownies (avec alcohol) but don't hold up too well in extreme heat. Trying to keep them on ice at the picnic might be a bit too tricky ;).

I am sorry but it looks like I am not going to make it to the picnic. I had two kid things come up that will tie up the morning and late afternoon.

I am trying to figure out how to get from MC to Ft Hunt in record time, so I could stop by for an hour or two in the early afternoon. It is not looking good though.

I've been checking the weather forecast too, because if it's not super hot, I'm thinking of bringing some brownies too. They're fabulous layered frosted brownies (avec alcohol) but don't hold up too well in extreme heat. Trying to keep them on ice at the picnic might be a bit too tricky :P.

I'm bringing my kids.

Brownies won't last long enough to melt. ;)

I'm bringing my kids.

Brownies won't last long enough to melt. ;)

These have some alcohol in the frosting, though I have no way of quantfying what the net effect is over a whole pan of brownies.

I am sorry but it looks like I am not going to make it to the picnic. I had two kid things come up that will tie up the morning and late afternoon.

I am trying to figure out how to get from MC to Ft Hunt in record time, so I could stop by for an hour or two in the early afternoon. It is not looking good though.

As you well know, I look forward to you bringing your girls to these things. They are so very lovely and I get a real kick at seeing them "age." Thus sayeth somebody without children of my own. Sigh.

By my estimation, 901 people have registered as new members in the last year. 901! And only three of you have signed up to join us at the picnic :) (Rkduggins, synaesthesia and Nutty Buddy being the three intrepid ones.)

I don't think that Nutty Buddy really counts. ;)

As you well know, I look forward to you bringing your girls to these things. They are so very lovely and I get a real kick at seeing them "age." Thus sayeth somebody without children of my own. Sigh.
Barbara, you're always welcome to borrow mine for a while. :P

I'll be bringing a couple of bottles from yesterday's Virginia wine tasting marathon. And some random beers.

Bump.

Below is our current picnic list.

drinks: Remember, if you plan to drink wine or beer, please bring a contribution of same or similar. Some people are bringing water, but feel free to also bring your own water bottle.

gaps: We're still light on chocolate cheeses and pies, but given how much bacon will be grilling, I suppose we'll survive. ;) Anything else anyone can think of???

labels: In order make things go more smoothly for us by having printed food labels ready to put on the dishes, please post in this thread by noon on Friday that you'll be coming and what you plan to bring. Otherwise, we'll have blank labels for you, or you can make up your own. If your dish has any non-obvious ingredients that might be an issue for medical or other reasons (e.g. nuts, alcohol, meat, eggs) please consider noting that to Goldenticket or adding it to your label.

supplies: Paper goods, cutlery, etc. are taken care of already. I'm hoping to have fewer leftover paper goods to bring home than I came with. For a change. Right now, for instance, we have about 1,000 napkins and 300 forks!

If you have last minute questions, feel free to post them in this thread or PM me or Scott Johnston.

1.Beverages

Wine

Barbara

JPW - Virginia wine

Melgold

Scott Johnston

Starfish

txaggie/cjsadler

Walrus - red wine

ZoraMargolis

Beer

Barbara

Crackers

Ol_Ironstomach

Pat

Tweaked

JPW

ICD: Belgian beer- Hoegarten or Leffe blonde.

Home Brew

ferment everything

mdt - keg of mild

Non-Alcoholic

Anna Blume: concentrated syrup

cucas87: water

Danielk: soda

laniloa

legant: water

rvanrens: water

Scott Johnston: Diet Coke

Other:

Jacques Gastreaux: [evil] Martian Pig Slop from Hell

sparkycom: potent potables

2. Appetizers, Salads and Condiments

BrettAshley01: watermelon or fruit salad

clayrae: chilled fruit soup

Crackpot Gourmet: Bloody Mary gazpacho

cucas87: mojito salad (vegan but alcoholic)

ferment everything: homemade gouda

Grover: Inari sushi

legant: Miracle Whip (for bacon tasting)

mhberk: Famous blackened chicken salad

mushman: Greet cucumber salad

Pat: farro salad with tomatoes and herbs

rkduggins: sage potato salad (vegan)

rkduggins: corn and wild rice salad (contains chicken stock)

Scott Johnston: deviled eggs

SquidsDC: spicy cole slaw, mayonnaise, maple syrup (for bacon tasting)

StephenB: deviled eggs

ZoraMargolis: mulberry, Queen Anne cherry, and crabapple-mint preserves

3. Meat and Main Courses (non-vegan/non-vegetarian)

AGM: a lamb

bbq4me: ribs

ICD: Cuban picadillo

Ilaine: grandmother's fried chicken or smoked piglet

Jacques Gastreaux: smoked pork butt

legant: ribs

rvanrens: some kind of meat

squidsDC: marinated chicken pieces

Thistle: NC style Boston butt

Tweaked: blood sausage

4. Vegetable Dishes

Anna Blume: escarole pie with pine nuts

demvtr: vegetable dish TBD

holdtheline: vegetable dish TBD – maybe mushroom duxelles sandwiches

jm chen: vegetable side dish TBD

melgold: pasta frittata with veggies and cheese

Scott Johnston: vegetable dish TBD

ZoraMargolis: fresh fava bean mousse

5. Baked Goods and Desserts

Barbara: Michel Richard's chocolate mousse dome cake

BrettAshley01: crackers or pita chips

cjsaddler / txaggie: mini hot pepper jelly and cream cheese biscuits.

Crackpot Gourmet: crepes (?)

cucas87: some kind of light dessert

ICD: buns for Cuban picadillo

jm chen: coconut turnovers

mktye: assorted baked goods

Pat: cheesecake, berries, loaf of white bread, creme de menthe brownies

Paula: cupcakes, cookies (?)

RaisaB: TBD (or hohos and little debbies)

sparkycom: gougeres

Thistle: poundcake

Tweaked: madelines

txaggie/cjsaddler: cookies

6. bacon-tasting

clayrae - Trader Joes assortment

crackers: Neopol Smokery organic fruitwood smoked bacon (nitrate free/low sodium)

Crackpot Gourmet: buckboard bacon

ferment everything

JPW

legant: scrapple, tomatoes, lettuce, wheat toast

Ol_Ironstomach

Pat: Whole Foods and also turkey bacon

Pete/Paula: Wegmans

Walrus

ICD+3

If this were radio,I'd be a long-time listener, but infrequent caller to donrockwell.com. To get past this newbieness, my wife and I as well as our two children will attend the picnic. We'll bring Cuban picadillo and the not so traditional hamburger buns to serve it with. Also some Belgian beer, either Hoegarten or Leffe blonde.

Ignacio