2007 Spring Picnic - June 3rd - Noon - Ft. Hunt Park

crackers

Heads up: since we've already been told to bring bottles of water for ourselves, I've decided to check out the back pages of some old July/August issues of Gourmet magazines and put together at least one concentrated syrup for drinks if I can find something that does not require 2 weeks of seeping.

I'll bring 2-3 extra bottles of water just in case, but people might consider making one of their waters fizzy (or iced tea) should my intentions bear fruit.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'll be bringing

Farro Salad with Tomatoes and Herbs (Brett can eat; vegan)

Loaf of sandwich white bread for the bacon (Brett can eat)

Cheesecake

Berries

Creme de Menthe Brownies (alcohol)

Some bacon (Turkey Bacon, WF bacon, and maybe another kind if I find something interesting)

Beer

I am organizing a 30 minute brisk walk around 11:30 am (pre picnic) for anyone who wants to join me.
Here is a map of the walk/run around the park: a 1.25 mile circuit. There are changing facilities a few feet across the parking lot if you want to change from running clothes to drinking clothes.

Ok. The rise in temperature has motivated me to make a decision.

I will make cold fruit soup (nectarine and cantaloupe probably) which, besides the fruit, will probably have some honey and yogurt in it.

Ill also bring some cups/bowls to eat it out of (and a ladle...)

I saw a few different kinds of bacon at Trader Joes last week, I'll pick up one of each.

I think I'm bringing some flavored simple syrups - ginger, mint, lemongrass, and basil as well as club soda to mix. Some rum, maybe vodka. We'll see how lazy I get. Oof... just realized Anna might be doing something similar. But maybe there won't be overlap.

Some rum, maybe vodka.
The park rules say no distilled spirits. So I trust everybody will be exceedingly ...um...respectful. The [evil] Martian Pigslop from Hell special ingredient comes in a thermos bottle. But don't go looking for it. I will have it hidden somewhere for my own personal consumption. Did I mention it is evil?

New members: please come.
reading this thread kinda makes me wanna ditch an engagement party we're going to in jersey city this weekend. but alas, i cannot - politburo is one of the men of honor and we cannot miss the wii bowling tourney ;) .

will there be recipes posted after the fact?

Heads up: since we've already been told to bring bottles of water for ourselves, I've decided to check out the back pages of some old July/August issues of Gourmet magazines and put together at least one concentrated syrup for drinks if I can find something that does not require 2 weeks of seeping.

Sekanjabin is surprisingly refreshing in hot weather. My only comment...don't use balsamic vinegar!

If somebody else would like to secure some from Neopol, please feel free :P
I got some this evening and will be bringing it. I told the owner that we were doing a bacon tasting at a picnic and she said "I hope you win!" I told her that at a bacon tasting, we're all winners. ;) This bacon is fruitwood smoked, organic, nitrate free and low sodium. Sounds way too healthy for me, but I'll try it with an open mind and a closed mouth.

It looks like Paula and I will be able to make it to the picnic. She will definitely be making cupcakes and possibly cookies as well. We also will be bringing some bacon from Wegman's for the bacon tasting.

ETA: I have a mini weber grill that I can bring if anybody needs it. All you need to supply is the charcoal.

DIRECTIONS:

From Downtown Washington, DC:

Take 14th Street Bridge south towards Virginia). Take Exit for Mt. Vernon/National Airport; continue past National Airport, through Old Town Alexandria; Fort Hunt Park is 5 miles south of Old Town Alexandria; exit to the right at the sign marked "FORT HUNT ROAD/FORT HUNT PARK".

Beltway from Maryland to Alexandria, Virginia:

Take very first exit after Wilson Bridge (Mt. Vernon Highway); this will put you on South Washington Street; continue for 5 miles; exit to the right at the sign marked "FORT HUNT ROAD/FORT HUNT PARK".

NOTE: George Washington Memorial Parkway, Mt. Vernon Highway, and Washington Street, are all the same road depending on where you are at the moment.

Beltway from Virginia to Alexandria, Virginia:

Take Exit 1 North; go to the first traffic light and take a right on Franklin Street; go about 3 blocks and take a right on South Washington Street; continue for 5 miles; exit to the right at the sign marked "FORT HUNT ROAD/FORT HUNT PARK".

map215.jpg[/b]

CAPITAL AREA FOOD BANK CAN DRIVE

Summer seems to be a harder time for most charities since it's not the "giving season." So I'm going to do a collection of canned food at the picnic for the Capital Area Food Bank. Just bring your goods to the picnic and I'll take care of dropping them off at the collection centers.

There's a most-wanted list of items at http://www.capitalareafoodbank.org/support/donatefood.cfm

Also if you would be more interested in donating money, they have a matching grant where $1 will buy three meals. You can donate online at https://www.capitalareafoodbank.org/donation/donate.cfm We will not be taking collections for this at the picnic. The deadline for matching donations is June 10.

Thanks!

Just a reminder of synaesthesia's canned food collection for the Capital Area Food Bank...bring a few items to the picnic (or donate online as mentioned above) for a good cause!

Items listed as needed on the food bank's website include:

Canned Proteins (tuna, salmon, chicken, peanut butter)

Canned Fruits (pineapples, peaches, and pears)

100% Fruit Juices (All sizes including juice boxes)

Pastas and Sauces (spaghetti sauce)

Canned Vegetables (mixed, green beans, corn)

Soups (beef stew, chili, chicken noodle, turkey rice)

Cereal (cheerios, cornflakes, grapenuts, raisin bran)

For a more extensive list, click here.

And a last reminder to post here or PM Scott Johnston by noon today what you are planning to bring so we can have a label for you on Sunday. Thanks!

Currently we're expecting between 90-100 people! The weather dodos forecasters are calling for comfortable temps in the low 80s, a moderate breeze, and 35% chance of a shower. I'll take it.

agm +1 (or +2?)

Anna Blume

Barbara

bbq4me +1

Black Sheep +2

bookluvingbabe +1 (tentative)

brettashley01

cjsadler

clayrae

crackers +3

CrescentFresh

Crackpot Gourmet

cucas87

DameEdna

DanielK +1

Demvtr +2

Drone

Escoffier

ferment everything +2

Grover

Gubeen

ICD +3

Ilaine (+3?)

Jacques Gastreaux +1

Joe H (+1?)

JPW +1

ladi kai lemoni

laniloa

legant +4

LuvTeddyBears8 (+1?)

mdt

melgold +1

mktye+1

mushman

Nutty Buddy

ol_ironstomach

Pat +1

Paula

Pete

pidgey +2

Raisa +5

Rkduggins

Rvanrens +1.5 (+?)

Scott Johntson

sparkycom

SquidsDC

Starfish

StephenB

synaesthesia

thistle +3

Tripewriter

tweaked

txaggie

Walrus

Zoramargolis

I'm really happy that so many people are coming, and I only wish it could be more. (Well, why can't it be more?)

And everyone who goes, make SURE you thank crackers for all the hard work she is putting into this. It simply would not happen without her help.

Cheers,

Rocks.

Okay new members: who else is in?

Last bump, but please continue to post what you'll be bringing.

How is everybody's prep going?

Wine and Beer: If you plan to drink wine and/or beer, please bring a contribution of same or similar. Some people are bringing water, but feel free to also bring your own water bottle.

Site Rental Fee: We will have a voluntary contribution box to help defray the $145 fee that Jacques has been kind enough to front. $2 per mouth should cover it. If, by some miracle there is an overage, it will be applied to the next picnic site rental or donated to the Food Bank or some other charity of Don Rockwell's choosing.

1.Beverages

Wine

Barbara

JPW - Virginia wine

Melgold

Scott Johnston

Starfish

txaggie/cjsadler

Walrus - red wine

ZoraMargolis

Beer

Barbara

Crackers

Ol_Ironstomach

Pat

Tweaked

JPW

ICD: Belgian beer- Hoegarten or Leffe blonde.

Home Brew

ferment everything

mdt - keg of mild

Non-Alcoholic

Anna Blume: concentrated syrup

cucas87: water

Danielk: soda

laniloa

legant: water

rvanrens: water

Scott Johnston: Diet Coke / ice

Other:

Jacques Gastreaux: [evil] Martian Pig Slop from Hell

sparkycom: potent potables

2. Appetizers, Salads and Condiments

BrettAshley01: watermelon or fruit salad

clayrae: chilled fruit soup

Crackpot Gourmet: Bloody Mary gazpacho

cucas87: mojito salad (vegan but alcoholic)

ferment everything: homemade gouda

Grover: Inari sushi

legant: Miracle Whip (for bacon tasting)

mktye: sun-dried tomato mayo, arugula (for BAT sandwiches)

mushman: Greek cucumber salad

Pat: farro salad with tomatoes and herbs

pidgey: curry lentil salad

rkduggins: sage potato salad (vegan)

rkduggins: corn and wild rice salad (contains chicken stock)

Scott Johnston: deviled eggs (curry and plain); Vermont NY 2 yr. sharp cheese

SquidsDC: spicy cole slaw, mayonnaise, maple syrup (for bacon tasting)

StephenB: deviled eggs

ZoraMargolis: mulberry, Queen Anne cherry, and crabapple-mint preserves

3. Meat and Main Courses (non-vegan/non-vegetarian)

AGM: a lamb

bbq4me: ribs

ICD: Cuban picadillo

Ilaine: grandmother's fried chicken or smoked piglet

Jacques Gastreaux: smoked pork butt

legant: ribs

rvanrens: some kind of meat

squidsDC: marinated chicken pieces

Thistle: NC style Boston butt

Tweaked: blood sausage

4. Vegetable Dishes

Anna Blume: escarole pie with pine nuts

demvtr: vegetable dish TBD

holdtheline: vegetable dish TBD – maybe mushroom duxelles sandwiches

melgold: pasta frittata with veggies and cheese

Scott Johnston: roasted vegetable tort (vegan)

ZoraMargolis: fresh fava bean mousse

5. Baked Goods and Desserts

Barbara: Michel Richard's chocolate mousse dome cake

BrettAshley01: crackers or pita chips

cjsaddler / txaggie: mini hot pepper jelly and cream cheese biscuits.

Crackpot Gourmet: crepes (?)

cucas87: some kind of light dessert

ICD: buns for Cuban picadillo

mktye: sweet and savory focaccias, sourdough and rye breads, another sweet

Pat: cheesecake, berries, loaf of white bread, creme de menthe brownies

Paula: cupcakes, cookies (?)

RaisaB: TBD (or hohos and little debbies)

sparkycom: gougeres

Thistle: poundcake

Tweaked: madelines

txaggie/cjsaddler: cookies

6. Bacon-tasting

clayrae - Trader Joes assortment

crackers: Neopol Smokery organic fruitwood smoked bacon (nitrate free/low sodium)

Crackpot Gourmet: buckboard bacon

ferment everything: homemade smoked

JPW

legant: scrapple, tomatoes, lettuce, wheat toast

Ol_Ironstomach

Pat: Whole Foods and also turkey bacon

Pete/Paula: Wegmans

Scott Johnston

Walrus

I'm really happy that so many people are coming, and I only wish it could be more. (Well, why can't it be more?)

And everyone who goes, make SURE you thank crackers for all the hard work she is putting into this. It simply would not happen without her help.

Cheers,

Rocks.

Okay new members: who else is in?

I wish we could go, but with family in town and preparing to sell our houses and move I don't think it can happen ;)

Oh no...I've been getting plenty of help from cucas87, Scott Johnston, Goldenticket, JG, Ol_ironstomach, and everybody who has stepped up to offer rides, bring supplies and fill in gaps. Plus, the foundation was laid with the excellent organizational skills of hillvalley, mktye and Zora at the previous picnics.

However, it would seem that a certain amount of smoke is being blown in a certain direction in an attempt to curry such favor as necessary to allow a certain amount of select delectibles to be transported from the picnic to a certain person who will not be attending.

If you can't commit, you must forfeit.

Still me + 2. Updates/ingredients on the food I'm bringing:

Bacon:

Pork Belly

Salt

Sugar

Juniper Berries

Hardwood to be named later

Gouda (~10 months old):

Milk from the now-defunct dairy of Adam Cook

Rennet

Mesophilic starter

Cheese wax

(thinking about smoking this too, but we'll see how it looks when i take it out of the wax tomorrow)

Beer: click

Not again! You gotta be there! Certainly at the very end of the picnic, the crumbs (if any) can be loaded and transported, but not during the event. That is rather rude for the participants who did come out. And if you think there will be any bacon left.......

However, it would seem that a certain amount of smoke is being blown in a certain direction in an attempt to curry such favor as necessary to allow a certain amount of select delectibles to be transported from the picnic to a certain person who will not be attending.

If you can't commit, you must forfeit.

I was thinking about roast pig, and then walked outside into almost 100 degree heat, and decided, no.

Fried chicken it is.

I will bring it in a cooler so it stays nice and cold.

Going out to buy some nice chickens now.

I'll be there , maybe w/ just +2 kids- I have 2 10 lb. butts out in the smoker, will start poundcake soon, & bake rolls in the morning. We'll also bring asstd. drinks in a cooler, some mass market bacon (Boar's Head, John Morrell, & Gwaltney), & whatever chips my kids haven't opened up by tomorrow. Looking forward to meeting everyone...Linda

I'm running way behind, and the cheesecake did not come out correctly. I don't know if I have time and ingredients to try again, especially since I cannot figure what on earth went wrong with it.

Pat, I feel your pain! I just burnt an entire batch of pita chips! GRRRRRRRRR

I'm running way behind, and the cheesecake did not come out correctly. I don't know if I have time and ingredients to try again, especially since I cannot figure what on earth went wrong with it.

DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT just show up!
I'm forging ahead, Don. Right now the cheesecake looks like The Thing That Ate Manhattan. I hope it improves a bit once it cools ;)

Thanks for your sympathy, Brett. I hope your remaining pita chips are more cooperative.

Rescheduling is for wimps. :P There's a quite large picnic shelter, if I am remembering the place right, although that might not do much to protect you from 25 MPH winds.
At least it will be cozy ;)

Congrats on your first post!

Don't let the weather stop you from coming: summer showers last ~ 20 minutes; more than enough time to get to know other Rockwellians under the covered shelter. And, the Tug-o-War will be a lot more interesting.

The only thing that could stop this crew is a freak June snow show of 3 feet. Oops! This is DC; make that 3 inches! ;)

I'll be coming and bringing a Greek cucumber and yogurt salad. LuvTeddybears8 may be coming with me, but the weather forecast has us concerned. Has any thought been given to rescheduling?

Time has nearly forced me into deciding what to bake and I have in the works...

Focaccia, topped with: chevre & green onion; rosemary & sea salt; blue cheese & walnuts; and a sweet one with streusel & blueberries (from my in-laws' farm).

Also some other sweet (most likely blondies or maybe pralines) still to be determined in the next 15 minutes.

Lastly, a loaf of sourdough, a loaf of onion/caraway rye, sun-dried tomato mayo and some arugula (I prefer BATs to BLTs) to help with the consumption of leftover bacon (ha! a concept that is nearly inconceivable) from the tasting.

(And, no, legant, I have not forgotten your special request! ;) )

We will be there RAIN OR SHINE. I will bring plastic tarping if we need to cover things up temporarily, but I think we'll put the food tables in the center of the pavilion for maximum protection. If you have a portable awning/canopy thing, consider bringing it. See you tomorrow!

p.s. no tug of war - nobody stepped up to captain either team. ;) But I'll still be bringing eggs for the egg toss.

We will be there RAIN OR SHINE. I will bring plastic tarping if we need to cover things up temporarily, but I think we'll put the food tables in the center of the pavilion for maximum protection.
How is the rain going to affect bacon grilling? Can that be set up under cover?