Illegal Cocktails

So, your just back from vacation and you have that tanned, smug, grin on your face. Customs totally missed that bottle of absinth/"under-the-counter" rum/moonshine/opium tinqure/etc. What to do with it now? You could drink it neat :lol: or you could try to make a native cocktail :P or you could try one of these recipies :o

The wicked illeagal cocktail- 1 1/2 oz rye 1 oz absinth 1/2 oz opium tinqure 2oz pineapple juice dash angastora bitter. SHAKE WELL serve up with a cherry. This is the perfect start/end of the day drink and, just make one for each person, more than that would just be excessive.

Manhatten by dawn- 1oz rye 1 oz absinth 2oz sweet vermouth dash peyshund bitters. Stir and serve up with a cherry. I like this one as a last drink of the night, usually at or, just past, dawn.

Blackberry brandy-1 gallon jug of moonshine( the southern type, made with 100% corn, also known as corn liquor) 1 quart black berries 1/2 cup of sugar. Add all ingriedients together, marinate for days and days then, marinate for days and days.

Blackberry brandy-1 gallon jug of moonshine( the southern type, made with 100% corn, also known as corn liquor) 1 quart black berries 1/2 cup of sugar. Add all ingriedients together, marinate for days and days then, marinate for days and days.
Virginia Lightning would likely work for this. It is made with 100% Virginia grown corn, however, it is missing those authentic flavor imparted by lead, turpentine, and methanol of some of the more rustic hooch.

Years ago, a Kentucky congressman (no longer in office) gave me a bottle of real, honest-to-goodness backwoods Kentucky moonshine, along with the warning "If you go blind, you didn't get this from me. Hell, you didn't get this from me, period."

Just going within 10 feet of the jar hurt.

We ended up acting like the @sshat 24 year olds that we were and we made Shineapple Shots on New Years Eve. Moonshine and pineapple jello. I can't remember much from that night, but I do remember there were some problems getting the jello to conjeal. We finally figured it out though and managed to get so rip roaring wasted that the New Years Eve dinner table shot featured four of the twelve participants actually passed out with their heads on their plates. And this was before dinner.

For real absinthe, mix with a teaspoon of sugar and a little bit of ice water. Drink 2-3, and stare at the wall.

Or drink 1-2 after your birthday dinner at a friend's house, go out for a night on the town, and be surprised to wake up the next morning in the comfy massage chair in your downtown office :o

For those willing to let fed ex do thier smuggling for them, King of spirits gold is a modern absinth made with a 200 year old recipe. The thurjon count (phyco-active ingriedient) is 100pp/ml. More than most from 'back in the day'.

True, but as with most distillates the difficulty is not in knowing what herbals went into the base brew, but in not knowing exactly how they were distilled to produce the final product. Many of the obscure eastern European brands of "absinthe" are supposedly wormwood-infused GNS, and not true absinthe which must be distilled.

Stills are different, distillation temperatures are different, and precisely documenting the cutting of the heads and tails was impossible 200 years ago. This is why Ted Breaux's approach with the Jade brand is remarkable - he's using vintage equipment, but his target profile was determined by modern laboratory assay of sealed samples of high-quality period absinthes. Everyone else is basically guessing at flavor, alcohol content, and safety. Caveat emptor.

Absinthe was approved again in Swizerland as of January '05. It is made from wormwood and originated in Switzerland. It is available in most European countries, including Italy. This is the place where my genius son and his friend, 16 and 18 respectively, decided to do shots of it this summer. After 7 shots of Absinthe he ended up in the hospital. Absinthe is a forbidden word in my household :o ! (BTW, the absinthe in the USA does not have wormwood, so it is not the real thing).

Yes,

but do they have any left?

Absinthe was approved again in Swizerland as of January '05. It is made from wormwood and originated in Switzerland. It is available in most European countries, including Italy. This is the place where my genius son and his friend, 16 and 18 respectively, decided to do shots of it this summer. After 7 shots of Absinthe he ended up in the hospital. Absinthe is a forbidden word in my household :o ! (BTW, the absinthe in the USA does not have wormwood, so it is not the real thing).

In Khartoum, where alcohol is forbidden, I recommend drinking the raki from your neighborhood still (stored in a Johnny Walker bottle, of course) over ice to cut the edges. Actually makes it taste like sake.

In Darfur, where booze is also forbidden, I have been advised that it's best not to drink the neighborhood raki at all, as it's cut with tap water, and nothing's worse than having a hangover AND cholera.