General Store and Post Office Tavern, Forest Glen - Closed

Of course I'm familiar. It's not super transit-friendly (A healthy 10 minute walk for transit) but I fundamentally disagree with the idea of "parking minumums" and I believe it should be up to "the market" or businessperson whether they want to provide parking, free or otherwise, to their customers. Their success of failure should be due to their decisions alone, not whatever arbitrary decision of the same county government that limits which wines a restaurant is able to serve......

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Forest Glen Metro station is a healthy 10 min walk away. Or a 45 minute crawl (in my case).

A fine option for those who, like you, live crawling distance from the metro at the other end, as well.

Of course I'm familiar. It's not super transit-friendly (A healthy 10 minute walk for transit) but I fundamentally disagree with the idea of "parking minumums" and I believe it should be up to "the market" or businessperson whether they want to provide parking, free or otherwise, to their customers. Their success of failure should be due to their decisions alone, not whatever arbitrary decision of the same county government that limits which wines a restaurant is able to serve......

Totally different situations from an economics standpoint. County limits on wine service indeed serve no economic purpose (other than to swell the county's coffers), artificially raise prices and limit choice when choice is plentiful.

Parking, being finite, is different. As I said before, I am not intimate with the location, but throughout much of the county parking is a limited resource. Economic theory suggests that markets are indeed the most efficient way to allocate such resources, and your faith in markets is touching. But if there is no cost for consuming this resource then there is no market and your argument evaporates like a prime spot on a Georgetown Saturday night. Parking minimums are one way to create a market (as the cost of parking spaces is ultimately passed on to the car owners), as are parking meters.

There are also possibly "quality of life" issues present (this is Montgomery County, after all). But, as a confirmed city dweller who has never in 30 years not had a stranger's car parked in front of my residence, I don't claim to understand those who find such a situation problematic.

I used to manage a restaurant that was surrounded by fields, pastures, and woods. There was literally acres of space. When we expanded our occupancy due to construction of a closed patio, Baltimore County forced us to pave a field to create 12 more parking spaces.

I used to manage a restaurant that was surrounded by fields, pastures, and woods. There was literally acres of space. When we expanded our occupancy due to construction of a closed patio, Baltimore County forced us to pave a field to create 12 more parking spaces.

Well, yeah. You wouldn't want the missus' all wheel drive mobile living room to get dirty, now, would you?

According to, of all places, WaPo's Going Out Gurus our wait is slightly coming to an end.

The restaurateurs have been working to change their operating license from a mercantile certificate to a restaurant certificate. According to Smith, in order to have a restaurant certificate, the business must offer 30 parking spaces for patrons. The General Store only owns seven. The restaurateurs are trying to build a case for the county, but in the meantime, they've just decided to open as a carryout shop. The operating hours are still being worked out during this transition period, but Smith says they plan to be open with a slightly limited menu this Saturday and Sunday between 1:30 and 10 p.m. Breakfast hours could be added next week, but the restaurant will be closed on Monday.
Carryout only? Too bad the weather isn't picnic friendly.

From the Mailing list:

Hey Folks,

Did you think this day would never come? There are times we thought the same. Its been almost two years in the making and now it is finally ready. Well, almost.

There's still the parking issue with the county left to resolve. But we've got food coming in and we're going to cook it.

We're hoping you can join us this Saturday when we open The General Store. Its that old blue building at the intersection of Forest Glen & Capital View. We're going to open the doors at 1:30 pm and stay open until 10pm. There's no alcohol yet, but we've got a fascinating selection of sodas.

Here's the cosmic joke...that parking issue?...well, until its resolved we can only serve carry-out. Give us a couple of weeks to walk the paperwork through the zoning department of the county, and you'll be able to really enjoy the dining room that took us two years to build.

See You Soon,

Chef & Robin

Just polished off half a fried chicken with collards and corn bread from opening day at the General Store. It's a beautiful space with a kind of "old south" charm to it. The first thing you notice is the refurbished player piano which occasionally belts out tunes as you await your food. The counter is up front, with a few tables along the side, and more in the back. The basement isn't finished yet, but it appears to be where the bar will eventually be. There's ample space along the side and out back for outdoor seating, if that's what the owners decide to do.

Robin mentioned that there were a few glitches that they're trying to work out - certainly not unexpected on opening day. The menu consisted of a soup of the day, chili, beef stew, three or four sandwiches, fried chicken, side orders of mac/cheese and collards, and pie (I was told today's offering was sweet potato). Sorry if I forgot anything on the menu.

We got there about an hour after the advertised 1:30pm opening and there was already a steady line of people going in and out. Ran into rkduggins and joec from the board. We're looking forward to many continued visits here, especially once the basement gets done and we can sit at the bar!!

Congrats to Chef and Robin.

Just polished off half a fried chicken with collards and corn bread from opening day at the General Store. It's a beautiful space with a kind of "old south" charm to it. The first thing you notice is the refurbished player piano which occasionally belts out tunes as you await your food. The counter is up front, with a few tables along the side, and more in the back. The basement isn't finished yet, but it appears to be where the bar will eventually be. There's ample space along the side and out back for outdoor seating, if that's what the owners decide to do.

Robin mentioned that there were a few glitches that they're trying to work out - certainly not unexpected on opening day. The menu consisted of a soup of the day, chili, beef stew, three or four sandwiches, fried chicken, side orders of mac/cheese and collards, and pie (I was told today's offering was sweet potato). Sorry if I forgot anything on the menu.

We got there about an hour after the advertised 1:30pm opening and there was already a steady line of people going in and out. Ran into rkduggins and joec from the board. We're looking forward to many continued visits here, especially once the basement gets done and we can sit at the bar!!

Congrats to Chef and Robin.

We were there at 2:30 and brought home terrific collards, great fried chicken, macaroni and cheese, fish tacos and lentil soup. All excellent. (There was an apple crumb pie as well as the sweet potato.) When we left at 3 pm, the line was getting longish. It looks like there is room for two outdoor seating areas!

By the time I arrived, after 4p, the soup was 86'd. I'm glad I didn't know it was Lentil [one of my CK Favs].

I dined by the Dashboard Light out of worry that the light & crispy fish tacos [three in a cute box suitable for wrapping] wouldn't travel well [the world may never know]. My Beef Stew is tucked into the 'fridge at work. :P

NOTE: One of today's glitches is that the Credit Card machine is nonfunctioning.

Congrats to Chef & Robin -- yes, it was worth the wait.

Congrats to Chef and Robin on their very successful first day! As xcanuck noted, there was quite a crowd by 2:30--I recognized him for the Passage to India Spice Night last year, so I introduced myself and also got to meet rkduggins. My order was a hodgepodge--I wanted the fried chicken, but decided to defer that until dinner and went instead with a crispy shrimp sandwich on a baguette (excellent), a very good order of chile, and mac and cheese for my wife.

At 7:00 I returned to get the fried chicken, but was told be a very gracious and apologetic Chef that they were completely out of food. I guess the word spread quickly on the neighborhood list-serv.

As noted, it's a terrific space. Welcome to the neighborhood!

I don't know about the chicken but everything else was under $10. I got the fish tacos, beef stew, a side of collards, and a big bottle of vanilla creme soda for $25.

For those of you going without a GPS-it's the little blue building down the street from the gas station.

The fish tacos come three to a box with nice big pieces of expertly fried fish. The cheese melts and blends with the avocado and it's just damn good. A splash of hot sauce or squeeze of lime would have sent the tacos over the top. The greens, well, they are about as good as it gets.

More importantly, Chef looked happy getting comfortable in the new kitchen, although it was a little weird to see her with so much room.

Is there any official place to check for hours? I'd like to get there for lunch tomorrow, but haven't seen anything mentioned about them being opened during the week.

I stopped by today for lunch. The hours listed are 8 a.m. - 9 p.m. Tuesday - Friday, and I believe 1:30 p.m. - 10 p.m. on Sat/Sun [they're closed on Mondays].

Oh & I echo the comments above of the fish tacos. The fresh fish combined w/ the avocado and cheese was quite yummy! Also enjoyed the Mac 'n Cheese on the side + a bottled Boylan to wash it down.

I stopped in Tuesday night before a meeting. Had the quarter fried chicken with collards and corn bread, the fish tacos and the chocolate chip cookies. I ate the chicken in the car immediately and waited 10 minutes until I was at my destination to eat the tacos. Everything was quite good. I would probably skip the chicken in the future--the seasonings just weren't what I look for in chicken. But the fish tacos were a hit. I'd probably want some cilantro and a little lime but I thought that was a home run. The chocolate chip cookies were crisp and perfect for dipping in my morning coffee.

All in all, a pretty nice addition to that part of town. Looking forward to seeing what else Chef comes up with in the coming weeks!

Just wondering if anyone has heard any updates...
I picked up lunch there today. It sounds as though there's an important meeting next week regarding their parking situation. Wish them well. If you know which county or community meeting has this on their agenda, please let us all know.

Too bad the Fish Tacos [now double-ply corn tortillas] are so good -- it's hard to order much else. Smiling as I sit at my desk and finish a slice of Robin's Pecan Pie :P

Looks like sitdown meals are 'acoming.

I received this as an email from Chef & Robin late tonight.

Hey Everyone,

What a wild ride the last four weeks have been.

We want to thank everyone for all their patience, well wishes, and overwhelming support.

We have good news and bad news. First, we won't be open tomorrow until 5:00. We need to get ready for the good news...we're finally able to have you all sit down and have a meal. Carry-out will still be available of course. But now you'll be able to enjoy your breakfast, lunch, or dinner in the entertaining and comfortable dining room that it took us over two years to build.

We have one last inspection from the county before we start serving beer and wine. Hopefully it won't be long.

See you soon,

Chef & Robin

Looks like sitdown meals are 'acoming.
Had lunch on Friday with Steve, the local alphaChowhound, and split Fish Tacos, Shrimp PoBoy, Veg Cobbler and both Lemon Chess & Pecan pies. What a pleasure to be able to sit in the back room and enjoy the food.

From Tim Carman's Washington City Paper blog:

Parking for the restaurant can be found in two locations—behind the store, where there are seven spots, and across the street, where there are about 15 more spaces. So far, parking hasn't been a problem, although competition for those spaces could increase once Clark and Smith open the Post Office Tavern, which is located downstairs. The watering hole has seats for about 13-18 people.

Speaking of the tavern, Clark and Smith also have their liquor license in hand, and should the county make its expected delivery, the General Store will be selling beer tomorrow. The list is limited now, but will expand in the near future, Smith promises.

Went last night to the place which is in an interesting location. There is no waiter service. You order and pay at the counter and your meal is delivered to your table. I had three pieces of fried chicken and mac and cheese for $12, my companion had the curried tuna sandwich for $8 plus a side order of collard greens. The ten-year-old had the children's plate for $5 consisting of one piece of chicken and the mac and cheese. I had the pecan pie and companion had the lemon chess pie. Everything was excellent. I paid cash because it didn't appear that they accept credit cards.

I do note that much of the "decor" seemed to be transported from Colorado Kitchen. The place is well worth the trip if you can carefully pay attention and find it.

Moderators>> Please delete (No Alcohol Yet) from the topic's description.

Yes my dears -- we have lift off.

I leave it to Chef or Robin to describe their Wine & Beer Program.

Edit to add for Clayrae: According to the GOG it opens at 1:30p on weekends. It's sad to drive up and see breakfast is only served during the week. >sigh<

We're back from our trip up to the General Store - the parking spaces they had definitely seemed to be full. We live in downtown Silver Spring, and so decided to take a nice walk up 2nd to Seminary up to the place - perfect for working up an appetite - and working some of it off on the way back home. I ordered the lentil soup and the root vegetable cobbler - the cobbler was fantastic - actually tasted like chicken noodle soup in food form. Very comforting and good. E had the fried chicken and mac and cheese - and I picked at his fried chicken because it was fabulous. The space is very nice, comfortable - we sat in a table in the back room (we were at first nervous when we got there because all the front tables were full).

We finished up with the chocolate pecan pie (not chocolate hazelnut as I accidentally ordered) - which was fabulous, and would have been even more fabulous if it were about 10 degrees warmer. It would have been a lot messier, however. Even E, who doesn't usually do pecan loved it - it wasn't overly sweet the way some pecan pies can be.

Definitely worth the quiet walk up there - we'll be back, probably for the fish tacos.

I had the fried chicken for the umpteenth time for lunch today. It's just great stuff--I'm developing a serious jones--along with the collards and the mac 'n cheese. Today it as the latter and it was the best it's been so far. I live MUCH too close to this place. I'm also partial to the lemon chess pie, just about a perfect blend of sweet and tangy.

The General Store is open today with Robin at the stove while Chef is at the Southern Foodways Alliance Potlikker Film Festival.

Tomorrow will be the first Sunday Waffle Brunch. No carryout, just eat-in.

Howdy Folks,

Spring is finally here and, for most of us, our religious obligations have been satisfied. We can let our souls rest a spell and let our taste buds have the spot light for a little while. This weekend, you'll find plenty of opportunity to give the ol' taste buds a thrill.

The General Store's much anticipated ALL-WAFFLE BRUNCH begins this Sunday, April 19th. We're baking batches of sweet and savory waffles topped with fruit, fried chicken, bacony-hash, goat cheese, pure maple syrup, and more.

Brunch begins at 11:30 and ends at 2:30. Then we open for Sunday Dinner at 5:30. We're devoting Sunday night dinner to an American Classic each week.

So take note of the Sunday changes—Brunch from 11:30 to 2:30, Sunday Dinner from 5:30 to 9pm. We won't be doing carry out on Sundays. And that menu you've been bellying up to all week? That gets a rest as well. Just WAFFLES in the AM and the delicious Sunday Dinner in the PM.

If you can't wait until Sunday, you're going to want to head over to Johnny's Half Shell for the Saturday April 18th from 6pm to 9pm.

The Potlikker Film Festival screens a series of films on Southern cuisine, including Hot Chicken, Eat or We Both Starve, and Feeding the Soul at Jones Valley Urban Farm, at Johnny's Half Shell (400 N. Capitol St., NW). Food, provided by Washington chefs, includes potlikker shots by Mark Furstenberg (Remarkable Breads), wood-fired Florida hoe cakes by Terrel Danley (Crème Cafe), Delta-catfish tamales by Ann Cashion (Johnny's Half Shell), buttermilk-brined fried chicken by Gillian Clark (General Store and Post Office Tavern), heirloom pigs in hand-stitched blankets by Jeff Buben (Vidalia), and jack-and-sweets pie by David Guas (Damgoodsweet). Jazz music will be provided by the Jimmy Burrell Band. The event costs $40 and goes from 6 to 9. Register at www.southernfoodways.com.

See you soon,

Chef & Robin

The General Store

6 Post Office Rd.

Silver Spring, MD 20910

(301) 562-8787

www.myspace.com/thebluebuilding

The General Store is open today with Robin at the stove while Chef is at the Southern Foodways Alliance Potlikker Film Festival.

Tomorrow will be the first Sunday Waffle Brunch. No carryout, just eat-in.

Is the downstairs bar open yet?

Chef said that her fried chicken ran out an hour into the film festival and I can see why. The pieces were moist, not too heavily breaded and the seasoning wasn't heavy or over-salted at all. I was happy that there was a mixture of dark and white meat. For $11 for the 3 pieces of fried chicken, 2 squares of cornbread and a side of collard greens, it was easily enough to split with another person. The atmosphere was a great place for four ladies to catch up at a leisurely pace without being rushed by any servers to leave, and my friends loved how they had to ask their GPS's if they had found the right place or not (yes, we talk to our machines), only to arrive discovering such a great gem.

The place ran smoothly without Chef and Robin kept the food coming at a great pace. The only thing to watch for is that there are candied pecans in the Apple pie, for those who have nut-allergies.

Is the downstairs bar open yet?
As of tonight, there was still a sign posted stating "the downstairs is closed."

Are the weekday hours still 8 am to 9 pm?
I just took a look at their MySpace page and it has hours, menus and some good before and after pictures.

As of today, their hours are:

The General Store's new hours are:

Monday - Closed

Tuesday through Friday - 8:00 am to 9:00 pm

Saturday - 1:30 pm to 10:00 pm

Sunday Brunch - 11:30 am to 2:30 pm

Sunday Dinner - 5:30 pm to 9:00 pm

I just took a look at their MySpace page and it has hours, menus and some good before and after pictures.

Went to the General Store last night. I am not sure what the fuss is about. I didn't think the fried chicken had much flavor and mine was a little bit dried out. The collard greens were good as was the corn bread but not enough to make a return visit a must. My husband had the fish tacos though, and he was quite pleased. We had cupcakes for dessert and I found it strange that it was mandatory to have two for $5.00 rather than an option for just one. I will say the the cake was delicious, while the frosting was a little heavy and sweet. All in all I was a little disapointed.

Went to the General Store last night. I am not sure what the fuss is about. I didn't think the fried chicken had much flavor and mine was a little bit dried out. The collard greens were good as was the corn bread but not enough to make a return visit a must. My husband had the fish tacos though, and he was quite pleased. We had cupcakes for dessert and I found it strange that it was mandatory to have two for $5.00 rather than an option for just one. I will say the the cake was delicious, while the frosting was a little heavy and sweet. All in all I was a little disapointed.

I, too, think the frosting on the cupcakes are very sweet, especially the vanilla/buttermilk ones. The frosting seems to overwhelm (in both amount and sweetness) the fairly nice, basic and moist cake underneath. The chocolate ganache seems less sweet than the buttermilk/vanilla option.

I, too, think the frosting on the cupcakes are very sweet, especially the vanilla/buttermilk ones. The frosting seems to overwhelm (in both amount and sweetness) the fairly nice, basic and moist cake underneath. The chocolate ganache seems less sweet than the buttermilk/vanilla option.

To premise this, I have had the vanilla/vanilla and vanilla/chocolate...(2 of each)

I disagree!! I think the Post Office is baking the best cupcakes in DC. The cakes are the right size (not too big) and perfectly dense and moist and the FROSTING is fabulous! Sugary sweet with a hint of flaked sea salt. I'm glad she only sells them in pairs, bc if she didn't I would probably limit myself to just one.

Here's their menu for tomorrow's Sunday family-style dinner:

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Sat, Jun 20, 2009 2:26 pm

Subject: Fishing Camp Trout

Howdy Folks,

So you and Dad spent the afternoon fishing, and they were biting like crazy. You two caught enough to feed the whole town. The farmer down the road picked his tomatoes early. The neighbor brings over a slab of bacon, and mom knows just what to do with that bushel of new red potatoes.Well, it didn't really happen that way but you can pretend and bring your dad in on Sunday night for Fishing Camp Trout, Fried Green Tomatoes, Roasted New Potatoes, and a Pabst Blue Ribbon.

If you can't make it for Sunday Dinner there is our All Waffle Brunch from 11:30 to 2:30.

See you soon,

Chef & Robin

The General Store

6 Post Office Road

Silver Spring, MD 20910

301/562-8787

MySpace.com/thebluebuilding

We had a fabulous weekday night dinner at the General Store with out of town friends. The fried chicken and collards were excellent and the fish tacos were outstanding! We loved the casual ambience. This is a terrific addition to the neighborhood. Keep up the great work.

We were there Friday night, our first time dining in. Last time was shortly after they opened, when they were carry out only.

I tried the fried chicken this time, it was as good as everyone says it is. And it made me realize it has been a LONG time since I've had fried chicken. I guess I never found any worth having, until now. The collards were good too, though a little too smokey for me - due to the amount of bacon I assume. But then, I'm used to greens made without bacon.

The wife had the portabello reuben (portabello on grilled rye, thousand island, swiss cheese I think) which was very good that night, and what was still left over for Saturday's lunch. The mac and cheese, unfortunately, was not as good as last time. Originally it had more of a bechamel sauce, with bits of onions. This time was drier, no cheese sauce, and cornbread.

Service was very friendly, and business seemed steady. They also mentioned that the downstairs tavern would be open soon (a few weeks) as soon as they can get staff trained.

Too hot in the kitchen Sunday?

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Wed, Jul 15, 2009 10:58 am

Subject: Summa Time

Howdy Folks,

It's that time of year when we all want to be outside. It's even too hot to turn on that heat blasting stove in that inferno of a kitchen. We crave the outdoors so much it effects our digestive system. The smell of smoke makes us hungry. We want that outdoor food: BBQ.

The General Store understands. This Sunday's Dinner is our slow cooked BBQ'd chicken. For $16.95 you get half a bird that's been dry rubbed, slow roasted, and basted with Chef's signature sauce. It's tangy and sweet and smokey and goes perfect with our best backyard macaroni salad.

We don't do carry out on Sunday, so put on your feastin' clothes and get your eat on.

See you soon,

Chef & Robin The General Store

6 Post Office Rd.

Silver Spring, MD 20910

(301) 562-8787

www.myspace.com/thebluebuilding

That was probably the best fried chicken I've had so far in the DC area (although I still haven't had a taste of RJ Cooper's) - as flavorful and moist on the interior as Peter Smith's, but CRISPY to boot.

Even better: the coconut cream pie. Excellent filling and whipped cream layers, on a *perfectly* flaky crust. That sucker wasn't merely flaky through the thin bottom, but also all through the thick edge.

It's a bit of a haul for take-out from where we live, but it's definitely going onto our list.

I have the chance to work 5 minutes from the general store and I feel lucky!

The sandwiches for lunch are exquisite, made to order with very fresh ingredients.

The fried chicken is one of the best in the Washington area.

I also love the selection of sodas.

Maybe some people don't understand that a simple food very well prepared with good ingredients is what food is all about.

The ones who don't understand are probably the same ones who think Mini-Bar has a great food.

I will keep going for my lunch and I was happy to notice that there are more and more people.

So they must do something right!!!!!

Congratulations!!!!!

Anyone had a chance to stop by the newly opened Tavern portion of GSPOT? I'll make it over there soon, but was curious if there is draft beer and cocktails (versus just bottled beer and wine), and if you can get the upstairs menu down in the tavern (along with the tavern menu).

Got there today for a late lunch (2:00? it opens at 1:30). There's a bus stop that goes from white flint metro to just on the corner there. A great thing when carless!

I got the fish tacos and liked them, but didn't love them. The guacamole is outstanding. The fish left me sort of shrug and I don't think the cheese adds. Good tortilla. I think it would be improved by more of a cilantro/onion/cabbage 'thing' instead of the cheese. I don't think they're bad, but I don't think they're at all standout. Great to be able to wash them down with a beer! My friend had the fried chicken, which she declared fantastic, mac and cheese (which we both agreed was delicious) and Chef's wonderful cornbread. I would certainly go back; I probably wouldn't order the fish tacos again.