General Store and Post Office Tavern, Forest Glen - Closed

I really do want to enthusiastically recommended GSPOT, and based on three meals there (prior tavern), it is a bit easier. However as a local joint, I just can't get past the price/portion ratio. If you just graded the food, I would say it is among the, if not the best, in SS. But given the portion size and prices, it will not be in our regular rotation for going out simply because I can't justify spending that amount of $ in the 'burbs and not being stuffed.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I really do want to enthusiastically recommended GSPOT, and based on three meals there (prior tavern), it is a bit easier. However as a local joint, I just can't get past the price/portion ratio. If you just graded the food, I would say it is among the, if not the best, in SS. But given the portion size and prices, it will not be in our regular rotation for going out simply because I can't justify spending that amount of $ in the 'burbs and not being stuffed.

This is something that I just don't understand. So if this place was located in the city you would have no problem? :rolleyes: You must feel stuffed after you eat in the 'burbs?

Why do folks feel that they need a certain amount (weight) of food to feel that they received their monies worth? I guess that is why there are so many commercials that advertise 1 lb. (or more) of <insert corporate crap food item here> for some amazingly low price. Why can't money be spent in the 'burbs (not sure why that qualifier had to be there) for good quality ingredients that are prepared well?

This is something that I just don't understand. So if this place was located in the city you would have no problem? :rolleyes: You must feel stuffed after you eat in the 'burbs?

Why do folks feel that they need a certain amount (weight) of food to feel that they received their monies worth? I guess that is why there are so many commercials that advertise 1 lb. (or more) of <insert corporate crap food item here> for some amazingly low price. Why can't money be spent in the 'burbs (not sure why that qualifier had to be there) for good quality ingredients that are prepared well?

I just thought I would share some pictures from a recent visit. I went in expecting that I'd need to order like four dishes just to stay full. This is not the case. I found no problem at all with the portion sizes. One chicken dinner at $12.50 is enough to leave any normally-appetited person full. The fish tacos were among the biggest I've seen. I think the plates were probably 12 inches in diameter, so you can get a sense of everything else in proportion. (Sorry for the poor quality on the tacos, I didn't use a flash on that one.)

Oh, and the food was pretty good. I'll definitely go back. I also found nothing wrong with the prices. My party shared several entrees and sides, a few non-alcoholic beverages, and two pieces of pie, and after tax and tip split the bill at $23 per person — and some of it had to be boxed because we couldn't finish all of it; the leftovers made up another single lunch.

post-66-12517477884_thumb.jpg

post-66-125174780042_thumb.jpg

So just use the initials: G-SPOT.

I don't know why I think of these things I just do.

Cheers, Rocks.

It's turns out Rocks is an online wag :(

Insider Joke

Online wags call the Tavern the G-Spot, for General Store Post Office Tavern

I'm not finding that in the online version (I HATE what the Post has done to its magazine!), so that's from the print version.

online review; 2 stars

Just got an update from Chef & Robin:

Takeout Taxi delivery to Wheaton, Kensington & Silver Spring. [Link for abbreviated menu below logo on order sheet, delivery fees apply]

http://takeouttaximd...THEGENERALSTORE

[Too bad the photos on the order page are generic and not their food.]

They'll be closed Christmas Eve & Christmas Day

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Tue, Dec 8, 2009 3:03 pm

Subject: Holiday Updates

Howdy Folks,

We have some news to catch ya'll up on.

Are you a Secret Santa for someone at the office you really don't know all that well? Is there no room left of Grandma's shelves for another knick-knack? The General Store has gift certificates available to make your holiday shopping a bit easier. You can pick up either a $25 or $50 certificate the next time you stop by.

We just signed up with Takeout Taxi. That means you can stay in your stocking feet and have The General Store come to you. Check out our menu on their web site before you call them. The full menu isn't available and delivery charges apply:

And last but not least, mark you calendars that The General Store will be closed Thursdya and Friday, December 24th and 25th. We will reopen for dinner at 5:00 on Saturday, December 26th.

See you soon,

Chef & Robin

The General Store

6 Post Office Rd.

Silver Spring, MD 20910

301/562-8787

www.myspace.com/thebluebuilding

www.facebook.com/thebluebuilding

www.twitter.com/6PostOffice

As of a couple of weeks ago it was all waffles, but that includes the Chicken and Waffles, as well as eggs with toast in the form of faux waffles. Very good for what it is, but I do miss the broader range of brunch items from CK, especially the catfish

Has anyone been for Sunday brunch? Is it crowded (so arrive early)? Is it still a waffles-only menu? I found an old brunch menu online and am very excited about the fried chicken and waffles, but can't tell if that's still an option.

Thanks.

DC

Went to the General Store a few weeks ago for my second visit, the first being shortly after they opened. Arrived around 1 pm on Tue. or Wed., not entirely sure which. Chef(s) Gillian and Robin were in residence. The flavor and tenderness of the chicken were fantastic, as were the sides of mac and cheese. I'd had the mac and cheese take-out my first time, and I now realize the folly of my ways. I also thoroughly enjoyed my artisanal soda. However I was extremely unhappy to realize upon receiving my chicken (the bill for myself and a friend totalled almost $50) this was the half-sheet tray of chicken that I had seen shoved back into the oven upon my arrival. While extremely tasty, the chix was soggy and obviously reheated, something I could forgive during a busy service, but not in the almost empty dining room we happened to be sitting in. This is not to say that this is the norm, nor to say that the chef(s) lack talent. I have lived in the Kensington area for 15 years and wholeheartedly laud the coming of real, passionate cooking. I just hope next time I come in for Chef Clark's famous chicken, I get it the first time around, not the second.

Short Amendment; the bill was almost $50 after tip and also splitting a chicken/tarragon salad sandwich, which was also fantastic.

While extremely tasty, the chix was soggy and obviously reheated, something I could forgive during a busy service, but not in the almost empty dining room we happened to be sitting in.

Seriously? Take a moment to think about what you're asking for here. Until Sanders promoted pressure-fried chicken in the early '60s, fried chicken to-order incurred a 25 minute wait, which made it a luxury item both for the diner and the restaurant. Busy service is precisely what is required to speculatively fry up a batch ahead of incoming orders, otherwise it's fry-and-hold. Nobody's going to throw out freshly fried chicken just because no diners walked in the door in the 5 minutes since it came ready.

Went to the General Store a few weeks ago for my second visit, the first being shortly after they opened. Arrived around 1 pm on Tue. or Wed., not entirely sure which. Chef(s) Gillian and Robin were in residence. The flavor and tenderness of the chicken were fantastic, as were the sides of mac and cheese. I'd had the mac and cheese take-out my first time, and I now realize the folly of my ways. I also thoroughly enjoyed my artisanal soda. However I was extremely unhappy to realize upon receiving my chicken (the bill for myself and a friend totalled almost $50) this was the half-sheet tray of chicken that I had seen shoved back into the oven upon my arrival. While extremely tasty, the chix was soggy and obviously reheated, something I could forgive during a busy service, but not in the almost empty dining room we happened to be sitting in. This is not to say that this is the norm, nor to say that the chef(s) lack talent. I have lived in the Kensington area for 15 years and wholeheartedly laud the coming of real, passionate cooking. I just hope next time I come in for Chef Clark's famous chicken, I get it the first time around, not the second.

Short Amendment; the bill was almost $50 after tip and also splitting a chicken/tarragon salad sandwich, which was also fantastic.

Sorry J. chicken is never reheated. I am basically frying chicken from 11 to 8 every night. Except sunday. You may have gotten the last of a tray that was kept in the warmer. But no chicken is in that warmer for more than 20 minutes. I only fry about 20 or 30 pieces at a time and they are usually gone in 15 minutes, slow or busy. Some folks come in and surprise me before I have had a chance to fry and they have to wait 20 minutes. That is okay for some, others make a big stink and leave. So I try and do my best to keep it on hand. As for me being here, for now, I am here all of the time. I'm the black one with the chef hat. Robin is the spikey haired white woman. We are always here. If you have something going on that is not to your liking, give us a shout.

Has anyone been for Sunday brunch? Is it crowded (so arrive early)? Is it still a waffles-only menu? I found an old brunch menu online and am very excited about the fried chicken and waffles, but can't tell if that's still an option.

Thanks.

DC

We are not very crowded on Sunday Brunch. I know. Hard to believe. We do have chicken and waffles. In fact it is what Guy Fieri asked me to cook for him. (He loved it btw). Any hoo we also do Eggs Benedict Waffle, biscuit and sausage gravy waffle, french toast waffle, scrambled egg and toast waffle, sweet potato waffle with goat cheese fritters and jam. You've got to try it.

As of a couple of weeks ago it was all waffles, but that includes the Chicken and Waffles, as well as eggs with toast in the form of faux waffles. Very good for what it is, but I do miss the broader range of brunch items from CK, especially the catfish

Yes. I know. Everyone misses the CK brunch. But listen, the General Store is a different place and was not designed to do that kind of volume or food. The kitchen and prep areas are designed to do the menu we've got. Sorry. But have faith. There is no limit to my genius. There will be more restaurants and more food, if I have anything to say about. More to love, more to hate, and more to just go, "eh". I have all kinds of plans for all sorts of places to pop out all over to DC (anyone got $15 million?). Seriously, we had no idea that Colorado Kitchen was really going to close. So the concept for the General Store was different on purpose and the real estate lends itself to a quick bite. It is not at all like CK and I know that hurts for some people. But it is what it is. Remember CK did not serve Fried Chicken every day either. And there was no carry out. So there is some to love about the G Spot.

Seriously? Take a moment to think about what you're asking for here. Until Sanders promoted pressure-fried chicken in the early '60s, fried chicken to-order incurred a 25 minute wait, which made it a luxury item both for the diner and the restaurant. Busy service is precisely what is required to speculatively fry up a batch ahead of incoming orders, otherwise it's fry-and-hold. Nobody's going to throw out freshly fried chicken just because no diners walked in the door in the 5 minutes since it came ready.

Listen, I do just that. I speculatively fry 30 pieces of chicken and it is often not enough and then there is a wait. I have gotten pretty good at predicting. But I do get over zealous and fry to much. But I am a professional the staff eats whats left for dinner (they are all fat now) and what I can't cram down their pie holes, I have a guy in the prep kitchen that skins it, pulls it off the bone and it goes in the pot pie. Ha ha.

Okay that's it for me. Gotta go back to work. See you guys next month or so.

I've had the fried chicken and also thought the skin was soggy and a little bland for my taste. I wouldn't mind waiting the 20 minutes, I can always start with something else.

A ray of hope. I see sunshine behind the cloud. Maybe if word gets out that my chicken is soggy and bland, I can stop selling 1300 pieces a week.

I've had the fried chicken and also thought the skin was soggy and a little bland for my taste. I wouldn't mind waiting the 20 minutes, I can always start with something else.

You forgot to add "thin." :lol:

A ray of hope. I see sunshine behind the cloud. Maybe if word gets out that my chicken is soggy and bland, I can stop selling 1300 pieces a week.

Although I have to say, this response is brilliant. :D

Chef Clark,

I apologize if I was incorrect in my statement. It was presumptuous of me to assume that I know what goes on in your kitchen, rather than you. I should have written previously about what I had seen only, as opposed to trying to connect dots that I could not see. If you do fire chicken to order, then of course I do believe you, as I have much respect for your well-known intolerance for mickey-mouse bs. So again I apologize. And to the other poster, yes I realize what I was (outrageously?) asking; to have fresh out of the fryer chicken might seem ridiculous,but I suppose that I expected it more so because of the hour and that there were only a few other patrons in the store.

According to Chef, GSpot will be on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives tonight at 10.

Which sucks, because now we won't be able to get near the G-SPOT for brunch! (Although, of course, we are always happy to see our beloved chefs achieve fame and recognition for that which they do so well.)

According to today's email, they're closed this Thursday & Friday:

[quote name='The General Store email' date='09 NOV 2010'

]-----Original Message-----

To: thegnrlstore

Sent: Tue, Nov 9, 2010 3:44 pm

Subject: Closed Thursday and Friday

Howdy Folks,

This Sunday's Dinner will be Veal Manicotti with Crimini/Parmesan Cream Sauce.

We have a special event coming up Thursday and Friday so please note we will be closed those two days.

See you soon,

Chef & Robin

The General Store

6 Post Office Road

Silver Spring, MD 20910

301/562-8787

www.grabarootngrowl.com

www.myspace.com/thebluebuilding

www.facebook.com/thebluebuilding

www.twitter.com/6PostOffice

Brilliant: Fried chicken. Still one of the gold standards for fried chicken.

Very good: Cheese steak, Fish tacos, Turkey burger, Lemon Chess pie

Good: Chocolate pecan pie

Just ok: Ham & Gruyere turnover (pastry to ham/cheese ratio too high), Hushpuppies (not much flavor), Chocolate Chess pie (just didn't like)

Lunch with soft drinks, tax, & tip less than $20/person.

Nope, that was me. There are a bunch of dr faces throughout the episode.

I missed some of the beginning of the show, but I saw you, Hillvalley, and RKDuggins, ol' ironstomach and a woman I recognize from picnics whose name I can't recall. Who else was there? Was everyone there invited by Gillian?

Was everyone there invited by Gillian?

Chef sent out an invitation to people asking them to come and bring others to the taping. Most of the crowd was not from the board but friends of the Chef and Robin. I'll let others who were on the show identify themselves if they want to.

For the record I really didn't like Flay's fried chicken; the skin wasn't crispy and the chicken didn't have as much flavor as Chef's. It was fun though to watch him get flustered when his oil was screwed up although he did handle it well in the end. Although I am not a fan of his I will admit that he was great with those who flocked to him after the taping was finished and stood for photos with those who asked.

Headline: Chef Clark, Robin and the staff of the General Store all kick some serious butt (in the best of ways).

Though totally late to this party and thus deserving of scorn, I have to belatedly go on record as a big fan of the g-spot.

I'm not sure why I didn't make it here sooner. We live close by. No excuses--no good ones anyway. But, after watching Chef Clark on seemingly every food network show :) and reading much of the coverage related to customer videos, incidents, rudeness and whatever else, I finally had to make the pilgrimage and see and taste for myself. Have now done that 4 times in the past month so it's now time to write.

We went first for a Sunday dinner so no chicken option but....excellent food. I've spent some time on the Gulf Coast and the catfish I had here was as good as any I had there.

Then made it back several days later for the first try of the Flay-conquering, Fieri-impressing and buzz-generating chicken. Loved it. Flavorful, moist and generously portioned (3 pieces). I know some have felt the chicken wasn't sufficiently crispy (my paraphrase) and I guess that is a matter of taste. But, when I think back to crispier fried chicken I've had, none had the flavor or richness of the chicken at General Store. Clearly the overnight bath in garlic infused buttermilk helps a bit here :) . And, I have to think it very unusual that any restaurant would make such a large quantity of fried chicken every week....all to order a batch at a time.

I have a high bar for mac & cheese and Chef Clark's m&c clears it easily. When it first arrived at our table, it looked like it might be heavy and dense but it wasn't at all. Rather, the g-spot mac and cheese was light, cheesy, crispy, and one of the best in the area that I've had. It's a different style from Birch & Barley or Central (two local faves) but, whatever kind of cheese, crispy elements and technique were employed, it was very, very good in the simple, soulful way intended. Oh, and those tangy and savory collard greens! My SO LOVES these best of all the sides we've tried.

Finally, contrary to the various controversies about which I've read, everyone at g-spot has been nothing short of nice, welcoming and efficient in each of our visits.

Clearly this is a chef with strong points of view but she totally backs it up with authenticity, flavor, quality and value. I love how Gillian Clark operates as much as what she cooks. How cool that, though she has become a bit of a celebrity, she's also at the restaurant cooking seemingly all the freakin' time putting out that fantastic chicken, sides (and likely many other things I haven't yet tried). Give me a strong opinion over boring any time.

Two thumbs up; for both the food on offer at g-spot and for all the folks who make it possible day after day.

Closed.

It's apparently a tax problem according to the landlords, so no real cause for schadenfreude on the part of those who think less of the proprietors. Always sad to see a business close, even if it's not one that I was wont to frequent.

Geez--just "discovered" g-spot a couple of months ago and have gone 5 or 6 times since then.

The facebook page says the store "is closed" and further that it's because "The landlord has not paid his back taxes and the county is taking back the building. " Further, a message at the main phone says only that the GnrlStore "will be closed Tuesday and Wednesday due to unforeseen circumstances" and "check back for more information."

All in, hard to tell whether it's closed now or at some point in the near future. Also, not totally clear the new building owner (aka the county) would want g-spot out? Need to learn more.

Geez--just "discovered" g-spot a couple of months ago and have gone 5 or 6 times since then.

The facebook page says the store "is closed" and further that it's because "The landlord has not paid his back taxes and the county is taking back the building. " Further, a message at the main phone says only that the GnrlStore "will be closed Tuesday and Wednesday due to unforeseen circumstances" and "check back for more information."

All in, hard to tell whether it's closed now or at some point in the near future. Also, not totally clear the new building owner (aka the county) would want g-spot out? Need to learn more.

If you go to the WaPo story (the link) they real story is far more complicated than what you get on the fb page and even then I don't think you're getting the entire story. It's bizarre (like apparently almost everything associated with this place).

If you go to the WaPo story (the link) they real story is far more complicated than what you get on the fb page and even then I don't think you're getting the entire story. It's bizarre (like apparently almost everything associated with this place).

You're not kidding--definitely more complicated and clearly not the full telling. Sigh--it'd be great to just get more candor from key stakeholders (whether landlords, lien holders, or renters/operators) in cases like this and others I won't re-name that have preceded this. We all make mistakes. How refreshing it'd be if folks serving the public, human like the rest of us, would just 1) own up to (aka communicate openly and apologetically if appropriate) mistakes when made and 2) learn from them so they're not repeated. Unrealistic I guess.

Really a shame--Chef Clark is such a great talent but the dining public doesn't get to experience her food very much or for extended periods of time. Hopefully the next place on K St or wherever, whenever it opens, will stay open longer. These operators have both the brand and the skills to be hugely successful over the longer haul. I'd love to see the next spot offer the general store fried chicken, the colorado kitchen brunch and stay in business for at least 5-7 years. Now that'd be something! :)

The other side of the story...

Spiro is a bully and uses the courts to get his way. He has never wanted to work with us throughout this ordeal.

Yes, only a bully would go to court to get a judgment to collect back rent, I am only shocked that she did not fall back to her favorite canard and call him a racist.

The other side of the story...

Yes, only a bully would go to court to get a judgment to collect back rent, I am only shocked that she did not fall back to her favorite canard and call him a racist.

There are still more sides to this story and I believe it's not fair to judge based on the facts that have been released at this time.

Actually in these hard economic times, many tenants have tried successfully and unsuccessfully, to renegotiate leases. We did at my work, but would not rest until we had our agreement in writing as an amendment to our current lease. Many others "trust" what they are told, or don't get it in writing. Many leases have clauses that say if one is in arrears, the lessee can be liable to pay the entire amount of the lease upon notice. And yes, I believe it would take a bully to take this to court for $5,000 and ask for 160k. I find it hard to believe there was no way to mediate this.

There are still more sides to this story and I believe it's not fair to judge based on the facts that have been released at this time.

Seems as if the court heard all of the sides and did not take "chef's" or whatever I am supposed to call her.

Seems as if the court heard all of the sides and did not take "chef's" or whatever I am supposed to call her.

Courts don't take sides, they abide by "legal documents." If the agreement was not put in writing, or not amended to the lease, then the court would have to rule in favor of the lessor. Again, why go after 160K if you only need 5k? I'm just hypothesizing here, and giving another possible side to the story. I think a lot of gray area remains to be exposed to be able to make any personal judgment (for me--you are welcome to jump to as many conclusions as you wish.)

Again, why go after 160K if you only need 5k?

The article states he owes $11,400 in back taxes for 2009 and 2010. It has nothing to do with any rent he is (rightfully or unrightfully) owed. The 160K is for back rent, late fees and attorneys fees.

The article states he owes $11,400 in back taxes for 2009 and 2010. It has nothing to do with any rent he is (rightfully or unrightfully) owed. The 160K is for back rent, late fees and attorneys fees.

I didn't make myself very clear, obviously. I am hypothesizing under the assumption that an agreement was made to receive rent on a weekly basis and then the rent was not truly in arrears based on the arrangement made. It appeared that the landlord said he couldn't pay the tax amount, which as quoted above says $11,400.00*. Originally that amount was closer to $5k and then penalties and interest added on to it. So at that time, a mediator could be brought in, or even negotiation directly to avoid incurring court costs that would increase an amount due to $160k.

Because if you make the tough decision to go to court, you sue for the full amount you are owed, not just what you may need at the moment.

But if the decision was instead to negotiate to get the amount needed, or come up with a different arrangement, the manner in which that is done might get better results instead of making that "tough" decision to go to court. That's the point I was making by illustrating the large difference between 5k and 160k. And even at 11k, that's a lot smaller amount to try mediate than litigation.

*This article has been continually updated on the website and each time I have accessed it there is new and/or different information. We many never know the real story.

**I often wonder how Mrs. K's has stayed open all these years. I've lived in Silver Spring for most of my life and managed to never go there myself!

From the article - "Clark said she can’t pay the landlord the money owed, then added via e-mail, 'Everyone gets behind in their rent or asks the landlord to accept less for a while. That’s how we all survive in slow times and how we both coexist to make money. Spiro is a bully and uses the courts to get his way. He has never wanted to work with us throughout this ordeal.'"

Really? Who else here doesn't pay their rent?