Second Anniversary Celebration

xcanuck

A number of people had chimed in that a Happy Hour at Restaurant Kolumbia would be a great idea and this comes together nicely with the idea of a 2nd anniversary celebration.

So, while details are a little sketchy at the moment, I'd like to propose that we have a Happy Hour next Friday, April 13th (sorry to any with paraskevidekatriaphobia!!) at Restaurant Kolumbia. Carolyn has offered us the use of the back bar (where else to hide a birthday boy celebrating the terrible twos??) and I'm sure we can work out a few chef's specials to commemorate the day.

We're still at first base with the details, but I'm sure we'll be all set for a bases clearing home run within a few days (oh, lord....baseball metaphors... :blink: )

Hi everyone - Here are the details for Friday's 2nd anniversary celebration. Please respond if you think you'll be attending, and also indicate if you think you might stay for dinner afterwards.

Restaurant Kolumbia will offer (free!!) Jamie's famous venison pepperoni and fresh kielbasa to whet our appetites. They will also offer three of their drinks: The Melbourne Cup, the Bellini Martini, and the Old Fashioned for $7 and the Domaine Martinolles Cremant for $8. The regular happy hour includes $5 wines and $4 draft (including Hook and Ladder). Thanks again to Jamie and Carolyn for their generosity!

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY DON ROCKS!

PRIX FIXE DINNER - $35/PERSON

Appetizer

Beef Borscht

Classic Beet and Beef Soup with Crème Fraiche

Breakfast At Dinner

Spinach Grapefruit Salad with Poached Egg, Bacon

Chilled Jumbo Asparagus

Blue Cheese Dressing with Pumpernickel Croutons

Rock and Roll

Tempura Rock Shrimp, Crispy Calamari, Asian Daikon Slaw,

Shallot Remoulade

Main Course

Truffled Celery Root Pierogi,

Brown Butter and Raisin Sauce

Baked Blue Crab Cake

Blended with Scallop Mousse, Creole Sauce,

Homemade Potato Chips

Barbeque Atlantic Salmon , Sorrel Mustard Cream

Lemon Confit, Fennel,Roasted Radishes

Prociutto Veiled Alaskan Halibut

Orange Hollandaise with Asparagus and Potato “Log Cabin”

Slow Roasted Half Chicken “Kiev”

With Garlic Potato Puree and Tarragon Peas

Sliced Moulard Duck

Wheatberry Waffle,Maple Demi

Slow Cook Veal Breast

Sweetbreads and Exotic Mushrooms Farce over Truffle Lentil Ragout

Dessert

Molten Chocolate Cake

Trio of Sorbets

Orange Almond Tart

Roughly, when is the happy hour time vs. the dinner time? My husband might be up for doing the dinner. I'd be interested in showing up during HH and waiting for him :blink: .
Heather is right - Happy hour basically starts at 5:30, when RK opens their doors. Feel free to hang around and chat, drink, nibble, etc. There isn't a set time for dinner. Carolyn and Jamie have created a special dinner menu for us but we can enjoy at our leisure.

By the way, there isn't really a need to RSVP on the board for either the happy hour, dinner, and/or both. By all means, feel free to drop by/stick around on a whim.

Hi everyone - Here are the details for Friday's 2nd anniversary celebration. Please respond if you think you'll be attending, and also indicate if you think you might stay for dinner afterwards.
By the way, there isn't really a need to RSVP on the board for either the happy hour, dinner, and/or both. By all means, feel free to drop by/stick around on a whim.

Ok. We were just doing what you originally stated. :blink:

Hrmmmm.....quorum for a euchre game. Maybe we can get a table in waaaaay in the back. :blink:
Well only Robyn and I will know how to play euchre- but you and yours both know so that could be 4- the other 2 I'm bringing don't know euchre from a hole in the ground... or their soda from their pop as a midwesterner might say.

Don't forget tomorrow's Happy Hour at Restaurant Kolumbia. We'd especially to love to see new board members there!!

RK is located at 1801 K St NW, one block away from the Farragut North (red line) and Farragut West (orange and blue lines) metro stations.

Doors open at 5:30pm and everyone is welcome to stick around for dinner. Look up thread for the great 3 course fixed price dinner menu - only $35.

For people looking for a place to park, PMI has several lots nearby (look for locations near Farragut Sq).

- PMI lot, 1820 L St

- PMI lot, 1150 17th St NW (one block north of K St)

- PMI lot, 1725 Desales St NW (Desales runs east/west, between L and M St, and between Connecticut and 17th St).

Or better still, take the metro and stay awhile :blink:

See everyone there.

How long does HH usually last. I've never been to a DR event, how will i know anyone and will you all be friendly.
It lasts as long as you want to stay. :blink: You'll probably recognize the group (lots of friendly people with wine glasses talking about food), but just in case, click on my name and view my profile. I resemble my personal photo very closely.

How long does HH usually last. I've never been to a DR event, how will i know anyone and will you all be friendly.

You can also ask the hostess when you arrive. Anytime we do an event that is planned like this the hostess and usually the bartender know who we are. As for being friendly, it would be hard to find a friendlier group. We are a rare breed that doesn't care who you work for or what you believe in as long as you enjoy good food and wine.

If anyone isn't friendly Don owes you a drink :blink:

I look an awful like my avatar photo, too (more's the shame). Introduce yourself and I'll buy you a drink!

I'd be really surprised if people weren't milling about the bar for at least a couple of hours, especially with Jamie serving up some complimentary servings of his famous charcouterie. Hope to see you there tonite.

Greetings- Sorry I have just now gotten to this but:

We will do the regular happy hour: draft beer, wine, rail drinks as usual until 7 but will extend the other special drinkies for the duration.

Melbourne Cup $7

Belini Martini $7

Old Fashioned $7

Cremant. $8

The prixfixe is for the entire evening as well. See you soon- thanks!

Carolyn

Was it good for you?

It was great. Thanks to everyone for welcoming me and making me feel at home. It is going to take me a while to match names, faces and personas, especially after a few glasses of wine.

Kolumbia was a really nice place for happy hour, now on my list to go back both for lunch as well as dinner with my better half. I'm very interested in getting together for lunch there soon, when my new jobs lets me out of the building.

House made Pepperoni and kielbosa were excellent and from what Fermenteverything told me the beer selection was good.

Oh-I also met Don Rockwell.

:blink:

It was great. Thanks to everyone for welcoming me and making me feel at home. It is going to take me a while to match names, faces and personas, especially after a few glasses of wine.

Kolumbia was a really nice place for happy hour, now on my list to go back both for lunch as well as dinner with my better half. I'm very interested in getting together for lunch there soon, when my new jobs lets me out of the building.

House made Pepperoni and kielbosa were excellent and from what Fermenteverything told me the beer selection was good.

Oh-I also met Don Rockwell.

:blink:

You can't make the Johnny Monis eyes at Don ;)

Thanks to Amit for organizing this all- a great time was had by my crew.

It was nice meeting you and other people I hadn't met before and seeing other people again. I'll never win any prizes for name/face recognition, though. I know I managed to call a couple of people by the wrong names last night. I hope it was only a couple ;) . Unfortunately, once I mismatch names, it's even harder for me to get them straight in the future. Somehow age doesn't seem to be helping that :blink: .

The kielbasa and pepperoni were wonderful. It was quite impressive how quickly it all disappeared. There wasn't much left by the time my husband arrived, and he was famished. I hope we didn't seem antisocial by asking for a table and getting started on the meal. I was really needing something else to absorb alcohol by that point too. The food was great. I had some duck leftover, which will be nice made into something else today.

Thanks to everyone who made the evening possible.

A big thanks to Jamie and Carolyn and their staff for hosting our 2nd anniversary party last night, and to Amit for the planning. It was a nice big gathering of new, not-so-new and not-at-all-new Rockheads. The kielbasa and saucisson at the bar were spectacular and those of us who stayed for dinner had a very nice time too.

It was a very nice evening! Thanks Amit, Jamie and Caroline. I only met one new person, but it was nice to see so many of the dinosaurs there also. Oh and a big thank you to Don, for starting this board, I have met some very nice people through it, including of course you!

I rarely am able to get to HHs or whims or Tuesdays, but I could not miss an anniversary celebration like this one. It was a rare "get your own damn dinner" night for my family, but they seem to have survived, albeit without eating any vegetables.

It was great fun to connect with on-line friends, and share a dinner table with crackers, Martin, Raisa, Robert and a few others who dropped by to shmooze. The big treat of the evening for me was, after two years here and who-knows-how-long before that on e-gullet-- I finally got to meet Don Rockwell!

The elusive and illustrious DR did not disappoint. Of course, now I have to replace the DR of my visual imaginings with the suave and soigne´ bon vivant I encountered. The real one is slimmer, better looking, and has more hair... Seriously, Don, it really was nice to have a drink with you last night.

Many many many thanks to everyone that showed up last night for happy hour (and dinner). I think we all had a great time, thanks to the efforts of Jamie, Carolyn, and the entire staff at Restaurant Kolumbia.

It was so nice to see many board members. I think we counted about 30 members total during the night. Personally, I had a blast. Perhaps too much of one (yes, a little foggy minded when I woke this morning).

And it was special to finally meet Mr Rockwell himself. Very gracious, polite, soft-spoken and quite handsome (according to the ladies in my group).

A hint of things to come....for those impressed with Jamie's charcuterie (and who wouldn't be??), we can expect a charcuterie class sometime in the near future. Details will be coming!

Thanks again, everyone, for making it such a fun night.