Time-Life Foods of the World

babka

Idle Time, on 18th street, has several of the Time-Life Foods of the World sets. $9.50 for each boxed set of two. I snatched MFK Fisher's Provincial France, but Italy, China, and Latin America are still begging for homes....

Idle Time, on 18th street, has several of the Time-Life Foods of the World sets. $9.50 for each boxed set of two. I snatched MFK Fisher's Provincial France, but Italy, China, and Latin America are still begging for homes....

An alternative, if anyone is really interested in acquiring some, is eBay. They often can be had fairly cheaply. I also used to find them in those charity book sales around town, like the Goodwill Book Sale, but I don't know if they still have those or not, now that we are in the eBay era.

Another alternative is to look on bookfinder.com. You can find just about any book there. A wonderful resource. There are hundreds of "Foods of the World" volumes available.

Oh, and by the way, as much as I like this series of cookbooks, my god they have crappy indexes. The recipes are indexed only by recipe title within category. What an idiotic idea.

Another alternative is to look on bookfinder.com. You can find just about any book there. A wonderful resource. There are hundreds of "Foods of the World" volumes available.

Oh, and by the way, as much as I like this series of cookbooks, my god they have crappy indexes. The recipes are indexed only by recipe title within category. What an idiotic idea.

IMO that's not really a problem. You're referring to the individual volume indexes, but since there are only 100 or so recipes in each volume it's not hard to find what's there. The "Menu Guide and Recipe Index" to the whole series is much more detailed, giving references to recipes in the entire series indexed by major and secondary ingredient and by type of preparation (e.g., the headings under "D" start with dates, deserts, desert sauces, dill, dough, (hmmm), doughnuts, drinks (alcoholic),.....and so it goes. As an example of the detail, under "F" one will find three specific recipes under the "fiddlehead" heading. There's nearly a page of recipes (about 150) under "sauce," including five for hollandaise.

If one has more than 3 or 4 of the individual volumes a copy of the general index is probably a good thing to have.

IMO that's not really a problem. You're referring to the individual volume indexes, but since there are only 100 or so recipes in each volume it's not hard to find what's there. The "Menu Guide and Recipe Index" to the whole series is much more detailed, giving references to recipes in the entire series indexed by major and secondary ingredient and by type of preparation (e.g., the headings under "D" start with dates, deserts, desert sauces, dill, dough, (hmmm), doughnuts, drinks (alcoholic),.....and so it goes. As an example of the detail, under "F" one will find three specific recipes under the "fiddlehead" heading. There's nearly a page of recipes (about 150) under "sauce," including five for hollandaise.

If one has more than 3 or 4 of the individual volumes a copy of the general index is probably a good thing to have.

Interesting, thanks. I realize it's not all that hard to find a recipe by scanning through the index, but that's not how indexes are supposed to work. That's more like a table of contents, except not in page order. But the "Menu Guide and Recipe Index" sounds great. I didn't know it existed. I have seven or eight of the volumes, so I guess I'll go back to bookfinder.com and look for the general index. Now if only there were a cumulative index to all of Julia Childs's books....