What Are You Eating Right Now?

Heather

On a windy and chilly day, with no food in the house, I decided to go back to comfort food from waaay back. I boiled two eggs and cooked up a cup of rice in the rice cooker. I mashed the cooked eggs into the rice with ghee, mustard oil, chopped green chilis, and salt. It's an old Indian standard for a simple home cooked meal. Quick, tasty, and filling.

So yesterday was the slowest weekday on the website since July 4th, and today it's nutso busy again.

Glad to see you guys have regained your appetite after stuffing yourselves with Mallo Cups.

Cheers,

Glenn Ghoul

And apparently, I am the only one who admitted to it! :)

Just finished up eating lamb loin chops using the recipe in today Food Section. I went to find a rack of lamb and, of course, my local Safeway didn't HAVE any. Since I already had the Grade B maple syrup (Thank You, Trader Joe's), I figured it would work with the chops. It did.

Chicken Broth, tea, and jello. The fever's come down a little but still no appetite. :)
I hope you're feeling better. For any kind of respiratory flu, I like hot and sour soup (and have been known to make my husband go out of his way to pick some up :) ). It seems to spur my appetite when I don't have one, and the heat opens my sinuses.

I'm going to reheat some vegetable soup for me soon, and my husband gets the leftovers from last night's meal at Bebo.

Since somebody asked... here's how I made the pumpkin blintzes.

First, make crepes and set them aside. (I use a Julia Child recipe, but a crepe is crepe, pretty much.)

Second, in a bowl combine fresh ricotta cheese (the soft kind), pumpkin from a can, confectioner's sugar to taste, a pinch or two of salt, and any other flavorings you like in sweet pumpkin things, like cinnamon and ginger and Jack Daniels. Mix well.

Amounts? I dunno. I kept adding and tasting until it tasted right. About equal volumes pumpkin and ricotta. I think.

Add a good heaping spoonful of filling to a crepe, and fold one side over, then the two adjoining sides, then the last side, so you have a tidy little leakproof envelope.

Fry gently in butter until lightly browned, flip, and brown the other side.

Serve with maple syrup.

popcorn, the old-fashioned bad-for-you way: popped on the stove in oil and mixed with melted butter and salt. The last time I did this was near the beginning of the year, when I had a craving and went out and bought the corn. Before that, it had probably been a couple of decades. I've been having the craving again. I ate half and am putting the rest in a ziplock for my husband after he gets home from work...unless I eat it first :P

Peter Chang's cooking, for the first time. Nearly 700 miles away, but finally I understand. The most accomplished Chinese cooking I've had within US borders, including at the embassy (although not recently during his tenure), and he's cranking it out with lightning speed at a strip mall location in Georgia, where the Changs are finally business partners. Incroyable.