What Are You Eating Right Now?

Heather

To say goodbye to 2006, I whipped up the Pan-Roasted Tournedos with Wild Mushrooms and Pepper Sauce (it's pimped-up Steak Diane) printed in the 12/27/06 WaPo (recipe from Tood Gray at Equinox). As a side, I made my take on Bittman's Roasted Brussell Sprouts with Garlic that was printed in the Minimalist column in the NYTimes awhile back (I can provide this if necessary since you have to pay to access it). A bottle of 2005 Bigfoot was consumed prior to prep and a dinner bottle of 2006 Stone Old Gaurdian enjoyed during cooking and with dinner (yay Viking gene!!!). Her indoors (i.e. my wife) had 2003 Testal with dinner, whilst I had the barleywine. I can see both working with the meal, but I gotta say the beer won. The pepper in the sauce matched so well with the brashy hoppy bitterness compared to the oak and peper in the wine. Granted the beer is from a world class brewery and the wine was an impulse purchase at Whole Foods (plus, I doubt the vintner's status in the wineworld (good robust red table wine, though)), but still. Add another to Garrett Oliver's win column.

For dessert, we had some Kahlua truffle barlike thingies my stepsister-in-law and her muy guapo hombre made. A dram of Dow's 10 Year Tawny Port was enjoyed along with, mostly because I didn't feel like finishing off the majority of a bomber of Stone's Imperial Stout all by myself (her indoors gets drink off of 1 drink (damn you, reverse of the Viking gene!!)).

I've been working from home a lot more recently. Lunch usually consists of ramen noodles (I don't know why I've suddenly developed a craving for the stuff), english muffin with cheese or PB&J, or apples & cheese. All very quick, minimal effort foods. For the work-at-home crew: what's in your lunchbox?

...All very quick, minimal effort foods. For the work-at-home crew: what's in your lunchbox?

Similarly low-effort: when I work from home, I'm all about throwing a sandwich on the foreman grill. Usually some sort of decent cheese with basic cold cut and mustard. Occasionally I'll get more fancy, but generally it's the basics when I'm actually trying to do work.

The item at the bottom of this page is what I have. I had a kilo, but I've gone through about 1/2 of it in the last week. We also scored some excellent EVOO.

That's some great Engrish on that page, even if it's technically from the wrong part of the world!

"The organolectic values are a fundamental requisite of the nutritive quality of our products, in great part binded to the selection of the natural ingredients, the handwork and in special way to the drying of our products, thanks to the exclusive microclimate in this part of the Nebrodi (Sicily)."

And anyone who uses autochthon in a sentence gets a thumbs up from me. :P

Trader Joe's freeze-dried, unsweetened & unsulfured mango. Not quite sure about them -- I think I like the regular-dried (semi-dried?) mango better. Yesterday, I also tried TJ's new toasted and lightly salted freeze-dried apple slices. Not quite sure about those either, but I did somehow manage to finish the whole bag.

Tonight is a fab tot night. I tickled them with some oilve oil and they cooked better than ever (no overbrowning). Mmmm. Heinz. salt, television, wine. The life!
Hmmmm, I might have to try this. So, you just drizzle olive oil over and bake as usual?

"The organolectic values are a fundamental requisite of the nutritive quality of our products, in great part binded to the selection of the natural ingredients, the handwork and in special way to the drying of our products, thanks to the exclusive microclimate in this part of the Nebrodi (Sicily)."

And anyone who uses autochthon in a sentence gets a thumbs up from me. :o

"The autochthons of Washington, D.C. were pond scum."

Before there was the internet, there were Italian notebooks. I have one with a retro image of a young woman in a tight sweater wearing a pencil skirt, bobby socks and holding a bowling ball in one hand as she looks over shoulder, coyly, at you. The text reads:

NEW AMERICAN SYSTEM GET the FACTS! There's a new way of living your school time: it's American System. It's just like you: young, alive and colourful. Smart Move

On topic: cube of crystallized ginger.

To counter the 40 degree weather (I thought this was f*@& Florida!), I have a tomato basil soup simmering and will add to that a smoked mozzarella grilled cheese. Don't get too excited, a friend came in from Tampa with the mozzarella. That's right, I have resorted to giving friends shopping lists.

Roast beef sandwich (home-roasted beef, dubliner cheddar, homemade mustard), twice-fried frites in my new deep fryer, cut with my new Borner v-slicer. Kitchen gadgets are great when they yield stuff this good.

ETA: I love working from home.