CSA Challenge

legant

Other than grilling, how do you cook your corn?

It has been a long time since I served corn "on the cob"--the differences now start with when I cut the kernels off the cob--before or after cooking. Everyone loves creamed corn, which is scraped and shredded corn that's cooked with a little butter, salt and sugar. If it gets too thick, I'll add a little bit of milk or cream, if I have it. A corn salad that I really like is cut off the cob after boiling, and tossed with cooked barley, olive oil, lime juice, lime zest and cilantro. Another corn salad that starts the same way, with kernels cut off the cobs after boiling, is corn and unsweetened coconut, which goes really well with Indian food.

Zora, you have created a monster.

Bwaaahaaa! My little pretty! Now you will bend to my will, and follow my every command! Bwaaahaaa!

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

After 16 weeks, I have finally gotten the hang of this thing: CSA veggies should be used to complement a meal, not make the meal.

Tonight's dinner: string beans stir-fried with shitake, button and portabella mushrooms

Sunday dinner: Moussaka (eggplant, oregano and parsley)

Monday lunch: goat cheese, beet and spinach sandwich

After 16 weeks, I have finally gotten the hang of this thing: CSA veggies should be used to complement a meal, not make the meal.

Tonight's dinner: string beans stir-fried with shitake, button and portabella mushrooms

Sunday dinner: Moussaka (eggplant, oregano and parsley)

Monday lunch: goat cheese, beet and spinach sandwich

Sounds great!

Tonight I'm going to try a beet carpaccio, and sweet potatoes from the CSA, along with rapini from the Falls Church farmers market and a Wellshire Farms ham.

Not really in a CSA basket, but a dilemma nonetheless: I have tons of sage. I've done the brown butter sage thingy for pasta, sage pesto, and sage w/ (fried and mashed) potatoes. An internet search yields lots of turkey/sage and pork/sage recipes but nothing is inspiring me. Suggestions?

Not really in a CSA basket, but a dilemma nonetheless: I have tons of sage. I've done the brown butter sage thingy for pasta, sage pesto, and sage w/ (fried and mashed) potatoes. An internet search yields lots of turkey/sage and pork/sage recipes but nothing is inspiring me. Suggestions?

One of my favorites, especially in summer, wonderful beside a thick veal chop from a humanely-raised, poor little baby animal--though a glass of light, sparkling chilled wine will do:

Italian appetizer. (Other cultures don't use batter. Tsk.)

Even simpler, also an app, from Loomis (French), though you have to plan ahead: Feta & Prosciutto Wraps.

Judy Rodgers of Zuni Café loves sage, so her cookbook has lots of suggestions for use. Try googling w her name; hope this post helps. (You can dry the herb, too.)

I gave up, cut the plant back, and fed the cuttings through the leaf shredder.

Saltimbocca. Veal, pork, chicken.

The sage/butter thing is delicious over gnocchi.

Squash.