A friend of mine was at Linden this weekend and was told they are so overrun with visitors that starting in 2008, in order to visit at all, you have to buy a case of wine per year.
I'm glad they're doing so well. I haven't been there in several years but used to be able to find a couple of their wines fairly easily in stores. I'm sure I bought their wine at Giant. I haven't seen any on store shelves in recent months at all. Am I looking in the wrong places, or is not as easily acquired retail as it once was?

I'd been thinking of a trip down there next month. Maybe I'll pursue that idea and stock up.

We've just moved to the area within the last several weeks, and have been slowly but surely working our way through the wineries in the Northern Virginia area. We've still got about a dozen left on the list, but we've been really surprised by what we've found so far.

We've always made a habit of stocking the cellar with local wines, whenever possible. Even in Ohio, Georgia, and Nebraska, we've been able to find wines we'd be happy to serve guests. OK, in Nebraska we actually went across the river into Iowa or stopped in Missouri when we went to visit our son. But at least the wine was regional.

We've also made a point of finding local wineries wherever we've traveled across the US. We've sampled wines in several areas of California, New Mexico, Nebraska, Iowa, Missouri, Indiana, New York, Tennessee, Georgia, and Florida. And, of course, Virginia.

In my opinion, Virginia wines are among the best being made anywhere in the US. There are several things which have become quite apparent as we've tasted our way around Virginia.

Merlot grapes really, really like Virginia. Most merlots are rather insipid and bland, good for washing down pizza but not good enough to star on its own. Not here. I've not had a bad merlot in Virginia. One was a little on the bland side, but most are nice hearty wines full of rich berry flavor. In an incredible stroke of genius, the vinter at Fabbioli Cellars outside Leesburg has blended his merlot with raspberry wine. The resulting dessert wine is incredible. He does the usual trick with chocolate in his tastings, but his wine just explodes with flavor when tasted with the chocolate. Very nearly a religious experience.

Viogner wines in Virginia are excellent. Although we've run across one or two wineries that put their viogner in oak, most of them just let the wonderful character of the grape shine. While most of the viogners we've tried (and bought) are quite dry, the natural floral qualities of the grape are really apparent. It's like drinking a glass of honeysuckle.

Our favorites so far? In no particular order, here are the wineries that are currently represented in our cellar:

Fabbioli

Three Fox

Pearmund

Sharp Rocks

Village

Naked Mountain

Rappahanock

"Most merlots are rather insipid and bland, good for washing down pizza but not good enough to star on its own." That is one bold statment. I have not found a VA wine that is worth buying in anytype of quanity. I to beleive in shoping local and have explored local wineries. It was not for the lack of trying.

Here are a few suggestions that may change your mind in my opinion about Merlots

Clarendon Hills-clarendon brookman- 2005

Houge- Merlot Columbia Valley Reserve 2003

Shafer Merlot Napa Valley -2004, (I am a big Shafer Fan)

It's hard to express not-particularly-rocky clay. And there's a lot of clay in Virginia. Even the non-clay soils are young and not particularly cut. And humidity is an issue, leading to a lot of gray rot. And I haven't met anyone who does strict enough selection at veraison and harvest, combined with good encepagement, to make focused, expressive wines. But a few are at least decent drops.

Bottle storage may also be an issue for some producers.

Probaly the best person to bat with Veraison and crop thinning is Barboursville, with their Nebbiolo, and the Octagon varietals.

Or, Linden's Jim Law. He is pretty well versed on quality control. Or Pearmund Cellars.. Shaps was doing great, but has gotten sidetracked with the Burgundy project

I have not found a VA wine that is worth buying in anytype of quanity.

That is too bad, because there are some very good wines to be found in Virginia, particularly from around Charlottesville. The real problems with Virginia's wines are (1) most of the good ones are not availble widely in the DC area, and (2) these wines are, at least, $5 to $10 overpriced, (3) there are a lot of mediocre wines out there, and they cost as much as the good ones, and (4) there are still a few wineries turning out some god-awful stuff (though, thankfully, these are now very much the exception).

Until some distributor decides to locate, "import," and champion the worthy Virginia wines, my suggestion to all would be a tasting trip to Charlottesville to hit some of the less obvious producers. King Family, in Crozet, is one of my personal favorites. In addition to some good wines (I particularly liked the "Michael Shaps" Viognier and "Crose" Rose on my last visit), it is one of the most beautiful places I've been. My wife and I enjoyed some wine, cheese, and a polo match there this September. After that experience, I have no problems occasionally paying $25 for a bottle of their Viognier, even if it is probably worth only $15.

Quick note from our trip to some wineries yesterday:

Breaux Vineyards

Nice and full body wines, the reds were surprisingly good, especially the 2002 Merlot. Breaux reminded us of Californian wineries in appearance of the lot and tasting building in light brown, almost Tuscan colors. It was too bad that the tasting glasses were so small and the prices fairly steep. A glass of the Merlot was served in the same small glass and came to be $9.

Corcoran Vineyards

Very small and very charming. Six wines to taste, the Viognier (Estate grown) was so good that we had to get two bottles of it ($20 ea.). We will be back!

That is too bad, because there are some very good wines to be found in Virginia, particularly from around Charlottesville. The real problems with Virginia's wines are (1) most of the good ones are not availble widely in the DC area, and (2) these wines are, at least, $5 to $10 overpriced, (3) there are a lot of mediocre wines out there, and they cost as much as the good ones, and (4) there are still a few wineries turning out some god-awful stuff (though, thankfully, these are now very much the exception).

I admit to being one to give Virginian wines the benefit of the doubt... but I agree, lots of them are overpriced and mediocre. That being said, I was surprised when this summer I visited Williamsburg Winery (of all places!), where they were featuring a back vintage (01, I think) of their Arundell Cabernet for about $14: I was amazed. It had a dead on aged claret profile: a little bit of leather, muted cassis and stones, but still possessed of healthy acidity and soft tannins without a hint of green. Definitely not one for laying down too much longer, but I have to say it gave me confidence in Virginia wine's potential for evolution. Even this overstocked, discounted back vintage of a mid range wine showed beautifully after a year in storage. Maybe this story is less useful as an endorsement of Virginian wines than a cautionary tale against judging a wine before its time.

I admit to being one to give Virginian wines the benefit of the doubt... but I agree, lots of them are overpriced and mediocre. That being said, I was surprised when this summer I visited Williamsburg Winery (of all places!), where they were featuring a back vintage (01, I think) of their Arundell Cabernet for about $14: I was amazed. It had a dead on aged claret profile: a little bit of leather, muted cassis and stones, but still possessed of healthy acidity and soft tannins without a hint of green. Definitely not one for laying down too much longer, but I have to say it gave me confidence in Virginia wine's potential for evolution. Even this overstocked, discounted back vintage of a mid range wine showed beautifully after a year in storage. Maybe this story is less useful as an endorsement of Virginian wines than a cautionary tale against judging a wine before its time.

This evening I opened a Linden '01 Claret I'd bought on closeout at MacArthur's two years ago for $19. It was gorgeous; probably could have improved for another year or so, though I'd suspect not much more. "Claret" is not Jim Law's top o' the line red, but the blend he makes from the juice that doesn't make it into his vineyard designated cuvees.

Just excellent winemaking. Excellent wine. No qualifications necessary for it being "good for Virginia." This would stand up to most Cabs in the same price range. Unfortunately I don't know what the original price was, but probably $3-5 more. The blend was 2/3 Cab Sauv, the rest Petit Verdot.

Wash Post article on Jack John Kent Cooke's new Boxwood Winery in Middleburg, Virginia.

The plan is to produce 5,000 cases a year, or 60,000 bottles, of high-end Bordeaux-style wines for sale to exclusive restaurants, hotels and well-heeled oenophiles. The bottles will retail for around $45, but could sell in restaurants for around $60, Martin said.

(edited to fix the oops :blink: )

Wash Post article on Jack Kent Cooke's new Boxwood Winery in Middleburg, Virginia.
I ventured out to Middleburg this past weekend and stopped in at the Boxwood tasting room. The Boxwood Red was ok - soft, not as green as some VA. Cab based wines, but serviceable. For $45? Eh, not so much. I should note that the first vintage is not made from estate grapes, as noted in the article. The tasting room was extremely nice, though, and featured about 15 other wines, all Bordeaux. Many of the bottlings are Derenoncourt's other projects.

We hit a few wineries in and around Rappahannock county last weekend with great success.

Pearmund Cellars was a "spur of the moment" stop as we were heading down Route 29. We enjoyed a majority of their wines. All of their wines are made with 100% of that particular varietal's grape (with the exception of the Ameritage which is a blend). We really enjoyed their Sauvignon Blanc as well as the Ameritage. They also have an Ameritage Reserve; however, the regular Ameritage was more complex and enjoyable.

Rappahannock Cellars - what terrific wines! We enjoyed all of the wines we tasted, and purchased a mixed case. Of particular note was the Chardonnay, which is fermented in stainless steel as well as the 75% Chardonnay/25% Viognier blend. I have enjoyed their Cabernet Franc in the past, and the 2005 vintage that we tasted was no exception. Since it was 95 degrees and humid outside, we wound up doing a modified tour which was quite informative. This is one winery that I would love to return to.

Gadino Cellars is a fairly young winery that is located in Washington, Virginia (behind an elementary school :lol:). Since we had time, and it was near where we were staying, we decided to give it a try. The 100% Pinot Grigio was their most enjoyable wine, with a great balance of fruit and acidity. The rest of their wines were OK and can best be described as simple, decent, easy-drinking wines. This winery is not worth going out of your way for, but not bad if you are in the area.

Not a winery, but The Epicurious Cow is a great place to grab lunch while in Rappahannock County. Highly enjoyable were the Shrimp Taco's and the ECOW Cabana (Grilled Pork Loin, Spicy Olives & Peppers, Cheddar Cheese, Green Onions).

Not a winery, but The Epicurious Cow is a great place to grab lunch while in Rappahannock County. Highly enjoyable were the Shrimp Taco's and the ECOW Cabana (Grilled Pork Loin, Spicy Olives & Peppers, Cheddar Cheese, Green Onions).

It's right before the entrance to the Shenandoah too, so it makes a great place to grab lunch (and any necessary culinary supplies) before setting up your tent.

Mark,

Wrongo Dongo. Taste the red wines from Veritas, King Family and Michael Schap. I use these wines at Citronelle to play my favorite game with wine snobs called "Vin Mystere". When I pour the "Mystery Wine", the first question I ask is: do you LIKE it? The answer is always "yes". As far as clay in the soil is concerned, Petrus sits on top of a lot of red clay and they seem to do pretty well.

A couple of weeks ago, I made an eye-opening visit to the Monticello trail, stopping at Barboursville, Horton and a newer winery in the neighborhood called Kenswick. In the past, I've enjoyed a few Virginia whites (Horton Viognier, Breaux's Seyval, some of Linden's whites), but the highest praise I had ever had for any Virginia red was "drinkable." No more. Barvoursville had several very good wines: the '06 Sangiovese, the '05 nebbiollo and, especially the '05 Octagon, Barboursville's flagship claret. These are serious wines. True, at $40 for the Octagon, there are better wine values out there, but it great to see serious wine right here in Virginia. I also love all the Jefferson propaganda. Who knew that drinking wine could be so patriotic?

When Luca Paschina of Barboursville plays the Slater game, he pours his Nebbiolo reserve. A native of Piemonte, he considers the Nebbiolo to be his best wine; in the best years ('99, '01, '05) better than the flagship Octagon. At this tasting, I preferred the Octagon (some noticeable oak on the nebbiolo), but an Italian friend who knows as much as anybody about Italian wines, and who can be a bit snobbish on the subject, recently tried the '99 Nebbiolo and declared it the best Nebbiolo he's ever had outside of Piemonte.

One tip: I went during the week when the place was empty. I hear it can be quite a zoo on weekends.

Horton had some good wines: the sparkling wine, the viognier, some funky varietal from Georgia (as in Ed Shevardnadze's home), and plenty of wines that would confirm my previous assumptions about Virginia wine. Kenswick is worth the visit. It's owned by South Africans who bought the estate from Art Garfunkle. They've put a lot of money into the place (which is beautiful). The wines show some promise.

Horton has a number of "wierd" wines based on different fruits that are interesting to try. I think I've only bought one bottle from them ever (a Poire I believe) but interesting nonetheless. The Viognier is typically what they hold up as there best wine. I've tried it a time or two and not found it all that great. Horton definitely is one of the largest Virginia wineries but is very much a typical Virginia winery from probably about 5 years ago, i.e. they make drinkable stuff that is priced too high for what it is. Over the last couple of years it's been interesting to see a handful of wineries keep prices approximately the same as they had been all along but get much, much better. One of my favorites has always been Rappahannock, mainly because they are more convenient to DC than Barboursville and the Monticello wineries and thus I visit more frequently.

My recent weekend around Charlottesville confirmed my previous opinion that Barboursville is still tops of the pops for VA wineries. I agree with Jon that the Octagon is a good wine if a little pricey. The Keswick estate is a nice spot and I agree that its wines show some promise. Once they get a couple of additional vintages under their belt they should be producing some very good wines.

My major problem with the Horton Viognier is that in the tasting room they tend to pour an older vintage that is on its last legs.

Horton had some good wines: the sparkling wine, the viognier, some funky varietal from Georgia (as in Ed Shevardnadze's home), and plenty of wines that would confirm my previous assumptions about Virginia wine.

That's the rkatsiteli. One time I took my parents to Horton and my mom had finished tasting - or at least, so she thought. I had her taste the r-cats and she loved it.

At one point they were making a sparkling version that I liked a lot.

I'm a fan of Horton, but that's mostly because it was my "go to" winery for a long time when I lived in Charlottesville, especially for people who "didn't like wine" or hadn't been wine tasting before. Between the sheer number of wines, and the fact that it was free, and with the generally very friendly and informal atmosphere, it was an easy sell to lots of my friends.

(My parents current favorite winery down that way is King Family over in Crozet.)

Germantown, MD: Seems like you have a fondness for Virginia wines. What are your favorite wineries?

Todd Kliman: I do. I think Virginia wine has really come into its own. And as I said last week, I think the restaurants in the city are really missing out by not stocking them. How can you tout your being local (as so many chefs are wont to do these days) if you don't also make a point to carry a good number of local wines? Besides which, I think that good, well-made Virginia wines just go a lot better with food than those from California, Oregon, and Washington. I like their leanness and acidity, I like their low alcohol-levels. If I had to name some favorites, I'd put together a list that included Delfosse, Chrysalis, Barboursville, Veritas, some Kluge wines, some Blenheim, some Rappahanock ... I also like the wines put out under Michael Shaps's name.

Discuss? I've loved Michael Shaps's stuff and Veritas for a while, and the occasional wine from Barboursville. And I do agree that the best of Virginia's wineries deserve attention (the price point is still a bit higher than it should be, though that issue is improving).

Nothing I've had out of VA has replaced my love for the lighter, fruit-driven Pinot Noirs from California, nicely acidic but fruity Sauvignon Blancs from Marlborough, or dry, dry Reislings from the Rheinland, but I would buy a number of Virginia wines if they were offered at local restaurants. In fact, a Chrysalis Sauvignon Blanc was recomended to me a few years ago by Charlie Palmer's excellent Sommelier, and it was great.

Mr. lperry's job sent him to many of Virginia's wineries last year, and we ended up with quite a bit of wine in the cellar. We really enjoy Barboursville's wines - we've got the Nebbiolo, Octagon (both 2005), and brut right now. Linden makes a Cabernet Franc that they bottle in splits - it's like velvet. Really lovely. I think we've got the 2005. We've also enjoyed Kluge's wines.

I agree that there is a lot of Virginia wine that is overpriced, and when you shell out thirty bucks for something that is no better or even worse than two buck chuck*, you can't help but feel burned, and it becomes a difficult sell for everyone else. But there are some gems out there.

*No offense meant to two buck chuck. :P

Just posted this on another thread, but figured it would make sense here:

Just back from our Fauquier weekend and it was a great one! Certainly couldn't beat the weather, and came home with 17 bottles of Virginia wine. Caveat is that although I enjoy wine, I'm certainly not all that knowledgeable about what is a great wine and what is merely decent. I just know what I like. That being said, I typically lean towards whites with a preference for Savingon Blancs, but came away from the weekend with a more expanded appreciation. A lot of my opinions on the wineries do have to do more with the ambiance than the vino though :P

Friday made it down to The Plains in time to check in at the B&B, Grey Horse Inn, about 1/2 a mile off 66 at exit 31, and head down to a quick tasting at Pearmund Winery. It was a cute little place with a nice barrel room in which to relax. Saturday we made it to:

-Barrel Oak Winery - a new place near exit 27 that just opened this past summer. The interior reminds me of an open ski lodge, wooden and inviting. They had live music playing when we were there around noon and they let us bring in our picnic we had brought to enjoy at one of their tables. Very accommodating and some good wines as well.

-Naked Mountain Winery - this was probably our least favorite in terms of atmosphere and service. The interior is very dark and pretty small, and while there are excellent views from the property, it's the one I would probably cut out from future wine tours of the area.

-Fox Meadow Winery - this was hands down my favorite winery, although we only ended up buying one bottle. The owners were the ones serving us for the tasting and could not have been friendlier. They also did a unique pairing with the reserve tasting flight that included a few of cheeses, some German mustard and even a bite of Rice Krispie treat to compliment the Pinot Gris (apparently recommended by the wine critic of the San Francisco Chronicle? Don't knock it til you try it!)

-Linden Winery - definitely trying to be more exclusive, Linden does not admit tours, buses, or groups larger than 6. Their tasting is free, but you have to be a member of their cellar club to linger in their sitting room if you want to enjoy an additional glass or bottle. Excellent view from their sitting room though

-Rappahannock Winery - this was towards the end of the day, but still a worthwhile trip. Our server was very knowledgeable and helpful. We wanted to tour the winery, but they had an event going on already.

-Chateau O'Brien - This was an afterthought, but at Rappahannock another guest had recommended we try it on our way back to The Plains. We showed up at 5:30 and noticed they closed at 5, but since folks were still sitting around drinking, the server was gracious enough to run us through a quick tasting, and we're so glad she did! The Apple Wine from here was one of the more unique things we tried on the trip and we're looking forward to perhaps trying it mixed with some Perrier as a brunch beverage.

There were plenty of other wineries in the area we didn't have a chance to visit, but this is really an easy and fun day trip from the DC area. The closest wineries are only 45min-1hour from the DC area, and the others are only a few more miles down 66.

We went wine tasting about a year ago to some of those. Chateau O'Brien raised the price of the tasting on us when they realized there were more than a couple of us and the owner did the tasting, spending most of the time talking about how great he is.

I won't spell out what we called the winery after we left but I'll never go there again. It was by far the most obnoxious experience I've ever had at a Virginia winery.

So what's the deal with Virginia wine, anyway? What is the general take of the DR cognoscenti on "Virginia wine" as a whole?

I just got back from Napa. It was my first time wine tasting or even being on a vineyard and... I've developed a taste for it. But why go all the way to California when I have my own little Napa less than an hour from my house in Fairfax?

I take pride in wherever I live (otherwise I wouldn't live there), so I really want to support and promote local wineries. I will smite any who refer to Virginia wine as "swill" on principle... but I'd really like to have something with which to back up my passion.

So what's the deal with Virginia wine, anyway? What is the general take of the DR cognoscenti on "Virginia wine" as a whole?

I just got back from Napa. It was my first time wine tasting or even being on a vineyard and... I've developed a taste for it. But why go all the way to California when I have my own little Napa less than an hour from my house in Fairfax?

I take pride in wherever I live (otherwise I wouldn't live there), so I really want to support and promote local wineries. I will smite any who refer to Virginia wine as "swill" on principle... but I'd really like to have something with which to back up my passion.

Dan - at the risk of shameless self-promotion, check out my recent articles in The Washington Post Food section, of August 19 and October 14, for some local coverage. (I'd post links, but the link window goes off the edge of my screen and won't let me insert anything.)

Dan - at the risk of shameless self-promotion, check out my recent articles in The Washington Post Food section, of August 19 and October 14, for some local coverage. (I'd post links, but the link window goes off the edge of my screen and won't let me insert anything.)

It's not shameless if I ask for it. :(

So how will I find them without a link?

Dan,

I am not a wine expert, but I drink enough of it to feel my opinion is at least perhaps slightly credible. For Virginia wine most of my favorites are around Charlottesville(although White Fences in Irvington had some suprisingly decent bottles when I visited). My inlaws live in that area and have merrily supported my love of trying new wine and food so I get to go to a lot of wineries, my top favorites are:

Barboursville- they have two tasting days where you can taste almost all of their wines one in the summer and one in the fall really worth the trip, but if you taste everything you will have drank a whole bottle of wine so make a day of it).

White Hall- If they don't have it out ask to taste their Cuvee de Champs it is one of my favorites.

Flying Fox- relatively new but a lot of promise.

King Family- again also relatively new, they have polo matches there and that is a fun day to go if you ever want to visit fyi.

I know they serve some Virginia wine's at Passionfish (I don't know if any of the other ones have them too) and I keep seeing Octagon on more and more lists, I know it is on the list at Trummer's on Main.

I think that so far the red blends and viogniers tend to be best. But that is just my amateur opinion.

Try the wines from Veritas, Michael Shaps and Thibaut-Janisson (a sensational sparkling blanc de blancs from Charlottesville).

Try the wines from Veritas, Michael Shaps and Thibaut-Janisson (a sensational sparkling blanc de blancs from Charlottesville).

I adore the Thibaut-Janisson thanks to Mark for introducing us to it at his former place of business. It tastes more like real champagne than anything else

I've had from elsewhere or at its pricepoint (20 some dollards).

I beg to differ.

I agree with Mark.

I've had many a generously poured $7 glass of $9.99-a-bottle-retail screwtop Ken Forrester Petit Chenin at Restaurant Eve. Virginia makes many white wines at this level of quality, but would Eve be able to sell them for $7 a glass? If not (considering that the Forrester is made 25,000 miles from here, and probably sells, ex-cellar, for $2.89 a bottle), that's not saying much for either the QPR of Virginia wines, or the efficiency of our local distribution system. Should such a simple wine be cheap enough to be quaffed, guilt-free, with food, or must it be priced as a Friday-night special, to be sipped and scrutinized in front of the fireplace?

I don't mind paying $10-25 a bottle for a simple, well-made Virginia wine, any more than I mind paying that much for a Muscadet, Beaujolais, Dolcetto d'Alba, or Côtes du Rhône, but Dave, we're still waiting on a central repository of guidance - there's a minefield out there baiting the consumer, and we need you to draw us a map to help us navigate our way through it.

I could take a year off and write one, but that's how long it would take me: a year, and it's a year I don't have to spare right now. With your current knowledge of the region, you could rattle off a pretty comprehensive guidebook in months, perhaps even weeks (forget the fancy graphics and maps; just tell us what to buy). Hell, do one on the internet, and charge people $25 for access. I'll be customer #1.

Cheers,

Rocks.

Rocks has a point about QPR, but you didn't raise it initially; you just said no Virginia wines are worthy of being on Eve's list, something even Meshelle hasn't said in her reply to Todd Kliman.

Just so I'm part of the solution, instead of the problem, earlier this evening I had a brambly, kinky, Harris-Teeter-purchased 2005 Horton Norton (about $13), and am now enjoying a pure, medium-bodied glass of 2009 Chatham Vineyards "Church Creek" Steel Chardonnay (about $18) - Chatham also makes an Oak Chardonnay; I cannot see where oak treatment would help these delicate grapes, so I'd seek out the Steel version. Both of these wines represent good QPR.

Cheers,

Rocks

I am a self-admitted Burgundy Satyr so I have had problems finding Virginia wines that do much for me, there are exceptions, the white offerings from Glen Manor being one, and few wines from Albemarle that I have tried would be another – oh and the rose offered by the latter is as good as most of the French and Italian examples I have been enjoying this summer (offered by the glass at Poste).

Dave, we're still waiting on a central repository of guidance - there's a minefield out there baiting the consumer, and we need you to draw us a map to help us navigate our way through it.

I could take a year off and write one, but that's how long it would take me: a year, and it's a year I don't have to spare right now. With your current knowledge of the region, you could rattle off a pretty comprehensive guidebook in months, perhaps even weeks (forget the fancy graphics and maps; just tell us what to buy). Hell, do one on the internet, and charge people $25 for access. I'll be customer #1.

Though Don's dream of a manual for Virginia wine is still just a dream, Dave has two good articles in the Post this week, a general article on Virginia wine that features some good producers (including the exceptional Michael Shaps and Claude Thibaut), and an article on a film about the Virginia wine industry (which provides no air dates, but the film is available for purchase). I ordered a copy of the film (it was cheaper than a trip to E Street) and would gladly lend it to a DR.com screening if anyone is motivated enough to organize one.

Just so I'm part of the solution, instead of the problem, earlier this evening I had a brambly, kinky, Harris-Teeter-purchased 2005 Horton Norton (about $13), and am now enjoying a pure, medium-bodied glass of 2009 Chatham Vineyards "Church Creek" Steel Chardonnay (about $18) - Chatham also makes an Oak Chardonnay; I cannot see where oak treatment would help these delicate grapes, so I'd seek out the Steel version. Both of these wines represent good QPR.

Cheers,

Rocks

The owner grew up in the DC area, Great Falls to be exact, and his parents actually owned a winery out there. We carry the cab Franc and stainless chard up here at The Club, and it seems to do very well. I agree with Don, no oak needed, makes the wine to clumsy if you ask me.

I finally had a chance to get to VA Wineworks recently to taste the Michael Shapps wines. I've had his viognier before, along with several wines at wineries where he is a consultant and have thoroughly enjoyed them, but this tasting left me underwhelmed. Perhaps my enjoyment was affected by the incredibly slow service (this isn't really a criticism so much as a statement of fact - I believe the girl was pretty new and she said they typically don't get more than a few people at a time, whereas when we stopped in there were 2 larger groups in addition to me and my companion), I'm really not sure, but I was surprised to find myself leaving without any wine. I just expected something better given my enjoyment of his wines previously, and the rather high price point. My friend did buy the petit verdot - I'm hoping I get to drink it with him and with some time to really explore it, find I like it better.

Another visit to King Family did not disappoint however. I always enjoy their wines, especially the viognier, Roseland, and merlot and found the latter three to be exceptional values yet again. We left there with nearly a case of wine. :(

I know I'm not qualified to write a manual :) but I can suggest a few wines certainly worth tasting (and thereby wineries worth visiting) and possibly worth adding to your cellar:

Many of the Linden wines, but particularly the reserve chardonnays based on my last visit

Glen Manor sauvignon blanc and Hodder Hill

The King Family wines mentioned above

Barren Ridge Meritage (although I haven't yet tasted the new vintage) - their petit verdot is also quite good, as are some of their whites (the first viognier from here that I tasted is one of the wines mentioned above made with Michael Shapps as the consultant)

Pollack petit verdot (this winery is still new and the vines are young, but I think this is a winery to look out for)

Barboursville Octagon (in certain years)

I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting, but figured I'd throw those out. FYI, many of the wines I just listed are near or under $20/bottle.

Bumping for historical reasons.  This threaded started in 2005. Its pretty interesting to read what people were asking and saying back then compared to now. 

And back then most or all of the tastings were free. Not anymore!

• Like 2

Forgive me but I will make the serious and respectful argument that any tasting that is free is not the wine that you would judge a Virginia winery by.  Linden's '13 Hardscrabble Red is perhaps the best young red that Jim Law has made.  It's $50.00 a bottle but you can also buy it by the glass.  '14 Delaplane Williams Gap and  Petit Manseng are outstanding.  Williams Gap is $50 or so but you can also buy it by the glass. (the view out the floor to ceiling plate glass windows of the mountain side tasting room is breathtaking.) Glen Manor's '13 and '14 Hodder Hill, Petit Manseng, Petit Verdot (one of the best PV's anywhere) -all are well worth the price.  Their cabernet franc may also be Virginia's best.  In warmer months it is like an Austrian mountainside that the tables in the rear overlook.  Hangliders from near Skyline Drive float down the hillside which has vines climbing to 1,500 feet or more of elevation.

A number of Virginia wineries are making seriously good wine these days.  Perhaps, appropriately, it is more expensive.  

FWIW earlier vintages of all of the reds above are delicious right now.  '10 was a landmark vintage and is drinking beauitfully.  I'd add RDV Lost Mountain, Muse Clio, Barboursville Octagon and King Family's best red (forgot it's name)  to the above.  

There are also several new Virginia wineries which have beautiful settings:  Stone Tower near Leesburg and Blue Valley in Delaplane which is literally next to Barrel Oak and far superior with a gorgeous top of a mountain setting.  Early Mountain (now four or five years old) also has a beautiful setting off of route 29 between Culpeper and Charlottesville and further south of C'Ville is the excellent Pippen Hill which is really a "winery themed" restaurant.

Maryland also an excellent new winery, Big Cork (open several years) which along with Black Ankle may be the state's best.

---

Early Mountain Vineyards (dracisk)

• Like 2

Went to Naked Winery for their lasagna lunch.  I didn't think they had any wine I thought was stellar, but it was drinkable for sure.  The lasagna was good, a big portion, with garlic bread, very family friendly, affordable.  It was a nice way to spend a finally warm sunny day with friends.  The lasagna wasn't better than what some of my family can make, but the whole thing was a fun afternoon.