Dining in Montgomery County

Heather

Click. Nothing cutting edge, but it does mention two places, the Sunshine General Store and the Inn at Brookeville Farms, that I hadn't heard of, plus a couple of places in Germantown that ordinarily I wouldn't have given a second thought but am now curious about.

I haven't been, but my doctor described the Inn at Brookville Farms as "pretty good, but expensive." I was tickled by the wine section. finewine.com has one of the better selections in MoCo, but it still isn't what you can find in DC or VA, and the prices are higher because, after all, they have to buy from those idiots that run the Montgomery County ABC warehouse. The Adega Wine Cellars and Cafe is not bad, but the selection of wines is mostly the lower end (not that there is anything wrong with that) and not very interesting to anyone that is "into" wine. However, it is not bad for the casual wine drinker. I've enjoyed the couple of lunches I've had there.

The Sunshine Store is a treasure. It is camoflaged as a gas station, at the intersection of Routes 97 and 650, near the Montgomery-Howard County line.

I do love the burgers, but I mostly pass by there in the early morning. They have decent pancakes, chipped beef or sausage gravy (read the specials list, which is posted on the wall) My go-to carry out is a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich on whole wheat toast, with hot sauce. Easily four strips of bacon--when I was working for the steeplechase trainer, we discovered that a Sunshine breakfast sandwich at 7 was enough to get by for the day.

When ordering, please be polite--the locals disapprove of bad manners. Also, that article claims they are open until 5 or 6--I have never seen the grill open past 3 (but they fire up at 5 on weekdays and 6 on weekends).

I'll be there Saturday around 8 (Maryland Hunt Cup that day).

I haven't been, but my doctor described the Inn at Brookville Farms as "pretty good, but expensive." I was tickled by the wine section. finewine.com has one of the better selections in MoCo, but it still isn't what you can find in DC or VA, and the prices are higher because, after all, they have to buy from those idiots that run the Montgomery County ABC warehouse. The Adega Wine Cellars and Cafe is not bad, but the selection of wines is mostly the lower end (not that there is anything wrong with that) and not very interesting to anyone that is "into" wine. However, it is not bad for the casual wine drinker. I've enjoyed the couple of lunches I've had there.
When they first opened, Adega had an interesting, if small, wine selection. As time went on they focused less on the wine and more on the sandwiches as they were doing a much better business with the sandwiches. Now the wine selection is pitiful. The last couple of times that I went in within the last year, the wine racks were only half stocked. Now it's a sandwich shop that carries a few bottles of wine. Even by the standards of Monkey Cty the prices have been unbelievably high.

finewine is a good little shop with reasonable prices, but it's still Montgomery Cty prices. I live closer to Calvert-Woodley and Ace and thus have no reason to shop there other than to help the owner in her Quixotic struggle to at least mitigate the county's cut.

The Sunshine Store is a treasure. It is camoflaged as a gas station, at the intersection of Routes 97 and 650, near the Montgomery-Howard County line.

I do love the burgers, but I mostly pass by there in the early morning. They have decent pancakes, chipped beef or sausage gravy (read the specials list, which is posted on the wall) My go-to carry out is a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich on whole wheat toast, with hot sauce. Easily four strips of bacon--when I was working for the steeplechase trainer, we discovered that a Sunshine breakfast sandwich at 7 was enough to get by for the day.

When ordering, please be polite--the locals disapprove of bad manners. Also, that article claims they are open until 5 or 6--I have never seen the grill open past 3 (but they fire up at 5 on weekdays and 6 on weekends).

I'll be there Saturday around 8 (Maryland Hunt Cup that day).

Welcome MM! And thanks for the detailed info. I'm at my vet a block away about once a month ( :blink: ) Great vet btw. Next visit I'm stopping by for some breakfast, if it's early, and a burger if its not!

Welcome MM! And thanks for the detailed info. I'm at my vet a block away about once a month ( :blink: ) Great vet btw. Next visit I'm stopping by for some breakfast, if it's early, and a burger if its not!

Well, thank you!

I think they will do a breakfast sandwich any time, but get the burger if you can. And many napkins. When you go to pay at the front counter, get a piece of cake if there are any left. I sure hope they aren't overloaded with visitors tomorrow!

I went to the Sunshine grocery store for a hamburger. It was good! A half pound burger with cheese, lettuce, tomato, and mayo on a big bun with some sweet pickles on the side. The place was very busy and I had to wait a while. There's a counter where maybe 5 people can sit, and a regular old kitchen table where you sit with people you don't know. It's kind of odd too that they don't give you a ticket. When you're done you just go to the counter in the front of the store and tell them what you had, then they charge you. Carryout was busy.

You can see the cooks pat the ground meat just a few times into a burger shape and grilll them. Nothing fancy but just right.