Eggspectation, a Poorly Reviewed, Montreal-Based Breakfast Franchise in Several Suburban Locations

"Exquisitely awful!"

"Astonishingly ill-chosen!"

"Really bit the big one!"

"There... That wasn't so good now, was it?" **

Our so-far fruitless quest for a TkPk/SS breakfast joint led us to to the egg place with the incredibly horrid name in downtown Silver Spring: Eggspectation. The menu is lengthy, and chock-full of the most eggregious (sorry) puns. Scott ordered the "Eggsuberant" breakfast which included "two eggs, pancakes, grilled potatoes, choice of sausages, ham, Canadian bacon or bacon, served with grilled tomatoes and chef’s fruit garnish." Sounded ok on paper, but he left half of it - a very unusual occurrence. The eggs benedict was Holiday Inn-quality, with whites underdone enough to make me gag. (it normally includes gruyère cheese, which would have really made me gag). We ordered bacon for the kids to go with their child portions of french toast, and were brought two adult-sized orders - far more than we wanted. We would have appreciated knowing that there was no kid-sized order. It was cold, greasy, about 1mm thick, and definitely not worth $8.

$53 with two average coffees, three juices, tax and tip. I think Canada deserves a little retaliation for foisting this chain on the unsuspecting American public. "Stunningly bad!" "Couldn't be worse!" We won't be back.

** I'll buy a drink at the next dr.com happy hour for the first person to get the reference.

First we foist Celine Dion upon you, now Eggspectation. You will capitulate to our demands to have all hockey games broadcast (in the evening) on ESPN or we shall taunt you a second time.

If you're looking for a decent breakfast in TP/SS, have you tried the Woodside Deli (aka Deadside Woodie's)? I admit I've only eaten here whilst very hungover, but it's really not that bad for what it is.

Still holding out hope that the G-SPOT is the morning panacea we're looking for.

The food at the one in Chantilly is pretty good, despite their inability to fully comprehend "eggs scrambled hard," but the service ranges somewhere from inattentive to teeth-grindingly bad. Which is a shame, because I liked the crepes bretonnes I had last time we were there; I just lack the level of patience required to deal with bad service when the primary indicator of that bad service is not bringing me my damn coffee.

We ate at an Eggspectation in Toronto. In that restaurant the menu indicated that the chain is from the US (local to this area in fact.) I don't know. Maybe they didn't want to admit to it being Canadian.

In any case, it was overpriced and underwhelming. I love Eggs Benedict, but not the ones I got there. I cut into one and there was a lot of water from the poaching puddled in my plate. I will say however, that they took it away and replaced it with no hassle other than that I experienced waiting for the replacement. I certainly wouldn't recommend this place, or any of its siblings to anyone I liked.

Woodside isn't great. Parkway gets pretty crowded, but we'll give it another shot.

I haven't eaten at Eggspectation for maybe two years. It wasn't great , but it wasn't awful either, but it may well have gone downhill. Woodside, on the other hand, in my experience IS awful. I once ordered scrapple there, and it was obvious they just cut off some and dumped it in the fry basket. I asked them to please do some on the griddle with maybe a little butter, and they looked at me like I was from Mars. Maybe I am. The rest of their stuff that I've tried isn't much better IMO. I'm also not impressed with Parkway--high prices, greasy floor.

First we foist Celine Dion upon you, now Eggspectation. You will capitulate to our demands to have all hockey games broadcast (in the evening) on ESPN or we shall taunt you a second time.

Now, now, the Canadian Government has apologized for Bryan Adams on several occasions!

-Steve

Add me to the "People that hate Eggspectation" list. Has anyone tried Red Dog Cafe on Grubb RD for breakfast? I've been there for dinner a lot...a lot. They put crack in that pulled pork sandwhich.

On 5/6/2007 at 0:04 PM, dinwiddie said:

We ate at an Eggspectation in Toronto. In that restaurant the menu indicated that the chain is from the US (local to this area in fact.) I don't know. Maybe they didn't want to admit to it being Canadian.

Given the absolutely bizarre set of locations, it seems like it's not American-based: Canada, USA, Dubai, Qatar, and India.

Anyway, there are now Eggspectation franchises in Silver Spring (right underneath Thai at Silver Spring), Leesburg, Gainesville, and Chantilly - as well as a couple in the Baltimore suburbs.

14 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

Given the absolutely bizarre set of locations, it seems like it's not American-based: Canada, USA, Dubai, Qatar, and India.

Anyway, there are now Eggspectation franchises in Silver Spring (right underneath Thai at Silver Spring), Leesburg, Gainesville, and Chantilly - as well as a couple in the Baltimore suburbs.

We ate at the Silver Spring location once. Wasn't great, not memorable, but it was serviceable.

There is one in Annapolis near my hairdresser (yes, I drive to Annapolis to get my hair done, my lady is worth it) and my Mom and I will get breakfast there.  In Annapolis, and other places, it is getting harder and harder to find places that offer a fairly normal "plain" breakfast.  I don't expect it to be exciting, I just want some eggs, but I don't want them to be expensive or awful either, and I don't want a buffet.  It normally meets that expectation.  

Well Eggspectations the last time I went had gone downhill a bit.  I got baked eggs with spinach- which were overdone.  I got english muffins which they cut so they were over toasted and no nooks and crannies.  My mom's meal came with potatoes, mine with fruit, so we switched.  The potatoes were ok, but they had a seasoning I didn't prefer.  The pancakes looked good- which is ironic given their name.  And they were swamped before the Navy game, but still...

The one in Chantilly is perfectly adequate.  Some of the non-breakfast food is fine but you are better off sticking to the breakfast food.  The pancakes and sausage are actually quite good.  

I think we have done breakfast there all of once.  Usually we do dinner there where the crowds aren't as bad.

If you want Pancakes, and price is no object give them a try,

• Like 2

On 11/20/2016 at 7:54 AM, ulrath said:

The one in Chantilly is perfectly adequate.  Some of the non-breakfast food is fine but you are better off sticking to the breakfast food.  The pancakes and sausage are actually quite good.  

I think we have done breakfast there all of once.  Usually we do dinner there where the crowds aren't as bad.

If you want Pancakes, and price is no object give them a try,

I concur in Ulrath's description. It's not especially cheap but it's good for a big group that includes picky eaters. Perfectly adequate.

• Like 1