Sthitch

The Greene Turtle, a Hanover, MD-Based Sports Bar Chain with Very Little in the Way of Cuisine

Arlington Now is reporting that the Greene Turtle on Glebe in Ballston is closing, and will be replaced by another Applebee's.

For those of us underwhelmed by both, does this development mean that the Greene Turtle's expansion has hit a wall, or does it mean that Applebee's is successfully chasing Arlington's appetite for mediocre food, or somewhere in between...?

On 8/23/2016 at 10:50 AM, Kibbee Nayee said:

Arlington Now is reporting that the Greene Turtle on Glebe in Ballston is closing, and will be replaced by another Applebee's.

For those of us underwhelmed by both, does this development mean that the Greene Turtle's expansion has hit a wall, or does it mean that Applebee's is successfully chasing Arlington's appetite for mediocre food, or somewhere in between...?

A couple of points:

1.  This has been reported before

2.  This (and I presume other Greene Turtle's) are franchised and owned by different folks.  The bar school had staffed a lot of folks there over the years, including managers.  We get a lot of feedback over time from grads.  We discount most of it.  This one though, generated a serious number of "complaints".  We still discount the comments, but the noise/complaint level was higher.  Reviews for this location on other web sites were not good over a period of time....and frankly I strongly believe that is the weaker side of the road for easy foot traffic.

3.  Based on my old work in leasing restaurant spaces and working with restaurateurs and chains....I don't think they conceive of the term "mediocre food" in looking for locations.  They focus on demographics of total population, ages, income levels, working people, etc etc.  The restaurants sort of know where they are (spoken or tacitly) in the quality food chain and price chain.   I think if they see the overall package of demographics that covers a large population...and it looks appealing, and they don't have a restaurant in that area, or they see a location as upgrading another location, they'll try and make a deal. 

So I suspect this says more about just this Greene Turtle at this location and doesn't speak to their plans or expansion in general.  (of course that is just my $0.02)

• Like 2