Jaleo, Local Spanish Tapas Chain - Penn Quarter, Bethesda, and Crystal City

I have had mixed experiences at the downtown Jaleo, and I always preferred the one in Bethesda. However, we had a quick lunch at the 7th Street location this weekend, and it was quite good. The bacon-wrapped dates were non-greasy and very plump and flavorful, and the sausage and goat cheese "bombas" were also a table favorite. The chicken croquetas and the tortilla were both reliable as ever, as was the chorizo (served with a potato puree). My only disappointment was the patatas bravas--the potatoes were nice and crispy, but they were WAY too heavily sauced, and that sauce wasn't as piquant as I would like. Service was more attentive than usual, and all of the food came out quickly and piping hot. When the food is "on," Jaleo is a really nice option for an affordable meal.

Recently visited the Bethesda Jaleo and wondered why I haven't visited more often. We pigged out to make up for lost time. Starting with a selection of serrano ham and a garlicky, pimenton flavored ham (i forget the name), then moving on to the deep fried goodness of chicken croquettes, dates wrapped in bacon (was surprised that this was encased in breading and deep-fried but delicious nonetheless), patatas bravas, chorizo with potato (like little cocktail weiners with a potato chip, only better), cauliflower, mushroom risotto and the veal stew with porcini. The veal stew was the most expensive at around $11 but worth it. Tender pieces of veal in a rich broth with huge pieces of fresh porcini. It was perfect on a winter day following Snowmaggedon. At lunchtime, the place was only half-full while Raku was standing-room only with a long wait to be seated. Not to knock Raku, but I would say that a meal at Jaleo is more bang for the buck. I'm glad we went for tapas. Bonus sighting of Jose Andres at the bar.

Great meal at Jaleo at 480 7th Street. on a dreary and rainy early evening we were able to relax and have a great meal.

This was my second trip there and will not be my last.

Our waitress was wonderful - being able to adapt to the tables (the diners next to us had never had tapas and she made suggestions all thru their meal) for us when we were on course two or three she asked what we had liked best and made suggestions based on that. They kept our water and bread basket full (always a plus)

we had a few selections off the special pork menu

Jamon Croquetas

Ham fritters - yummy

Lomo cerdo

Roasted pork - quite good

Tortilla Chorizo Omlet

not my favorite but Sweetie and guest liked it.

Ensalada de coles de Bruselas Warm brussels sprout salad with apricots and Serrano ham

Okay I don't even like brussel sprouts (too squeeky) but this was yummy

Berenjenas a la miel Lightly battered eggplant with honey

probally the low point of the meal - just not up to the flavors of the rest of the meal

Buñuelos de bacalao Fried salt cod fritters with honey alioli

I would not have ordered these but Sweetie did and WOW were they amazing.

Pato con peras Marinated duck confit with pear sauce

Good but a bit overcooked. pear sause didn't stand up to the duck

Dátiles con tocino ‘como hace todo el mundo’ Fried dates wrapped in bacon

OH YEAH one of my favorites.

Aceitunas marinadas con queso Manchego Marinated olives and Manchego cheese

pretty standard tapas fare

We split one dessert

Espuma de avellanas y chocolate Chocolate and hazelnut mousse torte

which was good but left us wanting so we headed to the Red Velvet Cupcake across the street.

one Sangria - good but nothing special

Total for three was $93.50 plus tip.

I went with a group of eight friends to the Bethesda location last Friday night. We had Fisherman's Soup, spinach with pine nuts, chorizo with mashed potatoes, patatas bravas, canelones with foie gras & pork, veal stew, hangar steak with cabrales sauce, chicken croquetas, and a few other things that I can't remember. The only serious misses were the soup (gritty broth) and a sea urchin prep that plunked the urchin on a brunoise of gaspacho-type ingredients that totally overwhelmed the flavor.

Everything was fine: food was OK (not great) and service was adequate, but I couldn't help but be disappointed by it. When the original Jaleo opened downtown it was an exciting place - vibrant food & innovative desserts - and led the way in revitalizing the neighborhood now called the Penn Quarter. The Bethesda location feels like the Tapas Factory, corporate and tired.

I went with a group of eight friends to the Bethesda location last Friday night. We had Fisherman's Soup, spinach with pine nuts, chorizo with mashed potatoes, patatas bravas, canelones with foie gras & pork, veal stew, hangar steak with cabrales sauce, chicken croquetas, and a few other things that I can't remember. The only serious misses were the soup (gritty broth) and a sea urchin prep that plunked the urchin on a brunoise of gaspacho-type ingredients that totally overwhelmed the flavor.

Everything was fine: food was OK (not great) and service was adequate, but I couldn't help but be disappointed by it. When the original Jaleo opened downtown it was an exciting place - vibrant food & innovative desserts - and led the way in revitalizing the neighborhood now called the Penn Quarter. The Bethesda location feels like the Tapas Factory, corporate and tired.

As it happens, we were at the downtown location tonight and had a delightful time, though my palo cortado was a bit warm. A few slices of jamon iberico were very dear at 14 bucks, but oh so good. Canelones stuffed with pork and foie gras and smothered in bechamel were another hit. We don't go here often, but whenever we do we love it, and the vibe is still pleasantly hip and urbane although the place has been around for at least a decade. I've been to the Bethesda location once, and had the same impression that you did--very chainy. Perhaps the concept does not translate well to the burbs.

I've been to the Bethesda location once, and had the same impression that you did--very chainy. Perhaps the concept does not translate well to the burbs.

Crystal City has the same feel, I don't think that it has anything to do with the zip code, but the attention to detail in the kitchen.

I just had dinner at the Crystal City Jaleo, and I think they have stepped up their game. We were there once last year, and it did taste like 'tapas factory', but tonight meal was as good as the meals that I've had downtown. Of special note were the baby artichokes with black olive tapenade, which was like crack for me. The artichokes were chopped into halves and crowns, and fried. The tapenade was salty and olive-y and funky probably from some anchovies. Another thing to get for sure is the cheese plate. 6 different cheeses, $16. The best were the garroxta and the cana de cabra, a white-rind goat cheese with the slight runnyness around the rind and the crumbly center.

I just had dinner at the Crystal City Jaleo, and I think they have stepped up their game. We were there once last year, and it did taste like 'tapas factory', but tonight meal was as good as the meals that I've had downtown. Of special note were the baby artichokes with black olive tapenade, which was like crack for me. The artichokes were chopped into halves and crowns, and fried. The tapenade was salty and olive-y and funky probably from some anchovies. Another thing to get for sure is the cheese plate. 6 different cheeses, $16. The best were the garroxta and the cana de cabra, a white-rind goat cheese with the slight runnyness around the rind and the crumbly center.

I have to agree with Mr. Rice. Though I recently moved into Crystal City so I have no prior experience with Jaleo, I was particularly impressed with the food on my last visit. I had the grilled chicken with parsley sauce, the boiled octopus with pimenton, selected vegetables with gooseberries, and the eggplant, onion and pepper salad with sherry dressing. The proteins were perfectly seasoned and the definite standouts--the octopus was perfectly cooked for me (firm but just a tad on the soft side) and the grilled chicken went great with the parsley sauce. The vegetable dishes didn't really speak for themselves, though. In particular, the salad was a tad greasy and the sherry vinaigrette was too mild for me. Finally, the Spanish dark beer was quite nice (Alhambra, I htink).

Total: $37 before tip.

Rob

Jaleo remains probably the most underrated dining experience in the area. I normally eat at the Crystal City branch, presided over by the talented young chef, Ramon Martinez. Ramon now supervises the kitchens in all 3 Jaleos. Last night my wife and I chose a soupy seafood paella with softshell crab, one of the highlights of the restaurant's paella festival. The festival ends today and I encourage anyone with an interest in Spanish food to go and choose one of the special paellas.

Went again recently. I think I need to take this out of my rotation. Small slip ups and increasing prices with service that is sub-par makes for this decision. The slipups (outside of slow service) were related to the food -- a shrimp dish where the shrimp had not been deveined...A sausage dish where there were larger bits of chewier/harder chunks of fat in the sausage (where the inside was not a coarse sausage)...makes me scratch my head. There are better places for the money. This was in the Bethesda location FWIW.

Went to try and dine on patio at about 9:45 last night in Bethesda. Was told the patio was already closed but "Wold we care to dine inside?" I said "no, thats why we asked to dine outside." No reply.

Now I can think of one good reason that they would not seat us outside: their liquor license or their interactions with their neighbors have led them to close the patio earlier then the restaurant. And that's a great reason. But just saying no and giving no further explanation made it seem unwelcoming. So we went elsewhere.

5 other places had their patios open and were only too happy to welcome us.

I had dinner with 6 friends at the downtown Jaleo this evening. Food ranged from good to very good with the more impressive dishes surprisingly (for me, as a lover of meat) being the vegetarian dishes. The spinach with raisins & pine nuts was much better than I remembered it, the cauliflower stood out (and the leftover oil retained the flavor of roasted cauliflower and made for excellent bread dipping). I always find the mushrooms and the goat cheese stuffed red pepper good as well and they did not disappoint. The non-veggie options that really stood out were the fried squid - so tender and I saved the aioli for more bread dipping - and the octopus plate. The latter wasn't particularly exciting in terms of seasoning, but the octopus was cooked so perfectly that I didn't care. Chorizo served on a bed of mashed potatoes was also solid. The rabbit confit and the scallops were good, but less exciting to me. There were other dishes, but I can't remember/comment on all of them.

My one complaint was that we ordered 2 of the specials and learned later that they were out of both. The specials menu has all of about 4 or 5 specials and we were seated at 6:45 so this struck me as odd, but it wasn't a major deal given the number of choices on their menu. Although I really would have preferred the roasted brussels sprouts in bechamel sauce to the salad-type dish from the regular menu that we got instead.

Still, we had a large number of dishes and all but one person had at least 2 glasses of wine or sangria and our bill was only about $50/person with tax/tip. I will admit with a large group of friends like this, I may have been less particular than I would have been had I gone alone or with just a friend or two, but for the situation and the cost, I was very pleased. I certainly think it continues to be a good choice for a group who doesn't mind sharing.

stopped in for some pre-theater friday, place was slammed busy at 6:30!

Noteables dishes:

Salmon belly over mashed potatoes

wrinkled baby potatoes with a herby dipping sauce (salsa verde kinda like)...the potatoes were about the size of a marble, boiled in brine (think salt potatoes if you are an upstate NYer).

Not noteable:

I remember in years past that Jaleo always had very good bread, the bread Friday was very disappointing, lifeless chunks, poor crust, very bland. Like supermarket band.

I've had two nice meals at Jaleo recently, a weekend lunch downtown, and a dinner in Crystal City. I expected downtown to be better, but both meals were delicious and the service was attentive and gracious. The patatas bravas are with fingerlings right now - really flavorful. Also notable, both the beet and citrus salad and the fennel and apple salad. Fresh and delicious with just the right amount of dressing. Mr. lperry loved the tortilla de setas y queso Garrotxa, but I though the eggs were underdone. That's a personal preference, though. He also enjoyed the chorizo casero with potato purée. The sangria was better downtown, but quite good at both locations. A solid performance by both restaurants.

Still, we had a large number of dishes and all but one person had at least 2 glasses of wine or sangria and our bill was only about $50/person with tax/tip. I will admit with a large group of friends like this, I may have been less particular than I would have been had I gone alone or with just a friend or two, but for the situation and the cost, I was very pleased. I certainly think it continues to be a good choice for a group who doesn't mind sharing.

I feel like Jaleo is most expensive when you are there with 2 people, becuase you (I) are (am) more inclined to get a carafe (or 2) of sangria and "need" to order enough dishes to have a variety and accomodate different appetites. As a singleton I am less inclined to drink and might only get 2 tapas before I'm full (wasn't there some study that said people eat more with others?). When you have a big group, however, you have economies of scale in ordering, even with small dishes, and can try a large number of things for the same price.

Anyway, musing aside, I can't stop ordering the ensalada rusa when I'm there. So simple but so delicious.

I had my first dinner at the Crystal City Jaleo this evening. It is as much like the original Jaleo in DC and the Unos chain restaurants are like the original Pizzeria Uno in Chicago. The Crystal City Jaleo is more like La Tasca than it is like the original Jaleo.

That's absolutely correct.

Found myself at the Bethesda Jaleo Saturday night...with a table of 6 we covered a lot of ground.

I actually thought the cooking at the Bethesda branch was stronger than the past two times I've been to the DC branch, which I thought slapdash and sloppy. The past two DC visits were for happy hour on Columbus Day Monday and for a pre-theater dinner on a Friday night.

Also noticed that the sangria at the bethesda location was slightly carbonated, which I don't remember it being at the DC location. Bread still sucks at both locations.

Found myself at the Bethesda Jaleo Saturday night...with a table of 6 we covered a lot of ground.

I actually thought the cooking at the Bethesda branch was stronger than the past two times I've been to the DC branch, which I thought slapdash and sloppy.

I concur that the last two times I've eaten at Bethesda within probably the past six months or so have been pretty solid. There was a thinly sliced duck breast dish on rice that was really good, but I can't remember the exact outlines of it.

I concur that the last two times I've eaten at Bethesda within probably the past six months or so have been pretty solid. There was a thinly sliced duck breast dish on rice that was really good, but I can't remember the exact outlines of it.

we ordered that dish, I believe it was foie gras, duck, and rice. We also had a similar dish of mushrooms and rice (like a risotto) which was also very good.

we ordered that dish, I believe it was foie gras, duck, and rice. We also had a similar dish of mushrooms and rice (like a risotto) which was also very good.

We did as well. It was with a foie gras cream sauce, not actual foie gras as I recall. It's been solid the last few times we've been there as well. Have noticed the prices creeping up over the last couple of years (though that's not unique to Jaleo, of course) and perhaps the sizes of a couple of the dishes shrinking a bit, but the cooking's been consistently very good. Continue to be big fans of the dates with bacon and salt cod fritters with honey aioli, among other dishes. And that duck dish has become a standard for us as well.

My wife and I ended up at the DC Jaleo last night on a bit of a whim, and had what I would describe as a good, but not great meal. We love Jaleo, but hadn't been in quite some time. The standouts were scallops with romesco sauce; grilled hanger steak; and flautas with Iberico ham and tomatoes. The last one was my favorite, and reminded me very much of a sandwich I ate at a little dive in Barcelona. My wife's favorite was the scallops, which were delicious, and the sauce was good enough to just spoon it into my mouth on its own. The two weak links were cooked peppers stuffed with goat cheese; and a squid cooked in squid ink with rice. The last one was decidedly mediocre. Service was very good throughout, and we didn't encounter the problem that we so often have with small plates, where everything gets dumped on our table at once. There was a nice pacing to the plates making it to our table.

Anyhow, all in all a good meal, and I'm sure we'll be back. On our way out we noticed that Jose Andres was in the restaurant, although not in the kitchen, and I have no idea what impact, if any, that had on the meal or service.

Stopped by yesterday and wow. Felt like I was in a Jetsons episode. Recapte was good. A few prices looked a bit higher, but the same crew seemed as eager to please as ever. The construction smell needs to be aired out a bit. I'll be as regular as I ever was.

Couple of new items that are noteworthy:

The sea urchin and butter on top of cristal bread is pure decadence at its most creamy.

And the mini HAMburguesa - kind of a slider with piquillo peppers and porcine meat - is memorable as well.

And the construction smell is gone.

The new decor and color scheme at the DC location is...strong (RED!), with the kitschy soccer element leaning whimsical in the restaurant and a bit startling in the bathrooms. It's great that the restaurant's been refreshed, but I do miss the soothing blue-greens of the old tile motif. No construction smell that I could discern. Food/service is just as remembered. The croquettes are served in a shoe dish! It's hilarious, though the croquettes don't hold a candle to the bacon-wrapped dates if you're going for fried things.

Any further recommendations on what's good now since the re-opening? (I see the recommendations above for sea urchin with butter on bread - yum - and bacon-wrapped dates and mini-hamburguesas).

Going there tonight with out-of-town relatives who picked it for a celebration dinner.

Popped in for solo lunch today since +1 is working and coiuldn't get away for lunch. The new decor is puzzling. I wonder how many people sitting at those foosball tables (covered in glass) are going to get skewered in the gut by a dining companion across the table fiddling with the player controls on the table. It took me a while to figure out that the design elements on the wall/ceiling to absorb sound are supposed to evoke soccer balls. And the floor art in the bathroom is weird. Who wants the sensation of cheeering fans watching you use the loo?

But the two dishes I had were excellent. Mixed seasonal mushrooms on creamy, cheesy potatoes were hearty and flavored with lots of garlic and thyme. The garlic shrimp had a really great lemony tang and lots of (I think) good paprika. Oh, the garlic! This is not for anyone who is timid with garlic or who has a date later on. I sopped up all the juices with the slices of baguette that was sent with the shrimp.

They were completely out of ALL draft beer, a shame since that's what I wanted. Bottled beer was an adequate substitute.

Service at the bar was friendly and efficient. It's a good place to eat alone.

When you want to go out in the city for a special dinner, with inventive cooking, beautiful ingredients, excellent service, and a captivating atmosphere, you would probably think of something like Palena, Elisir or Fiola. But that's exactly the kind of dinner we had last night at Jaleo.

We attended an open house for our son's new school nearby and afterwards ran through the rain to catch dinner at Jaleo, arriving a bit wet and without a reservation. We are obviously pathetic old fogeys because we had no idea they had redecorated back in March. We fell in love with the place immediately. I actually think it's one of the coolest places in the city now--swanky and fun without being irretrievably hip and trendy. It reminded me a bit of Tantris in Munich (Joe H?). The fibers and fabrics that cover the walls also bring down the decibel level quite a bit, something I wish more restaurant designers would do.

But what surprised us even more was the food, which seems to have become more refined without losing any of its elemental tapas appeal. The Iberico miniburgers, which we had with the optional bacon, were a delectably fatty, sweet apotheosis of porkitude. Not to be missed. An apple and fennel salad with Manchego was conventional enough, but elevated to a new height by the care put into its preparation and presentation, the uncompromisingly fresh state of its ingredients, and the perfect balance of its Sherry vinaigrette. Another salad, served warm, of Brussels spouts, apricots, apples and Serrano, looked like a bowl of glistening emeralds. The leaves of the sprouts had been individually detached and shone a fresh, bright green in a dressing that balanced sweet, salty, tart, and sour to perfection. Another salad--watermelon with goat cheese, tomato concassé and pistachios--featured deep red, ripe slices of watermelon presented and garnished with the skill of a master shokunin. Grilled quail with rosemary sauce has long been a favorite of mine at Jaleo, and last night it seemed even better than I remembered, the honey-sweetened demi-glace spiked with just the right touch of rosemary and permeating the tender meat of the bird--again everything in perfect balance.

Desserts maintained the same high level. Chocolate hazelnut cake with praline ice cream and salted caramel, and Spanish custard with oranges and cream, continued the immaculate sense of balance and proportion that went into all the previous dishes, with an elegant and clean presentation that matched or exceeded anything you'd find at Marcel's or Palena.

Jaleo has also joined the artisanal drinks trend with a varied program that compares favorably with the likes of PX or Central. The two we tried were perfectly composed tours of intriguing flavors and combinations. On the more conventional side, the Overholt Manhattan I ordered was the best one I've had in recent memory.

My wife and I kept telling each other how incredible everything was at Jaleo compared to restaurants we had been to recently with far higher price points and ambition (e.g., Fiola), to say nothing of our lackluster experience at Hank's Oyster Bar on Capitol Hill. This spontaneous dash through the rain ended up being one of the best restaurant experiences, in all ways, that we have ever had in DC.

"Dad, I have a question for you," Matt said as he came back from washing his hands. We had just played tennis, and pointed our car in the direction of Crystal City, thinking we'd go somewhere on 23rd Street. As we approached, driving down Route 1, I asked if he'd like to try Jaleo. We parked in the garage, and before we even got to the host stand, we saw the name José Andrés pimped on the windows in bright red letters, twice, cookbooks and some type of videos for sale, and more peddling of "José the Product" on the host stand itself - it was as garish as it could be, and in completely poor taste.

"Is Jaleo considered a joke in the restaurant world?" he asked.

"No. It's food for the masses, but it's generally considered to be decent. Tom Sietsema just gave the downtown Jaleo 3.5 stars in his recent dining guide," I added. Based on my previous visit to the downtown Jaleo (review here), Tom and I are apart by a fairly wide margin.

We were led to a table against the back wall, and I had a good overview of the restaurant which became fairly crowded during our meal.

Our friendly server took our drink order, and my young dining companion asked if they had any non-alcoholic cocktails, and they didn't, so he got a small glass of Melon Juice ($4.50) which was fresh, pulpy, and tasted as if a cantaloupe had been put through a juicer. Instead of paying $5 for a tiny glass of Hidalgo "La Gitana" Manzanilla Sherry, I opted for the entire 500 ml bottle ($26) which is 2/3 the size of a standard bottle of wine. Sherry by the glass is often poured into a copa (that's Spanish for "thimble"), and it's a better value if you can spring for the bottle, especially since Jaleo will wrap the unused portion to take home. La Gitana ("The Gypsy") is a mass-produced but highly regarded and inexpensive Sherry, easily recognized by the gypsy woman on the label, and can be found at most retail wine stores for under $15 ($26 at a restaurant is a fair price for this, and I recommend ordering it). Remember also that the Crystal City Jaleo has its own retail wine store upstairs.

We ordered five tapas, each of us taking a turn choosing one, and all ended up ranging between $7.00 and $8.50.

Ensalada Rusa ($7.00) is described as "the ultimate Spanish tapa," and is a cylinder salad of potatoes, imported canned tuna, and mayonnaise - this version was dotted with green peas as well. It was pretty much as you'd expect, and my first bite made me really glad I ordered that Sherry - the pairing works well.

Dátiles con Tocino 'Como Hace Todo el Mundo' ($7.00) is my go-to tapa at Jaleo, and these were a fairly good rendition. I couldn't quite figure out what the sauce was until I looked at the menu this morning - the bacon-wrapped fried dates are served skewered with a toothpick, and piled atop an apple-mustard sauce (I thought it was some type of eggplant with apple cider vinegar). The vinegary sauce didn't work well with this, but it was on the bottom of the plate so it was optional, and it wasn't bad by any means.

And then came the dynamic duo:

Tortilla de Patatas Al Momento ($7.50) is a Spanish omelet with potatoes and onions, cooked to order, and presented in a circle about the size of a pancake. This was a delicious, moist omelet that was good by itself, but the flavors became stratospheric when placed side-by-side on the same plate as it's companion tapa.

Pimientos del Piquillo Rellenos de Queso ($7.00) were two tiny little piquillo peppers stuffed with Caña de Cabra goat cheese. Taken by themselves, they were uneventful, and terribly expensive for two such small peppers; placed atop the omelet, however, they became a necessary condiment that brought the combination into high synergy. We cut the omelet in half, and each took one of the peppers, so we had our own plates. At $14.50 for the pair, this was simply too expensive, and yet the flavors were irresistible. If the price doesn't bother you, give this combination a try.

And to finish:

Butifarra Casera con Mongetes Daniel Patrick Moynihan ($8.50) was a fairly large, single link of house-made pork sausage atop sautéed white beans. Why this dish is named after Senator Moynihan is a mystery to me, but I really enjoyed the beans which were curiously desiccated (in a pleasant way). We both agreed that the sausage was the weak "link" in the meal, about on a par with one you'd buy at Whole Foods (which is no great insult, as Whole Foods sells pretty decent sausages).

After the meal, I said to Matt that I thought everything was good to very good, and asked him what he thought. I value Matt's opinion highly because he has a phenomenal palate, having been to literally hundreds of restaurants and having his aesthetics influenced by his old man. More importantly, he is completely unbiased, and is usually dead-on with his assessments.

"I'd agree with that," he said. "I'm a fan."

Well, there you go, José - you impressed the toughest food critic in town: my son. I'm raising the Crystal City Jaleo to Italic in the Dining Guide.

Butifarra Casera con Mongetes Daniel Patrick Moynihan ($8.50) was a fairly large, single link of house-made pork sausage atop sautéed white beans. Why this dish is named after Senator Moynihan is a mystery to me, but I really enjoyed the beans which were curiously desiccated (in a pleasant way).

When I worked briefly at Poste, I heard a story that the late Senator was a early and ardent fan of Jaleo. It was during one of his dinners there that he noticed that the building across the street was essentially a crack house. As it was a Federal building--a former post office--he began pushing for it to be redeveloped using his considerable influence to do so. I am pretty sure at the time it was the first time--or one of the first times--a government building had been leased to a private enterprise. The result, of course, was the Hotel Monaco and Poste. Who knows if the story is even close to true, but I always thought it was a good one, and customers at the bar at Poste always liked hearing it.

Butifarra Casera con Mongetes Daniel Patrick Moynihan ($8.50) was a fairly large, single link of house-made pork sausage atop sautéed white beans. Why this dish is named after Senator Moynihan is a mystery to me, but I really enjoyed the beans which were curiously desiccated (in a pleasant way). We both agreed that the sausage was the weak "link" in the meal, about on a par with one you'd buy at Whole Foods (which is no great insult, as Whole Foods sells pretty decent sausages).

Moynihan had a lot to do with the revival of Penn Quarter and moved there from Capitol Hill later in his life. Aside from his general importance to the area, he may well have been a customer--even a regular one--of the original restaurant.

ETA: I hadn't seen the post above when I started my reply.

"Tom Sietsema just gave the downtown Jaleo 3.5 stars in his recent dining guide," I added. Based on my previous visit to the downtown Jaleo (review here), Tom and I are apart by a fairly wide margin.

Don: I don't know about 3.5 stars, but I'd urge you to try the Downtown Jaleo post-renovation. My experience has been that the downtown and Bethesda Jaleos have had their ups and downs over the years, appearing to depend upon who Jose has assigned to run the kitchens at any given time. At times, the inconsistency was maddening -- the main problem being that the cooking could become palpably pro forma -- but there were usually distinct periods in which one location or the other would be reliably top-rate.

Since the renovation, under the supervision (I believe) of Paul Yeck, who was recently the chef in Bethesda during one of its high-water marks, I've had nothing but terrific meals at the downtown location.

Don, Banco: really? I ate at Jaleo (Penn Quarter) a few weeks ago. If I had to sum up the meal in one word, I'd say "boring". Nothing was bad or wrong, nor was anything particularly interesting. It all seemed liked tired versions of what was once so exciting... 20 years ago. Or maybe I really do have a serious case of palate fatigue.

Note for those with food allergies: if you tell them you have a food allergy, they will give you a special menu. It seemed a nice touch but at the same time irritating, because the only nut I'm allergic to is walnuts, but the special menu lists only dishes with no nuts whatsoever. So if I hadn't swapped menus with someone, I would have missed a few interesting-sounding things. (Not that it mattered in the end.) Ultimately there's no substitute for talking with your server about what you can't eat.

Don, Banco: really? I ate at Jaleo (Penn Quarter) a few weeks ago. If I had to sum up the meal in one word, I'd say "boring". Nothing was bad or wrong, nor was anything particularly interesting. It all seemed liked tired versions of what was once so exciting... 20 years ago. Or maybe I really do have a serious case of palate fatigue.

I admit I was effusive, but we really were very impressed. And I think the experience at Jaleo does depend a lot on what one orders. As for palate fatigue, that can work both ways. I think we have become so tired of effortful, overwrought and aspirational cuisine recently at the city's more expensive places (and even its less expensive ones) that Jaleo's fresh and simple approach on that particular evening came across as revelatory.

Dátiles con Tocino 'Como Hace Todo el Mundo' ($7.00) is my go-to tapa at Jaleo, and these were a fairly good rendition. I couldn't quite figure out what the sauce was until I looked at the menu this morning - the bacon-wrapped fried dates are served skewered with a toothpick, and piled atop an apple-mustard sauce (I thought it was some type of eggplant with apple cider vinegar). The vinegary sauce didn't work well with this, but it was on the bottom of the plate so it was optional, and it wasn't bad by any means.

This is one of our go-to's at Jaleo as well. The sauce was new to us on this visit, and with no indication of it on the menu (Bethesda), we thought it was a mistake. The vinegary, mustardy sauce totally doesn't work with this dish. While it was on the bottom of the plate, it did attach itself to some of the dates. Since there was no indication of the sauce on the menu, we actually sent the dish back for a new one, without the sauce. Let's hope that, with the frequent tinkering with various menu items (I'd like to see the sangria go back to its previous form as well, and understand they will be changing it again, although unclear how), the restaurant will get rid of the sauce on this dish.

I've been to the 7th Street Jaleo once since they reopened. I don't remember what we had, but I do remember being disappointed that they had dropped my favorite dish of old from their new menu: those bewitching little deep-fried codfish balls. I forget what they called them in Spanish. The waiter said if you called ahead they could make them for you, but I can't see doing that, really.

There are countless reasons why I strongly dislike the new design/atmosphere of Jaleo. But because the food is so consistently good, I won't harp on that. Except to say: food should never, EVER be served in a shoe. And tonight, our croquetas de pollo were served. In a shoe. A clear plastic shoe with red shoelaces. Granted, I was crying over delightful tapas. But I was still crying.

And so was Jesus.

I had a lovely meal at the downtown jaleo saturday night. it was my first visit to the downtown location in ages, i usually go to the crystal city one.

Our waiter was great, solicitous but not hovering, and friendly. a rundown of each dish is below:

Ferran Adria olive--i'd never had these so was excited about getting a chance to finally have them. interesting, and very good

Cono De La Serena Con Membrillo--cones of la serena cheese with quince paste--wafer thin, ethereal cones filled with a mousse of a strong cheese. the crunch of the cone versus the smooth cheese was lovely, and when you come to the bottom, with the quince paste, the play of smooth, crunchy, salty, and sweet is absolutely delicious. i wanted more of these and think they could actually be a very nice end to a meal

Ensalada De Remolacha Con Cítricos--salad of mixed greens with beets, blue cheese, pistachios and supremes of orange and grapefruit. this is a nice portion, almost enough for a light lunch. this was the one dish we had that was better pre-renovation, imho. before the beets were very flavorful, having absorbed some of the vinaigrette. these were less seasoned, and i thought that i would've liked a touch more dressing overall, though my companion thought it was fine as is.

tortilla de patatas--when we ordered this, we were asked if we want it cooked so it was creamy, as spanish prefer, or a little longer/harder as some americans prefer. we opted for the former. what we recieved was slightly creamy, the way tortillas usually are at jaleo, i'm surprised that people would want it cooked any more (and i'm someone who often finds eggs in france disturbingly underdone) very good, as always. someday i need to figure out how they get their tortillas to be so flavorful.

Setas Al Ajillo Con La Serena ---Sautéed seasonal mushrooms with la serena cheese potato purée. so good. the mushrooms were delicious, perfectly cooked and seasoned so they were intensely flavorful, and the cheese potato-puree was decadently cheesy and smooth. some people might find these and the tortilla a bit salty though.

Dátiles Con Tocino Como Hace Todo El Mundo -- fried dates wrapped in bacon served with an apple-mustard sauce. as others have mentioned, the sauce is a bit odd, almost like a pudding in texture, and the flavors seemed a bit confused, it was neither the taste of apples/sweetness or mustard came through clearly. my companion said the dates themselves were the same as always and very good.

Flan Al Estilo Tradicional De Mamá -- so good. i often dislike flan because it's too eggy in flavor, and texture, i particularly dislike the texture where it sheers cleanly, like jello. this was nothing like that. the flavor was mostly vanilla, and the texture was smooth and creamy, like there'd been a lot of cream added. it's served with orange supremes and dollops of a orange-vanilla whipped cream that is so good they really should sell it on its own as a dessert.

overall a really good night that made me wonder why i'm not at jaleo far more often.

We had a very good meal at the Penn Quarter location following the 'Zards victory over the Sixers last night. It's the first time we've dined here since the remodeling. I liked the new look, though I didn't see all of the space since we were seated by the windows facing 7th. There was a very lively crowd on hand, all of whom seemed to be having a good time -- great atmosphere.

All of the dishes we sampled were a the very least good. Our party of 4 sampled:

Escalivada Catalana. Nothing remarkable, but clean, bright flavors. Makes a nice palate refresher to accompany something richer.

Espinacas A La Catalana. Enjoyed this more than I expected, since I'm not a big fan of raisins.

Gambas con Gabardina. Shrimp on a stick! This was one of my favorites. The batter on the shrimp was light and the caper mayo had a nice zip to it.

Jamon Iberico De Bellota Fermin. I enjoyed this and its accompanying pan con tomate. But it was a splurge I don't think I'll indulge in any time soon.

Lomo de Buey con Valdeon. Cooked to the requested medium-rare, nice flavors, but not a stand-out to me.

Salpicon de Congrejo. The crab meat was excellent, but I'm not a fan of green pepper which, for me, overwhelmed the flavor of the delicate crab. Everyone else at the table enjoyed the combination.

Rossejat. Good, but not something I'd order again. It paled in comparison to the other dishes.

Pulpo a la Gallega Maestro Alfonso. I'd probably eat a roofing shingle if it had pimenton and olive oil on it (or melted cheese). I hesitated to order this but was pleased with how amazingly soft the tentacles were.

Chorizo Casero con Puree de Patates al Aceite de Oliva. This may have been in a tie among everyone at the table with the shrimp as favorite dish. The sausage had a nice texture and depth of flavor.

I started off with a "Jose's Choice" gin and tonic, which may be the best G&T I've had, both in terms of flavor and presentation. There's a bit of ceremony with this. The server brings out a tumbler containing the garnishes and a single 1-inch square ice cube, along with bottles of gin (Hendrick's) and tonic, and then "mixes" the drink at the table.

Service was friendly, helpful and efficient. Over all, a tremendously enjoyable evening.

Our first time in D.C., staying in North Bethesda, so we stopped at the Bethesda Jaleo for our first meal. After a long day of travel + sightseeing, we were too tired to pore over the menu - too many dishes! So we opted for one of the tasting menus, the least expensive (and, hopefully, least filling) one. It was $36 apiece, supplemented by 1 1/2 glasses of wine for each of us, and we found the meal - outstanding! We were served 9 courses: a 'cold pizza' with a slice of manchego on top was paired with some wonderful serrano ham; 2nd up was a calamari that was well-above average, paired next to ham fritters. "Ham fritters" sounds terribly declasse' and down-to-earth, but this dish was simply devine! Next up was the omelet with potato and onion, alongside a nicely spiced shrimp dish. And somewhere in between there was a "gazpacho shot" full of sweet peppers and other goodies. Next came a warm spinach salad, chorizo with whipped potato, and the finishing touch was an excellent flan.

Service was knowledgable, friendly and timely; the price was excellent value for what was received; what more could you ask for? If we get a chance to return there before we leave town, I'm sure I'd like to try one of the paellas on the menu.

My wife and I had a quick lunch at the Crystal City Jaleo today and they really hit it out of the park from a food and especially a service perspective.

We got a couple of "standard" dishes which are favorites of my wife:

Patatas bravas* - A Jaleo favorite with spicy tomato sauce and alioli

Buí±uelos de bacalao - Fried salt cod fritters with honey alioli

Both were their normal, yummy selves.

We tired the octopus dish below for the first time and it was really wonderful.  Very tender and lots of it.

Pulpo a la Gallega "˜Maestro Alfonso' - Boiled octopus with pee wee potatoes, pimentí³n and olive oil

For the fourth dish we were having trouble zeroing in on something.  We wanted to try something new, but got a little overwhelmed by all the choices so the waitress recommended:

Huevo frito con caviar - Fried organic egg topped with caviar

It sounded interesting and different so we got it.  Unfortunately, she came back a few minutes later and said they were out of caviar so the dish was no longer available.  We started looking through the menu again and having the same trouble as before and a few minutes later the waitress came back and said the chef felt bad about not being able to serve us the above dish and said he had two specials that he could offer us that he was trying out and that weren't on the menu yet.  One was a salad of some kind (don't remember anything other than it had arugula in it - I had a little trouble understanding her accent) and the other was a sweetbreads dish served on a bed of (I think) eggplant, tomato, peppers and possibly zucchini.  Whatever it was, we picked the sweetbreads.

We began eating the first three dishes we ordered when the waitress appeared a few minutes later with a dish complements of the chef to make up for the missing caviar dish.  It was another dish he was trying out that wasn't on the menu yet and I don't remember the exact name but it was 4 balls of blood sausage with a small dollop of an apricot(?) paste on the top and bottom.  I asked the waitress what blood sausage was because I wasn't quite sure if it was a euphemism ala sweetbreads or a more literal meaning, but she couldn't answer (English was her second language) so she called over the manager(?) and he told us.  I asked him another question about the dish and he said he didn't know because he'd never seen it before because it was just created!!

Anyhow the inside of the balls were soft and gooey and reminded me a bit of a very creamy melted cheese dip in texture but there was no cheese in it at all.  Whatever it was, it was great.  I hope it makes the permanent menu.  Here's what they looked like:

post-3390-0-49781100-1380333266_thumb.jp

A short time later the other brand spankin' new dish came - the sweetbreads on a bed of vegetables.  It was also another winner.  I would have been happy with either half.....the top half was the sweetbreads which were served "mcnugget" style.  Very smooth and creamy.  The bottom half was almost a ratatoulie that could have been served alone, on bread, over rice, as a pizza toping, as a stew, etc, etc.  Below that was a thin, neon green layer of parsley(?) broth(?).  Whatever this was, this was another winner.  The receipt called it Mollejas, and I'd get it again if it was offered.  Here's what it looked like:

post-3390-0-02225300-1380334000_thumb.jp

I have to say I was really blown away by the special treatment and the fact that they offered us a choice of 2 experimental dishes, and then comped us another unreleased dish.  They took what was a disappointing start to the meal and finished it off to where we were practically high fiving the staff on the way out.

The other thing I didn't realize about Jaleo until our chat with the manager (although it's right there on the dinner menu, but we typically only do lunch there because of work) was that they will do a custom tasting menu.  The chef will come out and talk to you about what you like and how adventurous you are and then create a custom meal for you.  This is definitely on my radar!

• Like 1