Columbus, OH

vsky

I'm surprised, after re-reading this thread, that there's no mention of Buckeye Donuts. That's another Columbus institution, and one that's a really solid option- get a plain glazed, or, like, 90 of 'em. Especially after a late-night/super early morning meal at the gloriously sketchy Hounddog's. 

Also, after spending quite a bit of time at Kafe Kerouac, I love that place. There's not much better than a super chill coffeehouse/bookstore that has great coffee-based cocktails that are incredibly well-priced, even by Midwest standards. It's also a fantastic stop before or after Hounddog's and Buckeye Donuts.

I'm surprised, after re-reading this thread, that there's no mention of Buckeye Donuts. That's another Columbus institution, and one that's a really solid option- get a plain glazed, or, like, 90 of 'em. Especially after a late-night/super early morning meal at the gloriously sketchy Hounddog's.

Also, after spending quite a bit of time at Kafe Kerouac, I love that place. There's not much better than a super chill coffeehouse/bookstore that has great coffee-based cocktails that are incredibly well-priced, even by Midwest standards. It's also a fantastic stop before or after Hounddog's and Buckeye Donuts.

We used to call buckeye donuts the "smoking donut" before the smoking ban. It was horrible to even walk past there, the smoke was so noxious. I am sure it is better now, but as somone who has walked that stretch of High Street hundreds of times in my 23 years at OSU, I have never even been tempted by buckeye donuts. I wonder if all that residual nicotine "yuk" is still lurking in places in that shop!

Anyone been to Katzingers recently? I'll be headed there with some friend tomorrow night...

Had a sandwich from the newly-opened outpost of Katzinger's in the North Market, which has a limited menu. Good meat and great pickles, but the sandwich suffered on the ride home. I think the original is the same as it always was.

A solid brisket sandwich from the original Katzingers outpost. I didn't pay close attention, but the brisket seemed chopped, or at least broken down into small pieces, so not slabs of brisket meat. Slow cooked, and very tender. Actually, I thought they had mistakenly brought me out a chopped liver sandwich from the way it looked when I first got it. Anyway, it was quite tasty. Add a side of mac salad, bag of chips, and Dr Browns, and my total was around $20, which seemed excessive, particularly given this was no over stuffed deli sandwich (which costs $3 more). Or maybe I'm just being an old crank. Bottomless pickle barrels were a nice touch! The place has the kind of menu that you'd like to work through.

We head to Columbus a few times a year for football games. The routine is typically arive in time for lunch at Katzingers or perhaps a Thurman Burger.  Last year we stopped in German Village for lunch at the Old Mohawk.

Dinner with friends at a Short North location - we've been liking the Pearl as of late, but have also hit Barrel 44 (bourbon w/ decent bar food).  The group size varies and it can be hard to predict, so we can't always get reservations at our first choice.  Always a night cap near the hotel at the Flat Iron - like the wngs quite a bit here.  We used to like the Rossi, but it became kind of awful, crowd-wise, and the mgr. was rather a jerk.  Has been a few years, but it is still always hopping.

Gameday finds us at a friend's tailgate, then a post-game pizza at Donatos (don't judge, just a left over craving from college/good place to catch other games for a bit) with the added bonus of being next to the Out-R-Inn (classic campus bar, no food).  We find our way to the Short North for a late dinner - although it is usually mobbed down there post-games (and it rather depends on kickoff times).  Another classic campus bar is the Bier Stube.

Sunday am we have brunch with the inlaws at Easton Mall (closer to the airport and convenient for them) then off to the airport.

• Like 1

If you are reading Yelp for Columbus reviews, keep an eye out for this guy - sounds like an interesting man.

Local Yelp legend Paul F. posts last review

By Lori Kurtzman

Paul G. Ferrara, 70, was a prolific Yelp reviewer. The Columbus Yelp community will hold a memorial gathering for him on Tuesday.

Paul F. once gave a gas station a five-star review for its hot dogs. He tore into a breakfast restaurant for charging him a quarter for jelly. He wrote of an enjoyable lunch at an Indian buffet, though he noted, "I don't have the foggiest idea of what I ate."  He reviewed hospitals and auto repair shops, tailors and bakers. He ate pan-seared foie gras ("If I had it to do over I'd have skipped this one") and fast-food dollar burgers ("And they weren't too bad"). He reviewed a lunchtime trip to Kohl's: "I was looking for underwear believe (it) or not. And they had just what I was looking for and the price was okay."

Paul F. had opinions. He didn't keep them to himself.

Among the online review community Yelp "” a site where users are referred to by their first names and last initials "” Paul F. was a local legend, a pioneer. In nearly six years, he wrote 929 reviews. He visited new restaurants before most people knew they existed, determined to be the first to judge. Often, he was: Paul F. wrote the inaugural Yelp review of 188 separate places.

Paul G. Ferrara, 70, of North Columbus, died on Aug. 23. The Pittsburgh native, a former computer programmer, left behind two sons and a handful of grandchildren. And all those opinions.

Local Yelpers will gather Tuesday to remember Paul F., the man who despised plastic utensils and dirty windows and loved submarine sandwiches and exclamation points. They'll meet at Fortune Chinese Restaurant on Olentangy River Road, his favorite, and eat the spicy wontons he always raved about ("You get a dozen of them and boy are they good! And spicy!").

They'll mourn their friend, the grump, the sweetheart, the unexpected champion of local businesses who nevertheless once reviewed a restaurant thusly: "I went in, took a look around and left."

Paul F. stood out on Yelp, and not just because of his prolific writing. He was an early adopter of a forum seemingly overrun by 20-something amateur critics. Paul F. was the loud, grumpy old guy, one with a swoop of thick white hair, one who quoted Garrison Keillor in his profile: "Sex is good, but not as good as fresh, sweet corn."

His reviews were short and to the point, never flashy. His first entry gave Easton steakhouse Smith & Wollensky a single star for its "overpriced food and snooty waiters."

"Paul was hilarious," said Bryant Miller, the Yelp Columbus community manager who delighted in reading Paul F. reviews. "I think that the big redeeming thing with Paul is you always knew what he meant."

Paul F. noted dirty countertops and rude teenagers. If something was wrong with the meal, he'd announce it to the waitress in the booming voice of a man whose own hearing was faltering.

"That was just Paul," said Mike Greene, a Yelper who befriended Paul F. after he recognized him one day at lunch. "You have to take Paul as he is."

When it came to reviewing his own life, Paul F. wasn't one to mince words, either. In November, after his recliner of two decades gave out, he headed to Value City Furniture (four stars) for a replacement. The discount store wasn't his first choice.

"But I knew at this stage of my life I didn't want to go high-end again," he wrote. "It's probably safe to say that I won't be around for another twenty years. Hard to admit that but it's true."

Paul F. didn't post much in August, just three reviews on the first two days of the month. Yelpers noticed. Restaurants owners noticed. Greene sent him a message: "Hey Paul...I've been watching for a new review from you...it's been three weeks now. Very odd."

Miller broke the news to Yelp on Monday.

Paul F.'s profile is still up on the site, along with all of those reviews. His last one was Aug. 2, a five-star rave of The Market Italian Village.

"It was a nice night and they had all the windows open and it was the perfect night for it," he wrote. "So the first thing I did was to roam around a bit. ...Then I grabbed a seat and ordered a (charcuterie) board and a glass of riesling and just ate and took it all in."

• Like 1

Unlike the Summer of 2014 when I went to the German Village location of Harvest Pizza, the Summer of 2015 when I spent the night in Columbus (as a resting point on a trip to Indiana), I let a price I couldn't refuse on a hotel room dictate where I stayed, and went to dinner nearby.

This year, I ended up in the Northwest quadrant of Columbus - a suburb called Dublin - and went to a tavern called The Pint Room, not really worried about the food, but wanting to unwind with a couple of brews. I love the beers available in the Midwest (Ohio, Indiana, Michigan, etc.), and the selection at The Pint Room was no exception.

People should know by now that I'm an "amber ale guy," a "Scotch ale guy," favoring malt over hops, and so I unwound with a draft of Jackie O's Firefly Amber ($6), brewed by Jackie O's Pub & Brewery in Athens, Ohio, then moved on to a tulip of the sour Cerasus Dog, a Flanders red ale brewed by Thirsty Dog Brewing Company in Akron, Ohio - I counted fully twelve taps of Thirsty Dog beers in The Pint Room, making me wonder if it has the largest selection of drafts from this brewery in the world (outside of the brewery itself). A small honor, to be sure, but an honor all the same.

About this time, I was getting hungry, but The Pint Room - known for its burgers - didn't inspire full confidence, so having already been to London Curry House (sort of) and Sweetbites Cafe and Bakery, I opted for something healthy to finish my day, and rolled the dice on The Portabella Stack ($10.50) - a "sandwich" using two slices of portabella as the "bread," and containing shiitake, zucchini, squash, red pepper, red onion (all of these grilled, most likely on a skewer), as well as some blots of very fresh mozzarella, a little arugula, and some balsamic glaze which I asked for (and got) on the side. Well, let me tell you: I just may have gotten the best thing in the house, because this was a fantastic vegetarian meal, and it was a really good call getting that balsamic glaze on the side (in a little ceramic tub), as I could control how much I wanted to add to each bite by simply using a knife and fork, and dipping my vegetables into it - just as you dip your sushi into soy sauce. Every single item in this "sandwich" was as good as it could be, the key being the mozzarella which was surprisingly fresh and delicious. I was full, but by no means stuffed, and it was the perfect order in this situation.

Knowing I'd be back at my very pleasant hotel in just a few minutes (Sonesta ES Suites, built as extended-stay lodging for business travelers, and recently remodeled at great expense), I capped off my meal with a Knob Creek 100 Rye ($6), neat, one ice cube on the side, and again came up with something of a winner - for the price, this was an excellent rye; not upscale, but solid and reliable (I had done some fancy-fingered web searching just before ordering, so I knew it would be at least "acceptable," and sure enough it was).

Well, The Pint Room isn't something that I can necessarily recommend as a dining destination, but every single thing I had here was very good, most likely because I ordered well - on the off chance you find yourself here, I encourage you to try the Portabella Stack, and go exploring with their extensive selection of Midwestern beers.

This year, I ended up in the Northwest quadrant of Columbus - a suburb called Dublin - and went to a tavern called The Pint Room, not really worried about the food, but wanting to unwind with a couple of brews. I love the beers available in the Midwest (Ohio, Indiana, Michigan, etc.), and the selection at The Pint Room was no exception.

People should know by now that I'm an "amber ale guy," a "Scotch ale guy," favoring malt over hops, and so I unwound with a draft of Jackie O's Firefly Amber ($6), brewed by Jackie O's Pub & Brewery in Athens, Ohio, then moved on to a tulip of the sour Cerasus Dog, a Flanders red ale brewed by Thirsty Dog Brewing Company in Akron, Ohio - I counted fully twelve taps of Thirsty Dog beers in The Pint Room, making me wonder if it has the largest selection of drafts from this brewery in the world (outside of the brewery itself). A small honor, to be sure, but an honor all the same.

Well, The Pint Room isn't something that I can necessarily recommend as a dining destination, but every single thing I had here was very good, most likely because I ordered well - on the off chance you find yourself here, I encourage you to try the Portabella Stack, and go exploring with their extensive selection of Midwestern beers.

Let me know the next time you are here! You made a good choice in a wasteland area.

It is an excellent time to be a beer drinker in Columbus. Local (Ohio, Midwest) offerings are flooding the market, and some are very, very good. Jackie O's isn't my favorite. The Scotch ales from Barley's, one of earliest entrants to the local brew scene, are excellent. We are blessed with Seventh Sons, Wolf's Ridge, Four Strings, Land Grant, Barley's, Columbus Brewing...I am sure I am forgetting others...and that's what's being brewed IN Columbus. One of the pleasures of spending 25 years here is experiencing the growth of the craft beer industry here, and watching how bars and restaurants have embraced it by using beer in recipes and with beer pairings.

Assuming you drive due West on 1-70 to get to Bloomington, you really owe it to yourself, on one of your trips, to take the short detour just East of Dayton to The Winds, in Yellow Springs, one of the true gems in the area.

• Like 1

We went to a wedding in Charleston (WV) recently where, due to schedule changes from US Airways that resulted in moving our previously nonstop Charleston flight to the prior night and routing our return flight through Charlotte, we canceled our ticket and flew direct to Columbus (only a two-hour drive to where the wedding was taking place) instead.

This gave us a chance to experience Nashville-style chicken at Hot Chicken Takeover on the upper level of North Market downtown.  Perfectly fried, quite spicy but not unbearably so -- you can specify the heat level, we picked regular hot.  They offer free sweet tea and ranch dressing to boot.

The morning of our flight home, we drove out of our way to Young's Jersey Dairy in Yellow Springs, already covered in this thread.  Their strawberry milkshake likely ranks in my top 2-3 ever.  I went here for the first time in 2001 on a post-bar exam road trip visiting baseball stadiums in the Midwest.  The following year, rather than fly to Chicago for a friend's wedding like normal people would, I drove 7 hours here because it was theoretically "on the way."  So basically anytime I'm remotely near central OH, this place is a must-visit.  And the milkshake was as good as I remembered.  We also squeezed in a round of miniature golf and I managed a hole-in-one on a par 3!

• Like 1

For anyone near downtown Columbus on a Wednesday...at the Convention Center, the big new Hilton on N. High, or headed to downtown from the OSU campus...or anyone who likes beer and a bargain...

PINT HOUSE. http://www.shortnorthpinthouse.com

The deal is a 1/2 roasted chicken and a can of beer...and the cans are largely local offerings (North High, Jackie O's, Rhinegest) for $10. The chicken had a gloriously crackly skin with meat that was juicy in the thickest parts and is served with a pile of thick fries. This is a good meal, practically great for this area which has devolved into mediocrity, and a fantastic value. A full meal AND a good beer for $10. Wednesdays only.

Between downtown (to the south) and the Ohio State Campus (to the north), the Short North area along High Steet has been known as THE place to dine and drink in the Cbus. It's changing, becoming more corporate as rents skyrocket and local entrepreneurs are driven to less-gentrified areas. Some of this is bad, obviously. We've lost some favorites, such as Rigsby's and Betty's. But we've gained a shiny new boutique hotel, the Joseph, which displays some of the amazing art collection of the developer, Ron Pizzuti.

Attached to The Joseph is the Guild House, the latest concept from our own Cameron Mitchell. I have eaten at Cameron's restaurants since he had just one. He seems to be a genuinely nice guy who works incredibly hard. His restaurants tend to be well-managed, with competent staffs. A common hallmark of the Cameron Mitchell empire is the generous happy hour deals. There is usually a half-priced deal on wine, beer, many cocktails and some food. Which brings me to the Guild House. If you find yourself in the Short North, or even better, checked in to the Joseph, go. Happy hour runs from 3-7, M-F. Yes, four hours. All raw items (oysters, sashimi), snacks and starters are half off, along with most alcohol. It's a great deal. Good wines at $14 a glass can be enjoyed for $7, which is cheaper than the plonk offered for $1 off at happy hours up and down the block. Starters include hamachi and lamb chops and veal cheeks. There's a lot to like. The bar is small, and fills up quickly, but at 3:30, it is a serene and grown-up oasis.

http://theguildhousecolumbus.com/

• Like 1

I had some excellent tacos at Condado. $3-$4 a piece, large, overstuffed. For the shell, my friend suggested the Sweet Lucy, which include a soft and crunchy shell, guac and cheese...and that's just the tortilla! But you gotta have the crunch and something soft to hold it all. I got chicken, chorizo, and pulled pork, all very tasty. Th y have all kids of toppings and salsas. I'd be a regular here if I lived in Columbus, even tho the music was a bit too loud for my taste.

I was in Columbus about 3 years ago for a Conference at the Convention center.  After discovering it, I ate every meal that trip at the North Market.  I cannot recommend at least visiting it highly enough.  Most of my free time that trip was spent perusing the shelves at North Market Spices.  The market included everything from Belgian Waffles, to perogies, BBQ chicken, Pho, and too some damn good bread as well.  My greatest regret was that I did not have more meals to spend exploring the market!

• Like 1

Update on the north market:  there is now a lovely vegetarian option there called little eater which turns out some tasty and inexpensive food.  Also, Columbus changed a law, and now you can buy a beer or a glass of wine and sip while strolling.  Also, you can buy food from one of the vendors, and take it into the wine store, and sit and order a drink.  It is one of my favorite places in Columbus to have lunch! 

One Friday I popped into the North market for spices, and decided to have a beer.  While I was there, the folks from the seafood market brought over a platter of shucked raw oysters, and the employees at the wine store shared the oysters with all the customers drinking at the counter.  A lovely moment in my neighborhood!

• Like 1

I'll be leaving Columbus in a few months, and I'm trying to get back to some of my favorites.  El Arepazo  is a three restaurant minichain owned by a Venezuelan man (and employing many people from that part of the world) serving delicious and inexpensive food in non-pretentious surroundings.  I had dinner tonight with a friend, and the food was as bright and tasty as ever. 

A decent glass of Argentinian Malbec at the bar is seven dollars for a generous pour.  We split two apps (whole toasted little potatoes   With citrus, and skewers of beef).  My friend had a  steak dish, which had a lot of bell peppers and onions and looked delicious.  I had shredded beef on a corn cake topped with lots of beautiful greens, and avocado, and melted cheese, and their addictive fabulous hot green sauce.  Two appetizers, two entrées, one glass of wine = $50 before tip. 

The brewery district/German Village location is right on the C-bus route, the free bus line that runs through downtown.  So if you are staying downtown or in the short north, it is an easy matter to come here by bus on High Street, and then return by bus or Uber back.  European soccer games are playing on the television in the bar area.  Servers are bilingual and friendly. It draws a diverse crowd of happy people eating huge portions of food.  There's a small patio for when the weather is fine. 

Highly recommended if you are spending a few days in Columbus and would like to experience Venezuelan/Peruvian food.  Also, there is a very cool jazz club right across the street called Notes.  So you can have a delicious dinner and then cross the street and hear great music.

http://elarepazolatingrill.com/

• Like 1

So in my continuing quest to visit Columbus favorites before I leave, I took advantage of a freaky, record-breaking spring day yesterday to walk a bit outside my 'hood. Lunch and beer at Seventh Son Brewery  is about the best way ever to kill a few hours on a gorgeous Friday afternoon. 

http://seventhsonbrewing.com/

This place is a bit off of the beaten path, though it is a really easy drive or Uber from campus or downtown, and s brief walk from the Short North Arts district.  The neighborhood seems a little sketchy, but it is rapidly gentrifying, and is perfectly safe during the day, and pretty safe at night if you don't wander too far afield.

The brewery has a rotating schedule of food trucks, and I was fortunate that yesterday Moes barbecue was serving lunch.  I saw someone eating chicken wings, and she was clearly enjoying them. She leaned in to her companion saying "these are the best f*<king wings I've ever had."  Sold! The wings are smoked, then possibly grilled, though they did not have a grill marks, but the outside was kind of dry with a bit of a bite.  The smoke flavor was lovely, and the chipotle mango dipping sauce was very spicy, and a great complement to the smoke.  I saw lots of people getting the pulled pork sandwich, which looked pretty awesome for six dollars.

Seventh Son was one of the more leading edge participants in the booming Columbus microbrew scene.  When they opened in a former auto repair shop, the neighborhood was much worse than it is now, and they took a bit of a risk.  The beers cover the spectrum from very low ABV to quite high, and multiple different styles.  I tend to stick to the lower ABV pilsners, witts and ales.  Many offerings are seasonal, so the selection changes frequently.  Yesterday they were offering a lobster Ale, and they told me they buy their lobsters from Maine packed in seaweed!  It sounded disgusting to me, but the guy next to me who ordered it said it was really pleasant.

This place has two large patios, and is going to expand to an empty lot next-door to create a bigger production facility.  The location on kind of a drab busy street, and the food truck parked outside, seems scruffy at first glance.  It is a very clean, friendly, casual place that caters to a diverse crowd.  Older guys in suits share picnic tables with tattooed hipsters.  They even have a large event space. 

If you have time to kill in Columbus, and you are near campus or downtown, and you want some really interesting beer with tasty food, they actually even have their own parking lot! Go!

10 hours ago, Ericandblueboy said:

Stopping in Columbus on the way home from Chicago with my kids.  Staying near OSU/Hofbrauhaus.  Do I just eat lots of sausages or is there anything unique or uniquely delicious in Columbus?  I scanned Eater's essential and didn't come away with any inspirations. 

I lived in Ohio for 26 years, and you can do a lot better than Hofbrauhaus, which is a chain. In that particular part of town, which is called Grandview, La Tavola is a charming, independent Italian restaurant with good to great food. 3rd and Hollywood (named for the intersection of the two streets) has a nice atmosphere and a somewhat limited menu of well executed American food. Aab is (or was) really solid northern Indian. 
if you want to drive a tad farther, and get a little bit closer to Ohio State, I would recommend that you find a place to park in the short north, which runs along high Street from the convention center to campus. Walk along High Street with your kids, where there are dozens of places to eat, and choose something that appeals. 
There are really delicious food stalls in the Columbus North Market, which is not far from where you are staying, just south of the main businesses of High Street.
I recommend Hoyos, for Momos and other delicious African foods. Columbus has a large, robust Somali community. These kinds of foods are rather unique for the area.  Just check the hours because I don’t think all of the North Market merchants stay open for dinner.
On the second floor of the North market is a beloved local institution called hot chicken takeover. Delicious Nashville style hot fried chicken. 
Unless you really want mediocre, mass-produced sausages, stay away from Hofbrauhaus. 

Edited by dcandohio
To add detail.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1