Gin

Well if you are saying that you are now carrying it, that is indeed good news, but since I have a bottle on my shelf, I don't know if it is "pants wettingly good news"*.

*The American availability of Blackwoods would be exciting enough to need a change of drawers.

Well if you are saying that you are now carrying it, that is indeed good news, but since I have a bottle on my shelf, I don't know if it is "pants wettingly good news"*.

It is if you knew what I had to go through to get it :lol:

Blackwoods is still pending. Hopefully, good news this fall.

I think it says something about the revival of the cocktail craft and the emergence of the boutique spirits sector, that this thread hasn't seen any traffic in nearly 4.5 years!

In any case, Tanqueray is set to revive their Malacca gin on Feb 4 with a limited edition release of 9,000 cases. Those of us who looked fruitlessly for dusty bottles can finally rejoice.

There is a hook, of course, than that is the Tanqueray Ginstitute facebook survey which purports to influence how the product is distributed geographically. Industry professionals can participate here; the rest of us hoi polloi will have to watch from the sidelines:
https://www.facebook.com/TanquerayGinstitute?sk=app_190322544333196&app_data

Before you get too excited, keep in mind that the need to locate an Old Tom substitute has passed, now that Hayman's and others are available in this market.

Also as long as we're on the gin thread, hey Jake, what can you tell us about the forthcoming Deptford Navy Strength from Haus Alpenz?

It's not forthcoming! Royal Dock of Deptford Navy Strength Gin, a pepper bomb of a 57% abv dry gin, has been available in DC for 6 months. It's a Hayman family recipe from the 1860s, and it's (full disclosure blah blah blah) delicious. I like it best in a 50/50 Martini with Dolin rouge (full disclosure blah blah blah) vermouth, and orange bitters. Also makes an excellent gin tonic.

In any case, Tanqueray is set to revive their Malacca gin on Feb 4 with a limited edition release of 9,000 cases. Those of us who looked fruitlessly for dusty bottles can finally rejoice.

I thought that the appearance of Grand Marnier Cherry (known everywhere else in the world as Cherry Marnier) was the best spirit news I had heard of in the past year, but that is nothing compared to this. If it becomes available anywhere within three hour drive I might have to buy a case.

I think it says something about the revival of the cocktail craft and the emergence of the boutique spirits sector, that this thread hasn't seen any traffic in nearly 4.5 years!

I have tasting notes on 40+ gins (each alone, as a G&T, and a Martini), but as they are "devoid of warmth" (unlike many of those wonderfully tasty gins - like the fantastic sipworthy gin from Caorunn) they will need to find another home.

In the "shameless self-promotion" deparment, for anyone who missed it, here's Jason Wilson's recent discussion of Navy-strength gins, which was interesting and informative:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/food/2013/02/11/20d52136-716c-11e2-ac36-3d8d9dcaa2e2_story.html

D.C. currently has four NSG's: Hayman's "Royal Dock of Detford", Plymouth, Perry's Tot, and Leopold Brothers. It would be fun to do a side-by-side comparisson to glean any differences between them.

Having also tasted some excellent gins in Scotland (by far the best was Thompson Brothers gin, which is unlikely to make it here to the USA, I am expecting). We did manage to find one we like called Sipsmith (a London distillery). But the one eluding me at the moment that I'd hoped to score here in the states was Isle of Harris gin - it is quite good.

Any thoughts where I might find a shop with super excellent gin selection?

On 6/10/2018 at 5:47 PM, Pool Boy said:

Having also tasted some excellent gins in Scotland (by far the best was Thompson Brothers gin, which is unlikely to make it here to the USA, I am expecting). We did manage to find one we like called Sipsmith (a London distillery). But the one eluding me at the moment that I'd hoped to score here in the states was Isle of Harris gin - it is quite good.

Any thoughts where I might find a shop with super excellent gin selection?

Apparently you can only buy Isle of Harris gin at the distillery or online order (shippable only to the UK). BOOOOOO!

I was looking for an obscure- for me- gin called G'vine, and the Total Wine website says they have it at Laurel.  I haven't been to it, but might be worth a call to see what they have?  If it happens to be at a DC liquor store if you happen to see it while perusing let me know.  I have no hope that it will ever be at a VA ABC store.