Movie Concessions

MelGold

Even though two huge blockbusters have already set & broken box office records this year, the Summer Blockbuster season officially begins this weekend. I have my tickets in hand for Pirates III - forget whether it's critically acclaimed or not! My staple during the summer season is a bucket of buttered popcorn and a side of Sour Patch Kids with a big icy Coke...no, it's not all for me. What do you eat in the dark while watching the best Hollywood special effects houses have to offer?

While technically not movie concessions, when I'm laughing my ass off at an improv show at the Comedy Spot (I go at least twice a week), I enjoy a box of pecan chocolate chip cookies and a pomegranate soda from their concession stand. $4. Not a bad deal, given that $4 at a movie theater would buy me two kernels of popcorn and a cubic attoparsec of soda. Plus, unlike at a movie, you're encouraged to tell the characters what to do. ;)

... bucket of buttered popcorn and a side of Sour Patch Kids with a big icy Coke...

Exactly my order, but you must remember to ask them to layer the butter! This means less shaking the bag to distribute the butter, but it also gets you a fresh bag if they've pre-filled them and stuck them under the heat lamp.

stomach ache inducing.........
If you factor in at least 2 people consuming this over a period of 3 1/2 hours...figuring that you have to get there early to ensure you aren't sitting in front of a bunch of noisy kids or the people making out the whole time, 30 minutes of previews and then the feature which tonight will run approximately 2 hours & 15 minutes at least. Most people finish an 18 course tasting menu in the same amount of time (and that's a whole lot more calories!)

If you factor in at least 2 people consuming this over a period of 3 1/2 hours...figuring that you have to get there early to ensure you aren't sitting in front of a bunch of noisy kids or the people making out the whole time, 30 minutes of previews and then the feature which tonight will run approximately 2 hours & 15 minutes at least. Most people finish an 18 course tasting menu in the same amount of time (and that's a whole lot more calories!)

Wasn't criticizing... sorry if it was taken that way

Wasn't criticizing... sorry if it was taken that way
It wasn't. I used to think it was a huge amount of junk...then I realized there's a reason the theater offers refills on their giant popcorn. ;)

Happy Memorial Day, everyone!

In order of preference--

Goldenberg's Peanut Chews - shocking that they aren't available in my local theater

Popcorn, no butter (or rather no butter flavoring)

Twizzlers -- Red Vines are not an acceptable substitute

Medium (hot) popcorn and a box of M&Ms or Milk Duds.

Then, I pour the candy into the bag of popcorn, let it melt for a few minutes, then I dive in.

Salt and sweet together... so perfect.

Oh, and a bottle of water which I bring myself in my large handbag.

My favorite theater has a diverse menu, but I usually go for a medium popcorn with layered real butter (healthier than the usual fake stuff) and a small Sierra Mist. I'd rather have Coke, but they don't serve it, and I don't like Pepsi. Mr. usually gets a large layered buttered popcorn. I have had their baba ganoush and hummus, which were pretty good for a movie theater.

BTW, the butter dispenser is DIY, and the concession staff are great about filling the containers halfway, giving them to us to add butter, and then topping them off.

We're going tomorrow, and I can't wait.

My favorite concession is to get tickets for a movie at Shirlington, and bring in takeout from THAI, in the Shirlington strip. We have never been questioned about this since it could be leftovers. It freaked out my kids and their friends the first time we did it when they were along, but now they think it is fun. We do not get anything messy - generally pad thai and other dishes easy to eat.