Fresh Figs

ftranfa

I have 8 varieties of figs, most of them have been in the ground 2 years-this year, the only ones that produced any ripe fruit were Sandy's Strawberry Verte ( Battaglia Green) & Violette de Negronne. I grow them because I like the way they look, sort of tropical, & I was thrilled when I ate a Strawberry Verte this year & loved it! This tree, after light pruning in the spring, has grown like it's on steroids & may have to be moved (it's shading out my palms). The Violette de Negronne is a compact tree, w/ dark, luscious fruit.

Figs are pretty easy to grow from cuttings, many people take cuttings now, & store them, wrapped in moist paper towels & ziploc bags over the winter & try to root them in spring, starting them either in perlite, water, or soil. They like a sunny, protected spot, don't need much water, once they're established, & even if they don't bear, are very nice looking plants...

OK, I know it's not fresh figs, but I have to give a plug for fig flavored Vincotto. Crazy delicious, this stuff is. I use it instead of balsamic for many applications, from vinaigrettes to drizzling over fresh fruit or vanilla ice cream. The fig flavored variety makes me giggle out loud with happy. Available at Cheesetique and lots of gourmet stores.

Amazon link to the goods