Legal Sea Foods, A Massachusetts Seafood Chain near Capital One Area and at Reagan National Airport,

Lunch today at Legal Sea Foods in Montgomery Mall. My companion and I agreed that the servings seemed fresher and more substantial than equivalent fare at the K St LSF. We also like the one at the airport and are neutral about the one on Rte 1. Yes, I know it all arrives from Boston on the same truck, but the outlets are so different that it doesn't seem like a chain.

I had a dozen cherrystones with LSF's unique mignonette sauce -- green, tart and chunky, miles better than that awful ketchup-based stuff. I would gladly buy a jarfull if it were available. The clams were fair-sized and shucked to retain the fluid. They were tasty but I'm not sure I prefer them to the top necks I get at Sea Catch.

Then I had grilled scallops with couscous, a green salad and Boston cream pie.

Everything was good, and FWIW the waitress was really pretty. She packed me up a container of the mignonette, which I will traitorously carry with me to Sea Catch next time.

Lunch today at Legal Sea Foods in Montgomery Mall. My companion and I agreed that the servings seemed fresher and more substantial than equivalent fare at the K St LSF. We also like the one at the airport and are neutral about the one on Rte 1. Yes, I know it all arrives from Boston on the same truck, but the outlets are so different that it doesn't seem like a chain.

I had a dozen cherrystones with LSF's unique mignonette sauce -- green, tart and chunky, miles better than that awful ketchup-based stuff. I would gladly buy a jarfull if it were available. The clams were fair-sized and shucked to retain the fluid. They were tasty but I'm not sure I prefer them to the top necks I get at Sea Catch.

Then I had grilled scallops with couscous, a green salad and Boston cream pie.

Everything was good, and FWIW the waitress was really pretty. She packed me up a container of the mignonette, which I will traitorously carry with me to Sea Catch next time.

I took my family to the Legal Sea Foods at Tyson's on Saturday, May 9. In the past my experiences have been much like Stephen's. This was one of my favorite seafood places in the area, and while some of the Boston-area restaurants had fresher fish, these were still better than most of the competition.

But for whatever reason, the Tyson's store really dropped the ball on Saturday. The server got the orders wrong, and the replacements arrived long after the rest of the table had finished eating. This would have been bad enough, but these things do happen. What was worse is that the wood-grilled fish orders were uniformly overcooked to the point they were dry and crumbly. My scallops were so overcooked they were charred completely black. The shrimp was like rubber. If it had been just me, I'd have figured that the kitchen wasn't handling the replacement of the wrong order very well, but it happened to everyone who got the wood-grilled fish.

They did remove my dish from the bill, but the manager seemed sufficiently unconcerned that I was basically blown off. A note to the company has so far been ignored.

Now, I know that the Legal Sea Foods restaurants in Boston continue to be great, and the last time I ate at one in DC, it was just fine. I suspect that this particular location has a problem in the kitchen, but I plan to stay away until they have time to work it out. I really don't need another scallop that looks more like charcoal than shellfish.

Meanhwhile, Red Lobster looks like a seafood nirvanna by comparison.

I should add that some items, meaning the items that weren't done on the grill, were fine. The raw oysters were really nice, and the white burgundy we had with the meal was perfect. And while the fried calimari wasn't as good as a couple of places I know on the west coast of Italy, that's hardly an indictment.

But the management team needs to spend some time with the operators of the wood grill pointing out that fish and shellfish should be edible after they finish.

Wayne Rash

Meanhwhile, Red Lobster looks like a seafood nirvanna by comparison.

I've got to stop you there. The only reason I'd ever go into a Red Lobster is for those cheddar biscuits, and they're not even that fantastic.

There's a Red Lobster in Downtown Silver Spring, and I'm constantly dumbfounded by the crowds it gets.

(this is going to be split off now, isn't it?)

I've got to stop you there. The only reason I'd ever go into a Red Lobster is for those cheddar biscuits, and they're not even that fantastic.

There's a Red Lobster in Downtown Silver Spring, and I'm constantly dumbfounded by the crowds it gets.

(this is going to be split off now, isn't it?)

Well, that was just in comparison to dinner that night at the Tyson's Legal Sea Foods. Note that I didn't actually suggest that someone should EAT at Red Lobster. I would never do that. I do have some standards. Low ones, perhaps, but standards none the less.

On the other hand, it might be just me. I've been having a bad run of luck on seafood lately. Got violently ill at the McCormack and Schmicks in San Jose a little while ago. The hotel had to send for people.

Maybe I should try Long John Silver. No danger there since there's no evidence it contains any actual seafood.

Wayne Rash

Legal's Boston restaurants have a different menu. And not only are they a different experience but they are better. Here, I would focus on Black's on MacArthur and Kinkead's.

But it bears mention that, at least as of a couple years ago, Legal had a better and more fairly priced wine list than either BlackSalt or Kinkead's - a shining example of corporate buying power benefitting the consumer. It was, without any question, the greatest wine list of any major restaurant chain in the United States. (And it may still be - I haven't checked in a long time. On a related note, a trusted (but not 100% guaranteed) source tells me that Kinkead's has eliminated the position of Wine Director, which, if true, is stunning news flying very quietly under the radar...)

Cheers,

Rocks.

Legal's Boston restaurants have a different menu. And not only are they a different experience but they are better. Here, I would focus on Black's on MacArthur and Kinkead's.

I haven't been to Black's, but there's no question of the excellence of Kinkead's. However, Kinkead's is all the way downtown, and Legal is out here in the 'burbs. Thus, considering my past experience, the reason for the shorter drive. Next time, I'll just make the trek into the wilds of Downtown DC.

But it bears mention that, at least as of a couple years ago, Legal had a better and more fairly priced wine list than either BlackSalt or Kinkead's - a shining example of corporate buying power benefitting the consumer. It was, without any question, the greatest wine list of any major restaurant chain in the United States. (And it may still be - I haven't checked in a long time. On a related note, a trusted (but not 100% guaranteed) source tells me that Kinkead's has eliminated the position of Wine Director, which, if true, is stunning news flying very quietly under the radar...)

Cheers,

Rocks.

LSF still has a good and fairly priced wine list. We had a decent French white Burgundy for under $30.00. Most places you can't get Sutter Home white zin for under $30.

WR

On the other hand, it might be just me. I've been having a bad run of luck on seafood lately. Got violently ill at the McCormack and Schmicks in San Jose a little while ago. The hotel had to send for people.

Maybe I should try Long John Silver. No danger there since there's no evidence it contains any actual seafood.

Nope, not you Wayne. In the past years when I did go to Legal Sea Foods, Tyson's was on the ix-nay list after the first attempt. Bad service, horrible food, the works. Blech. In this area, of the three I've tried, Crystal City's location is the best, followed by Chinatown DC. Crystal City's service is nice, fish tastes fine, as well as the raw oysters, when I've had them. The caveat is that the last time I've been to the CC location was two years ago, I think.

On the other hand, there's an LJS on Broad St, near WFC metro, if you're game...

Let me know how those $2.99 buttered "lobster" bites are.
I just saw that commercial - It said "Real Lobster" for 2.99 - lol

Reminds me of a tourist town in PA I was in last weekend - We passed a restaurant that had a sign -"KOBE BEEF TENDERLOIN" $ 9.99

Sure sounds like the real thing to me - lol

I haven't been to Black's, but there's no question of the excellence of Kinkead's. However, Kinkead's is all the way downtown, and Legal is out here in the 'burbs. Thus, considering my past experience, the reason for the shorter drive. Next time, I'll just make the trek into the wilds of Downtown DC.

What about Passion Fish in Reston or Coastal Flats in Fairfax next time you don't feel like driving downtown?

I recently ate at the Legal Seafood at the airport and had a fine meal. The clam chowder was as good as its reputation, and the fried scallops were nicely seasoned and cooked appropriately. I will say that what bothered me was that I was still eating my chowder when the scallops were brought over to me, resulting in them sitting there for 5 mins until I was ready to switch plates. Also, it would have been nice to have at least two minutes between courses, as I wasn't in a rush to catch a plane and made no indication that I was.

I recently ate at the Legal Seafood at the airport and had a fine meal. The clam chowder was as good as its reputation, and the fried scallops were nicely seasoned and cooked appropriately. I will say that what bothered me was that I was still eating my chowder when the scallops were brought over to me, resulting in them sitting there for 5 mins until I was ready to switch plates. Also, it would have been nice to have at least two minutes between courses, as I wasn't in a rush to catch a plane and made no indication that I was.

I have found that while dining at airports, you must tell them if you want your courses paced. The assumption is that you need to get out quickly.

What about Passion Fish in Reston or Coastal Flats in Fairfax next time you don't feel like driving downtown?

My daughter tells me that Coastal Flats is quite good, but my one attempt to eat there required a long wait, and I gave up. I haven't tried Passion Fish, but I almost did the night we went to LSF. I wish now that I had.

Wayne Rash

Another good reason to try those places instead of LSF.

My older daughter (who is trying to join this group, but has yet to be confirmed) tells me about one other thing I didn't know. She told the server, the manager and everyone else she could find that she is highly allergic to dairy products. We're not talking about lactose intolerance here, but a real allergy. She was assured that they took food allergies very seriously and would make sure that there was no dairy in her meal.

Guess what?

There was dairy in her meal. She's suffering the consequences now. She promises that once Don lets her in, she'll fill everyone in on the gory details.

She agrees that we should have gone to Coastal Flats. sigh.

Wayne Rash

My daughter tells me that Coastal Flats is quite good, but my one attempt to eat there required a long wait, and I gave up. I haven't tried Passion Fish, but I almost did the night we went to LSF. I wish now that I had.

Wayne Rash

Yes, they can have a very long wait. They should have call ahead seating, though. You can call at like 6 for an hour wait, hang out at home for 45 minutes, then go.

Yes, they can have a very long wait. They should have call ahead seating, though. You can call at like 6 for an hour wait, hang out at home for 45 minutes, then go.

You are, of course, correct. My daughter reminded me of this by instant message as soon as she saw the post. So as she also reminds me, I have no excuse.

Wayne Rash

In my original post on this topic, I made an assertion that my meal at Legal Sea Foods at Tyson's Corner made Red Lobster look like seafood nirvanna by comparison.

Now, in the interests of full disclosure, I should point out that I've been technology writer for many years, and I've reviewed products and services for the entire time. However, I'm not a professional restaurant reviewer. Still, I know that when I make an assertion, I need to be able to back it up with actual research.

So now I've done that, and in the process probably committed some sort of heresy.

I went to Red Lobster. I had dinner. The world didn't end.

In fact, the wood grilled fish at Red Lotster is actually far better than the equivalent product at Legal Sea Foods in Tyson's Corner. I had the grilled haddock, which was perfectly cooked. It was clearly fresh, it was moist and flaky. It tasted of the wood over which it was grilled. It might be Red Lobster, but the fish was cooked properly, and it tasted good.

My wife had the wood grilled shellfish. The scallops were slightly more done than I like, but I like them pretty rare. The shrimp were cooked exactly right. Both were clearly fresh, there were no off flavors, no over-seasoning.

The fried food may be what buys your cardiologist his Mercedes, but the grilled fish isn't bad.

OK. Go ahead and yell at me. But they're beating the pants off of LSF.

Wayne Rash

I confess I haven't been to Legal in many years, but I can't imagine you're talking about the same over-rated fast-food joint I went to (yes, in Boston) severla times back in the day. All the atmosphere of a college cafeteria, food coming out reandomly ("when it's done, so it's still hot." No, so you don't have to hire cooks who know how to time an oreder) and almost always overdone, then the hustle to get you out so brusque and obvious that it makes McDonalds seem relaxed.

It's hard to imagine that going national made it more hospitable. Has it changed?

Admittedly, a good wine list, though.

I confess I haven't been to Legal in many years, but I can't imagine you're talking about the same over-rated fast-food joint I went to (yes, in Boston) severla times back in the day. All the atmosphere of a college cafeteria, food coming out reandomly ("when it's done, so it's still hot." No, so you don't have to hire cooks who know how to time an oreder) and almost always overdone, then the hustle to get you out so brusque and obvious that it makes McDonalds seem relaxed.

It's hard to imagine that going national made it more hospitable. Has it changed?

Admittedly, a food wine list, though.

That does not describe any meal I've ever had at Legal, Boston or DC. Maybe they had a different focus when you were there, and have changed. I've always had well prepared meals, not rushed (unless I'm eating at the airport location), pleasant service, serviceable wine list.

After numerous meals at LSF Tysons, I gave up in December trying to convince myself it was worth the frustration. The room has all the appeal of an airport waiting room but the chowder and several grilled entrees were the basis of my self-delusion in returning. The wine list offers, as Rocks notes, a very nice selection at reasonable prices.

But the LSF Tysons service was so consistently inept and oblivious - wrong orders, missing items, ice tea glasses sitting empty for ten minutes despite repeated request - that I don't intend to return. That said, the Reagan Airport branch is a welcome relief. Yes, service is rushed but my experiences have been mostly positive as a beleagured passenger. I lived in Boston for three years in the late 90's and found the food quality and management of the Chesnut Hill LSF far above LSF Tysons.

I have also scratched Coastal Flats off my list. I have no problem with the Great Am Rest philosophy but the quality of the entrees became inversely related to the price escalation - more expensive mediocrity. Last time there, the daily special came out unrecognizeable. Halibut atop a slice of rye bread(!) submerged in a brown sugary sauce. Nothing like the description of a Mediterrean tapande. My companion's dish was also mediocre. Prior visits were equally unimpressive. Personally, I do not think CF is worth the wait.

BTW, Clyde's is running a halibut special this month. I thought the halibut was plated nicely and the quality quite good. As a pleasant suprise, the service at the Tysons branch was professional and friendly.

So I got a call yesterday from the new manager at the Tyson's Legal Seafood. She was unaware of the sentiment that the grilled fish wasn't worth eating, and that the rest of the menu left a lot to be desired. She did tell me that she's just taken over as the manager, but didn't elaborate on why.

She did apologize for the problems with dinner and says she will send me a gift certificate so I can try again.

She also asked that if any of us eats there, we should provide feedback as to the problems. She's trying to make the restaurant better, but says it's hard to do without help.

She did say that she was almost afraid to call me after my note on the LSF comment page. She was afraid that I'd yell at her. I don't yell at restaurant managers, and I explained that. However I did stress that whoever is responsible for cooking the food I needed to learn how to cook fish. I pointed out that I'd had better grilled fish at Red Lobster, a comment she found somewhat painful. I also mentioned that I'd gone to Coastal Flats a few days ago.

I have no idea whether the Tyson't LSF will be able to get its act together, but at least the new manager is aware of the problem. I have a feeling that her predecessor didn't know or care.

Wayne Rash

Here's a follow-up on the Legal Sea Foods item I reported on a few days ago.

Today I got a very nice note from JaAnne O'Neill, Manager, Guest Services for LSF corporate. She apologized for the unfortunate meal, enclosed a gift certificate suggesting that I try again, and expressed her concern about the problems. She said that she takes my concerns very seriously.

It didn't sound like a form letter, and it was even hand-written.

Sounds like maybe they're trying to get this eatery back on track.

Wayne Rash

I have no idea whether the Tyson't LSF will be able to get its act together, but at least the new manager is aware of the problem.
Sounds like maybe they're trying to get this eatery back on track.

It sounds to me like they have their act together already, and that it's very much on track. The gracious actions of Ms. O'Neill make me want to give Legal Sea Foods in Tysons Corner my business sooner rather than later.

Cheers,

Rocks.

It sounds to me like they have their act together already, and that it's very much on track. The gracious actions of Ms. O'Neill make me want to give Legal Sea Foods in Tysons Corner my business sooner rather than later.

Cheers,

Rocks.

So does anyone who has been to LSF lately know if it's safe to go back into the water? And if it is, which LSF would be the best chance at a good meal? I don't want to repeat the Tyson's experience again.

Wayne Rash

These chains are pretty interchangeable, I was about to say that I have had nice service in Bethesda and then realized that in Bethesda by my office is M&S not Legal.

Legal Seafood - There is one in Montgomery Mall, that has better than average mall food. Not great but better than average.

I've found the National Airport branch always good. The family and I had dinner there last night. The Kumamoto oysters were succulent, cucumbery and cleanly shucked. The steamed lobster was also excellent.

And of course that's the one that's going to close.

Wayne Rash

And of course that's the one that's going to close.

Wayne Rash

Are you saying this as a known fact? Did I miss something upthread? I always liked stopping by to pick up some chowder in the winter, so I hope you're just engaging in some good NY-style cynicism. :rolleyes:

Are you saying this as a known fact? Did I miss something upthread? I always liked stopping by to pick up some chowder in the winter, so I hope you're just engaging in some good NY-style cynicism. :rolleyes:

No cynicism. No certainty. Click

There was a story in the Post a week or two ago. Something about a dispute over the lease for the DCA location, and another restaurant is going in its place, reportedly Sam & Harry's. Legal is suing the airport. Here's the story from the Washington Business Journal: http://washington.bizjournals.com/washington/blog/top_shelf/2009/07/legal_sea_foods_to_take_flight_from_reagan.html

I really hope the DCA location doesn't close. My bf and I are in a long distance relationship and when time permits, I like to accompany him to the airport and we grab a bite to eat before his flight--always at Legal's. We usually get a lobster roll and the shrimp roll and share. Next to California Tortilla (I'm obsessed!) it's the only good place to eat in the airport. Bummer!

Cheers,

Rocks.

OK, Don.

My wife has agreed to try Legal Sea Food again, but not the one in Tyson's where she refuses to ever eat again, ever. So we're going to the LSF in Crystal City at 7:30 or so, and maybe they'll show us a whole new side of Legal. If anyone is in the area, wave when you walk by.

I'll file a report on that one after we have dinner.

Wayne Rash

OK, Don.

My wife has agreed to try Legal Sea Food again, but not the one in Tyson's where she refuses to ever eat again, ever. So we're going to the LSF in Crystal City at 7:30 or so, and maybe they'll show us a whole new side of Legal. If anyone is in the area, wave when you walk by.

I'll file a report on that one after we have dinner.

Wayne Rash

So we went to the Crystal City location of Legal Sea Foods on Friday night. The experience was dramatically better than our visit to the Tyson's location.

But before I go any further, we need to do the full disclosure thing.

When I had the really horrible dinner at Legal Sea Foods in Tyson's, I wrote a detailed message to the management at the corporate HQ. I got a nice letter in response from JoAnne, who is the manager of Guest Services for Legal Sea Foods in Boston. She extended her apologies, passed along gift certificates, and ask that I contact her to "facilitate" my next visit. So I called her and told her that I was planning to visit the Crystal City location on Friday. She said she'd make the reservation. I asked that she call me back if there was any problem getting a seat at 7:30. Her comment was interesting. "There will always be a table if I make the reservation," she said.

Sure enough, we arrived (late due to traffic), and our table was indeed ready. Considering the massive crowds, it was clear that she had some clout indeed. We were seated near be back in a nice but not particularly speccial location. The restaurant was very noisy, but considering the hoardes of people at the bar, this was not a surprise. I could carry on a conversation, but after 20 years of pushing troops in the military, I can be understood on the floor of a steel mill.

Shortly after we got our menus, the other parts of what JoAnne meant by "facilitate" began to be appearant. As we were discussing appetizers, Restaurant Director Tony Fiorino arrived tableside to make sure we were being treated well, and bearing a combination appetizer platter for us. He apologized for the actions of the Tyson's restaurant, and assured us that we'd not have problems like that in Crystal City. During the course of the meal, the chef also arrived to make sure we liked our fish. Since I didn't see either the chef or Mr. Fiorino show up at other tables, I think we were being facilitated.

Our facilitated appitizer combo platter included a crab cake, a pair of steamed shrimp dumplings, tuna sashimi and a two-shrimp cocktail. They make their crab cakes as a sort of a pile of crab that's cooked under a broiler. It was delicious, but I prefer the other style. The dumplings were quite good, the sashimi fresh with a nice soy and seaweed salad accompaniment. The shrimp cocktail was perfectly done. Nice appetizers. Since my wife doesn't do sashimi, I was forced to consume that and the seaweed salad myself. Ah, the sacrifices we make.

I ordered their wood grilled rockfish, with asparagus and rice pilaf and a corn and black bean salsa, which was the special for the evening. It was allegedly cajun spiced, but this was done by a very tame cajun. However the rockfish was firm, moist, flavorful and done as well as I'd have done it myself. My wife had the wood-grilled scallops. In Tyson's these would have had the consistency of little white hockey pucks. Here they were perfectly done, smooth and velvety inside and just enough carmelization on the outside to be properly done.

Our dessert was a strawberry shortcake that was absolutely identical to the strawberry shortcake I make at home. I don't mean similar. I mean, it tasted as if I'd made it. Of course, that means it was exceptional.

As is the case with Legal Sea Food in general, the wine is well chosen and reasonably priced, and you don't get ripped off ordering by the glass.

Overall, I was very pleased. I particularly happy being facilitated. I just wish the service was like that without the intervention of JoAnne at the corporate offices. However, I don't think the food was any different than what I saw other diners getting. The woman at the table next to me said that when she's in DC, she always eats at the Crystal City restaurant because as far as she's concerned it's the best in the chain. She said that she prefers it to any of the Boston locations she's tried.

So, yes. I'd go back to this location. I still haven't made up my mind about Tyson's.

Wayne Rash

The mother wanted to go to the Montgomery Mall location tonight for Mother's Day dinner (some truly awful experiences dealing with crowds led my mother to swear off going out on Mother's Day proper). Nothing really noteworthy to mention, save for dessert.

My mother ordered the Boston Creme Pie ($6.75), and what arrived was nothing like the classic dessert. A thin layer of cake at the bottom, a dense custard on top of it, a layer of chocolate cake (I think) on top of that, and then drizzled with a chocolate sauce. The whole thing tasted oddly bitter, and not because of dark chocolate. I tried one bite, and didn't attempt to have any more.

I'm all for reinvention and reinterpretation, but this was just bad, and for a seafood restaurant with a menu that's as straightforward (and, er, boring) as Legal's it doesn't work. (And I'd never expect it from a restaurant based in New England)

I got a call today from Sherry Bailey at Legal Seafoods in Tyson's Corner. Ms. Bailey tells me that she's the new manager (I guess this is becoming an annual event) and that she's been working hard for the three weeks she's been there to make sure that the cooking staff has the necessary skills in hand to prepare sea food the way it should be.

I suggested that she needed to join donrockwell.com and be kept up to date on what's going on at her restaurant as well as the places with which she competes. She said she would, so we'll see.

In the meantime, she did invite me back, and offered to make a reservation for me. I declined that mainly because this is a really busy week with deadlines galore, but I'll probably take her up on it next week.

In the meantime, she tells me she has a newly unified team. I hope that translates into good food.

I'll go back at some point and see whether she's managed to convince the kitchen to learn how to cook fish. That would be a nice change.

Wayne Rash

Suprisingly, I took an unplanned visit to the Legal Sea Foods in Chinatown last week for a very quick happy hour. I went in skeptical, and although I didnt order anything needing to be cooked or prepared, I was nonetheless impressed with the quality of their specials. They were offering dollar oysters and 1.95 PBRs. They had three varieties of oysters available, but unfortunately they were out of kumamotos. On that day they were offering 1 choice from Maine, one from Mass, and one from the New York area, although I cant remember any pinpoint locations. I tried two of each, and all were good. Needless to say, two beers and a half-dozen oysters later I was happy.

I must say that we have been going to the Tysons Galleria LSF for years and have never had any problems with our meals. My father has allergies to crustaceans and each time we go, we let the server know this. Not only do they acknowledge said allergy, most of the time the chef comes out of the kitchen to speak directly to my father about his specific allergy and to assure him that his fish will be cooked in isolated area. There has never been a problem and it was one of the restaurants he sought out during his chemotherapy (which is significant, if you know anything about what chemo does to appetite and tastebuds). Our service is always efficient and friendly and the food is good. I'm not saying that a person couldn't have a bad meal there, but perhaps, just perhaps, that was an isolated bad experience.

Good riddance. They cooked seafood like people that had never been to the beach.

Seriously, their QC has really been lacking, and I'm not just saying that about the nearly-departed Montgomery Mall location. We had a pretty mediocre dinner at the Legal in Harvard Square last summer.

Sure, anybody can have a bad day. But BASIC things - soup  temperature. Soggy salad. Overcooked fish entrees. Really??

Given our distance from the world's largest freshwater estuary, the quality of seafood cooking around here makes you long to be a Cubs fan.

• Like 1

Quick visit to the Tysons outpost for lunch today - ordered the crab and avocado salad. I would give it a C. First bite was ruined by a shard of shell. The boiled eggs had dark circles between the yolk and white, and the tomatoes were Sysco industrial at a time of year when wonderful local tomatoes are in abundance. Meh.

I had a mug of the Maryland Cream of Crab Soup for $7.50 last evening at the National Airport location and, like Foghorn Leghorn, I do declare it was a strong offering.  The soup itself was velvety richness and it was well stocked with sizeable portions of crab meat in an ample-sized mug.

I have mostly written off Legal because of some bad experiences on recent visits to Boston....the outpost at Logan Airport serves lukewarm, almost unheated, fare across its entire menu. Maybe it's just that airport food places are like ballpark food stands, just throwing pre-made food in the microwave and serving it with massive doses of indifference. There aren't many good options at Logan, but after all, this is Boston. Shouldn't Legal have some local pride?

21 minutes ago, Kibbee Nayee said:

I have mostly written off Legal because of some bad experiences on recent visits to Boston....the outpost at Logan Airport serves lukewarm, almost unheated, fare across its entire menu. Maybe it's just that airport food places are like ballpark food stands, just throwing pre-made food in the microwave and serving it with massive doses of indifference. There aren't many good options at Logan, but after all, this is Boston. Shouldn't Legal have some local pride?

Which outpost at Logan? I can think of at least three throughout the airport.