Hell's Kitchen, Tuesday Nights at 9 PM

cjsadler

Finally watched the first episode. They definitely camped it up a bit. I was cracking up at the "Black Gordon Ramsey, 4 Star General" comments, the "Hen in Pumpkin", and that one guy's out of control tableside flambeeing, where GR says "Try not to set the dining room on fire, you donkey!"

I wish everyone would stop dumping on the "Pumpkin-Hen." The concept is interesting and appealing; the execution, on the other hand, sucked. In fact, I'm going to forgo my biscuit quest to concentrate on... Pump-hen? Pump-chick? Chick-pump? Hen-kin? Well... I'm having trouble naming it, but you can be sure it'll be damn good.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wish everyone would stop dumping on the "Pumpkin-Hen." The concept is interesting and appealing; the execution, on the other hand, sucked. In fact, I'm going to forgo my biscuit quest to concentrate on... Pump-hen? Pump-chick? Chick-pump? Hen-kin? Well... I'm having trouble naming it, but you can be sure it'll be damn good.

It's the execution that is being criticized (by me, at least). There's no doubt that the flavors of poultry and pumpkin can be combined in many exciting and delicious variations and I have personally sampled and enjoyed quite a few. Simply stuffing a bone-in hen into a raw, hollowed-out pumpkin and baking it is just funny, especially considering that it was supposedly that guy's signature dish! The "tableside" presentation was a nice exclamation point. ;)

Pumpkin soup in a pumpkin was Paul Bocuse’s trademark from the Pompidou administration 40 years ago. Louis Petrozza the catering chef from Winthrop University fabricated the gourd-ish hen sacrement in its savory sepulchre as a ritual homage to Easter and Chef Bocuse and along with Mr. Mom Dominic from nearby Catawba (pop. 3.485) will represent York County darn tootin’ good in the Rock Hill Herald’s 3rd annual Halloween Bumpkin d’Or and painted mason-jar swap-meet expo.

My advice to anyone contemplating competing on this show...

Have a tried and true "signature" dish

Know how to cut and bone chicken

Know how to skin and fillet fish

... and be able to do all blindfolded.

I can't believe the two most experienced people mangled the chicken. Where do they get these people?

For all his trash talking I thought Jason would last a bit longer than he did. Colonel Bobby will go within the next three weeks.

Predictions based on tonight's show:

Shayna is flying under the radar. She'll make the final five.

LouRoss went from above the radar to below the radar. He (I'm finally convinced LouRoss is actually a he*) will probably be in the final five as well.

Bobby has got to go within the next two weeks.

Jen may have the skills, but she isn't a Ramsey roofie

(*I've been biting my tongue, but now... dammit... I've said it.)

Louross (I hear you, legant. I was shocked when he put on a blue jacket!) or Christina will win. All in all, this has been the hardest season to pick the winner because there is seemingly no rock solid all-star in the whole bunch.

I still don't really know why I watch Hell's Kitchen. I can't even tell if I like it or if I just watch it because it's about restaurants. Oh well, my season pass is already set.

Louross (I hear you, legant. I was shocked when he put on a blue jacket!) or Christina will win. All in all, this has been the hardest season to pick the winner because there is seemingly no rock solid all-star in the whole bunch.

I still don't really know why I watch Hell's Kitchen. I can't even tell if I like it or if I just watch it because it's about restaurants. Oh well, my season pass is already set.

I watch because Ramsay is wonderfully entertaining. From his Kitchen Nightmares shows on both BBC and Fox, to Hell's Kitchen, Ramsay makes for compelling television. I think that he's hilarious, and he speaks so well and with such authority that I just accept almost everything he says at face value (prepares for the onslaught of groans from the professional chefs on this board.... ;) )

To me, Hell's Kitchen is like watching a weekly train-wreck, it so spectacularly awful in a way. I can't get enough of it. Impossible to pick a winner at this point, but I'm going to say Jen.

Oh, and Ben is toast.

Just finished watching this week's episode. I wish they would either stop with so many closeup interview shots of Matt or kick him off. His facial expressions range from looking like he just smelled a fart to looking he just dealt a fart. I just can't take looking at his face anymore.

Just finished watching this week's episode. I wish they would either stop with so many closeup interview shots of Matt or kick him off. His facial expressions range from looking like he just smelled a fart to looking he just dealt a fart. I just can't take looking at his face anymore.

;) Agree completely.

Sorry to see what's-her-name leave. Really wished the Red Team could have come together, in the spirit of teamwork, and figured a way to helped her out. At least through one full service. Maybe she could have helped the Dessert station.

Surprised Ramsey "eliminated" what's-her-name and no one else. It's not like AI, where they have a certain number of weeks to fill; HK could have made up for her departure by piecing together additional material.

Didn't the previews show LouRoss getting "close" with someone? Did I miss that?

Additional advice for those contemplating competing in future versions: study Ramsey's menus. Get a clue about what he does/doesn't like. I think Jen might have done this; she nailed the pizza.

did chef ramsay really mean it this week when he complimented the cracked big samurai looking guy on putting out the best risotto in the history of hell's kitchen, or was he just setting him up? i mean, this guy really enjoys being on the girls team, so was he an ugly duckling all these episodes? i really want to see how he handles the beef wellingtons. i think those are what got the flustered guy with the glasses thrown off. i guess we'll all have to just stay tuned in to find out.

Anyone have any guesses as to who the new contestant might be? It sounded like whoever it is ends up on the ladies' side. I'm guessing Julia--the breakfast chef that Ramsay sent to culinary school last year.

I missed this. Who was the "new" contestant?

Odds from www.bodoglife.com (prior to tonight's show):

Who will win Hell's Kitchen 4?

Christina 10/13

Corey 15/1

Jen 12/1

Rosann 45/1

Bobby 7/1

Louross 5/2

Matt 30/1

Petrozza 20/1

Jen is her own worse enemy. I'm surprised by the odds for Louross. However, even after such a major f**k up, he's still flying under the radar. After many weeks of not being able to recall the menu, Petrozza, the misogynist prick, has started to shine. Corey I dislike on GP.

I missed this. Who was the "new" contestant?

Odds from www.bodoglife.com (prior to tonight's show):

Who will win Hell's Kitchen 4?

Christina 10/13

Corey 15/1

Jen 12/1

Rosann 45/1

Bobby 7/1

Louross 5/2

Matt 30/1

Petrozza 20/1

Jen is her own worse enemy. I'm surprised by the odds for Louross. However, even after such a major f**k up, he's still flying under the radar. After many weeks of not being able to recall the menu, Petrozza, the misogynist prick, has started to shine. Corey I dislike on GP.

Was it Petrozza who was the misogynist? I thought it was the bald guy who got kicked off early in the season.

Betting odds adjusted on Hell's Kitchen:

Christine was a 10/13 favorite prior to this week but the odds have been slightly adjusted, now at 5/6 at BodogLife.

Louross remained next at 5/2 odds as well as Bobby and Matt who remained the same at 7/1 and 30/1 respectively. Jen's chances according to the books have dropped a little as well as she was at 9/1 prior to the week and is now 12/1.

This week two players saw their betting odds increase when Corey moved from 18/1 to 15/1 as Ramsay only praised her from the Red team and Petrozza who went from 30/1 to 18/1, the most significant move.

This show is so pathetic and stupid. I made the mistake of watching about 3/4 of an episode the other night. Gordon Ramsay's other TV offerings from the other side of the pond are far better, especially The F Word.
Ha! I couldn't agree more, but I already set the season pass and can't help watching it when it's on my play list. It's not a show aimed at truly finding a good chef; it's goal is to make 15 people look stupid and to make Ramsay look cool and mean. I don't dig the concept, but it still oddly entertains me for the 42 minutes it takes to watch it.

Okay... the finale has been TIVOed, to be watched on Thursday at the earliest. I did, however, read a short recap and know the winner. I'm disappointed but not surprised. But what I really want to know: who did Petrozza pick? Who got Jen?

Okay... the finale has been TIVOed, to be watched on Thursday at the earliest. I did, however, read a short recap and know the winner. I'm disappointed but not surprised. But what I really want to know: who did Petrozza pick? Who got Jen?

Petrozza picked Bobby. In the end, he had his choice between Jen and Matt. He chose Jen. Both were disasters, although Jen was mostly a really bitter bad attitude (saving the onion ring incident) and Matt was his usual insane bumbing self. I would never hire either of those two.

I watch the show only sporadically but this week's/year's lineup seemed to raise the bar in terms on idiocy and incompetence. Those looking to see what will surely be a classic sequence -- it really takes off when one of the (male) wannabes tell Ramsay "I'm not a bitch," rather than answer a question, and continues into next week -- should find the last segment of tonight's show on the web and program their Tivo for next episode. I feel unclean just writing about it. I can't wait to tune in next Tuesday.

This is an embarrassing and difficult show to watch. I can't imagine who likes to watch this stuff. I have worked for many chefs in my career and none of them has ever acted like this.

Well, I sit behind a desk all day and I love watching this mindless drivel. Maybe I'm a bit disturbed.

This is an embarrassing and difficult show to watch. I can't imagine who likes to watch this stuff. I have worked for many chefs in my career and none of them has ever acted like this.

Everything I've seen of Chef Ramsey OTHER than Hell's Kitchen seems to suggest that he's a decent enough guy with a sturdy passion for what he does and a significant talent for cooking and business (if the success HAS turned him into a bit of a prig).

Anyone who's seen the British versions of his shows and the American versions of his shows (the former being considerably more enjoyable and well done) knows that the British appeals to the intellect and the American appeals to the adrenal gland (which seems to be the case in many US-UK TV swaps).

Bottom line, it seems to be mostly an act.

Everything I've seen of Chef Ramsey OTHER than Hell's Kitchen seems to suggest that he's a decent enough guy with a sturdy passion for what he does and a significant talent for cooking and business (if the success HAS turned him into a bit of a prig).

Anyone who's seen the British versions of his shows and the American versions of his shows (the former being considerably more enjoyable and well done) knows that the British appeals to the intellect and the American appeals to the adrenal gland (which seems to be the case in many US-UK TV swaps).

Bottom line, it seems to be mostly an act.

True enough, but the morons they have in this latest group would make most folks blood boil.

This is such a pathetic show. It's a joke. Leave it to the producers to edit it to the point of even greater stupidity. I have no idea why Gordon ramsay wants to have anything to do with this drivel. Maybe they are paying him a pile of money.

True enough, but the morons they have in this latest group would make most folks blood boil.

I haven't seen the episodes from this season yet, but honestly I can't wait now that I've heard this. It's the old Roman blood sport of bad things* happening to lower people** - AND WE LOVE TO WATCH!!!

*109AD: Physical carnage. 2009AD: Emotional carnage.

**109AD: Criminals. 2009AD: Morons.

This is such a pathetic show. It's a joke. Leave it to the producers to edit it to the point of even greater stupidity. I have no idea why Gordon ramsay wants to have anything to do with this drivel. Maybe they are paying him a pile of money.

Duh.

There's probably an ego thing and a bit of marketing for his restaurants, cooking school, pubs and merchandise, as well.

I have heard from a source with firsthand knowledge that the Ramsay tearing through Hell's Kitchen is somewhat toned down from the real life Ramsay who raged about Restaurant Gordon Ramsay's kitchen.

Tennille

Hometown: Hampton Roads, VA

Kitchen Experience:

10 years

Culinary Education:

Johnson and Wales

According to my wife's Branch Manager whose son works at Sweetwater, Tennille works at Sweetwater. She said last night that she's never worked with whole shrimps before (that's why she can't devein them). I guess the fried shrimp at Sweetwater came pre-cleaned?

According to my wife's Branch Manager whose son works at Sweetwater, Tennille works at Sweetwater. She said last night that she's never worked with whole shrimps before (that's why she can't devein them). I guess the fried shrimp at Sweetwater came pre-cleaned?

It is rather scary to read that many of these folks went to some sort of culinary school.

Tennille also can't do scallops yet she's still working at Sweet Water on Rt. 50. And Andy looks like chump - how do you work slower than Lovely?

It would be interesting to know what she actually does there, wouldn't it.

Disappointing. I was hoping to see a real donnybrook.

One would think by now (season 6 is it?) that any "contestant" would realize that there are a few things that you need to perfect before you go on the show. Number 1 obviously being how to cook risotto. Number 2 being how to properly saute scallops.

Unload the sysco truck

put box o scallops in freezer

recieve computerized order

bitch about how hard it is to be an executive chef

go into freezer and open box o scallops and grab a bagoscallops

open the sysco bag0scallops

dump said bag in deep fryer

wait three minutes

serve and repeat

It would be interesting to know what she actually does there, wouldn't it.

Something interesting I discovered in reading Tek's post elimination interview, was that she and Jim became "an item" while on the show and are still dating and looking at moving to be together -- where they hope to open a restaurant together.

A pathetic attempt to garner more attention from 1 already doomed and 1 soon to be doomed D list celebrity wannabes?

Oy! I can't believe Tennille is still on the show. BTW, do restaurants really pre-cook risotto rice? I'm assuming the answer is yes, so the follow-up question, does it taste any different if pre-cooked?

Most restaurants do because they don't want a chef to have spent 25 minutes stirring one pot (while the diner complains). I seem to recall -- and this was somewhat borne out by the show -- that you cook it almost to completion, spread it on a baking sheet to cool and cover it with film.

I think Tennille's on because she gives good quote. While I doubt that there's outright manipulation, I can't help but think that Chef and Producers don't make the call based on better TV. Heck, that might be the reason that Suzanne stayed so long: she's the one evrybody loved to hate.

Although, unless they've been doing a great deal of editing, Tenille's clearly had better shows the last couple of times out than the ones who've been booted.