Hell's Kitchen, Tuesday Nights at 9 PM

cjsadler

The guy witht he broken wrist seems a bit, um, dull, but man, I give him lots of credit cooking with a casted fracture.

I also wonder what chefs think of Gordon Ramsey and his childish tantrums-kicking, throwing food and unbelievably last night, humiliating a chef in front of the whole dining room. What an ugly bully. But to my point-I wonder what hard working, talented chefs who are manning the stove for hours on end each day think? Do they shake their heads in disbelief that they have him as a club member? Do they embrace those chefs who have achieved mega-celeb status and do nothing that resembles cooking every day, or do they just shake their heads at sellouts?

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The guy witht he broken wrist seems a bit, um, dull, but man, I give him lots of credit cooking with a casted fracture.

I also wonder what chefs think of Gordon Ramsey and his childish tantrums-kicking, throwing food and unbelievably last night, humiliating a chef in front of the whole dining room. What an ugly bully. But to my point-I wonder what hard working, talented chefs who are manning the stove for hours on end each day think? Do they shake their heads in disbelief that they have him as a club member? Do they embrace those chefs who have achieved mega-celeb status and do nothing that resembles cooking every day, or do they just shake their heads at sellouts?

While I have no doubt that he is an A-type perfectionist (sort of required to get where he is), I would imagine that about 90% of his show on HK is just that -- show.

I think (or would like to think) that watching Kitchen Nightmares (especially the original UK version) or even F-Word would give a slightly more true version of how he acts in real life.

While I have no doubt that he is an A-type perfectionist (sort of required to get where he is), I would imagine that about 90% of his show on HK is just that -- show.

I think (or would like to think) that watching Kitchen Nightmares (especially the original UK version) or even F-Word would give a slightly more true version of how he acts in real life.

Agreed. He seems to have the whole good cop/bad cop act down. In Kitchen Nightmares he generally seems genuine about wanted a restaurant, and its people to succeed.

Agreed. He seems to have the whole good cop/bad cop act down. In Kitchen Nightmares he generally seems genuine about wanted a restaurant, and its people to succeed.

I agree, but, OT: I just clicked on to your website link below, for the first time, and wanted to tell you how much I think it rocks. Great recipes, great writing and mouth-watering food photography.

Oy! I can't believe Tennille is still on the show. BTW, do restaurants really pre-cook risotto rice? I'm assuming the answer is yes, so the follow-up question, does it taste any different if pre-cooked?

I don't think risotto tastes any different when done that way, although I am certain that some folks that post here might strongly disagree. IIRC, they teach it that way at the C.I.A.

Jarad Slipp at CityZen, who worked as Restaurant manager at Gordon Ramsay in London and who watched something on the order of a dozen people fired during service in his year there (including one who left head first through the back door), suggests that Chef Ramsay's temper has been toned down a bit for American television. I get the impression that once you get used to the personality -- and the personality decides you've made the cut -- the flare-ups become something like the weather. Unfortunate, but something you live through.

If Jarad stops by your table at CityZen, ask him how he got that spiffy Zegna suit he wears sometimes.

I get the feeling that Gordo is intentionally sabotaging his best contestants by putting him with the women team. For some bizarre reason, I've never seen a female team work well together on Hell's Kitchen.

I agree with your comment. I don't know why the women can't seem to work together.

I'm so glad that red headed ass got the boot.

I agree with your comment. I don't know why the women can't seem to work together.

I'm so glad that red headed ass got the boot.

Casting. They never allow more than one competent non-psychotic woman on the show in any given season.

Who's the competent non-psycho woman in this season? Holli Ugalde? She's hasn't been yelled at by Gordo much. As for Siobhan, who would pay to see her naked?

At the moment, I'd say Autumn, but there's plenty of episodes for the editors to change her character completely.

I really cannot stand this show. It really is a joke....I far prefer Ramsay's F-Word.

As anything resembling a food show, I completely agree.

As an hour (or, in the case of the last couple weeks, two hours) of dumb and mindless entertainment each week during the summer, which is devoid of anything resembling watchable TV anyway, I wholeheartedly disagree.

As anything resembling a food show, I completely agree.

As an hour (or, in the case of the last couple weeks, two hours) of dumb and mindless entertainment each week during the summer, which is devoid of anything resembling watchable TV anyway, I wholeheartedly disagree.

Well, true that, but that is what Netflix is for. And the Apple TV widget. ;-)

I get the feeling that Gordo is intentionally sabotaging his best contestants by putting him with the women team. For some bizarre reason, I've never seen a female team work well together on Hell's Kitchen.

Catching up as I had it on Tivo, which is a great way to watch it as you can FF through the BS. The red headed ass that got axed was certainly not one of the best contestants, well in his own mind maybe. Benjamin on the other hand has been pretty good at leading so it will be interesting to see where it goes.

The red headed ass that got axed was certainly not one of the best contestants, well in his own mind maybe.

In my estimation, the red headed ass was better than any of the women, and better than Jason and Salvatore for sure on the men's team. Only Ben, Jay and Ed are potentially better. If he just focused on his own cooking, he probably would've lasted longer. But I'm not shedding any tears because he was such an ass.

In my estimation, the red headed ass was better than any of the women, and better than Jason and Salvatore for sure on the men's team. Only Ben, Jay and Ed are potentially better. If he just focused on his own cooking, he probably would've lasted longer. But I'm not shedding any tears because he was such an ass.

What made Red an ass what that he blamed his dismissal on his teammate's lack of talent. Huh? :) I mean, even if he can cook, there's nothing left to learn for people like him. He thinks his shat don't stink. It's always everyone else who just doesn't get it.

What made Red an ass what that he blamed his dismissal on his teammate's lack of talent. Huh? :) I mean, even if he can cook, there's nothing left to learn for people like him. He thinks his shat don't stink. It's always everyone else who just doesn't get it.

Can you imagine anyone hiring him after this? Yikes!

I agree, Jay was robbed!

What is the deal between Holli, Jay and the ex husband/ son's dad. Is the dad still in the picture? Is she sleeping with jay?

I'm not sure that dude was anything other than baby's daddy (not sure they were ever married) and Holli never mentioned that dude being in the picture. In anything, I think Jay and Holli hooked up. I'm not even sure Holli has custody of the baby.

OMG, this new season that just started may be the most dramatic and eventful season ever! You have Sabrina - the teenage "bitch." You have someone collapsing on the very 1st episode. You have the delusional fat karate kid Raj. You even have a new maitre d' - where is Jean Pierre?

I am so pumped for this season! I got tired of the show ages ago b/c of the absolute lack of talent and total ridiculousness of the premise that it's a cooking show, but I still watch because one, I love Gordon Ramsay and all of his unique terms for people and two, I apparently have to watch any and all cooking shows. This time it won't matter that the people are completely lacking in talent b/c the first episode was HYS-TER-I-CAL!! I really hope it continues to be this funny.

I may be done with Hell's Kitchen after this craptastic season. I don't like anyone on the show and none of them seems like they are competent enough to actually run a kitchen, if that's truly what they'll do in their position as a winner. The girls are terrible people. The guys are incompetent. I can see one person possibly winning the show, but even that's a stretch. There are contestants who give me agita and generally raise my cortisol level when they're talking to the camera.

One of my questions is this: What do "real" chefs who work for Gordon Ramsey think about these losers who are now associated with them? If I'm a chef who works for Ramsey and got the job because I deserved it, I'd think twice about telling people who I work for. Are all Ramsey employees colored with a hue of reality TV?

These are line cooks that somehow got thrust into the spotlight and are way above their abilities in both talent and personality. I can't believe any of them would be even remotely considered for a management position in a busy quality restaurant. The person I feel sorriest for is the chef that will get stuck training one of them.

I am a total sucker for bad reality shows, especially cooking shows (I watched most of 'Around the world in 80 plates')& HK isn't that bad-Justin, Christina,& Dana were ringers, low drama contestants, probably decent cooks, who were destined to be in it until the end. Barbie & Brian have also lasted longer than I thought they would....I just love watching the competitions-blind taste test, invent your own menu, head to head dishes...I still like HK...I love to hear Gordon yelling, ' it's RAWRR', whether it's for scallops or beef wellingtons....