American Flatbread, Broadlands - Closed

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Oven does not create the pies...it's the people that create them...there is HUGE importance on technique here.
Well clearly you've done your research, quoting my words back at me. So I'll bite. My point in THAT post was that there was someone new. And now there's someone new again. I've never had a problem with consistency, and everyone in the kitchen there has seemed well trained (based on the food they put out).

I'm not really sure what you're getting at here, nor do I have answers for you, but I'm happy to find out the next time I'm there.

I would have to agree, that it is OPP is what makes great pizzas. I guess I'm not really concerned where the other chef went, but more concerned of a new "keeper of the flame" and product consistency . I think that's one of the hardest things to manage in a pizza place.

I would have to agree, that it is OPP is what makes great pizzas. I guess I'm not really concerned where the other chef went, but more concerned of a new "keeper of the flame" and product consistency . I think that's one of the hardest things to manage in a pizza place.

"You are all correct in your thinking. I agree with "pizza man" when he stated his opinion:"It's the harmonic convergence of the Oven, People and Product" but would add - Guest to the "harmonic convergence" category.

From my perspective, one of the amazing things about American Flatbread are the ideas and values that transcend to different chefs with the same focus on making amazing pizza. You are correct in your inquiry about "Tyler Sweet" presenting the new specials - one small correction - it is Tyler Smith, not Tyler Sweet; he is our new Ashburn Hearth Chef. Tyler helped to open Ashburn Hearth and has spent his time "in front of the flame" - he has also studied at Culinary School and Ashburn Hearth is fortunate enough to have him re-join us. The opportunity was presented to him after Chef Dave Biber, an extremely talented and personable foodie, is embarking on a new opportunity in the wine business expanding his knowledge. - cool personal growth opportunity for him!

As our founder George Schenk often says to me, "we are in the people business - as much as we are in the food business." With that perspective we are just as interested in fostering and working with great people as we are in creating delicious meaningful food. Tyler has an excellent opportunity to learn more about food and the restaurant business and we as guests (including myself) get the chance to learn from his interpretations about great combination's of organic, local and seasonal foods that translate well on pizza. Chef Dave has the opportunity to learn more about wine and is always welcome in the American Flatbread community.

I hope this helps explain our "chef" change - we hope you will come out in support of Tyler Smith and experience what he has to offer."

I'm very excited things are moving along for the Clarendon branch, and there's a location.

Oh yay!!! Now, I haven't gotten out to the Ashburn branch, but we recently had the pleasure of trying the Burlington, Vt location. While the waitress explained that their location is an independent branch from the same root as the other locations (i.e., informed by the philosophy and cooking techniques but not the same menu or incredibly long beer list [that they have]), I recognized a lot of similarly-named menu items - evolution salad, etc. They were generous about splitting up sides of the large flatbread, so you could try two sets of toppings, and the price was a very reasonable <$20 (we had the white and mushroom/sundried tomato/caramelized onion). It was EXCELLENT pizza - the crust light yet substantial, chewy and slightly charred, with fresh and flavorful toppings. Based on this thread, I have every hope that the Ashburn and the coming Clarendon location would be just as good. Can't wait to find out for myself!

New specials!

If you've only ever had supermarket sausage, do yourself a favor and try the spicy sausage flatbread. Ask for extra sausage. It's braised in beer and is moist and full of porky goodness (or head to the Ashburn farmer's market and grab some of your own).

Not on the menu is a caprese salad, probably the best I've had outside of Italy. Tomatoes are from their organic produce supplier in PA that they just went out to visit.

Also not on the menu is a superlative creamy peach ice cream. Ask for it with a chocolate chip cookie.

Don't forget to stop by to help build the new oven in Clarendon!!!

Peach Vinaigrette Salad <= I didn't think I could love a salad that didn't have bacon, but I'll be damned. This is good summertime stuff.

Fresh Organic Spinach, Glazed in Our House Made Peach Vinaigrette, Topped with Shallots and Cherry Glen Farm’s Local Chevre - 6.99

Spicy Sausage Flatbread

Local Organic Baby Arugula, All Natural Mozzarella, With Steve Baker’s Spicy Sausage That Has Been Oven Roasted And Sautéed in Beer, With Organic Roasted Red Peppers, and Mushrooms - 21.99

Basil Tomato & Fresh Mozzarella Flatbread

House Made Slow cooked Chunky Organic Tomato Sauce, With Local Organic Basil, and All Natural& Fresh Mozzarella - 19.99

Just because I like to pick on Dan (especially when either AF or Rachel Ray are involved) and it's a slow day.

"Sauteed in beer" ? :blink:

"Fresh Organic Spinach, Glazed in Our House Made Peach Vinaigrette" ? This is another cooking technique that I would like to see. Is each leaf dipped in the vinaigrette like a donut? Or is the glaze cooked on like on a ham? :D

Just because I like to pick on Dan (especially when either AF or Rachel Ray are involved) and it's a slow day.

"Sauteed in beer" ? :blink:

"Fresh Organic Spinach, Glazed in Our House Made Peach Vinaigrette" ? This is another cooking technique that I would like to see. Is each leaf dipped in the vinaigrette like a donut? Or is the glaze cooked on like on a ham? :D

I didn't write the damn menu, okay?? lol :(

It's post like these that make clients ask why I'm laughing so hard on the phone.

Actually, the dressing in my salad was perfectly distributed, so maybe they DID do each leaf individually! Slow food, right?

Also, if you could somehow raise the boiling point of water to 310 degrees Fahrenheit*, there's no reason you couldn't saute in beer! Ever think of that Mister Smartypants?

*Like maybe have Rachael Ray lick the bottle.

I just want to mention that, among their various specials, Monday night is half priced wine night. The Caparzo “La Doga” Supertuscan comes down to $15 for the bottle, and is a great pairing with any of the pizzas.

Also, mark your calendars:

Tuesday, August 11th at 6:30 is a special "Victory Beer" night. This is a great way to come out and try some new beer and local food. Here are the details from the site:

American Flatbread Beer Dinner

August 11th — Victory Beers

Sunrise Weisse - As invigorating as the morning rays of the summer sun, Sunrise Weissbier satisfies when the heat is on, too. This unfiltered, Bavarian style ale is true to its origins with all ingredients except for the water having been imported from Germany. It remains unfiltered to feature the tangy, fruity flavors of its unique yeast. The imported German malt contributes greatly to add a crisp, citric snap that makes this beer a superb summertime refresher.

Prima Pils - Heaps of hops give this pale lager a bracing, herbal bite over layers of soft and smooth malt flavor. This refreshing combination of tastes makes Prima a classy quencher in the tradition of the great pilsners of Europe. Dry and delightful, this is an elegant beer.

Golden Monkey - Strong and sensual, this golden, Belgian-style ale glows with goodness. The richness of German malts and Belgian yeast are tempered by a sparkling approach and overall light body. Considerable depth of character with abundant herbal, fruity notes make this one to savor.

Hop Wallop - We celebrate the pioneering spirit of old Horace ‘Hop’ Wallop and those who dare mighty adventurous things in this vivid, robust ale. As our annual homage to the hop harvest, expect loads of aromatic splendor and bitter beauty.

Food Pairing

First Pairing: Sunrise Weisse

Starter Sticks

Oven Baked Bread Sticks, Brushed with garlic oil. Topped with our Parmesan and Asiago mix, Sprinkled with fresh herbs.

Second Pairing: Prima Pils

Pomegranate Vinaigrette Spinach Salad

Fresh baby spinach coated in house made pomegranate vinaigrette surrounded by New Morning Farm’s sliced golden delicious apples, With Toasted walnuts and gorgonzola cheese.

Third Pairing: Hop Wallop

Veggie Special; Teriyaki Bok choy Flatbread

Arugula, All Natural Mozzarella, Organic white onions, sautéed Bok Choy, Tuscarora farm’s mixed mushrooms with an oven baked teriyaki glaze; Dusted with sesame seeds.

Meat Special; Lamb sausage Flatbread

All Natural Mozzarella, Fields of Athenry local lamb sausage, among sautéed garlic spinach and grilled white onions, topped with gorgonzola cheese.

Fourth Pairing: Golden Monkey

Peach Cobbler with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

Cost for the beer dinner is $50 per person.

Just a heads up to anyone that doesn't like breast cancer (i.e. all of you): on Tuesday, September 15th, American Flatbread is having a Benefit Bake for the Susan G Komen whatsit (they're calling it 'Za for the Ta Tas). Just let your server know that you're there for the Benefit Bake, and 15% of your food cost goes to the cause.

Assuming the specials are the same as the last time I was there:

HAM GRAPE GORGONZOLA FLATBREAD <= "Grapes on a pizza"? I know! BUT THIS IS REALLY REALLY REALLY GOOD!!!

Steve Bakers Country Ham, Red Grapes, Gorgonzola & All Natural Mozzarella, Drizzled with Balsamic.

TOMATO MOZZ AND PESTO FLATBREAD

Tuscarora Farms Local Heirloom Tomato, Fresh Mozzarella, Housemade Basil Pesto and All natural Mozzarella.

POMEGRANTE VINAIRGRETTE SPINACH SALAD

Fresh baby Spinach mixed in housemade pomegrante vinaigrette surrounded by New Morning Farms sliced Golden Apples, with Toasted Walnuts and Gorgonzola cheese

Moorenkos featured Ice Creams - Blue Suede Shoes, and White Chocolate Mint

Dropped by the Clarendon location today to see what progress had been made. A great deal of the construction is complete, but the biggest development was that it appeared they had fired the oven! This is a big step in getting ready to open, as it sets the stage for determining the particular characteristics of this hand built centerpiece of the resturant. There were also signs on the door and windows about the times they will be interviewing for new employees.

It looks like things are moving along!

TSchaad

They had a booth at Clarendon Day yesterday with a sign that said opening on Oct. 5.

The guy passing out free slices of pizza last night on Fillmore Street said they were open now.

The guy passing out free slices of pizza last night on Fillmore Street said they were open now.

Correction: The sign on the door says bring three friends for a "sneak peek" today from noon to five.

Went to the Clarendon Location last night after reading the post on it being opening day. The wife and I ordered the New Virginia Sausage and a slice of the apple pie. This was my first time at American Flatbread, and I have to say the sausage flatbread was delicious. The apple pie (we got it without ice cream) was very good. My wife was especially impressed with the crust - crisp and delicate, adding another touch of sweetness to the slightly tart apples. We asked about the possibility of ordering a whole pie to take home when family came to visit, and were told that with sufficient notice it might be possible - stay tuned!

I was impressed by the layout of the resturant. The bar and a few booths are at the front of the space, allowing groups of adults to gather in the late afternoon after work, with the oven and a larger dining area in the back two thirds, perfect for large groups and families. The view of the oven from the main dining area lets you see the entire process of making the Flatbreads.

You could see that management and staff were excited about the opening and eager to let customers know about the choices and specials on the menu.

We were there at around 5:30, so there wasn't a big crowd, but I think as word gets out, this will be a very popular destination in Clarendon.

TSchaad

I of course was there opening day, along with a few local superstars (they know who they are).

The space looks really great. By the time we left at around 7:45 the dining room was about 75% full, which I figure isn't bad for opening night (they don't even have a sign yet). There are a few consistency issues to be worked out (learning the new oven and all), but overall I'd say it was a big success and a welcome addition to the area.

On a personal note, I accidentally lost my wedding ring while I was helping to build the oven. If you find it in your pizza, I will happily pay for your trip to the dentist.

Specials opening week are:

Steve Bakers Bacon, Herb Roasted Fingerling Potatoes, Oak Spring Dairy Cheddar & Chives

Wood Roasted Eggplant & Summer Squash, Our Own Homemade Tomato Sauce, Fresh Mozzarella, Finished with fresh Chicory tossed in olive oil

The "potato skin" pizza needs a little tweaking - my wife and I recommended sour cream, let's see if they go with it.

The long drive to Ashburn is no longer an excuse to not sample some great local meat and produce!

Went last night as a last meal of sorts before some medical tests. The space was a little quiet, but I am sure it will pick up soon once people know it is there. I am not sure about the chandeliers with open ceiling, I think it looks a little silly, but that's just me.

Had a half apple pizza and have revolution minus the mushrooms. The apple pizza was really good, I prefer Liberty Tavern's which may be my favorite pizza ever, but this was definitely good. I love the flavor between the salty meat and crispy apples with the cheddar. The revolution side really hit the spot on my pizza craving. I didn't realize how essential the carmelized onions were till my second piece, but definitely pairs well with the fresh, tangy red sauce. I liked the crust, nice and doughy. We will be back when I am not on a clear diet :( And it is nice you can get back to 10th street so easily. Should be a good addition to that neighborhood which has a lot of nice family homes.

Told management they should put hooks under the tall tables, hope they do. I didn't have my purse hook with me so I was happy we had an extra stool. Anyway service was top notch, and you could see them teaching just how to do things to (I assume) new staff and that was nice to see.

I wanted to go support my new neighbors last night at American Flatbread.

My husband and I had the Virginia Sausage Flatbread which was delicious.

I like how they slice it into small pieces, somehow it makes me feel like less of a pig. :(

Scott, the owner, was there greeting each table which was nice to see.

Our service overall was timely and attentive.

The only downfall is the lighting.

Maybe they had the dimmers too low, but I could barely read the menu.

I'm very happy to have them in our hood and within walking distance no less!

I also stopped by the Clarendon location around 5 yesterday, and got a pizza to go. I know there was some question about take out orders when the Ashburn location opened, but the people I talked to said the plan is for the host/hostess to handle phone orders and the bar to handle walk up orders for carry out. I imagine once Flatbread-mania takes over Arlington, the wait will be 90+ minutes for a phone order, but that's not much worse than The Italian Store during peak hours. Also good news, the New Va Sausage help up nicely on the ride home.

Had never been to the Ashburn location, but after all the comments on here I figured this was a place I should check out. Sat at the bar around 7:15 with the +1. The bar staff was extremely friendly but clearly were learning on the job (some staff from Ashburn was there training and definitely knew what they were doing). We split the sausage pizza which was delicious and enjoyed an always delicious bells brown ale on draft as well as on of the Dogfish Head Punkin ales also on tap.

I would have probably ordered an app or one of the pizzas on special but they weren't mentioned until after we ordered, I think this was more a function of eating at the bar as, like I mentioned, they were clearly in the process of learning. However, the (random) highlight of the evening was the DELICIOUS pumpkin ice cream that the bar tender mentioned in passing. Sweet lord was this stuff good (pumpkin pie, but in ice cream form). They get it from a farm in Maryland (that doesn't have a store so I can't buy this stuff by the gallon :( ).

All in all I think this is a nice little neighborhood spot and I will certainly spread the word to the folks I know who live nearby.

We had a nice dinner here tonight. Revolution Flatbread came with slow-cooked tomato sauce, caramelized onions, mushrooms and a three cheese blend ($16). Great flavor, nice thin crust, easily big enough for two people. Nice selection of beers on tap...I had a Flying Dog Pale Ale, the +1 had the Dogfish Punkin Ale. They had a nice selection of non-alcohol drinks as well...fizzy organic sodas and such. Comfortable atmosphere, friendly, homey. Food, drinks, tax and tip came to $36 bucks. We'll be back.

I know there have been some questions about our new location so I wanted to chime in. We have FREE PARKING on the first level of the garage below our building- Zoso Flats. We are currently accepting reservations (703) 243-9465 and have a private dining area that can comforatbly seat 25-30. New special tonight - Tuscarora Growers Organic Herb Roasted Pumbkin, Redbor Kale, Carmelized Onions, Garlic, & Cherry Glen Farm Chevre- :( I wanted to thank everyone for you kind feedback and support - swing by and say hey - I will be around all weekend.

Peace - SV-

Our initial dining experience at AF in Clarendon was a positive one. Rainy Saturday evening so the crowd was a little thin, and I guess they have only been open for 2 weeks too. We were greeted warmly, seated promptly in the dining room with a good view of the giant oven.

I started with the greek salad special, which was a pleasant start. Nicely dressed, fresh greens with goat cheese and black olives. My wife had the evolution salad - she noted with zeal the tangy ginger dressing. Both salads portioned generously. We split a flatbread - half with Med Bread (tomato sauce, 3 cheeses, herbs) and half with Punctuated Equilibrium (black olives, roasted red peppers, red onions, goat cheese, mozzarella)- and both really liked it. The crust is definitely different from most others pizza crusts - more bready but quite good. The crust was flavorful and crunchy/chewy and married well with the toppings. Overall, a nice effort.

Dessert was chocolate chip cookies warmed in the oven sandwiched around vanilla ice cream. The cookies could have been warmed a bit more to make them a bit softer but otherwise, a really good dessert.

I'm encouraged by my first visit here. They seem to be off to a good start. I suspect that this place will quickly become a popular neighborhood spot for those looking for good food in a relaxing, low key atmosphere

Was checking out their web site to see if they are open for lunch during the week (nope) and saw this quote and found it interesting. I wonder if any other restaurants are using recommendations from this site.

Voted best multi-unit pizza restaurant in DC - donrockwell.com

Was checking out their web site to see if they are open for lunch during the week (nope) and saw this quote and found it interesting. I wonder if any other restaurants are using recommendations from this site.

Who "voted"? Isn't the Dining Guide based solely on Don's personal experiences?

Ate there on Tuesday with a party of 7. Dining room was fairly empty at 730 which surprised me somewhat, although this was my first trip to the actual dining room as on previous visits I'd eaten at the bar. I personally skipped the salads/starters (although two in the group split the evolution salad which was met with a positive review) and jumped right into a "punctuated equilibrium" pie. I have to admit that I really like the touch of sweetness in their flatbread crust. The pie struck a good balance with the saltiness of the olives and the sweetness of the red onions...I would definitely order this again. Another pairing in the group ordered their ham/cheeder/apple flatbread which while good, is trumped by the version up the street at Liberty Tavern.

The only disappointment came during dessert when I was informed that at the Clarendon location they aren't serving the Moorenko's pumpkin ice cream anymore (alhtough oddly enough in the newsletter that hit my inbox a bit ago, it seems the Ashburn location still does :( ). Instead I split the ice cream sandwich. While good, it wasn't anything to write home about (unlike the pumpkin ice cream that I had on previous visits).

All in all, this was an enjoyable meal (and they seem to be on the Bell's bandwagon, which I wholeheartedly endorse, as they've added the Best Brown Ale on tap) although I tend to waver in regard to my thoughts on if its a bit on the expensive side for what it is. Irregardless, I will be back.

I had the Virginia sausage pizza here tonight. The crust was crisp and chewy. The toppings were fresh and had a good balance of vegetable and sausage. Even with the abundance of mushrooms, the pizza wasn't soggy at all. It was pretty pricey for pizza, but that's the premium you pay for organic and local ingredients.

Being a pizza place, almost every table had kids, but if you want some peace and quiet, you can also sit at the booth by the bar, which is away from the main dinning room. My advice for the place is put a changing table in the man's bathroom too. Come on, this is the 21st century, dads change diapers too.

My advice for the place is put a changing table in the man's bathroom too.

How about directions on how to make the faucet run? Two children and one adult were perplexed. Only two had been drinking, so there must be some other explanation.

Pepperoni and peppers flatbread was very, very good. The Antipasti Plate could have used more meat. I did like the marinated mushrooms and kalamata olives.

My advice for the place is put a changing table in the man's bathroom too. Come on, this is the 21st century, dads change diapers too.

Shhhhhh. Come on, man, this place is doing you a favor. "Ooh, sorry honey. They don't have changing tables in the men's room. I'd love to help you out and change this one for you because you've had such a long, hard day, but unfortunately I can't."

They are open for lunches on Friday (open at 12 PM). Go a lot and maybe they'll open up the other days as well! I really like the store, but it is a little out of the way for normal Clarendon foot traffic. Want to keep that crust available in Arlington for a long, long time!!

If you missed it last year, the Cranberries & Brie Flatbread $19.99 is back: Maple Chipotle Cranberry Sauce w/ Brie, Organic Baby Arugula, organic Red Onions, Toasted Almonds & All Natural Mozzarella. This is a wonderful pizza and (added bonus) it tastes like Christmas.

Also available (and delicious) is the Bacon and Afghan Saffron Leeks Flatbread $21.99: Tuscarora Farms Red Russian Kale, All Natural Mozzarella, Organic Turnips, Steve Bakers Bacon with Sautéed leeks in Afghan Saffron.

Both specials are only at the Ashburn location, though.

A special note on the saffron in the bacon and leek flatbread from a recent email:

Throughout the month of December, all American Flatbread restaurants, including three Vermont locations, are partnering with Mellow Yellow Spice Co. to offer flatbread specials incorporating imported Afghan saffron. They will also offer this premium Afghan saffron for retail sale to guests and include recipe suggestions with the purchase.

The effort aims to educate American Flatbread guests to the problematic opium/heroin trade coming out of Afghanistan as well as provide support for a real alternative to growing poppies. Growing saffron crocuses provides a viable alternative to poppy farmers as its cultivation requires less land, less water, less labor, and earns greater income than that of poppies. Further, saffron cultivation is not prohibited by Islam, as opium cultivation is.

Each restaurant’s chef de cuisine will determine when saffron specials are offered at that location. Saffron is available for purchase during restaurant hours.

Finally, if they have them in stock, be sure to check out Moorenko's eggnog, butternut squash, and peppermint ice cream.* The butternut squash one tastes oddly like an orange creamsicle.

*Those are three different ice creams, by the way... not all mixed together.

Hubby went to the Capitols game last night, so I met my Brother in Law for dinner at American Flatbread. I was trying to drink cheap so I got a glass of the happy hour red wine- unfortunately this was a mistake. It was very very fruity and acidic with no depth. I understand that perhaps organic wine is a bit difficult to source, but this was not good. (I should have ordered a half price bottle, but I knew BIL would want beer) I love American Flatbread, but guys you really need to taste the wine you are serving as a house wine, it should be decent. I don't expect stellar, but I do expect it to be drinkable and well rounded. I drank it, I should have said something, but the poor bartender was being berated by a gentlemen to my left for inappropriate glassware for red wine and not chilling the red wine he ordered and I just felt bad, I didn't want to add to the laments. But I would like to be able to drink the house red so I am hoping American Flatbread reads this and chooses something different.

As a note- still no hooks at the bar or under the tall tables. I know this sounds really silly, but many of us women don't really want to travel with purse hooks as we have enough junk in our purses. And I always forget that they aren't there until I go.

The happy hour white was better. Had I known I was going to get a couple glasses I should have just gotten a bottle because the 50% off deal is a really good deal.

The revolution flatbread sans mushroom with pepperoni was delicious though. After last time I had to get it again with a little meat. Next time I will get something different, but BIL and I just wanted something simple, and they do it so well. I love the pepperoni, it is full of flavor. The tomato sauce is excellent and tangy, but savory. Anyway minus the first wine it was a really good meal. And the bartender was really nice, he let us know when happy hour was ending so we could still get drink specials if we wanted. And I like that they have games at the bar and TV it makes it nice to just hang there and have a casual evening.

I also got a groupon - we have been enjoying our visits to American Flatbread in Clarendon - staff is very personable and the flatbreads have been great. I especially liked the braised short rib special last week, although I probably would have enjoyed even more a huge bowl of the ribs over polenta...

I also got a groupon - we have been enjoying our visits to American Flatbread in Clarendon - staff is very personable and the flatbreads have been great. I especially liked the braised short rib special last week, although I probably would have enjoyed even more a huge bowl of the ribs over polenta...

This is exactly how I felt when I had it last week, lizzie. It was a nice idea, but the sauce wasn't assertive enough for me and I started pulling off the delicious tender short ribs and eating those off of the pizza. All I could taste when everything was combined together was the bite of the red onion.

The alfredo sauce pizza that was also on special, on the other hand, was quite flavorful and needed no changing at all.

Ack - Bought the Groupon then went to try this place out for lunch today which they apparently don't do on weekdays. OOPS! Oh well, got me some Hell Burger instead.

They are open for lunches on Friday (open at 12 PM). Go a lot and maybe they'll open up the other days as well! I really like the store, but it is a little out of the way for normal Clarendon foot traffic. Want to keep that crust available in Arlington for a long, long time!!

Maybe those of us who work in the area can plan a Courthouse/Clarendon lunch gathering some Friday...