American Flatbread, Broadlands - Closed

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Early Sat evening dinner at Flatbread with my wife and kids. Again, an overall positive experience.

We arrived around 6:30, which I mention only because this is the first time we arrived at our usual early hour and were seated in the front seating area, not the main dining room by the oven. Not complaining at all, probably a good sign that they were busier now than in the past. Promptly greeted by a courteous waitress who brought me a Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA and my wife a glass of Cono Sur pinot noir. I felt compelled to try this brew in particular given the claims of it being available only here. I wasn't disappointed. Though it was heavier than the beer I typically enjoy, it was was complex and flavorful and i enjoyed it very much. Maybe I wouldn't want to drink six of them but they tasted good.

First, I ordered the special salad of arugula, poached pears, and bleu cheese tossed with maple vinaigrette and my wife ordered the evolution salad, as is the norm for her. My salad was pleasant, but not outstanding. What would have elevated a nice dish into an outstanding dish? A little more from either the bleu cheese or the dressing, simple as that. The bleu cheese, while pleasant from a textural perspective, lacked the tang I was expecting. Given the nice peppery bite of the arugula, i can only imagine how nicely it would have paired with a tangy bleu cheese. The dressing also lacked the maple flavor it promised. I wasn't sure about the maple when I first heard it described and I'm not sure it would have been the missing component but a more assertive flavor to the vinaigrette would have benefitted the dish. Again, a pleasant dish given the quality of the arugula and care taken in its simple preparation but not great but it could be with some slight tweaking. My wife's evolution salad, on the other hand, in her words "gets better every time i order it." A variety of lettuces, I think some seaweed, celery, carrots toppped with toasted sesame seeds and tossed with a gingery soy vinaigrette. Nicely composed, quality ingredients, and a great salad.

Then, ordered a Med Bread flatbread and were more than pleased. The sauce is fantastic - tangy with tomato flavor yet pleasantly sweet - and the crust is crispy/chewy with a nice crunch on the bottom and slightly doughy top. Not overcheesed or oversauced so as to overpower the quality of the crust. I don't know how to compare this pizza with other top notch pizzas in the area because it's a different breed altogether. What I do know is that we will not hesitate to come back to this restaurant because they put out a consistently high quality dishes, their menus vary seasonally, and they make a sincere effort to think about the ingredients that go into the products they serve their customers. I like alot of things about this place.

Swung into the Clarendon location this evening to celebrate a pizza-lovers birthday. This was my first time visiting. The parking garage was quite the paint-threatening trick, beware the extremely tight turn on the entrance and exit. It's a bit of a hike, but elect street parking or another garage instead.

As we walked in around 5:00, my first impression of the space was "fun". The bar area included several small groups enjoying diverse brews and breads. Around the corner to the main dining area we trekked, past the flame-filled oven and then taking in the window-wrapped view of the courtyard outside. I noted booth and table seats, with a large room to the side that could probably accommodate 20 or more. My 3 year-old nephew in tow, I noticed a couple of "kids eat free" promotions, plastic straw kiddie cups, a large number of young 'uns at the other tables, and servers who appeared incredibly at ease with children.

We ordered an appetizer of spinach artichoke spread ($6.95). This was fine but uninspired with carrot, celery sticks, bread and basic plating. Best skip the first course and leave room for the flatbread, you'll thank yourself later.

The adults enjoyed our sun-dried tomato and mushroom flatbread ($16.99). A perfectly cooked, ideally textured crust. Announcement-level crunchy on the outside, chewy on the inside, the bread a mere complement to everything else going on.

Yes, American Flatbread has nailed the perfect texture.

That being said, I would have enjoyed a bit more salt or herb or some point of flavor interest in the flour to keep drawing me back. But the quality of the other ingredients shone through. Sweetness from caramelized onions and herb-rich sun dried tomato embraced hint-of-earth mushrooms and a diversity of lightly applied cheeses to fuel a race-to-the-last-piece finish.

My nephew devoured his small cheese pizza ($9.99) with similar enthusiasm. I recently taught him how to fist bump, which until tonight, had been a source of personal pride. Pride turned to slack-jawed horror and flushed embarrassment as he decided tonight was the night to fist punch, rather than fist bump, each server as they walked by. As we were getting that under control, the staff handled this far more graciously than I could have expected, top-notch hospitality.

A fun evening, a tasty flatbread, another pleasing option for family-friendly meals.

*fist bump*

Dinner on Mother's Day at Flatbreads in Clarendon was again quite enjoyable.

Started with a Dogfish 90 Minute IPA for me and a glass of Sangiovese for my wife and an order of hummus to split. I like the hummus - it has a nice kick to it. It's not as smooth texturally as a Lebanese Taverna hummus but it's flavorful. And I love the flatbread that it's served with. My first reaction, again, was that the amount of flatbread served was out of proportion with the amount of hummus but then I tasted the flatbread again and remembered how much I like it and then I didn't care. They have the texture of the flatbreads down to a science here - chewy with crispy exterior, in this case with Parmesan baked on. Fantastic. My 3 yr old loved it too.

Ordered a Revolution flatbread for our entree, substituting black olives for the caramelized to placate said 3 yr old. Again, texturally a home run and the sauce was zippy, not too sweet. Nice use of herbs to add to the flavor profile. Only gripe was that they maybe used a bit too much cheese. This sounds like sacrilege and the cheese certainly was good but I think a more judicious hand might have been in order. A minor gripe, the dish was overall quite enjoyable.

A friendly server added to our enjoyment, as did the free parking in the weird parking garage down the block that no one seems to know about.

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH - don't tell anyone about that weird parking lot. Its a SECRET. :D:lol:

I am really not sure why that parking lot is considered 'weird"? It is an underground parking lot in our building that is available for retail customers to use. It is free and there about 30 or so spaces down there.

Freaky!!!

I am really not sure why that parking lot is considered 'weird"? It is an underground parking lot in our building that is available for retail customers to use. It is free and there about 30 or so spaces down there.

Freaky!!!

Say hi next time. :lol:

I was just in that parking lot twenty minutes ago (you were closed, but the Gaelic Ale ($5.99) at American Flatbread was lovely), and it's because the entrance and exit passages are freakishly narrow. I wouldn't want to go through there with a Hummer.

Say hi next time. :lol:

I was just in that parking lot twenty minutes ago (you were closed, but the Gaelic Ale ($5.99) at American Flatbread was lovely), and it's because the entrance and exit passages are freakishly narrow. I wouldn't want to go through there with a Hummer.

What about for one?

Wednesdays here are kind of not a good night for beer drinking, as I found out, since most of the beers from the weekend drain aren't replenished until Thursday (or so I was told). The flatbread vegetarian special with roasted asparagus highlights the in-season vegetable very nicely. An appetizer to try is the Fig salad which has a pinch of argula surrounded by roasted figs stuffed with Cherry Glen goat cheese on top of a balsamic reduction. The only issue with this is that they skimped on the goat cheese, "stuffing" a mere button-sized portion in it.

No issues with the Groupon special coupon here.

An appetizer to try is the Fig salad which has a pinch of argula surrounded by roasted figs stuffed with Cherry Glen goat cheese on top of a balsamic reduction.

I agree that the salads are not to be overlooked in this place. Last weekend in Clarendon I had a lovely strawberries and spinach salad. Nothing fancy, just good, fresh ingedients simply prepared: locally sourced strawberries, spinach, red onion, toasted almonds, and dressed with a strawberry viniagrette.

Husband and I took my step-mom and two sisters out to American Flatbread Saturday night in Clarendon. We had tried to get reservations at Liberty, or Eventide, but man I don't know if it was graduations or proms, but reservations anywhere this weekend for a group were few and far between. So we decided pizza and salads. We started with the figs and pita and hummus. The figs were good, although the small amount of cheese was rather disappointing. More like a little dollop than a stuffing. The pita and hummus was good, but I am not sure I need more flatbread when I go here to start with. I liked the spicy hummus though.

We had a bottle of Organic Santa Julia Sangiovese, which was one of the better wines I have had here, but still not earthy enough for me.

For entrees we had half cheese and herb and half VA Ham on one pie and half revolution, half spinach, caramelized onion and sundried tomato on the other half. The Cheese and herb was really good, I loved the fresh herbs they were very pungent in a good way. The Virginia Ham seems to be better than it used to be, I don't know if they have tweaked the recipe, but last night it was gaining ground on Liberty Tavern's Vermont Pizza, still not all the way there, but gaining ground. I am not sure why, perhaps different cheese, ham not cooked as much? Not sure.

The revolution was good, it was supposed to be without mushrooms, but came with, which was fine with me, but other picked them off (and then I ate those too). I like the revolution with pepperoni, but this was good; however, the spinach sundried tomato and carmelized onion (with red sauce) on the other side was much much better. Fresh spinach makes so much of a difference on pizza and all the flavors melded so well. We didn't get dessert thinking we would go next door (since the line to Georgetown cupcake was around the block earlier in Gtown), but they were closed!!!!! We should have gotten apple pie... that will teach me. We were really sad Bakeshop VA was closed as I had promised they were as good as gtown cupcake. Next time, no hummus, more pie.

As spied on ARLnow.com, a petition to Arlington County to allow American Flatbread to add outdoor seating to their patio area.

If you go to their restaurant they have a lot more detail on what's going on with the outdoor seating written up on the menu.

Basically, they thought they'd be able to have it until just recently. They've tried to compromise with the community, promising no music, shutting it down by 9, and pointing out that they're not a bar with people doing shots but a quiet restaurant, yet the community organizers flat-out refuse to compromise.

I will admit that I've been in the bar area when it's gotten noisy, but that's usually due to just one or two people who are loud. All in all outdoor seating would be a huge boon for them, and I think it'd be a nice addition to the neighborhood.

Here is the post from ARLnow: American Flatbread, the wood-fired pizza restaurant that opened on North Fillmore Street in Clarendon last year, is fighting county officials and community associations for the right to open an outdoor patio.

In an exasperated email sent to customers this morning, restaurant management claims they were misled by building owners about the ease with which they would be able to obtain an outdoor seating permit. The email bemoans the “mixed signals, confusion and thousands in lost revenue” caused by the year-long, fruitless effort to get a permit.

The homeowner’s association president for the townhouses across the street from the restaurant “has made it his personal goal to use his new position of HOA president to attack all of our seating,” the email says. The Clarendon-Courthouse Civic Association has also joined the effort to block outdoor seating, despite efforts to find a compromise, according to the email.

“I have gone to meetings of these associations and offered many compromises (close by 9pm, no music, the idea that our patrons aren’t the rowdy ones doing shots and vomiting on the sidewalk on the weekends),” a restaurant representative writes. “But the HOA president and his cohorts don’t want to compromise, they just want to flat out say no and deny you the pleasure and right to enjoy what every other restaurant in the County can offer.”

The Arlington County Board is set to take up the issue at its meeting on July 10. The Planning Commission will discuss the request on Monday. Public hearings may also be held, according to county documents.

American Flatbread has started an online petition to boost its case for outdoor seating. So far, 277 people have signed.

Despite the online support, the restaurant — which specializes in organic and locally-sourced ingredients — seems to think it will lose the fight unless it can mobilize a sufficient number of people to show up in person. From the email:

We have received “off the record” information that the Arlington County Planning Division will recommend that the County Board DISALLOW our application for outdoor seating at their meeting to take place on June 28, 2010 in Room 307, 2100 Clarendon Blvd. at 7:00 P.M. Why? Because [community association opponents] spent the day last Friday leading key Planning officials around by the nose, parading around our space and characterizing you, our beloved guests and patrons as, “loud, partying, drunkards” that would disrupt their privacy. The only way to defeat these folks is to turn out enmasse on Saturday, July 10 (8:30AM) at the Board Meeting and show your support. Appreciation Party to follow at the restaurant. Thank you for your support!

FYI I plan to attend the meeting even though it is painfully early in the morning, hope to see some of you there. Outdoor seating is a big deal to me not so I can get drunk and be noisy, but so I can sit there with my dog. And I think it is silly since really their customers don't tend to be drunk or obnoxious, and if you bought property in Clarendon I kind of think that you should have seen this coming, and if you didn't you are at least benefiting by the fact that your property values haven't dropped like everyone elses.

Here is the post from ARLnow: American Flatbread, the wood-fired pizza restaurant that opened on North Fillmore Street in Clarendon last year, is fighting county officials and community associations for the right to open an outdoor patio...

Here's the outcome of the seating saga in Clarendon. Essentially, American Flatbread will be able to have seating around the corner but not the patio.

Guys the pizzas are great and they don't leave you with that (ick bloated feeling!- must be the organic crust) I eat here once a week.

Get the Virginia Sausage and have them add sauce, goat cheese and bacon.

The spinach salad is also very nice.

They have been through a lot this summer with both the County and HVAC issues

and could really use the support of this group!

-Wendy

Guys the pizzas are great and they don't leave you with that (ick bloated feeling!- must be the organic crust)

I've noticed that, too. No matter how much I eat there in a single sitting, I never leave feeling overstuffed or bloated. I don't know what it is!

Thank you to Dan for organizing and to the fine folk at American Flatbread for being such gracious hosts. It was nice to meet a few new Rockwellians and as always, good food and good conversation made for an all around enjoyable evening.

I, for one, will be returning, it is my hope that the members of the board (and by extension their friends/colleagues) who have yet to try give it a chance...I am certain you will leave impressed.

I'm pretty sure our entire table last night was impressed with the meal we had at the Clarendon American Flatbread, and doubly so with the nobly high standards the restaurant is striving to maintain.

The Vegetable Skewer Appetizer was indicative of the quality of ingredients that this restaurant is providing for its diners. The skewers could not have been more simple; yet the vegetables themselves were of the highest order.

Three out of the past four evenings, I've done a Clarendon-Courthouse Pizza Olympics - hitting Fire Works Pizza on Saturday, the new Rustico on Monday, and American Flatbread last night. There was a clear difference in quality in all three pizzas, and although I don't like making direct comparisons, the delineation here is really easy:

Gold: American Flatbread - The best pizza in the Rosslyn-Courthouse-Clarendon corridor, with Liberty Tavern its only possible competitor.

Silver: Rustico - A huge, already-packed, well-run machine with awesome beers that does not need my help to survive.

Bronze: Fire Works - Not my cup of tea at all, and it's a sin that this place was full while American Flatbread was empty.

Alert, alert! We've all seen the Cheesecake Factory on the corner of Clarendon Blvd. and N. Fillmore St. - that giant Black Hole of Soul (once you walk into those doors, it's like being sucked into the event horizon: It's a point of no return, and once you're there, you may as well just kiss your otherwise discerning taste in art, music, and literature goodbye as you achieve maximum entropy. May as well stop recycling. Stop caring about your children and grandchildren. Abandon your hot yoga class and become a You-Con-Gold couch potato. Relish Lady Gaga for the extraordinary musician she is.)

Instead ... why don't you STOP yourself at the entrance, turn around, cross Clarendon Blvd., and walk the TWO TINY BLOCKS down N. Fillmore St. to American Flatbread. It's about a 90-second walk, door-to-door, and if you aren't walking, just drive down N. Fillmore St. and park in the FREE GARAGE.

American Flatbread is your alternative to Cheesecake Factory. (It has plenty of high chairs, and is family friendly).

American Flatbread is your alternative to Cheesecake Factory. (They have an excellent beer selection (*)).

American Flatbread is your alternative to Cheesecake Factory. (Want to support local farmers? They're walking the walk.)

The people at American Flatbread are doing good, honorable work and they deserve to be full, not empty.

Tom, Tim, Todd, Warren, PLEASE have another look at this place vis-a-vis its peers. Everyone should feel passionate about their survival.

Cheers,

Rocks

(*) The chef told our table last night that he didn't have the heart to serve Miller Lite, so in its place he serves Lagunitas Pils!

Click and go.

Gold: American Flatbread - The best pizza in the Rosslyn-Courthouse-Clarendon corridor, with Liberty Tavern its only possible competitor.

Silver: Rustico - A huge, already-packed, well-run machine with awesome beers that does not need my help to survive.

Bronze: Fire Works - Not my cup of tea at all, and it's a sin that this place was full while American Flatbread was empty.

Don - Where does Pupatella fit in this mix? I love me some Pupatella.

I have to admit you are right about American Flatbread. I had a horrible service experience there the first time I visited and tried to use a Groupon. It put a bad taste in my mouth, even though the food was delicious. I am willing to forgive and forget and eat there more often. The pizza is very good and that is all that matters.

I have been meaning to get there for a while now, and having been disappointed by Rustico and Fireworks in the past, I'll put it at the top of my list next time I need pizza within walking distance.

My guess as to the different patronage btw the three - not only is American Flatbread in a less visible place, the pricing structure is different (price is higher, pie is bigger) than places with a more personal sized pie (i.e. Liberty, Pupatella et al).

Put Steve Bakers Bacon on the New Virginia Sausage and you have a mouthful of heaven! :)

Great beer list. I usually stop off one night a week and grab a beer while waiting for my pizza.

BTW - Chef Evan does all his prep and baked desserts in that brick oven.

There are not other heating elements in that place. Amazing...

I think we need a Rockwell vigil... (not to be confused with a normal vigil, a Rockwell vigil is observed by eating copious amounts of very good food and drinking a copious amount of beverages while at the same time as observing the devotion to love all good food, especially that which is locally sourced and of supreme quality) Who is with me? This event seems to be coming together here.

Although the Clarendon location has closed, the Ashburn location is still pumping out some of the best local, organic, sustainable food in the area. Here are some of their latest specials:

NEW - Cumin Apple Maple Fennel Sausage

Signature Steve Baker sausage,roasted cumin apples,Oak Spring Dairy cheddar,& sauteed Leeks

Artichoke Hearts and Olive Flatbread

Marinated Artichoke hearts, Kalamata Olives, Organic red onion, & House made Organic tomato sauce

Add chicken $2

Chicken & Chipotle Ranch Flatbread

All Natural Chicken, House made Chipotle Ranch, Oak Spring Dairy

Add Bacon $2

The chicken and chipotle ranch flatbread has become so popular that they're considering making it a permanent addition to the menu. Also, if you're not sure when to go, they have some great "special" nights:

Monday: 1/2 OFF Bottle Wine

Tuesday: 10% OFF "To Go" orders

Wednesday: New Specials

Thursday: 1/2 OFF Apps at bar 4:30-7pm

Sat/Sun: 1/2 OFF kids Med Bread 12-4pm

Happy Hour everyday at the Bar till 7pm

We are missing American Flatbread in Clarendon and may trek out to the Ashburn location this weekend. Any recent highlights?

If little man cooperates, I will report back tonight. Although, he should cooperate, since he is the one who requested to go here tonight.

^Oops. Will try again this weekend.

Edited by goodeats

We are missing American Flatbread in Clarendon and may trek out to the Ashburn location this weekend. Any recent highlights?

WEEKLY SPECIALS

Bell’s OBERON on Draft

Port City,Alexandria,VA Optimal WIT bottle

Turkish Style Lentil Soup cup/bowl

Fennel Sausage and Feta Flatbread

Steve Bakers House made Maple Fennel Sausage,House made Organic Tomato Sauce, Organic Baby Spinach, Feta Cheese, Red onion and All natural Mozzarella

Asparagus and Chevre Flatbread

Organic Asparagus, Cherry Glen Farm Chevre, Mushrooms, Red Onion, Baby Arugula, and All Natural Mozzarella

Laurie Edeline Apple Pie

Brownie Raspberry Sundae

I love it - been buying & enjoying their frozen Herb & Cheese pies for years. I don't care for the Revolution pie but, hey, that's me. Cautionary notes: taste and texture varies from package to package. Don't mean to imply a range in quality but there is a difference from pie to pie for whatever reason. Also, take 'em out of the freezer 15 minutes before baking, then watch the baking process carefully. As there is no tomato sauce, pies can overcook after seven minutes and morph into a pita chip.

After exactly four years in operation, American Flatbread in Ashburn will be closing their doors this weekend. Saturday and Sunday will be their last days open, so I encourage everyone here to trek out to Ashburn and give them one last taste.

It's a shame that in the age of "locavore" bumperstickers and restaurant websites everywhere boasting "local ingredients" that an establishment that really and truly walks the walk is forced to shut down.

I hope to see you there.

From the official announcement:

Thank you to all our loyal supporters over the years. We will be closing our doors for good Sunday at 8pm. Come out and say goodbye and share a special memory with our staff. All day Saturday $3.99 Lagunitas Drafts Noon to 9pm in celebration of our 4 years of providing Great food and service and making some amazing friends along the way.

I just don't understand why neither of the American Flatbreads survived. I never ate at the Broadlands location, but the Clarendon location had excellent pizza, a small but well thought-out beverage program, and great people. The pizza was maybe a little expensive, but unquestionably (at least to me) worth the few extra bucks. And I guess the restaurant itself was a little cold and laid out kind of weird, but it certainly wasn't a bad place to hang out. What gives? If anyone went and didn't like the place, why? And for anyone who didn't try it, was there a reason to stay away? I'm seriously curious about this.

I just don't understand why neither of the American Flatbreads survived. I never ate at the Broadlands location, but the Clarendon location had excellent pizza, a small but well thought-out beverage program, and great people. The pizza was maybe a little expensive, but unquestionably (at least to me) worth the few extra bucks. And I guess the restaurant itself was a little cold and laid out kind of weird, but it certainly wasn't a bad place to hang out. What gives? If anyone went and didn't like the place, why? And for anyone who didn't try it, was there a reason to stay away? I'm seriously curious about this.

You answered your own question. I liked this place, but was never nearly as big of a fan as some of you guys. I would imagine that this a) didn't necessarily appeal to the Cheesecake Factory and La Tasca crowd in Clarendon and more importantly b ) was about $3-6 more expensive for the pizza and apps than it probably should have been. I know someone will come in and tell me that the cost was elevated for bringing in farm fresh ingredients etc etc but if you're going to do that and commit to it, you need to find other ways to make money off of your customers, because you are hitting them over the head costwise with what should be your selling point (the pizza). Specifically, through the beverage program, much like the majority of other restaurants in DC Metro. The times I visited, I found the only thing that was actually fairly priced was the alcohol. In this model, I mark up for the alcohol and desserts, break even or make a little scratch on the apps and pizza. From what I saw they were doing that a little backwards.

People like to talk about the importance of buying local and quality ingredients, but, in reality, the vast majority of the people notice price more than anything else. AF is expensive. It's even more expensive if you consider that many people consider it to be in the pizza market. I can either get wonderful flatbread that feeds one person (maybe two) for $22 or two good large pizzas that can feed my entire family (five people) for about $25. If I'm just looking for pizza, that can be a no-brainer.

Now, I realize many will say that AF's flatbreads aren't your normal pizza. And I'd agree. They are better. But, how much better? Also, to most people (the millions of people who are the types who would never spend time on a site like this), it is "just pizza". Granted, it's tastier pizza with some interesting toppings you don't find elsewhere, but it's still "just pizza" to a lot of people. We all know tons of people who still order Dominoes or Pizza Hut or Papa Johns. They're cheap, they deliver, and to many they are "good enough". That's how most people live. They would never even consider driving 30 minutes to Ashburn to pay $20 for a personal pizza. It's difficult to be lumped in the pizza cuisine while charging nicer restaurant prices.

Unfortunately, I don't live near either of the AF locations. I'm sure I would have gone much more often if I did. The couple times I went, I loved the flatbread. But, the price and location just kept it off my personal radar. I wish it was sticking around so I could wander over there once a year and remind myself how I wish I lived closer and had more money for stuff like that. I also wish it was sticking around because it's been one of the restaurants I've liked to recommend to people.

People like to talk about the importance of buying local and quality ingredients, but, in reality, the vast majority of the people notice price more than anything else. AF is expensive. It's even more expensive if you consider that many people consider it to be in the pizza market. I can either get wonderful flatbread that feeds one person (maybe two) for $22 or two good large pizzas that can feed my entire family (five people) for about $25. If I'm just looking for pizza, that can be a no-brainer.

If I'm being honest, I didn't notice the price. My visits to the Clarendon location were good, and I enjoyed the flatbread. My visits ceased once the Clarendon location closed, largely because I rarely find myself west of Tyson's unless I'm flying out of Dulles. While I seem to remember issues with the building that AF was in in Clarendon, I think that the relative remoteness of the Broadlands location could not have helped. Honestly, were AF located in Tenleytown or Cap Hill - assuming favorable lease terms, I bet they would still be open.

Despite a painful bout of alcohol poisoning the previous night, I managed to make the trek to Ashburn for one final Flatbread binge on Sunday, the last night they were open.

It was bittersweet for so many reasons, some personal, that I won't get into here, but I just wanted to post one final thought in this thread:

post-1225-0-72640600-1307457977_thumb.jp

It will be missed!