"Top Chef" (2006-) Reality Chef-Competition Series on Bravo - Now in Season 16

cheezepowder

Just a reminder that the new season starts tomorrow night (Wed, Nov. 12) on Bravo at 10 pm. :lol:

What did people think? I know its hard to tell from one episode but to me they generally seemed to be of a lower caliber than previous seasons.

I still think that it is way too early to tell, with so many people running around like idiots during the show, it is hard to concentrate on who is legit and who isn't. Also, it was a pretty tough challenge. Granted, I know that I am not a professional chef, but if someone told me to make them some Russian food, I would be pretty screwed as well.

It's hard to tell if the chefs overall are of lower caliber or it was just that the two who got eliminated last night (and Ariane who almost got eliminated) are giving the rest of them a bad name. Also the one guy who thought he had lots of time but ended up scrambling to plate at the end will at least be better at time management the next challenge, you'd hope.

Did Ariane say she'd never had Middle Eastern food before and did the guy whose Indian dish Padma liked really never have Indian food before? I found that surprising.

Perhaps I'm on the wrong track here, but isn't this EXACTLY what Bravo is looking for? It's certainly a theme throughout most of their programming...
Maybe, but have you seen prior seasons? The prior winners and finalists (excepting Ilan) had / have serious chops and are excellent chefs.

Maybe, but have you seen prior seasons? The prior winners and finalists (excepting Ilan) had / have serious chops and are excellent chefs.
Has anyone eaten at Red Maple in Baltimore where one of the contestants is from? There is also a DC caterer (can't recall her name) - Anyone ever use?

I love this show, I just wish it were on earlier, it's past the kids' bedtime, & they're big fans, too. I agree, the large number of cheftestants makes it hard to sort them out, especially after just one episode, but I think my early favorites are Eugene, Stefan, Jamie, & Josea. There are a few more that I'll reserve judgment on, until I see more from them. Looking forward to another fun season...

Has anyone eaten at Red Maple in Baltimore where one of the contestants is from? There is also a DC caterer (can't recall her name) - Anyone ever use?

I have and generally have enjoyed her food. At least as of the last time I actually ate there, she focused on small plates that had an asian twist.

However, I went on Wednesday night for a Top Chef season premier party. $35 a person for "heavy hors d'ouvres" and the season premier shown on a projector screen, cash bar. We did finally get to taste all of the hors d'ouvres, once most of the other people in the bar had had their fill as the 3 servers who were covering the entire bar (125 people) kept skipping over those of us who were seated in the corners. When we finally got to taste the food, it was incredibly disappointing. Lots of overly sweet asian sauces, an egg roll that had some fishy (oyster?) flavor and a dill sauce (this one was downright bad), or otherwise one note dishes that seemed to rely heavily on spiciness to make up for the lack of flavor. The kicker: at 9:59 when they announced that their cable was broken and we never got to see the show!!!

I'll find it hard to cheer for her after that experience, although I'm still inclined to root for someone local and I certainly won't be rooting for the caterer. I can't wait to see if Jill is still around when they do the inevitable "catering" episode (a wedding or some other large event). I expect that will be her week to go home. :lol:

Disclaimer: Red Maple did offer us 2 free drink tickets at the gay bar across the street (Central something?), which they said had a TV where they could air the show, but we opted to not stand for a full hour watching TV in a noisy bar and went home and watched it on Tivo instead.

I love this show, I just wish it were on earlier, it's past the kids' bedtime, & they're big fans, too. I agree, the large number of cheftestants makes it hard to sort them out, especially after just one episode, but I think my early favorites are Eugene, Stefan, Jamie, & Josea. There are a few more that I'll reserve judgment on, until I see more from them. Looking forward to another fun season...
The first episode was replayed last night a little earlier (9:00 pm) so I caught it since I was too pooped to stay up on Wed. night. Not a good showing for the CIA with their folks being the first two out. Pretty easy to see that Stefan is going to be the baddie this season.

Stefan looks like one of the final three already. Ariane needs to hit the road already.

It's always a challenge to pick out the good ones this early, since there is so lilttle coverage of each individual chef, I have to admit. Give it a few more weeks and we'll all know a lot more.

The last episode was bit disappointing-first, how can you expect them to improve the classic hot dog in 30 minutes?-almost anything they could have tried would have been too 'out there' or too simple & unimaginative. 2nd, the 'New American' at Craft was pretty vague, so they could have jumped on it & done the food they knew they could slam & adapted it to the dish-there wasn't alot of this going on.

When you saw Jill pick the ostrich egg, did anyone think of the OE that ol ironstomach (Dave) ccoked at the picnic?-opened & fried on a griddle on a camp stove under a tent in the pouring rain, & much better received than Jill's boring quiche...From my favs from the 1st episode, only one, Jamie, did ok, but I thought Carla did much better this time-I love apple pie & cheddar cheese, but not together, so I applaud her decision to serve the cheese on the side.

When you saw Jill pick the ostrich egg, did anyone think of the OE that ol ironstomach (Dave) ccoked at the picnic?-opened & fried on a griddle on a camp stove under a tent in the pouring rain, & much better received than Jill's boring quiche...From my favs from the 1st episode, only one, Jamie, did ok, but I thought Carla did much better this time-I love apple pie & cheddar cheese, but not together, so I applaude her decision to serve the cheese on the side.
I absolutely thought back to that picnic, especially when Jill couldn't get the egg opened. If you remember we had a few issues getting the egg opened that day too.

I'm watching the repeat of last week's episode where they go to Rochester, NY to cook for the Foo Fighters. All I can think is that if you dragged me to Rochester to cook turkey in the rain with a microwave while pretending its Thanksgiving in the middle of summer, and didn't let me shop at the flagship Wegmans I'd be really pissed.

Throwing out 40 duck breasts and 20lbs of pork tenderloin on the eve of a late summer Christmas amfAR charity party is very edgy. Bravo!... Bravo. I can’t wait for Stefan & Jamie, Leah & Hosea, Richard & Tom to get cold sores during the Zovirax company New Year’s Eve cryovac machine makeout episode.

Anyone who can defend or tout the virtues of this season’s shitclowns and stupid conceptual mouse trap challenges (easily avoided using “the same pot” over and over again or naming salt as an ingredient) will be the toast of the egg nog heater and probably has a much cornier sweater than my skiers turning corners and leaving errant tassels of white yarn and sparkles.

I'm watching the repeat of last week's episode where they go to Rochester, NY to cook for the Foo Fighters. All I can think is that if you dragged me to Rochester to cook turkey in the rain with a microwave while pretending its Thanksgiving in the middle of summer, and didn't let me shop at the flagship Wegmans I'd be really pissed.

I would guess that Wegmans didn't pay enough to be "featured" on the show. After all, this show is more about brand placement than cooking.

The poignant moment where Hosea called his father, who is battling cancer, was made oh so much more memorable by the tight shot of the Sidekick that he was speaking into during the entire conversation.

If he had wept, I am sure we would have seen the tissue slowly pulled from the Kleenex box in glorious high definition.

Terrible.

I would guess that Wegmans didn't pay enough to be "featured" on the show. After all, this show is more about brand placement than cooking.

If I remember correctly they have a very strict policy about no filming and no pictures inside any of their stores. My parents live in Rochester and are big Top Chef fans, they had no clue that the show was being filmed there over the summer. Its kind of a small town and I can imagine that a show filming in one of the Wegmans would have been a big news story there.

I'll be watching, too, but this season is not as interesting as past seasons to me. I'm watching the season 5 reruns today (Casey, Hung, Dale), & they're much better-quickfires beside a trout river in CO, w/ Eric Ripert as a guest judge-yum!...I hope this season improves...

So - new episode, new judge, and two eliminations tonight. Does anybody even care? I can't really even remember who is still left (Ariane....and who else?) - nobody has really caught my interest this season.
Jeff has, I guess since he's blonde, from Miami, and has an employer whose name causes me to do a double-take :P every time they flash that name up on the screen.... Actually, Jeff has good techniques, but gets a little over his head sometimes, I think.

On another note, I was wondering why Ted Allen wasn't back this season, and I just noticed on Food Network, there's a competing/similar show called "Chopped" coming soon....

I think Hosea's dreamy, but can't remember a single thing he's cooked (except something with pork tenderloin that died overnight). Otherwise it's a lot of blah. Glad they chose the two that they did last night. And is it me or can't we find snarky judges from this side of the pond. I'd hate to think they brought the new judge over as a Simon Cowell-type, although he did have some positive remarks to mix with the "cat food" comments.

It didn't surprise me that they added a British judge who is known for extremely harsh remarks, I think that is some sort of requirement with reality TV shows these days. Maybe he will surprise me and be more than just a pain in the ass in the peanut gallery, but I don't have high hopes.

And, to be honest, I don't have a lot of high hopes for the chefs this season. They are probably very talented, but there is no one that draws me in, no one that makes me want to watch each week, no one that I am pulling for to win. Why? I don't know, maybe I am getting too old and mature to get all worked up about a reality TV show, but I am guessing that it has more to do with a bunch of people who just don't have the oooompth needed to mesmorize me.

Jeff has, I guess since he...has an employer whose name causes me to do a double-take :P every time they flash that name up on the screen........
:D ME TOO!

I'm very surprised that Carla hung in there yet again last night. I though Eugene should have stayed - at least he tries new things, even if the final results aren't quite there. Seems like he has the confidence that Carla lacks - if she hadn't worried so much about not doing a protein, she might not have wound up on the bottom. Hopefully she'll step it up and show what it is the judges seem to think she's capable of (or else be the next to go).

I can't remember much of anything that any of them have cooked, except for some of Ariane's dishes. She kind of reminds me of Laura from Season 3 on Project Runway (well...you have to watch something when Top Chef's not on :o ) - classic, clean interpretations that stand out for their simplicity and flawless execution.

"EEZ NO TOP SCALLOPS!"

Fabio is the only reason I watch this season. Part of it is because he's a good chef, and part of it is because he makes no effort to dispel the stereotype of the Italian chef.

You know what, I stand corrected on my earlier post, I actually like Fabio a lot. He may be cocky, but he also is self deprecating, and I think that is an awesome characteristic for someone on a reality show to have. Stefan and Jamie could use some of that.

I think tonight's episode was inspiring for me to want to help out harvesting at local farms come harvest times. Has DR done a group event (other than the farm moving/building a few years back) recently? Are there farms that look for volunteers? How would it work? Thanks.

we all know Top Chef has jumped the shark with product placement...fine, Glad Ware is ponying up the dough so they get ample face time, the wall of Diet Dr. Pepper, close ups of the stove, even the end of the show beer drinking with Brooklyn Beer, but last night's opening sequence with the I Heart Padma t-shirt (oh look someone made a cute I Heart Padma t-shirt, nope nope now available for sale on the Bravo website) was just silly.

This season is just becoming weaker and weaker. 9 chefs and the best we get after foraging through that beautiful garden is some well fried green tomatoes, a nice pie crust, and some chicken. Yawn.

Just watched last night's episode off the DVR. Does anybody else think that the new judge, Toby Whateverhisnameis, is incredibly annoying?

Yes - he goes to great lengths to come up with one-liners that he thinks are hilarious, but the amount of sheer force that he puts into trying to come up with some clever remark robs them of all humor whatsoever.

Just watched last night's episode off the DVR. Does anybody else think that the new judge, Toby Whateverhisnameis, is incredibly annoying?

Yes. He's the opposite of effortless in attempts to fashion clever, scathing critiques.

Very self-conscious and thus, pretentious. He seems to be watching himself trying to be artful while maintaining a cool demeanor, and concomitantly, squirming in response to the failure that results.

He also doesn't know when to stop talking. (Uncanny how this post matches style to subject, no?)

Choice for departure totally unfair. Just so we get to see Leah beg for some action next week.

What would you have done were you given the opportunity to cook for Dan Barber on the grounds of Blue Hill at Stone Farms?

Yes. He's the opposite of effortless in attempts to fashion clever, scathing critiques.

Very self-conscious and thus, pretentious. He seems to be watching himself trying to be artful while maintaining a cool demeanor, and concomitantly, squirming in response to the failure that results.

He also doesn't know when to stop talking. (Uncanny how this post matches style to subject, no?)

Crap, I have a doppelgänger now?!

I was almost not sure he knew of any real food adjectives for a while. Anyone can call something a festering turd, but then to say well it had an awful earthiness with an almost cadaverous stench takes more skill.

I think tonight's episode was inspiring for me to want to help out harvesting at local farms come harvest times. Has DR done a group event (other than the farm moving/building a few years back) recently? Are there farms that look for volunteers? How would it work? Thanks.
DC Central Kitchen does gleaning at local farms during the growing season. It's typically done on weekdays, so a little difficult to organize. Check out the volunteer opportunities section of their website for more info.
Aw, c'mon, that 'somebody drained a Pimm's cup and dumped it on top' line was pretty good :P - the rest of them though, not so much.

Still debating whether Hosea self-sabotaged by giving Stefan the SPAM....and whether or not Leah actually should have gotten the boot. Probably won't be long before that happens anyway, but her failure to step up as a team player was pretty lame.

This season is boring. I think there is a fundamental problem with a lot of reality "contest" shows after the first 3 seasons or so in that a lot of the people have seen the show, are fans of the show, have researched previous seasons/judges and are coming on with less pure, more celebrity focused intentions. The first couple seasons, even up until last season, seemed to attract some serious chefs. I wonder if the show has reached the point of saturation and pop culture popularity where serious chefs would consider going on "selling out" or something. Also if any of these contestants had watched previous seasons they would have realized that you can cruise a looong way by playing it safe. Maybe all the chefs have realized this when studying past seasons and figured they could just make easy, comfortable dishes and coast through to the last 4-5. Then they would bust out the good stuff in the home stretch. Bottom line I think the judges need to start enforcing a "safe dish" policy similar to diving calls in soccer. If it is obvious enough to be an insult to the judges intelligence, you are booted. Even if someone else mistakenly served raw chicken, you are out. Do that once or twice a season and I think we would see more interesting adventurous dishes being served every week. This same rule is applied to the people who just disregard the entire challenge, make a dish they wanted to make anyways, and then find a way to explain how it fits the challenge.

Wow - no comments on last night's "Restaurant Wars" episode. Was everybody so tired from Tuesday night that they were in bed before the show started - or are they so bored with this season they couldn't be bothered to watch?

I think it was obvious from the get-go that either Leah or Radhika was going to be going home. Neither have shown themselves to be particularly strong leaders throughout the season and I didn't expect that was going to change for Restaurant Wars. Personally, I would rather have seen Leah go home (I mean - RAW fish, c'mon!) - but she made it through on the backs of the other members of her team, specifically those fabulous foreign fellows - Fabio and Stefan. (It must have sucked to be Stefan and be the last one picked - childhood gym class flashback!) I don't even want to get into the Hosea-Leah hookup - puhleaze...

I stopped finding Carla annoying and have decided she is merely KoOkY! Keep on sending the LOVE :P

The whole Carla sending out love thing was beyond kooky. It was bizarre (if that's beyond kooky).

And I still can't stand Toby. My guess is that he's watched previous seasons of TC and has decided that he wants to be the new Bourdain . But he's trying too hard, and he's just not as witty as Bourdain.