"Top Chef" (2006-) Reality Chef-Competition Series on Bravo - Now in Season 16

cheezepowder

During season 1 (?) Stephan, the arrogant sommelier, said some really horrible things to and about a young woman contestant (can't recall her name), who was still a student in culinary school at the time, and was clearly lacking in experience. Still, things he said were awful and were used by the producers of the show to cast him as a villain. During the "reunion" episode, he was very remorseful and apologized to her. I suspect that the pressure of the hothouse atmosphere of everyone living together and competing against each other on a daily basis puts stress on less emotionally mature and grounded individuals. Plus, who knows how much the contestants are manipulated by the producers of the show in order to amp up the interpersonal conflicts.

Isolation+pressure+booze=shaved heads. Good tv. Well, good ratings.

This season's contestants seem more mature and focused. While we catch glimpses of them in the house, there does not seem to be an emphasis on partying--maybe just some blowing off of steam. For me, it makes TC more watchable when skills, challenges and the food are the focus (foci?).

Stephen's apology was a wine-fueled 'I love you man" moment. It was kind of cute. I wonder if Stephen is cooking now. He struck me as a sommelier at heart. Such passion.

While Ash was not ever going to make it to the final, I was a bit puzzled at his getting ejected this time around, particularly considering the catfood comment and the instant coffee sludge comments of the other bottom 3.

Ah well, restaurant wars is next week, so that should be entertaining.

During season 1 (?) Stephan, the arrogant sommelier, said some really horrible things to and about a young woman contestant (can't recall her name), who was still a student in culinary school at the time, and was clearly lacking in experience. Still, things he said were awful and were used by the producers of the show to cast him as a villain. During the "reunion" episode, he was very remorseful and apologized to her. I suspect that the pressure of the hothouse atmosphere of everyone living together and competing against each other on a daily basis puts stress on less emotionally mature and grounded individuals. Plus, who knows how much the contestants are manipulated by the producers of the show in order to amp up the interpersonal conflicts.

I went to college with Stephan and we have several mutual friends. He is a good persom- in addition to being talented.

While Ash was not ever going to make it to the final, I was a bit puzzled at his getting ejected this time around, particularly considering the catfood comment and the instant coffee sludge comments of the other bottom 3.

I think the judges violated their well-rehearsed edict that they judge each challenge on its own. It was three strikes and you're out for Ash. He just had not shown much over the last few episodes and, perhaps more importantly, shown a distinct lack of confidence.

I think the judges violated their well-rehearsed edict that they judge each challenge on its own. It was three strikes and your out for Ash. He just had not shown much over the last few episodes and, perhaps more importantly, shown a distinct lack of confidence.

I thought the same thing, exactly.

How on earth did Kevin make enough terrine for 150 people in four hours? First, he had to bone out the pork leg. In order to make decent-tasting terrine, you need to marinate the meat, then grind and season it, cook it in a water bath for at least an hour. Rest under a weight and chill in order to be able to have neat slices. In four hours?

I've often wondered that a lot when watching timed cooking shows. I mean, you can work your ass off to get things done quickly, but you can't change the laws of the universe.

"Are we to believe that boiling water soaks into a grit faster in your kitchen than anywhere else on the face of the earth? Well, I guess the laws of physics cease to exist on top of your stove. Were these magic grits? Did you buy them from the same guy who sold Jack his beanstalk beans?"

I'm sure even with all the tricks in the world... pressure cooking, vacuum packing, injecting... you don't end up with as good a product as you would the old fashioned way.

"Are we to believe that boiling water soaks into a grit faster in your kitchen than anywhere else on the face of the earth? Well, I guess the laws of physics cease to exist on top of your stove. Were these magic grits? Did you buy them from the same guy who sold Jack his beanstalk beans?"

Hahaha! Great reference Dan.

I've often wondered that a lot when watching timed cooking shows. I mean, you can work your ass off to get things done quickly, but you can't change the laws of the universe.

There are products called "instant grits" and "quick-cooking grits," Dan. Don't think there's "instant pork terrine," however. :(

2. How on earth did Kevin make enough terrine for 150 people in four hours? First, he had to bone out the pork leg. In order to make decent-tasting terrine, you need to marinate the meat, then grind and season it, cook it in a water bath for at least an hour. Rest under a weight and chill in order to be able to have neat slices. In four hours?

On his blog, Tom acknowledges the issues that Zora raises without really explaining how Kevin solved them:

"Kevin had drawn the leg of the pig to work with. There are a few things one could do. For example, one could have roasted the whole thing, or steamed it out and then sliced it into cutlets and made a schnitzel. Kevin went very simple: he chose to grind up the whole thing and make a pate, a terrine. It was kind of risky, actually, as a terrine really needs to be made well in advance to let it cure and let the flavors blend. Another potential pitfall is that while a terrine seems like a simple thing – basically a cold meat-loaf – you need to make sure that everything (and I mean everything) is very, very cold when you’re grinding it – the pork, the blade, everything – so that you’re actually cutting it and not just making mush. And, finally, a terrine needs to be seasoned well from the get-go; you can’t cook it and adjust the seasoning at the end. It is thus deceptively simple while actually requiring finesse and skill in execution on several levels to pull off well. Kevin had that skill."

On his blog, Tom acknowledges the issues that Zora raises without really explaining how Kevin solved them:

"Kevin had drawn the leg of the pig to work with. There are a few things one could do. For example, one could have roasted the whole thing, or steamed it out and then sliced it into cutlets and made a schnitzel. Kevin went very simple: he chose to grind up the whole thing and make a pate, a terrine. It was kind of risky, actually, as a terrine really needs to be made well in advance to let it cure and let the flavors blend. Another potential pitfall is that while a terrine seems like a simple thing – basically a cold meat-loaf – you need to make sure that everything (and I mean everything) is very, very cold when you’re grinding it – the pork, the blade, everything – so that you’re actually cutting it and not just making mush. And, finally, a terrine needs to be seasoned well from the get-go; you can’t cook it and adjust the seasoning at the end. It is thus deceptively simple while actually requiring finesse and skill in execution on several levels to pull off well. Kevin had that skill."

I always make rillettes using a technique half way between a braise and a confit. Lots of rendered fat and some wine and water to raise the liquid level to about 2/3 cover the meat and then cook slowly for about 8 hours. It's a recipe that I concocted after consulting with the people at Hardouin in Vouvray (best rillettes in the world) and using parts of recipes from Anne Willan and Paul Bocuse. I never cover it completely with fat as with a confit, or braise it only in liquid. It turns out rich,fatty and delicious. In fact, I just made some on Sunday and took it to work yesterday for staff snack.

That being said, when Laurine said she was making a confit in such a short amount of time, I knew she was heading for disaster. On top of the necessary presalting time, and the lengthy cooking time, there wouldn't have been enough time for it to cool before serving.

I always make rillettes using a technique half way between a braise and a confit. Lots of rendered fat and some wine and water to raise the liquid level to about 2/3 cover the meat and then cook slowly for about 8 hours. It's a recipe that I concocted after consulting with the people at Hardouin in Vouvray (best rillettes in the world) and using parts of recipes from Anne Willan and Paul Bocuse. I never cover it completely with fat as with a confit, or braise it only in liquid. It turns out rich,fatty and delicious. In fact, I just made some on Sunday and took it to work yesterday for staff snack.

This sounds fabulous. Do you cure for 24 hours or just overnight? Anything else besides salt and thyme?

I think the judges violated their well-rehearsed edict that they judge each challenge on its own.

I am convinced that they violated it again in sending Laurine home. Granted she didn't do a great job as FOH, but Jen's and Kevin's dishes were major FAILS. And as much as I love Kevin, the sight of the bloody lamb dish made me ill. Clearly, the judges took into account their past performances and were loathe to send either one of them home.

I am convinced that they violated it again in sending Laurine home. Granted she didn't do a great job as FOH, but Jen's and Kevin's dishes were major FAILS. And as much as I love Kevin, the sight of the bloody lamb dish made me ill. Clearly, the judges took into account their past performances and were loathe to send either one of them home.

Hear, hear. I was convinced that Jen ought to have been sent packing and very sad at how unfair that would have been given her strengths.

No matter what the rules are, the decisions during Elimination rounds are not unlike those one makes when assigning final grades. You play with numbers a bit when your stomach tells you the person deserves better. Jen did. Laurine didn't.

Hear, hear. I was convinced that Jen ought to have been sent packing and very sad at how unfair that would have been given her strengths.

No matter what the rules are, the decisions during Elimination rounds are not unlike those one makes when assigning final grades. You play with numbers a bit when your stomach tells you the person deserves better. Jen did. Laurine didn't.

I agree, Anna. I just think the judges shouldn't have said that they would judge each competition individually, when in reality, that isn't what they're actually doing.

I haven't followed Laurine's cooking all that much. I know that Jen has done well in the past and has shown that she's a real contender. I felt bad for her, but I have to say I still take issue with the the judges' determination that Laurine's poor showing as FOH was worse than some of the dishes that fell miserably short. After reading Tom C.'s blog, I'm even more convinced that they're just making excuses. There was no way that they were going to send Jen or Kevin home at this point in the competition.

Tom's blog: http://www.bravotv.com/top-chef/blogs/tom-colicchio/clambs-lamb-and-a-traffic-jam

I agree that the decision was probably fueled mostly by trends rather than just what happened this episode, but even disregarding Laurine's lackluster record, she did poorly enough this time around to legitimate her being sent home.

Kevin's pork dish wasn't a failure from what the judge's said, and while the lamb was too rare, it was also the dish that Laurine was responsible for, so she should have pushed harder to get it cooked the way she wanted it done, especially after telling Tom she was turning back any plates she wasn't happy with. Really, she was disastrous as FOH. When she didn't even explain the dishes to the judges, I knew she was screwed. And based on the comments they showed from diners, it wasn't just the judges who felt like they weren't getting enough "education" about what they were eating.

As for Jen, she really screwed up. But it would have been insane for them to boot her, especially since it seemed like Laurine should have been out last week after her total misunderstanding of technique and resulting sucky dish.

Kevin's pork dish wasn't a failure from what the judge's said, and while the lamb was too rare, it was also the dish that Laurine was responsible for, so she should have pushed harder to get it cooked the way she wanted it done, especially after telling Tom she was turning back any plates she wasn't happy with. Really, she was disastrous as FOH. When she didn't even explain the dishes to the judges, I knew she was screwed.

I don't recall what the judges said about Kevin's pork dish, but certainly it wasn't a hit with them. Besides Jen's major screw-ups, what stood out for me(and the dish I specifically commented on in my post above) was the under-cooked lamb. I agree with what you said about Laurine's failure to push harder to have the lamb cooked to her liking, especially b/c she told Tom she would do so. I also think she made a huge mistake when she didn't explain the dishes when serving them. At the same time, I also think the FOH person should not have been made responsible for a particular dish given all the other things that person needs to do. And like I said before, if the judges hadn't said that they would be assessing each competition on its own merits, it would be fine to rate cheftestants based on cumulative performance (kind of like getting a final grade).

I also think that because the judges emphasized teamwork and even talked about leadership in this competition/episode, they could have considered other factors (e.g., Michael V.'s behavior in the kitchen, some of the stuff Robin said, and perhaps the lack of a true team effort on Jen's team. I think I saw something somewhere (Tom's blog or elsewhere) about Mike I. not helping as much as he could have. Surely, someone could have helped Jen.

I forgot to mention how pleased I was that the judges liked Bryan V.'s dessert! I must say, based on my one-time experience at Volt, I think Bryan is a talented pastry chef. I had a delicious peach tarte tatin and probably would have enjoyed what the judges had (spearmint ice cream with some sort of chocolate ganache combination?). Yum. :(

Based on performance, sending Laraine packing was the right thing to do. What would have been worse, if you think about it, is if the kitchen performed really well, sent out good food and wowed the judges. They win and carry Laraine, who's FOH skills were shockingly bad, particularly in light of her specifically mentioning her experience.

I think she volunteered to be safe, unlike Eli, who could cook circles around Laraine and still went to the FOH as a team member-move. He was on point the whole night it seemed.

For Laraine to send out undercooked meat-she just gave up. Padma asking for salt is a huge red flag-go back to the cooks and tell them to GET IT TOGETHER! There was no going the extra mile. She's done. Put a fork in her. I have to say, I'm getting a bit worried about Jen because she's looking a bit spent, too. I hope she's not a pace setter who comes up short in the end. As an Eric Ripert-trained chef (for 5 years?), f(*&cking up fish is embarassing.

I don't know-I could just sense the apathy in that kitchen.

In the other kitchen, Michael V. demonstrated even more sexism towards Robin. And, when someone tells you to RELAX! (x5 or 6) when they've just personally insulted you makes me want to rip their eyeballs out. I would have been flinging expletives too. His cocky demeanor was over the top. You don't demand respect, you earn it.

Just got around to watching this week's episode--thank God for the DVR when there's a three-week old in the house. A few thoughts:

-I thought the Quickfire challenge--the tag-team dish challenge--was fantastic. One of the best Quickfires ever. I'm surprised it took them this long to do that one.

-For long-time watchers, there were some interesting rules modifications in the Restaurant Wars. Clearly, they had gotten complaints in the past from either judges or contestants that judging the contestants on decor was simply unfair. They also seem to have figured out that the FOH job is hard to judge in a competition that's ultimately supposed to be about cooking, so they ensured that everybody had *something* to do with the cooking.

-Giving them three-hours to prep the food for their restaurant openings was pretty intense. That was Jen's biggest problem. She simply wasn't prepped for service.

-Based on cooking alone, Jen should have gone home. They clearly judged this one on cumulative performance. The problem is that the judges can't admit that. There's a reason they say over-and-over again that they judge each challenge on its own. Otherwise, we'd know who the finalists are halfway through the season. This way, they still *could* send Kevin home next week despite his (mostly) outstanding performance so far. And that keeps us watching. . .

If they decided on only the merits of the given challenge, Jen should probably have been sent home. Kevin had a dish that, while not perfect, saved his bacon. Mike I. got a pass because he didn't screw anything up. Laurine failed at the FOH and for not sticking to her guns about her dish's execution by Kevin. I think their team failed due to a lack of coordination on all parts and Laurine got the brunt of things. I think that it is kind of unfair to place the contestants at the FOH because, let's be honest, how many times do you actually see the chef of a given restaurant out on the floor? Are they expediting and smoothing out problems in the kitchen and so on? Sure. But if that is the intent of what they are being graded on (and a dish of their own creation executed by another) then let them expedite. But I suppose that ain't good tv.

I thought the challenge was great for the quickfire. Very neat to see how each chef took on the challenge and learned to adapt to the situation.

Oh, and I think it'd be interesting to have an amateur top chef thing - not sure if it'd be good tv or not, or even worth watching. But if they kept the challenges a bit more structured, they might have something there. Of course, picking the right people, generally people who like to cook and know how to cook would be needed, not people who barely know how to slice bread.

Does anyone know when the last episode of this season's Top Chef will be shown? Next week's episode, which was shot at Craftsteak, Tom Colicchio's Las Vegas restaurant, will feature Natalie Portman as a guest client. And on November 11, Nigella Lawson will be a guest judge in an episode that will have the chefs creating "a perfect breakfast in bed".

Can't wait until the finale.

Does anyone know when the last episode of this season's Top Chef will be shown? Next week's episode, which was shot at Craftsteak, Tom Colicchio's Las Vegas restaurant, will feature Natalie Portman as a guest client. And on November 11, Nigella Lawson will be a guest judge in an episode that will have the chefs creating "a perfect breakfast in bed".

Well, there are seven left and the last episode has three contestants. I would guess there won't be a show on the Wednesday evening before Thanksgiving. I'm not sure what that adds up to in terms of when it will be (maybe it's even over before T-giving?).

The Natalie Portman episode is tonight, and anybody with even a casual knowledge of Natalie Portman likely knows what the challenge will be.

Natalie Portman would be THE perfect breakfast in bed.

The Natalie Portman episode is tonight, and anybody with even a casual knowledge of Natalie Portman likely knows what the challenge will be.

I don't watch the show but I saw this in the thread and thought the exact same thing. I'm amazed she'd walk in the door of the restaurant, given her feelings.

(and @washingtony: the bantha milk joke is funny, despite my desire to wipe the prequels from history, they're so bad. :( )

Well, there are seven left and the last episode has three contestants. I would guess there won't be a show on the Wednesday evening before Thanksgiving. I'm not sure what that adds up to in terms of when it will be (maybe it's even over before T-giving?).

Thanks. I've been kind of involved in a big discussion about the last episode, so by next week I meant this week! And yes, re: Natalie Portman, I understand it's likely to be a vegetarian or vegan focused challenge. Should be interesting!

Thanks. I've been kind of involved in a big discussion about the last episode, so by next week I meant this week! And yes, re: Natalie Portman, I understand it's likely to be a vegetarian or vegan focused challenge. Should be interesting!

surprised no-one has weighed in on Mike I's departure yet - again while there's little doubt he can cook rings around Robin, he's also an arrogant jerk so it was deliciously ironic that he had to pack his knives before she did

I am hoping that Robin is next though - if she lasts much longer it will be a travesty.

Jen seems to be really struggling

Brian V needs to step up his game a little, I haven't tallied all the wins but get the impression Kevin and Mike V are more consistently impressing the judges

and last but not least "Its like a little prick in my mouth" :( We were rolling on the floor laughing

Granted we don't know what ingredients were at CraftSteak (either no one used any or there was a serious lack of grain, lentils etc.) other than a walk-in full of veggies, but Mike, dude, you yourself mentioned that your restaurant has 20+ veggie dishes on the menu. He blew it big time. even your yogurts weren't going to save you :(

Granted we don't know what ingredients were at CraftSteak (either no one used any or there was a serious lack of grain, lentils etc.) other than a walk-in full of veggies, but Mike, dude, you yourself mentioned that your restaurant has 20+ veggie dishes on the menu. He blew it big time. even your yogurts weren't going to save you :(

Lentils on Eli's plate along with a nearly balanced array of ingredients (raw salad, cooked eggplant ringed by the protein) that lacked only the grains. Robin used a paltry number of fresh chickpeas (--couldn't believe she never stuffed a squash blossom before!). Otherwise, yeah, Mike I, especially knows what proteins vegetarians eat given the Middle-Eastern/Med. menu at Z. E.g., nuts (one dessert had toasted pinenuts) as well as legumes!

Everyone was too literal: vegetarians eat vegetables. What made the finalist V bro stand out was the fact that he bothered to think about substantiality on his plate when he added the polenta, an important issue for feeding and filling the stomach of a vegetarian even if you don't want to stuff the judges as they're assessing the competition, too.

Plus, I didn't realize NP was a vegetarian and not a vegan. The former category is so much more inclusive!!! EGGS! Cheese! Cream! ggggggggggggg :P

surprised no-one has weighed in on Mike I's departure yet - again while there's little doubt he can cook rings around Robin, he's also an arrogant jerk so it was deliciously ironic that he had to pack his knives before she did

I am hoping that Robin is next though - if she lasts much longer it will be a travesty.

Jen seems to be really struggling

Brian V needs to step up his game a little, I haven't tallied all the wins but get the impression Kevin and Mike V are more consistently impressing the judges

There's a lot I could say about Mike I's being sent home, but I think his "exit interview" speaks volumes:

http://video.bravotv.com/top-chef/videos/second-to-worst-dish

And it is hard to believe that Robin is still around. Jen seems to lack stamina for this kind of competition. Some viewers have said that it's because she's been sick, but given her comments and perhaps how the show's producers portray her, I'd say her lack of self-confidence and self-doubt mean that she's beating herself. It's a shame.

And I agree with you that Kevin and Mike V. are impressing the judges more than Bryan V. In fact, my impression of Tom Colicchio's blog is that he's practically handing the competition to Kevin. He's knocking the V. brothers' techniques even though he does give Mike V. some credit for taking a risk with his latest dish.

http://video.bravotv.com/top-chef/blogs/tom-colicchio/if-you-can-mock-a-leek-you-can-eat-a-leek-william-shakespeare-henry-v

And it is hard to believe that Robin is still around.

Take a close look at the closing credits where they state that the production team has a say in the judge's decisions. In this season we actually have 4 or 5 really solid chefs and not a head case among them. They see the need for a "wild card" in there presumably to keep viewers' interest. I guess Robin is going to piss of the other contestants more than keeping Mike I around (see the preview for next week). If she makes it past next week you know the fix is in.

Take a close look at the closing credits where they state that the production team has a say in the judge's decisions. In this season we actually have 4 or 5 really solid chefs and not a head case among them. They see the need for a "wild card" in there presumably to keep viewers' interest. I guess Robin is going to piss of the other contestants more than keeping Mike I around (see the preview for next week). If she makes it past next week you know the fix is in.

Ted, I hear what your saying and suspect the same. I don't know if you're on Chowhound, but there was a tumultuous discussion there recently (the Restaurant Wars thread) in which someone raised this very point (I believe he is a dr.com user too), and most of the hounds (seemingly long-time users) jumped all over him. And some guy who's friends with the show's producers also jumped all over me when I suggested (as many others have) that the judges have had certain people they want to keep around and some that they decided they oouldn't send home at various times [e.g., the decision to send Laurine vs. Jen home in the RW episode]). It was ugly to say the least. We shall see what happens in the next episode...Who knows--maybe if the consensus (or even focus groups) show that Michael V. is getting too obnoxious for words, he might be next (I hope not!).

Who knows--maybe if the consensus (or even focus groups) show that Michael V. is getting too obnoxious for words, he might be next (I hope not!).

nah reality TV producers like to have the talented person you love to hate in the finals. Happens all the time on Project Runway! :(

while no one will admit to a producer fix, I'm sure they have voiced their preferrances. at the end of Restaurant Wars who is going to get the producer vote, the spunky, talented chef that has been doing well but is showing signs of cracking...or the chef who has been plodding along in quiet mediocrity.

Thanks for posting the link, monavano. I even submitted a couple of questions, one of which was answered.

Here are some of Mike Isabella's comments from the chat that I found interesting:

1) on being portrayed as “cocky and sexist":

Mike Isabella: Cocky? I can deal with that. Sexist? Not one bit. Not oooone bit.

2) on the Laurine vs. Jen going home controvery (RW episode):

Mike Isabella: I think they both had very poor performances. Jen crumbled. She couldn't execute, wasn't set up. She brought the rest of the line down. She brought Kevin down, expo down. It is what it is. Was Laurine the right one to go home? I don't know about that. I'm not going to say who should or shouldn't go home.

3) on the producers' portrayal of the Voltaggio brothers’ sibling rivalry:

Washington, D.C.: How much is the Michael/Bryan rivalry played up by producers? Did this go on when the camera's weren't rolling?

Mike Isabella: It was played up by producers. They're brothers. They love each other. There's some rivalry, but of course they're going to produce it because it's marketable

4) on the actual length of the contest:

Olney, Md.: How long is the actual contest? A few weeks? A month? I'm curious.

Mike Isabella: Six weeks

5) on the judges:

Stone Ridge, Va.: Who would you rather have dinner with - Padma or Tom?

Mike Isabella: Tom without a doubt. Tom's a chef. We relate. Padma --- pbbbbtt -- I wouldn't go out to dinner if she was buying. Just joking!

Washington, D.C.: Is Toby really as mean as they make him out to be?

Mike Isabella: I don't know. He wasn't there a lot and when he was there I wasn't in the loser circle. The harshest judge there is Padma. It's her demeanor as a person. It's who she is! It's TV. She's harsh and rude. I don't agree with certain things that they say, but that's not my decision

6) on Robin (just a few of his comments):

Washington, D.C.: You mean to tell me Robin is still there? That woman could not cook her way out of a paper bag.

Mike Isabella: That's totally true. She can't cook.

Washington, D.C.: Did you like doing the challenges in pairs? I felt that some chefs were able to slide to the next round based on their partner's work. Especially when the chefs were teamed up w/ the Voltaggio bros.

Mike Isabella: Yeah, I don't like team challenges at all. I'd rather it be individual challenges every single time. It was fun sometimes with the groups, but definitely people skated along aka Robin.

Well I think it's now clear that Mike I didn't just get a "bad edit" from the producers. He really is an obnoxious tool. And those leeks looked awful.

Everyone was too literal: vegetarians eat vegetables. What made the finalist V bro stand out was the fact that he bothered to think about substantiality on his plate when he added the polenta, an important issue for feeding and filling the stomach of a vegetarian even if you don't want to stuff the judges as they're assessing the competition, too.

I too was surprised by the lack of grains, beans or dairy in most of the dishes. I wasn't expecting CraftSteak to have tofu laying around (nor would I want to see them cook tofu -- they probably would have just used tofu as a stand-in fake meat anyway) but I'm sure any restaurant kitchen has rice, flour, eggs, cream, cheeses, etc. Some of the dishes looked like tiny little amuses of vegetables and basically hewed to the stereotype of vegetarian meals as "rabbit food."

I just don't see the requirement that a dish be vegetarian as a huge limitation, personally, but it seemed like many of the chefs saw it that way.

I don't buy it. The disclaimer say that they discuss their decision with the producers. That could include many different things. Does having Robin on the show instead of Mike I. really improve their ratings? I doubt it. I'm willing to trust that Mike's leeks really were that bad. Why is that so hard to believe?

I don't buy it. The disclaimer say that they discuss their decision with the producers. That could include many different things. Does having Robin on the show instead of Mike I. really improve their ratings? I doubt it. I'm willing to trust that Mike's leeks really were that bad. Why is that so hard to believe?

And because the leeks somewhat had the shape of what? a steak-that's your "protein"? Thinking back though, did Robin have any protein on her plate besides a couple beans (on the plates that actually had the beans)?

Jen continues to spiral down into self-doubt and negativity.

I'm calling Kevin, or maybe, maybe Mike V.

To many vegetarians (including me when I am one), Mike I's dish would have seemed like the worst sort of hostility from a chef - that he cared so little for their pleasure that he made the center of the plate be undercooked leeks apparently without any flavor added, and that he mocked the whole concept of vegetarianism by calling this his "protein"!? There are really nice ways of making leeks the center of a plate - Michel Richard has a leek "tartar" that is really really good as well as easy to make. They are cooked, and they have added ingredients to make the flavor something other than "here's your damn vegetables." Had I been the judge, I would have read it as his expression of his displeasure at experiencing meatus-interruptus. And pack your knives and go, every time.

Plus, I didn't realize NP was a vegetarian and not a vegan. The former category is so much more inclusive!!! EGGS! Cheese! Cream! ggggggggggggg :(

I totally agree. Where was the pasta for crying out loud?!

I'm not sorry to see Mike I. go, but Robin making it to live another week is just nuts.

Oh, and I sooooooooooooooo want to eat Kevin's cooking.