cheezepowder

"Top Chef" (2006-) Reality Chef-Competition Series on Bravo - Now in Season 16

Is Padma Lakshmi not the hottest thang on the planet?

Wow. ;):P

A three-way with Padma and Giada... you could kill me Braveheart-William Wallace style afterwards and it'd be worth it.

I am not surprised Sandee was given the axe, what with it not even really being BBQ. But Joey and Howie have issues and will need to drastically change if they expect to last more than a week or two more.

So far, I am liking the fact that they are not asking these guys to make food out of vending machines and other bizarro experiments. Give them 'real' food challenges and let's see what happens, so more of what they have been doing please is fine with me.

And in Season 1, Tiffany stood there bold faced taking credit for Dave's dessert during the finale when she went up against Harold. With her cooking chops, she should have had the humility to give him the kudos. Judging from the competition with Season 2, it appears she's grown a bit.

I would keep picturing Salman Rushdie (ala Lumberg sex dream sequence in Office Space) though. How could they be married?!?

By the way was that dude Clay creepy or what? In his parting words he said something about "learning to just follow his heart" from his Dad. Not trying to be insensitive but uh.... didn't his dad's heart tell him to commit suicide? I thought that was kind of weird.

I would keep picturing Salman Rushdie (ala Lumberg sex dream sequence in Office Space) though. How could they be married?!?

I don't know. Maybe I need to get on an Ayatollah's shit list somehow.

The Satanic Cookbook

by Al-man Dentie

I already have an idea for a dessert-- "A Trifle Too Satanic"

By the way was that dude Clay creepy or what? In his parting words he said something about "learning to just follow his heart" from his Dad. Not trying to be insensitive but uh.... didn't his dad's heart tell him to commit suicide? I thought that was kind of weird.

I thought the same thing when Clay said that.

It would have been funny to see the guests' and judges' reactions to Sara's dish if she'd used the scotch bonnet pepper marinade, but I guess she left it off.

I thought the same thing when Clay said that.

It would have been funny to see the guests' and judges' reactions to Sara's dish if she'd used the scotch bonnet pepper marinade, but I guess she left it off.

Sara...what to say about her. She's a cook or chef or whatever and she has no idea that Scotch Bonnets are a ridiculously hot pepper? AND, she doesn't know how to light charcoal briquets? Puh-leeze!!

Sara...what to say about her. She's a cook or chef or whatever and she has no idea that Scotch Bonnets are a ridiculously hot pepper? AND, she doesn't know how to light charcoal briquets? Puh-leeze!!

I was thinking "jeez, I hope she doesn't rub her eyes or touch any sensitive body parts for a few days" after she chopped the peppers without gloves.

Did anyone happen to catch where Joey hails from? I'm guessing maybe somewhere on the East Coast, but I'm just not sure. ;)

Hot banana peppers and cubanella can look similar. Reminds me of a dish I had a long time ago. It was so painfully hot but wonderful, because it was doused with mozzerella. Take a hot banana pepper, fill with ground meat and top with marinara in a casserole dish. Cook at 350 for 40 minutes, then add tons of shredded mozzerella for another 5 minutes to melt. Pain and pleasure all at once.

Yes, be at least buzzed and drinking beer.

Padma to Divorce Rushdie!

Goes to show you how widely read this website is... obviously she saw what I wrote!

Padma Likeshmi!!! ;)

Why was she ever married to such an older guy anyway? I'll never quite understand why that happens seemingly all too often.

Any comments on last week's ejection from the show before this week? I was almost sure it was not gonna be Mica, but instead the person who made chicken a la king, but who am I to say?

Why was she ever married to such an older guy anyway? I'll never quite understand why that happens seemingly all too often.

Any comments on last week's ejection from the show before this week? I was almost sure it was not gonna be Mica, but instead the person who made chicken a la king, but who am I to say?

in this country, the older the groom the greater the difference in age with the bride. by the time the groom is 60, the average age of the bride is quite young by comparison, according to 20-year-old or so research by george masnick of the harvard joint center for housing studies. some younger women marry older men for the financial security so they don't have to worry about shopping at saks. some women wouldn't want to marry rushdie because of the islamic hit out on him, and that's what marianne wiggins publicly said broke up their marriage, although he was in hiding at the time.

i must have missed an episode. all i can remember is that they threw off the australian who was disdainful of american comfort food because there was a strange aftertaste to her updated meatloaf and she never divulged the secret ingredient.

i must have missed an episode. all i can remember is that they threw off the australian who was disdainful of american comfort food because there was a strange aftertaste to her updated meatloaf and she never divulged the secret ingredient.
That was Micah - who was South African. Her meatloaf did look horribly unappetizing! Now she can go be with her daughter. I hate when they skip a week...holiday weeks full of specials and reruns are sad.

That was Micah - who was South African. Her meatloaf did look horribly unappetizing! Now she can go be with her daughter. I hate when they skip a week...holiday weeks full of specials and reruns are sad.

okay, it's all starting to come back to me. the reinvented chicken a la king was hauled in because it didn't resemble the original recipe at all -- although you could have fooled me because i have entirely forgotten what chicken a la king is (a chicken's way of being chipped beef on toast?). however, it was apparently at least borderline edible, and micah's was terrible. viewers really have to trust the judges on what's going on with the dishes because they can only make assumptions based on what the plate looks like, and those are whisked away fairly quickly. the trick in these shows is all in the editing, which provides clues, some of them misleading, about the final outcome.

one hanging question: now that he has been called on the carpet for sticking to fish, everyone will be watching closely to see how well the chef from oceanaire in san diego is able to cook meat. (one of our sons recently worked at that restaurant, so i'll have to ask him what he knows. he also worked at the restaurant of the san diego chef who lost the round where everyone had to cook on the beach; all he would tell us was that he didn't think he was going to make it even though he was a good cook.)

Bravo has recipies on their website, and Micah's meatloaf recipe is here. Secret ingredient of raisins? The chicken a la king recipe is here and sounds better. It could be fun to have a Top Chef party where people make the dishes from the challenge based on the recipes on Bravo's website. There must be people out there who have done that.

Bravo has recipies on their website, and Micah's meatloaf recipe is here. Secret ingredient of raisins? The chicken a la king recipe is here and sounds better. It could be fun to have a Top Chef party where people make the dishes from the challenge based on the recipes on Bravo's website. There must be people out there who have done that.

I think she used raisins because she is South African, where bobotie, a meatloaf essentially, uses raisins. The thing is, she's quite familiar with a loaf of meat and not the deer in headlights she portrayed. Plus she spent her middle and highschool in America, so I read.

question re episode: they bitched out the San Diego Oceanaire dude for cooking lobster because "everyone knows lobster is high cholesterol"

I just googled "lobster cholesterol" and "pork chop cholesterol" and got a page that stated the cholesterol in 3 oz of "northern lobster" = 61 MG. The pork chop page said a center cut porkchop trimmed of all visible fat yields 132 MG of cholesterol. Now it didn't say how big the serving size was, but if it was 6oz--as these things typically are-- then there's a little bit more cholesterol in 6 oz of pork chop than there is in 6 oz of lobster.

(For those who don't watch the show, I'm blathering about pork chops because the winning dish was a pork chop and the challenge was "healthy versions of family favorites")

question re episode: they bitched out the San Diego Oceanaire dude for cooking lobster because "everyone knows lobster is high cholesterol"

I just googled "lobster cholesterol" and "pork chop cholesterol" and got a page that stated the cholesterol in 3 oz of "northern lobster" = 61 MG. The pork chop page said a center cut porkchop trimmed of all visible fat yields 132 MG of cholesterol. Now it didn't say how big the serving size was, but if it was 6oz--as these things typically are-- then there's a little bit more cholesterol in 6 oz of pork chop than there is in 6 oz of lobster.

(For those who don't watch the show, I'm blathering about pork chops because the winning dish was a pork chop and the challenge was "healthy versions of family favorites")

I've been reading lots of posts on other boards about the lobster cholesterol kerfuffle. Apparently, lobster is not a high crime with regards to cholesterol. The panel dressed down the offending chef for the sake of dressing him down? out of ignorance on the subject?. The interesting thing is, Tom C. has not blogged about this episode yet. Hmm. There was already a backlash regarding what seemed to be inconsistent rules regarding fufilling the challenges. Dave (I'm not your bitch, bitch) got eliminated for not doing 3 dishes (he did 2) while Howie (TC#3) was let through in the protien challenge, while he provided a dish sans protien. Seemingly the judges can play fast and loose with the rules as they see fit, based on thier perceptions of the individual's strengths.

I was wondering if anyone who had seen the most recent Top Chef knew anything about the blue-ribbon adorned Chaine des Rotisseurs who were part of the tasting group on the elimination challenge.

I confess, I knew nothing about this group when I saw them. Personally, I found them to of be rather snooty.

When looking at their US website- it's kind of chintzy. The Baltimore chapter has professional members which are chain restaurants like Ruth's Chris and Mccomack and Schmidt's. And also- no group in NYC, Vegas, or LA.

Anyone know the deal about this group?

I know nothing about that group, however, one of the members was either Chip or Reiken one of the gay couple that competed on "The Amazing Race"

I've been reading lots of posts on other boards about the lobster cholesterol kerfuffle. Apparently, lobster is not a high crime with regards to cholesterol.

Re: the ruckus about the lobster/cholesterol, Ted Allen acknowledges the error in his blog this week.

When watching last night's show, I thought the fourth course team was stuck no matter what they chose and would have gotten chastized if they hadn't done a dessert for the last course of a tasting menu. But after reading Lee Anne's blog where she says they explicitly weren't required to make a dessert, I can understand more the judges' criticism of why try the dessert if they couldn't pull it off. But they probably thought they could do decent desserts at the time.

I thought Casey was about to waive her immunity when she was crying about feeling guilty.

You're a lucky man! Please keep us updated!

Padma hasn't returned any of my calls yet. I guess she must be busy with the divorce proceedings. I plan to cut my calls down to 5 times a day-- I'm sure she has a lot on her plate.