"Top Chef" (2006-) Reality Chef-Competition Series on Bravo - Now in Season 16

cheezepowder

Does Kelly have a legitimate beef with Amanda chopping up the porterhouse? When you chop it up, it's no longer a porterhouse. I would have liked more clarity in their rules. The other contestants had swordfish, salmon, lobster, and lamb chops. Kelly and Amanda didn't get just "beef," they were ordered to cook a porterhouse. Would it have been okay if Amanda grounded up the porterhouse and made meatloaf with it?

That's where my mind was going watching this last night, but I agree with Pat in regards to ingenuity. The judges are mercurial, and what might be seen as bending the rules to suit one's strategy one episode, could be seen as clever in another. As Morning Joe mentioned, long gone is the day where lunch included a big slab of meat and a few glasses of red wine. The diners seemed to want a "light" lunch that they felt good about eating once they left*.

I've cooked Porterhouse and for the life of me, I can't cook it evenly. I over-cook the filet side just about every time. I stick with T-bones now.

*It bothered me too that a lot of food went to waste with whole portions being served to each person.

I don't know anything, obviously, but my guess is that Alex didn't steal the pea puree and that is why they edited the show to make it seem like he did. I know, it sounds crazy, but I cannot imagine that the producers know that he stole the pea puree and let him go on and win the challenge, they will do some crazy things, but that seems like too much. My guess is that they just wanted to make something out of really nothing, for ratings purposes, so they made a decision to not show Alex making a pea puree.

Either way, it is stupid all the way around.

Sure, but the lasting impression was that Chef Tom & Co were duped. I think it would have been much better television if Tom had dramatically asked Alex to account for the pea puree, or had at least questioned how Ed lost his food. They seemed completely unaware. Sigh...I hate to say it, but this season kinda blows.

I don't know anything, obviously, but my guess is that Alex didn't steal the pea puree

I don't remember how long exactly they had to prep once in the Palm's kitchen, but I tend to agree with what Kenny said: Alex wouldn't have had time to make his own english pea puree. Plus, if he had made it himself, everybody else would have seen and heard it: blending the peas, running it through a chinoise, etc. It's neither a quick nor a discreet process.

And yeah, this season sucks compared to the last one. Still watching though, and hoping for a brawl between Kenny and Angelo in the finals.

PS: Kenny in that robe is absolutely hilarious. I just wish they'd play some Barry White in the background.

I don't remember how long exactly they had to prep once in the Palm's kitchen, but I tend to agree with what Kenny said: Alex wouldn't have had time to make his own english pea puree. Plus, if he had made it himself, everybody else would have seen and heard it: blending the peas, running it through a chinoise, etc. It's neither a quick nor a discreet process.

Someone did mention seeing him with a blender. It was like a thirdhand comment, but someone did say it. This is the recipe. No straining. I also watched the video of Michael Voltaggio making this recipe, and he altered the directions a bit (sauteed the peas and added the cream to the pan, rather than blanching/shocking the peas and heating cream separately), and he didn't strain it either.

As bad of a chef as Stephen seems sometimes, dare I say that it seemed like the judges disliked Alex's dish more, and I would have preferred to see Alex go than Stephen because the latter is a more entertaining personality.

I liked when Alex tried to blame his poor performance on something Tom told him and got smacked down. What amazed me even more is that Alex presented his dish as having veal cheeks, when it was veal shanks. He even told Tom in the kitchen that the store didn't have veal cheeks so he got shanks. Then he presented his dish to the tasters and judges as being veal cheeks. Tom seemed oblivious and even in his comments made some remark about how if you make "beef cheeks," you should prepare them well. This is the second week in a row that Tom heard or was told something in the kitchen relevant to the judging and then seemed not to be aware of it at the judges' table.

I liked when Alex tried to blame his poor performance on something Tom told him and got smacked down. What amazed me even more is that Alex presented his dish as having veal cheeks, when it was veal shanks. He even told Tom in the kitchen that the store didn't have veal cheeks so he got shanks. Then he presented his dish to the tasters and judges as being veal cheeks. Tom seemed oblivious and even in his comments made some remark about how if you make "beef cheeks," you should prepare them well. This is the second week in a row that Tom heard or was told something in the kitchen relevant to the judging and then seemed not to be aware of it at the judges' table.

I'm glad to see I wasn't the only person who picked up on that.

As far as Tom's ignorance, he claimed last week that he wasn't in the kitchen when the pea puree flap went down, and nobody mentioned it while he was there. This week, I can completely believe that he didn't remember the one minute detail in between the chefs' prep time and when they were serving.

I'm glad to see I wasn't the only person who picked up on that.

As far as Tom's ignorance, he claimed last week that he wasn't in the kitchen when the pea puree flap went down, and nobody mentioned it while he was there. This week, I can completely believe that he didn't remember the one minute detail in between the chefs' prep time and when they were serving.

I can understand Tom's not necessarily committing to memory everything he's told on one of those visits to the prep kitchen, but it certainly took some nerve on Alex's part to represent his dish as something it wasn't, knowing that he had that conversation with Tom, and on camera. Maybe Alex forgot about the conversation (and camera) too, but the way things have been going, it seemed like he told an outright lie, figuring he wouldn't get caught.

In this week's blog, Tom says that he does vaguely remember that Ed was looking for the puree while he was in the kitchen but that he didn't realize it was anything controversial.

I thought that either Stephen or Amanda was going this week (but Stephen is funny, so I like listening to him & hoped he'd stick around.) Happy that Tiffany won, but I am astonished that my Angelo-hatred is fading out-his food seems to be good. As far as pea-gate goes, I don't think Alex stole Ed's puree (maybe he lifted the idea of a pea puree), & I think they're (heavy-handed) trying to make Alex a villain-don't see him as a finalist, but I don't think he's as bad as they're making him out to be-very strange TC all around....

I was kind of surprised to see Ed on the bottom 3. Stephen, sure. Alex, sure. But Ed? I was surprised to NOT see Amanda on the bottom given that her meat was dry and overdone. At the end of things, Stephen went home, which was fine with me given that he's gone 4 weeks deeper than I ever expected him to go.

Kenny-what's a shafing dish? :D

Tiffany-you go girl!

Angelo-I'm going to hell for saying this, but I love to watch your soul get crushed just a little each time you don't win a challenge :)

Amanda-you made dry beef stew and mashed potatoes. France called and they want their dignity back, and the guy who gives out Michelin stars said you're not allowed to say "boof" again. Ever.

Alex-yes, "cheeks" have a certain cache nowadays and if you can't keep your lies straight, don't tell them.

Kelly-I really wanted to taste that carpaccio, and thank you for giving a nod to VA beef.

Tiffany-you go girl!

Angelo-I'm going to hell for saying this, but I love to watch your soul get crushed just a little each time you don't win a challenge :)

Amanda-you made dry beef stew and mashed potatoes. France called and they want their dignity back, and the guy who gives out Michelin stars said you're not allowed to say "boof" again. Ever.

Alex-yes, "cheeks" have a certain cache nowadays and if you can't keep your lies straight, don't tell them.

Kelly-I really wanted to taste that carpaccio, and thank you for giving a nod to VA beef.

Haha, thanks for the laugh! :)

Did you notice that the Italian ambassador (I think he was the ambassador) said that the carpaccio represented Italy better than he did? :) :) .

I think he's opening up a Chinese restaurant in Vegas.

From Wapo:

Jose Andres has signed on to create not one but two restaurants for the future Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas. The prolific celebrity chef intends to re-create his popular Spanish tapas restaurant, Jaleo, and whip up something fresh for the nearly 3,000-room luxury resort, poised to open on the Strip in December. His second eatery, affectionately but unofficially dubbed Noodle Taco by his staff, will feature Chinese-Mexican cuisine.

The Vegas Jaleo will highlight a wood-fired pit for making paella. The yet-to-be-named fusion restaurant will feature tortilla makers up front, dishes including shumai wrapped in mango and high-end ingredients such as fresh water chestnuts rather than canned.

Andres has visited China and plans to go back for research several times before December. One of his tour guides, Jorge Guajardo, is a longtime friend who happens to be Mexico's ambassador to China.

"I've always been fascinated by China," Andres says. His native Spain and China share many similarities: The people of both countries "love pork and fried food."

:) I better start taking siestas and eating more jamon.

Did the judges take into consideration the charge leveled against Alex that he did not prepare the lamb dish? In reality, they showed the other chefs constantly fixing Alex's mistakes. So what dish was Alex responsible for? Kenny deserved to go home but at least explain why the other team wasn't disqualified for violating the rules. I'm sure Tom will make some excuse on his blog.

Just watched the extended judge's table online and no discussion of what Alex prepared. It's like they just ignored their own rules. If that's the case, why show the charge being leveled? Oh, the editors also claimed that the two cameras in the kitchen never caught who took Ed's pea puree. They didn't say whether they have footage of Alex making pea puree either. The integrity of this show just went down the shitter.

Did the judges take into consideration the charge leveled against Alex that he did not prepare the lamb dish? In reality, they showed the other chefs constantly fixing Alex's mistakes. So what dish was Alex responsible for? Kenny deserved to go home but at least explain why the other team wasn't disqualified for violating the rules. I'm sure Tom will make some excuse on his blog.

The situation with Alex has gotten completely ridiculous. Kelly managed to make two dishes and be an attentive host, yet he made nothing and didn't do a very good job as host either. (He also treated the staff abominably in the footage shown.)

The show is moving to 10 PM from here on out, which is past my bedtime, so I doubt I'll watch anymore. I have a hard enough time staying awake for it now.

Backing up to last week. So Alex wanted veal cheeks, couldn't get them, so used veal shank, and then presented them as veal cheeks.

My question is: In my limited experience with cheek meat, they cook up a lot differently than shank meat. Shouldn't Tom or Jose (and probably Padma and Gail), when told they are being served cheeks, have noticed that the cut of meat they were eating was not cheek meat.

I don't get it.

Backing up to last week. So Alex wanted veal cheeks, couldn't get them, so used veal shank, and then presented them as veal cheeks.

My question is: In my limited experience with cheek meat, they cook up a lot differently than shank meat. Shouldn't Tom or Jose (and probably Padma and Gail), when told they are being served cheeks, have noticed that the cut of meat they were eating was not cheek meat.

I don't get it.

I think it's odd too, but since the judges were eating a small portion of something as tapas, along with a lot of other food, maybe the difference in cut didn't stand out in the bites they took. I dug around for the recipe since I was wondering which cut it was going to list, and it gets even stranger. The recipe on the Bravo site is titled veal cheeks and calls for osso bucco cut veal. That is veal shank, isn't it?! :( Are veal cheeks ever used for osso bucco?

hmmm, maybe, but these are world class chefs, you would think they could pick out cheeks v. shank.

There's no basis in assuming that world class chefs have better taste buds. Below is an excerpt I found regarding the blind tasting by Top Chef Masters:

Really Anita Lo? You can't identify hoisin? Peanut butter? The supposed "master" chefs took part in an all time favorite Top Chef quickfire stunt in last night's episode, the blind tasting. Each chef, after being blindfolded, had to identify 20 ingredients including ketchup, peanut butter, dashi, corn, and the like. And surprise: these guys are just as bad (or worse) than the regular Top Chef contestants. To be fair, a high stress blind tasting in front of cameras isn't necessarily the perfect palate tester, but still. Embarrassing!
http://ny.eater.com/archives/2009/08/top_chef_5.php

hmmm, maybe, but these are world class chefs, you would think they could pick out cheeks v. shank.

Dunno. Once braised and falling apart tender, it might not be clear exactly what part of the anatomy it was. If you're talking about all braising meat cuts, it may be tough to discern. If your talking a veal chop vs. a shank, that would be more discernible, I think.

There's no basis in assuming that world class chefs have better taste buds. Below is an excerpt I found regarding the blind tasting by Top Chef Masters:

http://ny.eater.com/archives/2009/08/top_chef_5.php

Doesn't really have much to do with taste buds, I'm thinking more about the texture of the meat and the different way cheek and shank meat would cook.

Perhaps Monavano's point of long braise and falling apart, coupled with a small sample of the dish explains it. I still find it odd.

Of the final seven chefs on the show this season, does anyone think even one of them could have been in the final seven last season? Maybe Angelo?

This season has essentially ruined this franchise. Season two was an abomination, but was quickly atoned for by a solid season three. But, this season is so much worse that I don't even know if I will be watching next season, they may not even get a chance to win a loyal viewer back!

The whole situation with Alex, in my mind, is simply editing done to keep viewers tuned in because the show sucks this season. Are we supposed to believe that he really stole the pea puree, passed off veal shank as veal cheeks and made no food at all during the restaurant wars episode, and the producers let all of that slide!? I am more inclined to think that the producers are simply editing the shows to make it look like all of this is happening so that people still tune in. Granted, Alex pretty much sucks balls, but I can't imagine that he truly is that bad.

The only positive thing about last night's episode is that Kenny got kicked to the curb. I wouldn't call him cocky in a truly annoying way (i.e., it wasn't in your face), but I feel that he had WAY too high of an opinion of himself and his food. He won some early challenges, but seemingly was on the bottom a lot lately and did nothing to change his style - not put so much crap on a plate - even though the judges consistently told him that he had to change what he was doing.

The only positive thing about last night's episode is that Kenny got kicked to the curb. I wouldn't call him cocky in a truly annoying way (i.e., it wasn't in your face), but I feel that he had WAY too high of an opinion of himself and his food. He won some early challenges, but seemingly was on the bottom a lot lately and did nothing to change his style - not put so much crap on a plate - even though the judges consistently told him that he had to change what he was doing.

He addressed his attitude in today's Post Q&A and said that he listened to the judges' criticisms of his food. I've read several of these chats, and this one was distinctively different in terms of his willingness to say things were unfair, etc.

His answer to the final question, though, left me completely baffled. I hope someone can tell me what I'm missing, because it seemed to make no sense. [Emphasis added to the quotation.]

Q.

SO....

did alex steal the pea puree last week or not? viewers couldn't tell.

– August 12, 2010 4:53 PM

A.

KENNY GILBERT WRITES:

My opinion is that he took the pea puree. If he didn't take it there would have been a camera on the blender when he was making it or a camera in the pot when he was blanching and cooking, but he did not do that. There would have been some kind of shot of him making it. It was very clear that he took it. I will stand behind that. Kelly tasted the pea puree the night before and said it wasn't good. How do you go from tasting peas that weren't good to making the most unbelievable pea puree ever?

– August 12, 2010 5:04 PM

Doesn't this make the case that the pea puree made on the prep day by Ed couldn't have been the pea puree served by Alex? :( Is he saying that Alex also made a pea puree on the first day? I haven't seen that mentioned before and it would seem to be in conflict with the idea that if he made one it would have been caught on camera.

Kenny talked better than he cooked.

One bright note: I thought Frank Bruni was very good and entertaining as a judge. I hope they bring him back for more.

Kenny was always talking about being 'the beast' and the 'alpha dog' and 'alpha male'....I agree. He pretty much failed in both of his courses. The cheese course looked particularly unappetizing.

Kenny was always talking about being 'the beast' and the 'alpha dog' and 'alpha male'....I agree. He pretty much failed in both of his courses. The cheese course looked particularly unappetizing.

Not to mention never accepting or understanding that any of his dishes were not perfect, as he always claimed.

^ picture 1 still has sauce. It's "wet" so it has sauce. Sure, it's not swimming, but it has sauce. Which can be bottled. Difference is #1 is "finished" with sauce, while #2 is cooked in it. As suspected. Henceforth, bottleable.

Cool that Kelly also does that. i've done it a bit where I can't have all the ingredients in a jar sauce, so I just omit the ones I can't have and buy the rest listed on the jar to make my own.

Re: pea puree

From Alex's Post chat today:

Amanda saw me make it, Kelly tried the peas, peas are on the receipt from the store. I made the pea puree.

What Kenny said last week:

Kelly tasted the pea puree the night before and said it wasn't good. How do you go from tasting peas that weren't good to making the most unbelievable pea puree ever?

Perhaps you add something to it before you serve it, or the person who tasted it the first day didn't think it was that great but the judges did.

Clearly, at least some of the other chefs know he made pea puree during the prep time.

What do you mean that real kung pao is dry? Please elaborate. There is sauce on the dish normally.

While there is a little sauce in the traditional Kung Pao dishes, it is drier than the Americanized version. We love the real kung pao served at Hong Kong Palace. Look at the Chinese menu for Chengdu Kung Pao Chicken.

http://hkpalace.webs.com/menu.htm

Re: pea puree

From Alex's Post chat today:

What Kenny said last week:

Perhaps you add something to it before you serve it, or the person who tasted it the first day didn't think it was that great but the judges did.

Clearly, at least some of the other chefs know he made pea puree during the prep time.

Perhaps Kenny is hinting that Alex's pea puree wasn't good, so he took Ed's and substituted it for his own.

Perhaps Kenny is hinting that Alex's pea puree wasn't good, so he took Ed's and substituted it for his own.

That seemed like one of the possibilities from what Kenny said in the Post chat, but it's a leap. If Alex took Ed's puree, wouldn't he have left him the "bad" one? (Presumably they're all using the same kind of containers.) How did he know Ed's would be better?

The way this show has been edited has been annoying. They left it this way (with all the ends untied) to make Alex look unethical. He seemed quite offended when he commented in his Post chat, but maybe he didn't fully understand when he signed up for this that the producers could depict him any way they want.

Awesome: Eric Ripert outright calls Angelo's assisting Amanda in tonight's episode a "conspiracy."

I dunno, I think calling it a conspiracy is hyperbole. Any chef at this stage in the game should know that the tuna would turn grey. It seemed like they sent her home for execution and I was surprised that nobody seemed to have a problem with the concept of serving tuna tartare at a baseball game. But then again, they also gave her a pass when she braised chicken in sherry and served it as a school lunch...

I... I was surprised that nobody seemed to have a problem with the concept of serving tuna tartare at a baseball game...

Last month, when Bryan Voltaggio and the VOLT crew took over the concessions at the Frederick Keys game, they served (among other things) ceviche and seared tuna.

I dunno, I think calling it a conspiracy is hyperbole. Any chef at this stage in the game should know that the tuna would turn grey. It seemed like they sent her home for execution and I was surprised that nobody seemed to have a problem with the concept of serving tuna tartare at a baseball game. But then again, they also gave her a pass when she braised chicken in sherry and served it as a school lunch...

I'm still trying to figure out why she put it in a meat grinder. :(