"Top Chef" (2006-) Reality Chef-Competition Series on Bravo - Now in Season 16

cheezepowder

Jamie should have been sent packing, but whatever. Lousy chicken feet are lousy chicken feet. The issue I have with a challenge like this is when it does not present an even playing field where some of the chefs are dependent on other chefs to execute their dishes for them while they are doing front on the house duties instead. This is Top Chef, not Top GM or Top Front of the House. Ah well.

Jamie should have been sent packing, but whatever.

I ended up watching it on YouTube and then going to Tom Colicchio's blog after. He makes a point that even though Jamie's dishes were more than lackluster, they were still edible, while Casey's were inedible, as evinced by multiple tables of uneaten chicken feet. It was the inedibility of the dish that was her downfall, as even she said two things that were dooming from the get-go: 1. She has never worked with chicken feet and 2. She was unfamiliar with dim sum or something like that she was going to roll with the punches. Not quite a sound strategy late in this game.

but it also highlighted one of the problems i've consistently had with the judging of top chef--the chefs are given a challenge and have diners besides the judges to feed, yet the other diners' experiences and the degree to which the contestants fulfilled the challenges aren't given much weight. For example, in this challenge, some of the chefs were definitely better at getting their dishes out than others (thus doing a much better job of actually feeding their diners), and this didn't seem to be factored in to the judging much, because the judges' food was plated separately and served at the beginning, all at once, rather than at the same time the diners ate it. while this probably gives the judges the best shot at properly evaluating the best food the contestants can put out, it often penalizes the contestants who try to cater to their diners, so it seems there's little point in having the other diners there anyway, because the judges get food specially prepared for them.

But in this particular case weren't these two groups the same? That is, the ones who were the worst at getting their food out were also the ones with the suckiest food. And the ones who did get their food out also happened to have the best food.

But in this particular case weren't these two groups the same? That is, the ones who were the worst at getting their food out were also the ones with the suckiest food. And the ones who did get their food out also happened to have the best food.

to be honest, i couldn't tell that much, as it was confusing to see which dishes came to the actual diners at which times, but for example antonia got her dishes plated in ample time (enough to try to help someone else) and i think tre's stuff was done well in time, while i believe it was marcel that spent forever plating everything just so, but again, i'm not 100% sure. i'm more annoyed that the judges didn't seem to consider timing at all, but you're right, maybe here it wouldn't have made as much of a difference in ultimate outcome.

I don't know jack about Dim Sum kitchens, but is it true that the ovens don't go over 300 degrees, as Trey was griping about? Is there a chance they're marked in Celsius, which would be about 575F?

That was actually my theory. Most of my Chinese baking recipes in the Chinese-worded cookbook are in Celsius temperatures, fwiw.

I don't know jack about Dim Sum kitchens, but is it true that the ovens don't go over 300 degrees, as Trey was griping about? Is there a chance they're marked in Celsius, which would be about 575F?

In Tom's blog post he said the kitchen lacked "high efficiency ovens."

Most Chinese home kitchens don't have ovens at all. I'm hard pressed to think of anything in Chinese that requires high heat baking; however, I have no clue what temperature ducks and pigs are roasted at.

I know that I shouldn't care so much about a reality show, but I feel that this was a pretty unfair way for Casey to get kicked off.

To begin, the challenge was kind of a cluster fuck. You tell these chefs that if they have to make a great tasting, inventive dish. But, you also tell them that they have to push a billion of them out the door at the same time. If I were the dozen or so chefs still on the show, knowing that pushing food out of the kitchen would be tough, I clearly would have had several cold dishes that could be made ahead of time so that not everyone was firing their food at the same time. But, which one of these chefs is going to agree to be the one that makes a dish like that? Yeah, it could taste pretty good and it could calm things down in the dining room, but are you willing to risk getting kicked off just to make sure a bunch of surly, old Chinese people have something to eat for lunch?

And, why was it necessary to have two chefs pushing around freakin carts!? What is the point of this? You tell these chefs that they have to make a dish great, great enough to beat a lot of other awesome chefs, but then you tell them that they can't actually be in the kitchen. Who the hell would agree to that!?

And, on top of all of that, you have Casey's dish left in the hands of Antonia who 1) isn't very good and 2) is only one of a few chefs that are doing two dishes already. So, you have Antonia making her own dish, splitting a dish with Jamie and taking care of Casey's dish. This screws Antonia and Casey, while some donk like Tre can fumble around with one crappy dish!?

By the way, the people that made two dishes were Dale/Angelo and Jamie/Antonia. Was there ever any doubt in the universe which dishes would turn out better?

One more thing. How the hell does Mike Isabella win a new car and immunity for winning an 8 minute and 37 second quickfire while Dale wins dick-o-la for winning an elimination challenge?

You can tell that I am worked up about this episode. It sucks to lose the eye candy on the show, but I can get over that. It just seems like it isn't a balanced playing field all of the time and that is what gets me bitter. I also want to punch Jamie in the face.

One more thing. How the hell does Mike Isabella win a new car and immunity for winning an 8 minute and 37 second quickfire while Dale wins dick-o-la for winning an elimination challenge?

I don't see any problem with the big prizes being randomized like that. Sometimes it's for the quickfire, sometimes it's for the elimination (Dale's trip to New Zealand), sometimes it's not at all. Besides, even Dale admitted that none of them did a great job during this particular elimination challenge.

As for the rest, it always comes back to the number one rule in Top Chef: Look out for yourself. If you want full control over your dish, don't volunteer to run the front of house (which Casey did). Jamie has followed that maxim brilliantly -- refusing to serve her food at the US Open challenge, bailing on Jen when she cut herself -- and she's managed to stick around because of it.

To begin, the challenge was kind of a cluster fuck. You tell these chefs that if they have to make a great tasting, inventive dish. But, you also tell them that they have to push a billion of them out the door at the same time.

I feel like you can say this about most of the challenges.

What? They have to stay up all night to feed hundreds of children breakfast?!? That's not fair! or Why should the chefs have to make a dish in Wylie Dufresne's style? That's not right!

To me...that's the show. Put the chefs in a difficult situation and let them compete.

I was glad to see on Washingtonian.com or Wapo one of the two that Mike Isabella is working out and losing weight, it is hard to watch him and not notice how much weight he has gained. That sounds very shallow of me, but I for some reason can't help but look at him and think about it. Maybe it was because during his season he was pretty fit. He seems to be doing much better this season though.

I wasn't happy that Casey went home, I think they should stop making them be in the front of house, like they have for other challenges. I think if she made the bad dish, she should go home, but if someone else made her dish, how do you know who is to blame. I didn't particularly like her personality, but I think she was a strong competitor, but then again just her choice in what she made alone was probably the downfall. Sometimes you are doomed to fail from the start.

I was glad to see on Washingtonian.com or Wapo one of the two that Mike Isabella is working out and losing weight, it is hard to watch him and not notice how much weight he has gained. That sounds very shallow of me, but I for some reason can't help but look at him and think about it. Maybe it was because during his season he was pretty fit. He seems to be doing much better this season though.

Right after his earlier appearance on Top Chef, Mike Isabella got married. Newly domesticated bliss tends to do that to a lot of guys.

Right after his earlier appearance on Top Chef, Mike Isabella got married. Newly domesticated bliss tends to do that to a lot of guys.

Yes, I definitely know this! My Hubby did the same, but it wasn't as much weight, he is trying to lose some weight again now. Although for him it must be lunch because I still cook pretty much the same things/same portions. Well and I imagine Mr. Isabella had to do a ton of recipe and idea testing for his new restaurant. But apparently that also really helped him because he has won a lot more this year or been in the top more often.

What would the chefs have done last night if they didn't catch any fish? How did Antonia make all of those po'boys while catching only one porgy?

Last nights episode was a throw away to me, although I liked seeing them go fishing. I am ready for next week though as Restaurant Wars is back. By the way, how can all of these top notch chefs, who all work in restaurants (sans Carla), suck so bad at Restaurant Wars? I can see there being some front-of-the-house issues, but why does it seem like their food routinely sucks?

Last nights episode was a throw away to me, although I liked seeing them go fishing. I am ready for next week though as Restaurant Wars is back. By the way, how can all of these top notch chefs, who all work in restaurants (sans Carla), suck so bad at Restaurant Wars? I can see there being some front-of-the-house issues, but why does it seem like their food routinely sucks?

Cause they're the top losers of prior seasons, and some weren't even top losers, just memorable losers.

Mike Isabella continues to run his mouth - did he not learn anything from his season? You know what they say about internet argument is like the special Olympics. Running your mouth on TV also qualifies you for the special Olympics.

He seems like a nice guy with a bit of a Jersey-Italian attitude (my grandmother, Yolanda Cole née Schenone, would have liked him). Whereas I'm pretty sure that Marcel's mother held him up by the ankle and dipped him headfirst into the River Douche when he was just a baby. Now the only way to get him to not act like a pompous wanknozzle is to shoot him in the heel with an arrow.

He seems like a nice guy with a bit of a Jersey-Italian attitude (my grandmother, Yolanda Cole née Schenone, would have liked him). Whereas I'm pretty sure that Marcel's mother held him up by the ankle and dipped him headfirst into the River Douche when he was just a baby. Now that only way to get him to not act like a pompous wanknozzle is to shoot him in the heel with an arrow.

Is there a 'like' button in the house? :-)

The most brilliant strategic move was Dale's choice of Marcel as the captain of the other team. He thereby guaranteed chaos and discord on the opposite team, regardless of the other chefs who ended up on either his or Marcel's team.

I concur. I just watched the episode tonight on DVR and paused it to say....Marcel! And voila. Marcel....too many notes.

Marcel is a big dummy, but my guess is that, through it all, he is probably a pretty nice guy that just can't control himself. From time to time, he is probably self reflective and wishes he didn't say some of the things that he said or do some of the things that he did, but he just isn't at the point where he can think about those things before they happen.

All in all, he should have been the one to go home this week, but everyone else on that team should hand their heads because they absolutely, positively sucked.

Is there any doubt in anyone's mind that Dale and Richard are going to be the ones standing there in the end? I flip flop on who else might be there with them - sometimes I think Angelo, sometimes I think Mike - but none of them seem to hold a candle to the two leaders at this point.

All in all, he should have been the one to go home this week, but everyone else on that team should hand their heads because they absolutely, positively sucked.

I'm shocked at how bad they sucked. Tiffany can't cook or peel eggs. Mike can't properly cook protein - or he intentionally sabotaged Marcel (by pre-cooking Marcel's fish). Antonia's dish was way too salty. Angelo is the only that didn't really bomb. So yeah, I think Dale and Richard have a good shot at the finals with Angelo rounding out of the top 3 - but I'll stick with my initial prediction that the finals with be Angelo and Richard.

Mike Isabella continues to run his mouth - did he not learn anything from his season? You know what they say about internet argument is like the special Olympics. Running your mouth on TV also qualifies you for the special Olympics.

He's not the only one who continues to run his mouth.

So Antonia wins the Italian challenge with steamed mussels and Fabio complains that it was a French dish. Is steamed mussels Italian or French or both? What distinguishes Italian from French steamed mussels?

Why did Tre get sent home instead of Dale or Mike? I really couldn't tell why Tre's dish sucked more than Mike's or Dale's.

I have no idea what the hell was going on this past week on this show. First, they have a quick fire in which no one tastes the food. Trust me, I am all about presentation, but that is weak that they didn't even have to make the food edible. Second, they have this elimination challenge in which I had no idea who was going to win or who was going to lose. I am not a huge fan of them making it obvious to the audience, but I was SHOCKED when Antonia won. Don't care if she wins or not, but she didn't get a huge amount of praise when they were tasting her food. As far as Tre losing, over Mike or Dale, I guess that was a total tossup, they all seemed to make awful dishes.

By the way, why did Padma get teary eyed when Tre was leaving?

I have no idea what the hell was going on this past week on this show. First, they have a quick fire in which no one tastes the food. Trust me, I am all about presentation, but that is weak that they didn't even have to make the food edible. Second, they have this elimination challenge in which I had no idea who was going to win or who was going to lose. I am not a huge fan of them making it obvious to the audience, but I was SHOCKED when Antonia won. Don't care if she wins or not, but she didn't get a huge amount of praise when they were tasting her food. As far as Tre losing, over Mike or Dale, I guess that was a total tossup, they all seemed to make awful dishes.

By the way, why did Padma get teary eyed when Tre was leaving?

I just watched this episode last night, and I think Antonia's dish actually did get a lot of praise when they were tasting. IIRC, someone said it was "special" and Tom stated that it brought him back to his childhood. That's the way to any diner's heart. It's like that scene in Ratatouille. I was still a little surprised she won with such a simple dish that I'm pretty sure I can make at home. But not nearly as surprised as the other chefs were.

I also noticed that Padma looked a little sad when she said bye to Tre. Maybe she's gonna miss her eye candy...

So Antonia wins the Italian challenge with steamed mussels and Fabio complains that it was a French dish. Is steamed mussels Italian or French or both? What distinguishes Italian from French steamed mussels?

On last night's show, Fabio stated specifically that he didn't think mussels with fennel is an Italian dish. Also, some posters on Chowhound stated that Italians never put putter in seafood, which Antonia did.

Since I am not there eating the food, I guess that I really can't complain when people win or when they get kicked off, but I am SHOCKED that Carla has won three challenges. I am sure that it is my bias - whenever she speaks it sounds like someone grinding their fingernails on a chalkboard to me - but, when I think of her, I just don't think of "yeah, she's a great chef." I guess I am completely wrong!?

Anyway, it is tough to see Fabio go. I am not often impressed with what he makes, but he seems like a very charming guy that has a wonderful attitude, he must just kill it when he is working front of the house at his restaurants.

This is clearly going down to Dale, Angelo and Blais, they seem like the cream of the crop to me. It is almost shocking that Mike, Tiffany, Carla and Antonia are still around, I would have never guessed that they would have gotten this far.

Since I am not there eating the food, I guess that I really can't complain when people win or when they get kicked off, but I am SHOCKED that Carla has won three challenges. I am sure that it is my bias - whenever she speaks it sounds like someone grinding their fingernails on a chalkboard to me - but, when I think of her, I just don't think of "yeah, she's a great chef." I guess I am completely wrong!?

Anyway, it is tough to see Fabio go. I am not often impressed with what he makes, but he seems like a very charming guy that has a wonderful attitude, he must just kill it when he is working front of the house at his restaurants.

This is clearly going down to Dale, Angelo and Blais, they seem like the cream of the crop to me. It is almost shocking that Mike, Tiffany, Carla and Antonia are still around, I would have never guessed that they would have gotten this far.

I'm with you on Carla but she's got plenty of fans who think she's the best chef ever. I would like to see Dale, Angelo, and Blais in the top 3 but Dale hasn't been doing so well lately and the judges seem to like Carla's well executed dishes (in my opinion, she lacks creativity with her food).

Tried to watch Top Chef last night, but Bravo decided to show a really long Target commercial instead. :)

And you know what? That wasn't even the most egregious product placement in the show last night. When they were starting the quickfire cookie challenge, which I loved by the way, they showed a close-up of Swanson chicken broth.

What you don't use chicken broth in your cookies?! Terrible episode. Really did not make me want to go out to Target and buy a bunch of stuff for my kitchen. "Ooo honey how about we go to Target and pick up some supplies, I've been meaning to make a mediocre soup for a while!" And why did it have to be at 3am? Colicchio looked like he just wanted to be in his own bed (just like all the contestants). I'm not sure how many more stoner references I can take from Bourdain either..

Alright here's looking forward to next week when hopefully there's a more traditional challenge and we see if anyone can mess up catastrophically so Tiffany stays around another week. /end rant.

I have no problem with the muppet challenge, other than potato chip pretzel scramble winning. But the target challenge is up there with the worst they have ever done. Tomato soup and ironed grilled cheese sammich was an appropriate winner.

Did anyone else wince when Angelo asked if it needed salt, Mike I said "it's missing something," and Angelo added a bucket of salt AND more bacon? It's as if he forgot bacon was salty. In my dreams, if he just adds bacon, Big Bird Hootie fittingly goes home on Sesame Street day.

Tried to watch Top Chef last night, but Bravo decided to show a really long Target commercial instead. :)

That was not product placement, that was product immersion, or rather, something worse--the participants as worthless accessories subsumed by the products.

I kept hoping that one of the "chef-"testants would say, "As desperate for fame and money as I am, even this is beneath me and I refuse to participate."

And the judges would have no choice but to name him the real winner, and then resign in shame.

I thought Colicchio decrying "fakeness" in his Diet Coke ads was pathetic (but slightly humorous as an inadvertent coming out), but this was worse.

And who wants to hear an emasculated-by-choice Bourdain rail against "The Man" from the check-out aisle? (And don't even get me started on how pathetic he was cluelessly, clumsily, and artlessly pretending to butcher a pig in full-butch Pig-Macho mode).

What a bunch of losers (The judges, I mean).

In hip-hop, they distinguish between being a sell out and being out selling. These guys are just sell outs, all the more lame for claiming credibility.

Why any young chef or aspiring restaurateur would hold this as a path to emulate is beyond me.

What waits? A slot between Todd English and Rocco on QVC? Cooking demos on a cruise ship?

Tells you how much I know.

If you told me at the beginning of the season that Mike, Tiffany, Carla and Antonia would be in the top five, I would have thought you were crazy, but here we are and that is the way that it turned out. There always seems to be one person that gets through because somone totally screws up their dish, but I kind of feel that all four of these people have been able to get through this way. And, I am sure that if I looked at the "stats", these people have won their fair share of quick fires and elimination challenges, but none of them feel like a "top chef" to me at all.

If you told me at the beginning of the season that Mike, Tiffany, Carla and Antonia would be in the top five, I would have thought you were crazy, but here we are and that is the way that it turned out. There always seems to be one person that gets through because somone totally screws up their dish, but I kind of feel that all four of these people have been able to get through this way. And, I am sure that if I looked at the "stats", these people have won their fair share of quick fires and elimination challenges, but none of them feel like a "top chef" to me at all.

Is there such a thing as Chef's Law of not stealing another's idea? If so, when do you apply it? I thought Mike was being an ass last night after stealing Richard's idea. I would've been very sheepish and give all the credit to Richard (but probably keep the money though). As for Tiffany - why would she let Marcel cook? With helpers, why don't you just make the helper do the prep so you can do the crucials things like cooking the shrimp so it's not mealy and making the sauce so the shrimp isn't too sweet? Of course I'm not there and don't know what else is involved. Tiffany also didn't taste the sauce Marcel made - she kinda blamed Marcel but also took some responsibility in front of the judges.

As for the the surviving contestants, I think it's partly because of the narrowly focused challenges. You had southern last night, Jimmy Fallon's favorites, Italian-American, Dim Sum, etc. These aren't necessarily creative challenges that lets the best chef rise to the top.

I felt bad for Angelo, you could tell he was just exhausted. But that is the nature of Top Chef, and he chose to do it back to back with his season. I think he is a stellar chef and am going to seek out his food.

Dale knew he put out a bad dish, and this season you just can't do that. Which is a shame because he and Angelo were my favorites to stay at the top (and Richard of course).

I really thought Mike stole that dish. Richard needs to stop helping everyone so much: talking about dishes, telling people how to cook proteins. But he still is at the top right now, so I guess it is still working out for him ok. If I was Mike, I would have split the cash with him, I mean it isn't that much after taxes... And for him to pull another real dick move on TV doesn't help his rep.

As for Tiffany - why would she let Marcel cook? With helpers, why don't you just make the helper do the prep so you can do the crucials things like cooking the shrimp so it's not mealy and making the sauce so the shrimp isn't too sweet? Of course I'm not there and don't know what else is involved. Tiffany also didn't taste the sauce Marcel made - she kinda blamed Marcel but also took some responsibility in front of the judges.

I agree with you on this, it seems crazy to me that a chef still in the contest would let a chef not in the contest cook the main part of their dish (the shrimp). And, as far as the sauce is concerned, Tiffany said that she told Marcel how to make it, but later on she also said that she dilutes is with water so it isn't so strong, which would be an important step that she left out when instructing Marcel.

It is weird because I hate being a Marcel apologist because he is auch a donkey, but I don't think that he did anything wrong last night and they still tried to make him out to be the bad guy. Hell, the only thing that they liked about Tiffany's dish is that they left the heads on the shrimp which, if I remember correctly, was Marcel's idea that Tiffany hated.