"Top Chef" (2006-) Reality Chef-Competition Series on Bravo - Now in Season 16

cheezepowder

I agree with you on this, it seems crazy to me that a chef still in the contest would let a chef not in the contest cook the main part of their dish (the shrimp). And, as far as the sauce is concerned, Tiffany said that she told Marcel how to make it, but later on she also said that she dilutes is with water so it isn't so strong, which would be an important step that she left out when instructing Marcel.

It is weird because I hate being a Marcel apologist because he is auch a donkey, but I don't think that he did anything wrong last night and they still tried to make him out to be the bad guy. Hell, the only thing that they liked about Tiffany's dish is that they left the heads on the shrimp which, if I remember correctly, was Marcel's idea that Tiffany hated.

Agree, I mean really her dish was- shrimp with sauce, so why would you let someone else cook your shrimp and make your sauce- BOTH. And she did leave out the water thing which is huge. He was trying to help her whether she wanted it or not, seems like he did nothing but try to be helpful and follow directions. Shrimp may have been overcooked, but if it's your dish you should be watching and tasting that, its like the main part of your dish.

Agree, I mean really her dish was- shrimp with sauce, so why would you let someone else cook your shrimp and make your sauce- BOTH. And she did leave out the water thing which is huge. He was trying to help her whether she wanted it or not, seems like he did nothing but try to be helpful and follow directions. Shrimp may have been overcooked, but if it's your dish you should be watching and tasting that, its like the main part of your dish.

In order to serve hot food, they were cooking in multiple batches at the reception-- the shrimp wasn't cooked in advance. Tiffany had to plate and serve her dish, so Marcel was behind her, cooking and glazing the shrimp. With hordes of people to serve, many who wanted to talk to her, it's no wonder that she couldn't maintain complete quality control.

In order to serve hot food, they were cooking in multiple batches at the reception-- the shrimp wasn't cooked in advance. Tiffany had to plate and serve her dish, so Marcel was behind her, cooking and glazing the shrimp. With hordes of people to serve, many who wanted to talk to her, it's no wonder that she couldn't maintain complete quality control.

And yet she admitted that she didn't have time to taste the batch of sauce that Marcel made. Really? You don't have time to turn around, dip a spoon in the sauce and stick it in your mouth?

I don't really think it matters, she was imo still the best of the bottom 3 based on the judge's comments, but it would have been one less major error in her dish.

I really don't care any more who makes it to the end. I'm just pissed Dale went home because he cracks me up. I do think Mike I. is a dick.

And yet she admitted that she didn't have time to taste the batch of sauce that Marcel made. Really? You don't have time to turn around, dip a spoon in the sauce and stick it in your mouth?

I can believe this. Under their time crunches, plus the fact that sometimes poor planning plays out to longer prep time or cooking time due to various malfunctions (i.e. stove not hot enough), I can see why they might not have time to taste it.

I can believe this. Under their time crunches, plus the fact that sometimes poor planning plays out to longer prep time or cooking time due to various malfunctions (i.e. stove not hot enough), I can see why they might not have time to taste it.

She needed to make time. How long does it really take to taste something, 5 seconds? She could have asked Marcel to feed it to her on a spoon if she really couldn't spare a moment to turn around. We've seen people go home on this show time and time again for not tasting food, whether they've cooked it or someone else has, I just think it's ridiculous that anyone could say I didn't have time to taste something. Maybe I am clueless never having worked in an actual kitchen. :)

She needed to make time. How long does it really take to taste something, 5 seconds? She could have asked Marcel to feed it to her on a spoon if she really couldn't spare a moment to turn around. We've seen people go home on this show time and time again for not tasting food, whether they've cooked it or someone else has, I just think it's ridiculous that anyone could say I didn't have time to taste something. Maybe I am clueless never having worked in an actual kitchen. :)

I believe that she had time to taste it, my guess is 1) that she forgot or 2) remembered, but didn't have time to fix it if it sucked. Either way, she didn't tell Marcel all of the steps to make the sauce (diluting it with water), and then complained that he did a bad job making it. Basically, when they bring back old contestants to act as sous chefs, it turns into a nightmare for the chefs, they should just nix that idea altogether.

And, overall, I agree with someone upthread that I hate a lot of these challenges, especially the ones with absurd stipulations (no sleep for days) or stupid requirements (feed 300 people with a makeshift kitchen with one hour of prep time). I don't think that this helps weed out who the best chef is.

Hard to group together my thoughts about last night's episode so here they are one by one--

The quickfire was moronic. They aren't magicians, you give them awful ingredients and they're going to make something creative...and awful.

The eliminiation challenge was great. Everyone looked comfortable, cooking something they wanted to cook in a well stocked kitchen. Dunno why they have to always make it so difficult...

Almost had a heartattack when they called Blais' name. Bravo obviously realizes he's now the runaway favorite and wants to add a little suspense. Blais is alternately coming across as humble and a judgemental a-hole. He's definitely a lot more competitive than he says he is.

I can't be on board with no one being eliminated.. They shoulda chopped both of them instead.

The quickfire was moronic. They aren't magicians, you give them awful ingredients and they're going to make something creative...and awful.

I totally agree with this. Often the quickfire challenges are awful, but this one really made no sense because 1) there was no immunity and 2) there was no prize. So, the purpose of them making really bad food out of really bad ingredients was to 1) fill up time on the show and 2) come up with a transition for the elimination challenge. Stupid.

I also think that it was ridiculous that five of them are going to the finale, are you kidding me!? I feel like they are playing youth soccer where everyone gets a trophy.

The final five was so completely telegraphed leading up to the cut scene, but I still loved the episode. That said, there'll be hell to pay in the first round of the finals. Two, maybe three cut. Still, the quickfire was not all bad -- it echoed I think season 1 where they had to make food out of a vending machine. Still, I think they should have had more challenges where they had more time to show off their own personal chefly talents. This was one of the few this season that allowed them to do so.

It seemed like Antonia's dish was a failure on all fronts, but I'm speculating that they chose to keep her because she has been performing so strongly and has won so many elimination challenges. Thus in a head-to-head matchup between Carla and Tiffany, Tiffany's dish was merely unexciting while Carla's was too sweet and some of the portions of pork tenderloin were undercooked. Too bad, because Carla, over-all, has performed better than Tiffany has. The quick-fire last night was Tiffany's first win, while Carla has won numerous quick-fires and elimination challenges. The biggest surprise thus far has been Mike Isabella's ascent, over Dale Taldé, into the finals. Mike was completely unimpressive during his initial season, both as a chef and a personality. And especially during the early phases of this one has been almost as puerile, obnoxious and over-confident as he had been in the earlier competition.

It seemed like Antonia's dish was a failure on all fronts, but I'm speculating that they chose to keep her because she has been performing so strongly and has won so many elimination challenges. Thus in a head-to-head matchup between Carla and Tiffany, Tiffany's dish was merely unexciting while Carla's was too sweet and some of the portions of pork tenderloin were undercooked. Too bad, because Carla, over-all, has performed better than Tiffany has. The quick-fire last night was Tiffany's first win, while Carla has won numerous quick-fires and elimination challenges. The biggest surprise thus far has been Mike Isabella's ascent, over Dale Taldé, into the finals. Mike was completely unimpressive during his initial season, both as a chef and a personality. And especially during the early phases of this one has been almost as puerile, obnoxious and over-confident as he had been in the earlier competition.

I think Carla deserved the elimination--I doubt any desire to keep Antonia around factored into it. How can a dish escape elimination when a judge gets a side of trichinosis?

So, where does everyone see the eventual winner of Top Chef - All Stars ranking on the list of winners thus far? Higher because of the "better" competition, or lower, as the "best" of the also rans? I've had a few discussions about this lately and can't seem to figure out where I stand, save for the winner being easily better than Ilan, Hosea, and Kevin.

Funny to see Hosea directly reference the "haters" last episode, btw.

So, where does everyone see the eventual winner of Top Chef - All Stars ranking on the list of winners thus far? Higher because of the "better" competition, or lower, as the "best" of the also rans? I've had a few discussions about this lately and can't seem to figure out where I stand, save for the winner being easily better than Ilan, Hosea, and Kevin.

Funny to see Hosea directly reference the "haters" last episode, btw.

I don't think you can use the competition as a way to rank the chefs. There are better chefs that lost than some of the season winners because of individual challenges and the same will be true this time. Top Chef is simply a test of which chef does the best at Top Chef, the end.

I did appreciate Hosea's comment. :)

Oh, and while I wouldn't wager large sums of money on it, I saw some signs of impending choking for Richard in the last episode.

I don't think you can use the competition as a way to rank the chefs. There are better chefs that lost than some of the season winners because of individual challenges and the same will be true this time. Top Chef is simply a test of which chef does the best at Top Chef, the end.

Oh, and while I wouldn't wager large sums of money on it, I saw some signs of impending choking for Richard in the last episode.

I was only talking about the winners of Top Chef, and where they stack up amongst each other... for sure there are better Chefs that lost seasons than won, either due to individual challenges or trying to shave someone's head. Holding up the winners of each season, some stand out and others, well, do not. Ed said as much last season while paired with Ilan. So, where would a winner of this season rank, potentially, given that they may have competed against tougher competition than an average season, but fell short once already?

I agree that Hosea was an undeserving winner in his season, but I did eat his food once and I actually thought it was very good. I was visiting my sister in Boulder between when his season finished taping and the televised finale and we went to the restaurant where he worked, Jax, because my sister was a regular at the bar there. If I recall right, all three of our entrees were very good, but looking at the menu it was also obvious that he had totally just copied every recipe from the menu for the challenges when he was on the show.

He came out and talked to us (since sister was a regular) and seemed to be your typical fratty chef guy, but he was pretty nice. That said, he still totally did not deserve to win his season!

That said, he still totally did not deserve to win his season!

In that case, who "deserved" to win S5?

- Stefan, who served frozen / thawed crudo and a really bad dessert in the finale?

- Carla, who decided to use sous vide for the first time ever in the finale -- and ended up with an improperly cooked and tough piece of meat as a result? Then ended with a souffle dessert disaster?

- Fabio? Jeff, who was eliminated once and got to come back and compete in the pre-finale? Any other eliminated contestants?

Hosea played it safe and executed well enough in the end. For his season that was enough.

I was going to say this earlier, but it was certainly confirmed tonight - Mike has his game face on. He mentioned in the last episode that he had been studying the food from that region and had been studying different cuisines/cooking techniques and I think that's really showing.

I was sort of rooting for a woman to win before tonight for the sake of solidarity but after the admission tonight by both Tiffany and Antonio that they had never worked with conch before, whereas both Mike and Richard had been practicing I can't possibly root for them. Seriously, WTF is wrong with you if you don't prepare by working with the ingredients you will inevitably be presented with at this point. It pisses me off.

So Richard or Mike, I'll be happy with either.

I was only talking about the winners of Top Chef, and where they stack up amongst each other...

I got what you were saying, I just may not have explained where I was coming from well. Which is that you can't rank them as chefs based on a television show, without having tasted their food. But if you want to rank them based on who's the best Top Chef competitor then I guess it's based on who had the toughest competition in their season. If you think this season's is the toughest, then yes, I'd argue the winner of this season is better than previous winners.

Does this sound snotty? I don't mean it too. I just think it's sort of silly to talk about how good of chefs these people are based on a food competition where we rely on the heavily edited comments of the judges in response to food made in often unrealistic challenges to try to figure out what the food was like and therefore how capable they are as chefs.

I'm okay with Mike's attitude as long as he backs it up with stellar food. I think he brought it with his banana leaf wrapped fish. I would also like to try Rich's sweet potato pasta, but I wonder can sweet potato really taste like pasta? I am reminded of the squid pasta that I had aT Citronelle...

I kind of feel like Top Chef and Richard Blais don't work well together. Maybe it is just the sheer strength and persistence needed as it has to be just exhausting, or being away from your family, I know my husband grounds and relaxes me, I couldn't do what I do as well as I do withouth him. But you can tell the competition is wearing on him and weighing him down with pressure. I wish he could just relax because honestly I think he is probably the most capable chef there and I like that he is so willing to teach others and share, I think he normally seems like a really good guy, but he is getting more and more harsh the tougher the competition gets, and just can't relax and put on a game face like Mike. But I want him to win because I really really want a Blais restaurant. I would love to go to that.

I mean we know there is going to be a Mike restaurant (and that seemed to be happening before the end of this show in reality time world), so I want the Blais restaurant.

I kind of feel like Top Chef and Richard Blais don't work well together. Maybe it is just the sheer strength and persistence needed as it has to be just exhausting, or being away from your family, I know my husband grounds and relaxes me, I couldn't do what I do as well as I do withouth him. But you can tell the competition is wearing on him and weighing him down with pressure. I wish he could just relax because honestly I think he is probably the most capable chef there and I like that he is so willing to teach others and share, I think he normally seems like a really good guy, but he is getting more and more harsh the tougher the competition gets, and just can't relax and put on a game face like Mike. But I want him to win because I really really want a Blais restaurant. I would love to go to that.

I mean we know there is going to be a Mike restaurant (and that seemed to be happening before the end of this show in reality time world), so I want the Blais restaurant.

That is certainly a good reason to root for Blais. Okay, I'm on board. :)

Richard is so incredibly self-critical it's become almost painful to watch him. See my above comment about signs of him choking. But his food is still turning out well so maybe he'll pull it off.

Was I the only one a bit disconcerted by the way the judges fawned over the "Commodore" and his guests? Why couldn't they have had local chefs, conch fishermen, or guest chefs as the other diners?

My reservations about the guest list aside, i'm intrigued by the sweet potato pasta and am wondering if anyone has tried doing something similar and, if so, how it turned out.

Was I the only one a bit disconcerted by the way the judges fawned over the "Commodore" and his guests? Why couldn't they have had local chefs, conch fishermen, or guest chefs as the other diners?

Yeah those were some old money weirdos. Ever read A Small Place by Jamaica Kincaid? I highly doubt the producers did..

I admit a bit of disappointment that Antonia didn't make it to the finals. I'd have liked to see Richard in competition with a woman again. The way they edited the conversation at the judge's table made it seem that Antonia's one-bite was preferred during the time when they were eating it, and then when they voted, some of the people who had expressed a preference for Antonia's dish earlier, voted for Mike Isabella's. If it really was being determined by the one bite cook-off, Antonia should have gone to the final. I think the whole one-bite cook-off was a sham.

I admit a bit of disappointment that Antonia didn't make it to the finals. I'd have liked to see Richard in competition with a woman again. The way they edited the conversation at the judge's table made it seem that Antonia's one-bite was preferred during the time when they were eating it, and then when they voted, some of the people who had expressed a preference for Antonia's dish earlier, voted for Mike Isabella's. If it really was being determined by the one bite cook-off, Antonia should have gone to the final. I think the whole one-bite cook-off was a sham.

Somebody with too much time on their hands should do an analysis of how often the final decisions agree or disagree with the outcome Tom prefers (which is usually discernible). My impression is that Tom usually gets what he wants, and in this case, he preferred Mike's dish.

I'm glad Mike finished the season on a strong note. Generally I like a person who is honest and straightforward but Mike really needs to exercise some restraint on TV. Now I'm looking forward to trying out his new joint.

Agreed, I am much more excited about eating in his restaurant after this season than his last, his food looked really good. But I am glad Richard won, now make that restaurant happen!!!! I didn't get to watch the aftershow thing my dvr cut off, who won fan favorite?

Agreed, I am much more excited about eating in his restaurant after this season than his last, his food looked really good. But I am glad Richard won, now make that restaurant happen!!!! I didn't get to watch the aftershow thing my dvr cut off, who won fan favorite?

Carla won fan favorite. Fabio was in second.

Now to get myself to Atlanta to try Flip Burger! I am so happy Richard one. And yes, I am definitely looking forward to Mike Isabella's place in a way I wasn't at the start of the season.

Now to get myself to Atlanta to try Flip Burger!

I really hope the planned DC Flip is still happening. My two visits there left me really impressed and I think with a good location they could survive the DC Burger Apocalypse that will inevitably happen with all the high end burger shops opening around the city. And yes, there is a foie gras milkshake on the menu.

Now to get myself to Atlanta to try Flip Burger!

I love Chef Blais as much as the next person, but please let me assure you that Flip doesn't even come close to being Atlanta's best burger joint. It's more of a "scene" restaurant, and I find it to be quite overpriced for the product. In my opinion, the best thing about Flip is the Krispy Kreme milkshake. Drool.

That said, I am happy that he won and really hope that he uses his exposure and his winnings to open HIS kind of restaurant. Atlanta has been ready for it for quite some time.

From the "Flip Burger" website, it looks like he's the "Creative Director", working for whomever actually owns the small group of burger joints (it appears they have 4 locations so I'd guess that is what Tom referred to).

I would assume he would look to open his own more upscale dining place with the funds.

Glad to see Richard win it. Also surprised but glad to see Mike make a run for it in the latter half of the season. I have to say, this did not go at all like I expected it to -- people I expected to go deep got cut way earlier than I expected.

Next up, Top Chef Masters.

I really hope the planned DC Flip is still happening. My two visits there left me really impressed and I think with a good location they could survive the DC Burger Apocalypse that will inevitably happen with all the high end burger shops opening around the city. And yes, there is a foie gras milkshake on the menu.

Blais said on the WaPo chat that he is still planning on opening in DC.

I was surprised when Tom said he owned four restaurants, shortly after Richard said the money would help him open "HIS" restaurant. Are the other four not "his"?

I'm pretty sure his MO is to do come on in the capacity of 'consultant' or 'culinary director' and then depart after a year or so.

EDIT: Wow. This makes him look like Peter Chang on liquid nitrogen.

While I agree there might be better burgers in Atlanta (I haven't tried the famed ones at Holman and Finch or Ann's Snack Bar) and I agree it's a bit of a scene, I absolutely think Flip would make a valuable addition to DC. The meals I've had at the Atlanta location have been inventive and delicious - more of a high end sandwich shop really with kick ass fryer and shake stations. Generally when I want a burger I'm going to this little-known spot over in Arlington, but you better believe I'd go to Flip three times before spending the same price point on the daily quality crapshoot at BGR or the consistent mediocrity at Good Stuff.

Blais said on the WaPo chat that he is still planning on opening in DC.

Great, a place to get a burger with foam! B)

Am I the only one that thinks a dab of foam on a plate looks like spit? Has this already been covered in the trite food thread?

Great, a place to get a burger with foam! B)

Am I the only one that thinks a dab of foam on a plate looks like spit? Has this already been covered in the trite food thread?

FWIW Richard wasn't the one putting foam on every dish--that was Marcel Vigneron, who now has a show on the Syfy channel. Richard tends to employ techniques like flash freezing and using unexpected ingredients (like the butternut squash "noodles" in the yacht club episode or the foie gras ice cream in the finale dessert). And he used many fewer showy gimmicks in this season than he did on his previous appearance on the show.

FWIW Richard wasn't the one putting foam on every dish--that was Marcel Vigneron, who now has a show on the Syfy channel. Richard tends to employ techniques like flash freezing and using unexpected ingredients (like the butternut squash "noodles" in the yacht club episode or the foie gras ice cream in the finale dessert). And he used many fewer showy gimmicks in this season than he did on his previous appearance on the show.

I was referring to the flip burger menu that has a burger with swiss cheese foam.