"Top Chef" (2006-) Reality Chef-Competition Series on Bravo - Now in Season 16

cheezepowder

Remember this guy?

Well, he turned around and wrote the piece that says what pretty much everyone I know and respect thinks to be true: Why Top Chef Is Bad For Gastronomy. In essence, too many children using Top Chef as their inspiration don't know jack diddly shit.

Recently, I saw the archetypal example of this mentality: a long rejection letter written by a young kid to a restaurant, saying that there's no way he'd ever be sous chef to <superbly talented chef> because, essentially, "I can cook better than he can, and want to do things my way." Oh God, if I can get permission to reprint this letter, you'll be left howling with laughter.

Well, he turned around and wrote the piece that says what pretty much everyone I know and respect thinks to be true: Why Top Chef Is Bad For Gastronomy. In essence, too many children using Top Chef as their inspiration don't know jack diddly shit.

Perhaps off-topic, but the article you link to mentions Harold Dieterle (and the Voltaggios) as an exception: hard working chefs who can actually cook. I just wanted to note that his restaurant in the West Village, Perilla, is excellent. You will also note that his bio does not mention Top Chef.

Perhaps off-topic, but the article you link to mentions Harold Dieterle (and the Voltaggios) as an exception: hard working chefs who can actually cook. I just wanted to note that his restaurant in the West Village, Perilla, is excellent. You will also note that his bio does not mention Top Chef.

It seems like such a long time ago, but does anyone remember when Charlie Palmer Steak was actually a great restaurant? It really was.

It seems like such a long time ago, but does anyone remember when Charlie Palmer Steak was actually a great restaurant? It really was.

I sure do. I worked directly across the street during Bryan Voltaggio's entire run there. I actually managed to score an invitation to the opening party, which was one of the single most decadent experiences I can recall. After that, I was almost a regular. Even the bar food was good.

IMO, Top Chef really sucks this season, but the last episode, w/ Charlize Theron, & the chefs doing Snow White/Evil Queen/good & evil themed plates was actually entertaining-one thing I don't quite understand, scallops are TC 'sure thing', they cook quickly, can adapt to lots of flavor profiles, why aren't shrimp as popular?

The episode with Charlize was the best one of the season so far. I didn't like all the team challenges and/or challenges associated with Texas such as chili cook-out, cook BBQ all night, or serve steaks to 300 Texans. I'm guessing shrimp aren't as popular because it's not a luxury ingredient? Also, can you spot mealy shrimp at the market? I've heard judges complain about mealy shrimp.

The episode with Charlize was the best one of the season so far. I didn't like all the team challenges and/or challenges associated with Texas such as chili cook-out, cook BBQ all night, or serve steaks to 300 Texans. I'm guessing shrimp aren't as popular because it's not a luxury ingredient? Also, can you spot mealy shrimp at the market? I've heard judges complain about mealy shrimp.

This is my favorite episode thus far as well. I think shrimp aren't chosen because they are almost always previously frozen; whereas, scallops are doused with preservatives but more likely available at the market ostensibly fresh.

I've been so disappointed this season. Usually I watch and am intrigued by the chefs enough that I hope I travel to their city so I can try their food. This season, for the most part, I've been writing off places I might otherwise want to try because the chef's have been so unbearable. (And yes, I realize editing monkey's are at work here.) I'll finish the season but I'm not sure I'll be watching next time...

why aren't shrimp as popular?

I think part of the reason is there is a heck of a lot more time involved peeling and cleaning shrimp, esp. given the time restraints of the Top Chef challenges. There was all sorts of faux Top Chef drama earlier this season when Bev had to clean 400 shrimp. Scallops, you just remove the little adductor muscle and off you go.

Ah,yes, the shrimp drama with Beverly. Glad she's gone. She could not go the distance, although it appeared as though she has a great talent for developing flavors.

Perhaps it's just me, but Beverly seemed to have a certain passive-aggressive streak that simmered just beneath her unassuming, petite frame. Or, she's just extremely unaware of anyone around her.

Perhaps it's just me, but Beverly seemed to have a certain passive-aggressive streak that simmered just beneath her unassuming, petite frame. Or, she's just extremely unaware of anyone around her.

Sadly, P-A is present in many traditional East Asian households amongst women. Don't know if you read the outpourings from the Tiger Mom articles, but they say or resonate the same message: women aren't exactly taught to express or know what to do with emotions; we're just taught to hold it inside. And that's every little annoyance, talking down, etc. So it's passive until it's bubbles over. Beverly has been exhibiting classic East Asian woman behavior, although she's been good at fighting back here and there when she has her confidence.

I'll be in the minority and express my love for this season; maybe it's due to the midwestern representation, but I'm loving their personalities (or at least the top 10 folks, although, I, too, am a bit unsure how I feel about Beverly). Even if the cooking has not "wowed" in the past like The Voltaggio Brothers' season, the presentation is cleaner imho. Plus, I guess it helps that Malibu and Paul have nice smiles (even if Malibu is off limits).

I'm liking Ed and Grayson for their personalities (as edited for TV), but feel that Paul is the man to beat when it comes to cooking. Has he ever been in the bottom when he's been solely responsible for a dish? I don't recall that he has. Hoping that those three end up in the finale.

Thank you for the insight. I also agree about the contestants being an overall nice group of people. There has been minimal "throwing under the bus", and a whole lot of team support. They seem to have a more mature and focused group of chefs this year.

I actually feel that there has been MORE of this during this season. The women on the show, especially, seem to pretty much hate each other. There have not been major blow-ups as there have been in past seasons, but those blow-ups generally happened between two people, this season there just seems to be a general hatred amongst the women. I also think that they have more team challenges this season than in year's past, so the show is creating a setting for more drama.

The episode this week, again, was pretty ridiculous. They are down to the final six and they are giving the chefs 150 minutes to make food for a 200 person block party in 100+ degree heat? What is the purpose of this? Does it really show their skills? Hell, they were making chicken salad sandwiches, does that really show who is a top chef? And, my favorite standard sandwich in the world is chicken salad on pumpernickel bread with tomatoes, muenster cheese and bacon, but I still think it is crazy that people are going head to head in a chicken salad contest.

And next week, when they are down to the final five, Pee Wee Herman is the guest and they are riding bikes all over San Antonio. Listen, I understand that they have to make these challenges more interesting then everyone just getting whatever ingredients they want and cooking in a kitchen, but this season it seems somewhat ridiculous.

I don't get what Paul Rubens has to do with food besides movie theater popcorn, so I think especially at this point in the competition, they are disrespecting the cheftestants with gimmickry.

Don't tell me-- they have to cook with Tequila :rolleyes: . No, they have to do shots of Tequila and then ride the Big Adventure bike to a biker bar and do the Big Shoe Dance while breaking down chickens, dicing onions and shucking clams.

I believe Pee-wee's connection is more to Texas, than food, specifically to the Alamo (and its basement see 2:20 in the clip) ...everyone must have seen "Pee-wee's Big Adventure", right? right?? :)

Pee-wee tweeted yesterday that he loves pancakes. Based on the preview video on the Top Chef website, they'll be the Quickfire Challenge.

I really agree with what was said above about the outrageous challenges really limiting the chefs to the point that you really can't see their talent (except the last episode). Last night was once again really annoying in that way. I would think this season also hasn't done a good job of making people want to go to the restaurants of the chefs involved like past seasons because you really haven't been able to see their talent, as well. I really haven't enjoyed this season as I have others. They are on the path to becoming as ridiculous as other chef challenge shows that I don't watch...

It could have been so much better, so easily, just with a very limited budget, the time constraints, and served family style.

I did watch the last chance episode online but they didn't reveal if it's Grayson or Bev coming back. Of course the editing and Tom C's phrasing gives the slight nod to Grayson to be the one picked but I've been so wrong before based on comments.

'TOP CHEF' - Bravo Padma Lakshmi & Tom Colicchio, hosts.

The Mission Productions in conjunction with Bravo is casting the tenth season of Top Chef, the Emmy and James Beard Award-winning reality TV cooking competition series. Padma Lakshmi & Tom Colicchio, hosts. Shoot dates and locations TBD.

Seeking Male/Female Chefs - 18+ who have a passion for food! You need to have ingenuity, charisma, and be experienced at cooking, thorough knowledge of cooking techniques & trends.

Auditions will be held:

Feb. 25, 10 a.m.-1 p.m. at Empire State South, 999 Peachtree St., Atlanta, GA

Feb. 27, 10 a.m.-1 p.m. at Kitchit, 848 Folsom Ave., San Francisco, CA

Feb. 29, 10 a.m.-1 p.m. at Graffiato, 707 6th St. NW, Washington, DC

Mar. 2, 10 a.m.-1 p.m. at The Foundry on Melrose, 7465 Melrose Ave., L.A.

To apply, mail the completed application, along with pix & résumés, 15 photos of your finely plated food (on CD), and a 5-min video showcasing your personality while cooking & plating a signature dish to The Mission Productions, Top Chef CASTING– Cycle 10, 6255 Sunset Blvd. Suite 1600, L.A. 90028. Submission deadline: Mar. 1. No pay.

It makes me mad that they give a contestant a free pass to the final four just because they are the best at picking out ingredients with a blindfold on. Yes, everyone was at the same disadvantage and still had to execute their dish, but it is just such a dumb challenge that it makes me upset.

Ed is gone, Paul better win, he is the only one that seems slightly deserving to me.

Really? TC Texas goes to Vancouver BC (why??) and they're cooking in a gondola flying between mountain peaks? WTF? If they wanted cramped quarters and motion sickness, certainly they could have put them on houseboats in Texas lake.

Thank you Bravo for ruining my favorite show. I realize that it may say a lot about me that Top Chef is my favorite show, but I don't freakin care, I always look forward to the episode's on Wednesday nights.

With that being said, I am fine with them going from Texas to Canada for the finale, they always do it in another locale, but why the terrible challenges? The gondola was bad enough, but having them use an ice pick to get food out of ice blocks was even worse. But wait, they weren't done yet! Then they made these people who have never gone skiing before go cross country skiing and shoot targets to get ingredients!? Are you freakin kidding me!?

If Paul doesn't win, I may throw my TV out the window.

I hate to waste a whole post on 'ditto', but for the last few episodes, I've been tivoing it, & checking TWOP in the morning, to see how disgusted I'm going to be-Paul for the win (after Ed & Grayson PYKG'd, pretty much the only reason to watch, although I've enjoyed Beverly's redemptive arc).

I wonder if part of my (and maybe collectively our) disenchantment with Top Chef has come from watching Chopped with four (probably) talented chefs who do nothing but cook, with the only challenges being a strange kitchen, weird ingredients and time constraints? Of course there isn't a sense of connection or rooting for or against a particular chef, but for me the delight of these shows is the actual cooking. I think Top Chef Just Desserts was so much better than this season because there was more time & attention paid by the producers to the cooking instead of "What Weird Thing Will We Do Next"

I agree - the reunion show was really enjoyable to watch. The above "Mediocre Chef" bit, in addition to the "real Gail Simmons" stuff, was good old-fashioned editing fun.

I just hope, for Season 10, that they go back to what made the show compelling when it was awesome - COOKING challenges, not crazy gimmicky nonsense.

Am I the only one who watched, 'Life after Top Chef' last night? Yes, I admit it, I'm a Bravo slut, as much as I try to give it up...I thought the show wasn't too bad, & there was a strong local vibe, w/ Jen cooking at Rogue 24, brief appearance by Mike Isabella, & Spike, of course...

Just watched the first two episodes, which I recorded and saved for a lazy weekend. I can see why some people don't like the show - there really isn't any cooking to speak of, and the endless self-promotion can certainly get tiresome. But with my brother-in-law coming off an unsuccessful tryout for the upcoming season of TC (he was cut in the absolute final rounds of casting), AND knowing what it has been like for him in his attempts to open his own restaurant, I find it interesting to watch all of the paths that these folks have taken to their "success," however they define it and whether or not they have actually achieved it yet. Plus, after watching all of the various seasons of TC, I find myself caring about these people at least a little bit, so it can be fun to find out what they are up to.

All of that said, I just don't understand why Spike Mendelsohn finds it necessary to be so distateful. It is very clearly intentional. He may be able to cook up and down the Eastern seaboard, but I don't ever want to watch anything in which he participates because his on-air persona is so abrasive and insulting.

I watched TC10 first show last night, I will admit it, I LOVE this show (& have a couple of seasons on DVD). To get the contestants in, they divided them between 4 kitchens/challenges- Colicchio-butchering & line, Puck- omelette, Acheson- salad, & Lagasse-soup. I think Tom's was the most difficult, he was testing their nerve & presence on the line at his restaurant. The omelette crew w/ Puck came off as the worst, those were some sorry looking omelettes....

I liked it. Seems to be some good talent unlike the past few seasons. Carla Pellegrino looks like a real housewife of XX mob wife. Those lips :blink:

Meanwhile Spike is not only on Next Iron Chef (AGAIN) but he is back on Bravo on Life After Top Chef. This guy can't get enough.

The scary thing was they had 45 minutes to produce omelettes, so most of them threw in everything but the kitchen sink, & the only one that was attractive (Chrissy) was apparently lacking salt- they all piled a bunch of extraneous ingredients on top of the omelettes, to cover up flaws....The show can only get more interesting....

I was lucky enough to have an opportunity to interview judges Tom Colicchio and Gail Simmons when they were in town last weekend for the Metropolitan Cooking & Entertaining Show. I asked them what they thought about the success that DC Top Cheftestants have had after being on the show and they really wouldn't take any credit. I asked specifically about the chef from Seasonal Pantry (saying I thought his restaurant was about to be an even tougher reservation to get) and they looked at me blankly. That should have been a clue that he didn't make it to Seattle. I'm disappointed, as it's always fun to root for hometown chefs. I'm looking forward to watching Bart Vandaele of Belga Cafe. He looks like he's going to be lots of fun to watch. Here's a link to my interview: http://beenthereeatenthat.net/2012/11/exclusive-interview-with-top-chef-judges-tom-colicchio-and-gail-simmons/ for anyone who's interested.

I asked specifically about the chef from Seasonal Pantry (saying I thought his restaurant was about to be an even tougher reservation to get) and they looked at me blankly. That should have been a clue that he didn't make it to Seattle. I'm disappointed, as it's always fun to root for hometown chefs. I'm looking forward to watching Bart Vandaele of Belga Cafe. He looks like he's going to be lots of fun to watch.

I just watched it on free On Demand, and I am really glad Chef O'Brien is not moving on. I was really upset the edited portion showed him making an off-hand comment that I took as a racist comment toward Chef Yagi. NOT. Ok. I will never dine there, as I took his comment quite personally, even if that isn't what he meant. The conscious lack of courtesy made humor is preciously why there's a continual divide in this nation. I'm not exactly sure why but I'm still feeling rather sick from his comment.