cheezepowder

"Top Chef" (2006-) Reality Chef-Competition Series on Bravo - Now in Season 16

I thought Casey was about to waive her immunity when she was crying about feeling guilty.

Ditto. But clearly she didn't feel guilty enough. ;)

Did anyone else find the teams completely superflous? I mean if they were all doing "trios" why even bother with a team? Each person seemed to work independently of the other two and they all took credit for their own piece and the only one that really seemed to have any cohesive (and successful) theme was the shrimp. But the entire meal should have been linked together and flowed if executed correctly so why inexplicably link their performance to someone else because the dish shared the same plate space? I understand the concept when the team creates a single dish to see how they worked as a team towards a singular goal but this just seemed forced.

I was wondering if anyone who had seen the most recent Top Chef knew anything about the blue-ribbon adorned Chaine des Rotisseurs who were part of the tasting group on the elimination challenge.

I confess, I knew nothing about this group when I saw them. Personally, I found them to of be rather snooty.

When looking at their US website- it's kind of chintzy. The Baltimore chapter has professional members which are chain restaurants like Ruth's Chris and Mccomack and Schmidt's. And also- no group in NYC, Vegas, or LA.

Anyone know the deal about this group?

I don't know anything about them, but I think they looked utterly stupid and I agree seemed a bit pompous. Maybe next time we have a DR event, we can dress up also. We can start something up and have little ribbons and color code them according to how many DR events we have attended. Add little star pins for how many posts we've done. Add Twenty Dollar Tuesday bling bling (bronze, sliver and gold for number of events attended).

Padma hasn't returned any of my calls yet. I guess she must be busy with the divorce proceedings. I plan to cut my calls down to 5 times a day-- I'm sure she has a lot on her plate.

Clearly she's playing hard to get!

is it just me, or has anyone else noticed a significant increase in the number of gratuitous t&a camera shots in this season?

is it just me, or has anyone else noticed a significant increase in the number of gratuitous t&a camera shots in this season?

I've noticed a bit of that, too. Not that much, but more than in the prior two seasons for sure. Doesn't make sense.

My guess is that they are showing more T&A because they actually have some T&A that are worth seeing this season (Camille and Casey).

For last night's quickfire challenge of making something creative out of premade pie crust, there were a lot of tarts. I thought they could have used the pie crust more imaginatively. I also thought it was interesting that two people made tatins. I was sorry to see Lia go.

For last night's quickfire challenge of making something creative out of premade pie crust, there were a lot of tarts.
did anyone else notice that in the quickfire challenge they didn't show (asian) sara n. and her dish? they showed her making it, but then at the end when the pastry chef and padma were walking around tasting, hers was nowhere to be seen.

What's the deal with the scar on my lovely Padma's arm?

She was in a car accident some years ago. Her scar has been her trademark in her modeling career, setting her apart from others. At the begining of this (TC)season, I caught her on an episode of The View. She said she is not ashamed of the scar, and has no desire to hide it. Indeed, this season, they are shooting her from the right side, whereas last year, she was shot almost exlusively from the left. Hence, it's apparent this season.

I thought they could have used the pie crust more imaginatively... I was sorry to see Lia go.

Agreed on both counts.

Overall positive review of the show over here. She responds to a comment from Jamie Lee Curtis (of all people) about how the show seems hurtful and we shouldn't want to watch it. Whereas I think that "Top Chef" isn't nearly as bad about humiliating its contestants as most reality TV. I don't watch it to see people break down, I watch it to see people cook.

By the way, they're taking Season 4 applications through August 22nd or so -- get in there! We need the DC area represented.

By the way, they're taking Season 4 applications through August 22nd or so -- get in there! We need the DC area represented.

inside-dvd-streetcar2.jpg

"ZOORRRAAA!!!!!"

did anyone else notice that in the quickfire challenge they didn't show (asian) sara n. and her dish? they showed her making it, but then at the end when the pastry chef and padma were walking around tasting, hers was nowhere to be seen.

I hadn't noticed that at the time, but now that you mention it...They haven't been giving her much screen time in these episodes. She probably hasn't had much exciting-for-tv drama going on, and she hasn't been doing that well with her dishes either.

I'm hoping that in one of the final episodes, the Season 3 finalists will have to cook for the chefs from Seasons 1 and 2 who were in the Season 1 v. 2 matchup. See how the Season 3 finalists feel with the tables turned. ;)

inside-dvd-streetcar2.jpg

"ZOORRRAAA!!!!!"

So you think "I coulda been a contender?" LOL! Love ya, babe. But have you noticed that there doesn't appear to be anyone over 40 in the group of contestants this year? Especially among the women. That counts me out right away.

And other than Micah, the caterer, they all work in restaurants. So who among our talented YOUNG restaurant chefs in town is willing to take 3 months off of work to do the show next season? We could work up a list and draft someone.

Have had no TV this week, but my wife looked it up online and told me the results. I'll have to see the episode for myself then. Surprising to see so many women go in a row, though.

So you think "I coulda been a contender?" LOL! Love ya, babe. But have you noticed that there doesn't appear to be anyone over 40 in the group of contestants this year? Especially among the women. That counts me out right away.

And other than Micah, the caterer, they all work in restaurants. So who among our talented YOUNG restaurant chefs in town is willing to take 3 months off of work to do the show next season? We could work up a list and draft someone.

I would LOVE to see Landrum and Poivrot Farci on this show. The entertainment value would be through the roof. The only two potential problems: Wikipedia crashing every Wednesday night as people all across america try to figure out obscure French philosophical references and the good chance that Michael would be brought up on manslaughter charges after some judge inevitably says that he isn't venturing outside of his Ray's the Steaks comfort zone...

Was it just me and my poor eyesight, or were all of Gail Simmons' shots through a filter (à la Cybil Shepard in Moonlighting) in last night's "Watch what Happens" special? Would have liked to hear a bit more from 'silent Sam' and I wish Dave was in every season - love him!

And didn't you love how Micah had to jump in and remind us all ONE MORE TIME that she has a child (after Camille mentioned she'd left her restaurant and child to be on the show).

I hope Al D. got to see the tribute to his 'lovely Padma' and her kitchen fashion statements :angry: .

I hope Al D. got to see the tribute to his 'lovely Padma' and her kitchen fashion statements :angry: .

Missed it... B)

Last night's show was pretty boring. I enjoyed the Padma tribute, but my favorite part was the mock quick fire challenge performed by the 2nd season cast! Thirty seconds to cook steak, eggs, and........a potato.

Last night's show was pretty boring. I enjoyed the Padma tribute, but my favorite part was the mock quick fire challenge performed by the 2nd season cast! Thirty seconds to cook steak, eggs, and........a potato.

Now, Padma, that's a work of art. That was a funny scene, they were drunk as hell. Back to Padma, my new GQ arrived a few days ago, and there a pretty nice layout of her this month. I swear GQ is a much better than esquire. There is a full section on men and cooking. Check the the slideshow of padma out. They left some of the best photos out the this month's issue

http://men.style.com/gq/features/landing?id=content_5768

Missed it... B)
Not to worry, I'm sure they'll rerun (and rerun and rerun) the show today and in the next week. Didn't miss a whole lot, just quick shots of her throughout the season thus far (in practical gear like short shorts, laceup espadrilles, etc). But as she said on the show (and it appears in the GQ article): "On the show, all I have to do is think, talk, and eat, and I think I’m dressed to do all those things.”

I also got a kick out of the Tim Gunn 'questions' - especially the one about whether or not Steven (Season 1) was "real" :angry: