"Top Chef" (2006-) Reality Chef-Competition Series on Bravo - Now in Season 16

cheezepowder

13 hours ago, Pool Boy said:

I gave up on this show maybe 6 to 8 seasons ago. It's one of the best of the format, but it is just over IMHO.

I still enjoy it.  It's theater, but fun to see what great chefs can do when thrown a curveball.  Even better when they just say - cook a great meal.

I have to say that by the final five or so, I kept thinking how great the remaining contestants were as people (and I'd throw Eric from DC in this group as well).  In other seasons, there were always a few jerks who you actively rooted against.  Who goes on national tv and presents themselves that way?

13 hours ago, Pool Boy said:

I gave up on this show maybe 6 to 8 seasons ago. It's one of the best of the format, but it is just over IMHO.

Obviously to each their own, but I think this most recent season was the best ever. The quality of the contestants was absurdly high. They seemed to get along really, really well. The one chef, Malarkey, who was kind of cast as the "heel" for this season seems to have been universally loved by the other chefs on the show. And I thought the finale in Italy was very well done. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Mark Dedrick said:

Obviously to each their own, but I think this most recent season was the best ever. The quality of the contestants was absurdly high. They seemed to get along really, really well. The one chef, Malarkey, who was kind of cast as the "heel" for this season seems to have been universally loved by the other chefs on the show. And I thought the finale in Italy was very well done. 

I completely agree

I enjoyed it as well.  In the third to last show when critiquing Bryan V's take on the parmigiana reggiano saying "it had no soul," I swear I saw tears spring to his eyes.    Malarkey was edited to be the heel, but I've seen him on other shows and he does seem to usually be on the arrogant side of confidence.  Although, what a surprise, a head chef might be arrogant!

• Like 1

Funny Malarkey story...a few years ago on a trip back to San Diego, a group of us went to Herb & Wood, one of his restaurants in the Little Italy neighborhood. When Malarkey unexpectedly stopped by our table to see how things were going, my brother (who was a little drunk) told a very NSFW joke about how dill bread comes from dill dough. At the end of our meal, Malarkey brought out actual dill bread in the shape of male genitalia for us, and because he knew we wouldn't want dill bread at the end of our meal, he also brought out a chocolate cake in the shape of male genitalia with a side of ice cream. That has endeared him to me forever. Wish I had taken pictures but I was too caught up in the moment, and probably a little drunk myself at that point. 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Ericandblueboy said:

Buddha clearly knows a lot about the show and cooking in general but some of the other chefs just don't want his advice - very frustrating to watch.  Shocked that Buddha was the next to last person picked in Restaurant Wars - are these people crazy?

Agreed! i wonder if it is because his cooking is so specific (more conceptual) and they didn't think they could blend into his style. But agreed, that was a mistake of a late pic. 

Interesting thoughts - puts a more positive spin on why Don hates Top Chef so much.  The random cocaine comment - which was just thrown out and then never explained - also caught my attention.

On 4/22/2022 at 5:57 PM, Ericandblueboy said:

Buddha clearly knows a lot about the show and cooking in general but some of the other chefs just don't want his advice - very frustrating to watch.  Shocked that Buddha was the next to last person picked in Restaurant Wars - are these people crazy?

I dunno - he's a great chef and clearly knows strategy.  But having watched a lot of this show, I think 'Cooked someone else's food (conceptual or style) and got sent home' is also extremely familiar to all the participants.

6 hours ago, zgast said:

End of the season. Without throwing in spoilers, was pretty satisfied with how it went. I’d love to try a meal with any of the last 5-6 chefs. 

Agreed on all counts. Also, I just went back and have been watching some early seasons in the background of other things. The caliber of the chefs and cooking now is incomparable to the first few seasons. Also the challenges a lot more serious. 

• Like 1

On 6/5/2022 at 8:30 PM, ALB said:

Agreed on all counts. Also, I just went back and have been watching some early seasons in the background of other things. The caliber of the chefs and cooking now is incomparable to the first few seasons. Also the challenges a lot more serious. 

Agree with both of you. I thought this was a very enjoyable season across the board, and the top chefs (so to speak) were all quite likeable.