cheezepowder

"Top Chef" (2006-) Reality Chef-Competition Series on Bravo - Now in Season 16

Yeah, Top Chef won me back a good bit last night. Mainly because Chef Pagonis is back, but also because they had some interesting twists with the way they brought a chef back and the judges shopping for the contestants (just fun). I honestly don't see how Gregory won't win, but I have high hopes that George will make it far this time around. 

Sorry to see Doug go in last night's challenge, but he just didn't get it together.  I hope he does well in the LCK.  Nice to see George continuing to the final 4

Cheftestants announced for Season 13 and there are 3 local chefs to root for:

This season's cheftestants include: Karen Akunowicz (Boston, MA), Angelina Bastidas (Miami, FL), Carl Dooley (Boston, MA), Garret Flemming (Washington, DC), Jeremy Ford (Miami, FL), Renee Kelly (Shawnee Mision, KS), Phillip Frankland Lee (Los Angeles, CA), Marjorie Meek-Bradley (Washington, D.C.), Kwame Onwuachi (Washington, D.C.), Amar Santana (Orange County, CA), Grayson Schmitz (New York, NY), Jason Stratton (Seattle, WA), Frances Tariga-Weshnak (New York, NY), Isaac Toups (New Orleans), Wesley True (Atlanta, GA), Giselle Wellman (Los Angeles, CA), and Chad White (San Diego, CA & Tijuana, Mexico).

New season starts airing in December
  • Like 2

Yeah for this:

Garret Flemming (Washington, DC),

Marjorie Meek-Bradley (Washington, D.C.),

Kwame Onwuachi (Washington, D.C.),

I don't know if any of the others are repeats from past seasons, but Grayson Schmitz is. (I remember the unusual name)

• Like 2

the new season started last night, and I missed it, but they're doing a 2-part premiere with the first part being repeated tonight at 9:00 on Bravo followed immediately by the second half of the premiere at 10:00

Yay, TC is back! SPOILER- of the local chefs competing, 1 is kicked off in the first episode & 1 wins the 2nd episode.& it's amazing how quickly certain chefs can become annoying, even after maybe 10 minutes of screen time-unfortunately, lots of these will stick around, because quiet, competent chefs make for boring tv.

• Like 3

Another DC win last night -- congrats to Kwame Onwuachi.  And in Last Chance Kitchen, the teaser showed that Garnett Flemming had made it thru the first round of that.

• Like 1

I've only watched the first episode so far but it was a doozy with DC's Garret Fleming providing some great quotes.  The first was his out of the blue attack on Mike Isabella, who he accused of "serving one of the worst bastardizations of Italian food in the history of the world".  Just a bit hyperbolic.

HIs next quote took me two or three watchings to realize I'm not smart enough know what the hell he's talking about.  I like the first line, but he loses me with the rest, but hey, I'm just a dumb engineer, not an English or philosophy major!  (and it was trying to understand statements like this that drove me to engineering school in the first place!!)

"If you have your head up your culinary ass, you're never going to grow as a chef. Cooking is a continuation of philosophy because it's a study of aesthetics. Gustatory aesthetics. But there's nothing more connective with human existence than the cultural manifestation of cuisine."

Guess who was the first one voted off?

• Like 2

Guess who was the first one voted off?

He's now competing on "Last Chance Kitchen," where those who are voted off Top Chef can fight to return to the on-air competition. He has already defeated two chefs. It's unlikely he will survive long enough to make it back on the show- he has a long way to go.  I'm wondering about the quality of his restaurant "Barrel."  Has anyone been?

• Like 1

And, he's now off the show, as Grayson beat him. I've been to Barrel a few times. It's good cocktails and solid bar food. I was surprised to see him on the show. 

• Like 2

Another win for Kwame, congrats!  With Marjorie also wowing the judges but getting nudged out.  Nice showing by our hometown chefs.  Unfortunately, the annoyiing manbun chef remains.

• Like 3

ratings saved manbun, methinks.  Not much love or hate behind the gal who got the boot.

• Like 2

Marjorie's team didn't do well last night, but she was fine as her milk bread and pickles got raves. Saw on Twitter last night that both will be featured at her upcoming pastrami shop.

• Like 3

really enjoying this season with chefs Kwame & Marjorie. I had an opportunity to eat their food at a collaborative dinner at Ripple earlier this week. Kwame is really quite talented and I'm hoping his performance in the last two episodes is just a blip. This week Tom Colicchio tells Marjie she is the best baker who's been on the show, after she makes milk bread.  Great comment and it looked delicious, but what exactly is milk bread?

This week's challenge was quite odd- with judges' expectations not explained until it was too late to meet them, and an unexplained appearance by Colin Hanks.

Still it's fun to watch.  I look forward to what's ahead for Marjorie at Ripple and Smoked & Stacked and Kwame's upcoming Shaw Bijou due to open in the spring.

• Like 3

really enjoying this season with chefs Kwame & Marjorie. I had an opportunity to eat their food at a collaborative dinner at Ripple earlier this week. Kwame is really quite talented and I'm hoping his performance in the last two episodes is just a blip. This week Tom Colicchio tells Marjie she is the best baker who's been on the show, after she makes milk bread.  Great comment and it looked delicious, but what exactly is milk bread?

This week's challenge was quite odd- with judges' expectations not explained until it was too late to meet them, and an unexplained appearance by Colin Hanks.

Still it's fun to watch.  I look forward to what's ahead for Marjorie at Ripple and Smoked & Stacked and Kwame's upcoming Shaw Bijou due to open in the spring.

Yeah, also no offense to the Judges, but wanting huge hunks of meat, then sending them off to Whole Foods just made the whole things a bit odd on expectations.  On Last Chance Kitchen they brought in big chunks of meat that were not available for the Beefsteak, so if they wanted big meat, why didn't they recognize that was going to be hard to get at Whole Foods in that quantity? I thought that was a little disingenuous.  Someone seemed to comment about it briefly on the show.

• Like 1

Totally agree with Lori and kt........it seemed like none of the clearly understood the concept of the "meat bowl" or whatever it was called.  I got a little annoyed at the judges being annoyed at the chefs!  If all 10 of them got it wrong, it's obvious that the directions were not at all clear.

I also thought it was a little weird and surprising that they were falling all over themselves to praise Phillip's lamb dish.  It looked almost identical to the frozen, pre-seasoned lamb you get at Trader Joes........throw it on the grill for 4 or 5 mins a side, let it rest, cut it up, and you're done.

• Like 2

I have to disagree -- the chefs were told that it was a meat fest, no utensils, a throwback to a politico-mafia dinner, and it's called Beefsteak.  My mind immediately went to basically a swordless churrascaria sort of meal and I was very surprised that most of the chefs didn't understand that's what was asked for.   I'm glad that Marjorie continues to do well, and hope that Kwame gets his head back in the game.  I think his idea of the peel-and-eat shrimp was a good one, but it's just hard to  prepare that much shrimp so that each one is perfect when it hits the judge's table.

• Like 1