Jump to content
cheezepowder

"Top Chef" (2006-) Reality Chef-Competition Series on Bravo - Now in Season 16

Recommended Posts

Fabio will be doing wine tasting for his wine at a few DC area Whole Foods on June 29 and 30 (Pentagon City, P St, and Georgetown).   RSVP here to meet him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, weezy said:

Actually sounds kind of cool for a small restaurant, and if you have dietary restrictions they will know what is in a dish and what they can or cannot do. They should be able to explain the food and help you decide better what you want.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was driving through Arlington (near Wilson and Washington) and think I saw a sign that some a "top chef" chef was opening a restaurant there soon. The font was really odd (and I was driving) so I didn't see it. It's the space next to (the 4 star) Asiatique at about this address:  3225 Washington Blvd, Arlington. I will try to read the funky sign next time I drive by but thought some DR detective might be able to figure it out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Le kon. I don't know French. Does that translate to the con? Kidding. Menu looks good. Location has no foot traffic.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Found this job posting on Indeed:

Asian Latin fusion restaurant with food designed by Top Chef star, Katsuji Tanabe. Looking for experienced servers in the heart of Clarendon. Full availability is preferred with experience working in a fast paced, trendy and casual environment.

Job Types: Full-time, Part-time, Temporary

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The sign says it's open at 5 now. I drive by daily and the awning blocks the sign in the am and pm. If I were the owner, I'd flood-light the top of that sign...

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A new season has started on Top Chef.  They're centered in Louisville KY for this season and we have a local chef to root for, Eric Adejpong, who formerly worked at Kith/Kin but now owns a catering company.  He's made it through the first round.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I enjoy the Top Chef franchise. I live tweeted the season opener. It was gobs of fun, and I think I will be doing it often. Chef Adejpong shows promise, but I am rooting for #teamnini. 

Who will be Top Chef?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, curiouskitkatt said:

Who will be Top Chef?

I still watch but I can't really remember who won the last few seasons (had to look it up on Wikipedia). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Ericandblueboy said:

I still watch but I can't really remember who won the last few seasons (had to look it up on Wikipedia). 

One of the three bears, Joe Flamm. He is the executive chef at Spiaggia in Chicago. Winner of season 15. I really wanted Chef Chris to win. His current location is in Brooklyn, but he has roots in Philly and visits Lancaster County often. It would have been nice to get a little bit of that Top Chef action here in Amish Country. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm surprised Nini got the boot since she won 2 consecutive elimination challenges before RW.  But she was a mess as the front of the house.  

Of the contestants, only David Viana (Philly) seems to be consistently good.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ericandblueboy said:

I'm surprised Nini got the boot since she won 2 consecutive elimination challenges before RW.  But she was a mess as the front of the house.  

Of the contestants, only David Viana (Philly) seems to be consistently good.

I was shocked to see Nini voted off the island. Damn shame. I was rooting for her, but I have a hunch she  won't be going leaving the Top Chef posse just quite yet. 

in other news, in today's version of 6 degrees of separation, I leaned that my coworker's son works at Laurel on Passyunk Ave, and I plan on making a visit to check out the buzz.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It shows that you're only as good as your most recent performance. 

I do hate that they put such an emphasis on front of house in RW. Yes, the chefs should have a say on service, but there should be a FOH manager appointed for each team (they used to have to do the design work themselves, but now they have consultants). Also, it seems like at least on this version of RW the servers had very little experience being restaurant servers -- I'm guessing they were either catering servers or extras hired. That's not the kind of person you would hire if you were opening up a restaurant like any of the concepts illustrated on this episode.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/4/2019 at 12:00 PM, Deac said:

I do hate that they put such an emphasis on front of house in RW. Yes, the chefs should have a say on service, but there should be a FOH manager appointed for each team (they used to have to do the design work themselves, but now they have consultants). Also, it seems like at least on this version of RW the servers had very little experience being restaurant servers -- I'm guessing they were either catering servers or extras hired. That's not the kind of person you would hire if you were opening up a restaurant like any of the concepts illustrated on this episode.

Having to cook a dish and work front of house with inexperienced servers isn't fair, but neither is having to use "flavor shooters, a new savory product by Philadelphia Cream Cheese" (C) Padma.

Top Chef is more of a competition with cooking, rather than a cooking competition. And to their credit, they have consistently judged the contestants based on their most recent performance -- it was 11 years ago that Trey Wilcox and his dry bread pudding fell victim to the Restaurant Wars curse. Nini deserved to go based on what we saw (edited), and most importantly I was entertained.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I intensely dislike Sara (the chef from Kentucky).  She seems to claim expertise at everything but then fails miserably.  She’s lucky there are even more miserable failures.  

Kelsey won the last challenge with raw oysters on the half shell?  What is this contest coming to?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/25/2019 at 8:26 AM, Ericandblueboy said:

I intensely dislike Sara (the chef from Kentucky).  She seems to claim expertise at everything but then fails miserably.  She’s lucky there are even more miserable failures.  

Kelsey won the last challenge with raw oysters on the half shell?  What is this contest coming to?

Agreed on Sara.  Her luck won't hold much longer.

As for Kelsey, she was very smart in how she approached the challenge -- something cold and refreshing on a hot day, familiar but with a tasty twist, and she didn't try to oversell it, so her dish stood out.  In a sit-down restaurant with A/C, maybe she wouldn't have won.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sara continues her bombastic personality streak.  She first brags about her fried chicken then buys packaged waffle mix.  When called out on it, she gets mad and accuses others of not playing fair.  Somehow she survives for another week.  

Wonder what would've happened if the two chicken and waffle dishes went head to head as originally envisioned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, she didn't brag about her waffles, just the chicken, and the judges all agreed it was great fried chicken.  But I, too, hope she has to pack her knives and go soon.  Really happy to see our hometown guy, Eric, doing so well.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eric wins this week!  Good for him, a $10k reward for his efforts.  And Sara must be getting some really nasty editing because I'm not seeing the other chefs, overall, being lukewarm to her and her 2nd-place finish this week.  They all seemed genuine in their hearty congratulations to her.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, weezy said:

Eric wins this week!  Good for him, a $10k reward for his efforts.  And Sara must be getting some really nasty editing because I'm not seeing the other chefs, overall, being lukewarm to her and her 2nd-place finish this week.  They all seemed genuine in their hearty congratulations to her.  

I’m very happy for Eric! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eric continues to impress even though he didn't get the win this past week.  Colicchio noted that he doesn't try to do all kinds of new, weird and crazy things, but focuses on his food and finding new ways to present & prepare it.  It helps, though, that Eric's food is something that's already a different approach and flavor profile to what is routinely served up to the judges.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...